• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 1839

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Didn't someone said we were gonna get more Fire Emblem news this month? Was that from a random twitter handle or someone legitimately? I don't recall.

Jan 13, 2018
Shoutouts to u/CatastrophicGaming from reddit who compiled all relevant threads regarding the newly rumored Direct:​

"Just as a note, in case you don't have the time to read the full post, there's a TL;DR at the bottom giving a brief overview.

Also thought I'd say, it's very likely that a Direct might happen before the 22nd. But I titled the post without realizing the 22nd is a Monday, and that it's possible a direct could happen after the 22nd as well.

Ok. So personally, I loved all of the trolling Nintendo did, I loved the Mini Direct, and I assume there will be more since they've got a lot to cover in regards to 2018. While I'm not saying that this is any indication that there will 100% be a new Nintendo Direct within the next month, I though I would just compile my thoughts and a prediction on when the next Nintendo Direct might happen.

First, the major topic: This post by u/Moonlight23 on r/Nintendo shows that there's a new Nintendo Direct within 20 days of a Mini Direct. Obviously this is a big point, and while we usually have a Direct each month, it seems that having a Mini Direct means that they need to get the announcements out of the way that people might not get as hyped over and give them a spotlight for some time before the big-hitters drop.

Next: This post from u/NeoNosferatu about his in-store Nintendo Switch Demo unit getting an update. He mentioned that a Nintendo Rep messed with the Demo Unit and said it would update with 10 new games (or something of that form) on the 22nd. Now, in the comments there was a check of validity, and it appeared that he has been working or worked at a game store, so there is a chance it's real. Beyond that. Let's say the Direct happens on the 22nd (or even before that), then that means his in-store Demo Unit updates with new games that were announced and featured games with demos and trailers shown during a Direct that happen on or before that day. So compounding these two things, a Direct either on the 22nd or before that is very possible.

The Third Factor: this post by u/ben9900 mentions Nintendo of Japan has left the blank space on the Nintendo Direct Website there. Every time that there is a blank space freed up on the Japan Direct Website, that means within a couple of days, a new Direct would be announced or streamed (usually, it may have been more than a couple of days). Add this to the fact that we had a Mini Direct, which is usually followed by a big Nintendo Direct within 20 days, and that we have rumor of in-store Demo Units getting updates that will launch on the 22nd, the plot thickens.

Finally, the last point that I present to you: Nintendo still has a ton of information that they need to get to the public. Just having a Mini Direct and not following it up or doing anything bigger until April or E3 will leave a lot of people wanting more, and leaves a lot of things to talk about, primarily, the Online Service. I could understand if we don't get any info until a Direct closer to the Online Service official launch, or maybe we'll even get a Direct focused entirely on the Online Service, but regardless, Nintendo probably has some game announcements to make, an Online Service to reveal, new system updates, and possibly more surprises.

TL;DR - Big Nintendo Directs happen within 20 days of a Mini Direct, u/NeoNosferatu remarked on his in-store unit having an update with 10 new titles on the 22nd (11 days after the Mini Direct), Japan's Direct website left a blank space again, which is a precursor to some form of Nintendo Direct happening, and Nintendo has a lot of things they need to discuss and possibly reveal still, such as the Online Service.

All of this is speculation, and it's very compelling evidence, but none of this confirms that there's a Direct happening on the 22nd or before then. So take this all with a grain of salt.

Also keep the discussion going in the comments. I'd like to hear what everyone thinks."

Link:
https://www.reddit.com/r/NintendoSw...ect_on_the_22nd_speculation_compiling_all_of/

Sadist

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Holland
Third parties don't have to announce through Direct; we've heard about third parties ramping up support for the system, but most of them are going to do so on their own terms. I mean, Capcom announced Mega Man 11/Mega Man Collection 1 + 2 + X/Street Fighter Anniversary Colection within in a matter of days and through their own channels. I'm only speculating, but I imagine more third parties will announce their stuff in the same way.

The real question is, will we see an increase in PS4/Xbox One/Switch announcements? I'm still not expecting a massive wave of announcements, but a respectable number filling up the library of the system. The Assassin's Creed Rogue thing was something I expected to have a Switch version, but I guess thats not in the plans.

Yavga

Banned
Dec 20, 2017
Shoutouts to u/CatastrophicGaming from reddit who compiled all relevant threads regarding the newly rumored Direct:​

"Stuff"

Also keep the discussion going in the comments. I'd like to hear what everyone thinks."

Link:
https://www.reddit.com/r/NintendoSw...ect_on_the_22nd_speculation_compiling_all_of/

Then there's the announced maintenance as well that may or may not be relevant:

https://www.nintendo.com/consumer/network/en_na/network_status.jsp

Kriegshand

Oct 28, 2017
I knew there was something fishy about this direct mini and most of the games are ports with no release dates? Where is the suppose rumor Tales game that to be release sometime in march? Bayonetta 1+2 no mention?

Bandai Namco stated officially that there will be announcements (not releases) for 3 big titles from spring to summer 2018. Concretely they plan announcements from march to september 2018. So these games were never into consideration for this january direct. These games could be part of an E3 lineup because of the wording "big" and the announcement window.

http://nintendoeverything.com/banda...three-big-titles-will-be-announced-next-year/

Honestly I think this mini direct could have easily been a "normal direct" even with no difference in the games shown. Just show full trailers for a bunch of these and slow the pace a bit and you easily get this over 20 minutes with more stuff than several past "regular" directs. It's kinda weird how Nintendo just rapid fired it off and made it a "mini".

Yeah I think there was plenty in it. Maybe they wanted to set expectations that there wouldn't be any big new games announced.

Exactly! Hype went through the roof but Nintendo didn't want to show up with the big guns too early in the year. Even ill-foundet dissappointment can lead to negative PR. Maybe this was also the reason for the stealth release of the direct. They probably renamed the direct to "direct-mini" in the last minute after discussions how to approach the ill-foundet hype.

I think there will be a direct related to summer releases before E3. But don't expect Nintendo to drop the big guns like Metroid Prime before E3. The best thing you can hope for is Nintendo to adress their online system alongside a bigger title releasing in may. This way Nintendo can avoid having confusion or discussions at E3.

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2018
There's also the fact that:
  • No 3DS games mentioned
  • No online announcement
  • No VC
  • No Yoshi
  • No Fire Emblem
  • No Project Octopath
Even if some of these games can be addressed later there's still the fact that the 3DS lacks a direct even though this will be it's "last year." Date speculation aside, just these unaddressed info should provide some evidence that there will be direct sooner or later. Whether it'd be game specific, or a full on regular direct I don't know, but for certain Nintendo's not done with directs this time around.

Last edited:

Nintex

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
There's also the fact that:
  • No 3DS games mentioned
  • No online announcement
  • No VC
  • No Yoshi
  • No Fire Emblem
  • No Project Octopath
Even if some of these games can be addressed later there's still the fact that the 3DS lacks a direct even though this will be it's "last year." There will be direct soon. Whether it'd be game specific, or a full on regular direct I don't know, but for certain Nintendo's not done with directs this time around.
As far as Nintendo is concerned they have a system on the market that sells like hot cakes and they can't keep up with demand.
Unlike with the Wii U there's no reason to rush things. Looking at the line-up now they'll probably add some digital only titles for the first half and give some attention to third party releases coming between now and July 2018. I think however that July is the month we will see the next big first party Nintendo release, it remains to be seen what it is.

NoE has the following listed:

February:
Dragon Quest Builders
Fe
Bayonetta + Bayonetta 2
PAYDAY 2®

March:
Kirby Star Allies

May:
Dark Souls™: Remastered
Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze

'Spring'
Hyrule Warriors: Definitive Edition
Mario Tennis Aces

Nintendo will probably announce more stuff leading up to Q1 but Kirby is obviously the big game for the first quarter.
The second quarter has Mario Tennis as the tent pole release, supported by Hyrule Warriors and Donkey Kong.
Compared to February, March is pretty light on releases so something like South Park and Wolfenstein releasing during that time would make sense.

The focus of this Direct seems to have primarily to date some things like Kirby Star Allies and give a sneak peak of new releases such as Mario Tennis Aces and Hyrule Warriors. They probably left some gaps for yet to be released third party games as well. But like I said, demand is high so there's no reason to roll out the big guns just yet.
However, Nintendo does consider Kirby one of their core IP's. The line-up of the first 12 months of the Switch still blows away much of the other Nintendo systems.
With the case of Yoshi and Kirby, they probably planned those both for Q1 to make sure at least one of the games would make it, to avoid droughts like the Wii U had. It might need some more time in the oven.

Zippo

Banned
Dec 8, 2017
I'm in basically the same boat. Betting on general direct, but can't rule out a franchise one. Still doubt it would be Fire Emblem in that case, though.

Same. There's still so many games that we haven't heard about in a good 6 months, Bayonetta still is giant mystery, there's gotta be more, some things just aren't adding up. EPD apparently has 11 teams, and not a single one of them has a game announced, that's crazy to me, considering the Switch isn't even a year old yet. Another possibility is that they may have a hands- on event soon, which they do near or after Directs. The Reddit rumor sounds peculiar, but that might just be demos of games from last year. Next week will be very interesting...

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
A game specific Direct would make sense, sure, but there is still so much we have been expecting for them to talk about that they haven't. I think a general one is needed. But who the hell knows with Nintendo.

If they don't talk about the online service by January 31st I'll be very surprised. Doesn't have to be in a Direct, but some statement about it by then is almost guaranteed in my mind.

If a general Direct happens I'll sit in a puddle

You may wanna attach a time frame to that.

julian

Oct 27, 2017
Guess I should finally get around to playing Celeste on Pico-8. I played a level or two a few months back and it was cool, but I didn't bother hooking up a controller and really giving it a shot

ITSMILNER

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What if, let's say this will be a more port heavy year, the line up from Nintendo in 2018 is as follows

March
Kirby Star Allies

April
Hyrule Warriors

May:
Mario Tennis Aces

June
Super Smash Bros Deluxe

July
Yoshi

August
Another Wii U port (One of the HD Zeldas)

September
Pikmin 4

October
Mario Maker Deluxe

November
Retro Studios game

Both Deluxe games featuring all previous content plus new content like a proper single player in Smash, new Characters/Stages/items etc.....

For me that would be a solid year and then they will have MP4 and Pokemon as the headliners for 2019

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
What if, let's say this will be a more port heavy year, the line up from Nintendo in 2018 is as follows

March
Kirby Star Allies

April
Hyrule Warriors

May:
Mario Tennis Aces

June
Super Smash Bros Deluxe

July
Yoshi

August

September
Pikmin 4

October
Mario Maker Deluxe

November
Retro Studios game

Both Deluxe games featuring all previous content plus new content like a proper single player in Smash, new Characters/Stages/items etc.....

For me that would be a solid year and then they will have MP4 and Pokemon as the headliners for 2019
Fire Emblem delayed?

Gonzalez

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is nitpicky, but I got to point it out.... I really really hate that these directs show game footage at around 30fps. Like for instants a game like Tropical Freeze that I heard so much about, looked incredibly unappealing during this direct. But then I watch Dan Rycker play this over at Giant Bomb, and believe me I was stunned. The detail in the foreground, and background made me do an about face on this game. So please Nintendo if the games are at 60, then show them at 60! Stop half-assing it!

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is nitpicky, but I got to point it out.... I really really hate that these directs show game footage at around 30fps. Like for instants a game like Tropical Freeze that I heard so much about, looked incredibly unappealing during this direct. But then I watch Dan Rycker play this over at Giant Bomb, and believe me I was stunned. The detail in the foreground, and background made me do an about face on this game. So please Nintendo if the games are at 60, then show them at 60! Stop half-assing it!
but the youtube video was 60fps. maybe the footage they displayed was 30? I'll have to go back and check

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017

March
Kirby Star Allies

April
Hyrule Warriors

May:
Mario Tennis Aces

June
Super Smash Bros Deluxe

July
Yoshi

August

September
Pikmin 4

October
Mario Maker Deluxe

November
Retro Studios game

Lol I love how Retro's mysterious game just gets peppered in anywhere

I agree though, with or without it's a solid year as far as Nintendo is concerned, with some evergreen titles like Zelda and Mario out and new owners floooding in.

Oct 30, 2017
People posting Mario Maker deluxe coming out this year. Why would they release this so early when they can milk you with a NSMBU port first.

Deleted member 11276

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The real question is, will we see an increase in PS4/Xbox One/Switch announcements? I'm still not expecting a massive wave of announcements, but a respectable number filling up the library of the system. The Assassin's Creed Rogue thing was something I expected to have a Switch version, but I guess thats not in the plans.

That is the question. After the success of the Switch, new big third party games should release on it as well.

I'd rather have the new AC on the Switch than a Rogue remaster.

Fawk Nin

Nov 6, 2017
I have no issue with ports in general, but so far it's not the ports I would have hoped for. On the third party front, I just hope stuff either comes day in date or at a lower price. I'd like to play these games on my switch but by the time it arrives they are usually €20 on PlayStation or Xbox.

Lpchaim

Oct 25, 2017
Reminds me, folks were wondering if Kirby was gonna be 60 since pretty much every one of them after 64 was but the Direct displayed it at 30. I guess there's a chance then, it doesn't strike me as particularly graphically intensive anyway.

As for ports, I welcome them since I never owned a Wii U. Finally getting to Play lots of games I missed!

jariw

Oct 27, 2017
All this speculation everywhere about a future "main" Direct, makes me wondering: has any game journalists asked Nintendo about it?

SchuckyDucky

Avenger
Nov 5, 2017
Third parties don't have to announce through Direct; we've heard about third parties ramping up support for the system, but most of them are going to do so on their own terms. I mean, Capcom announced Mega Man 11/Mega Man Collection 1 + 2 + X/Street Fighter Anniversary Colection within in a matter of days and through their own channels. I'm only speculating, but I imagine more third parties will announce their stuff in the same way.

Valkryia Chronicles 4 and LA Noire were also announced outside of Directs. That's going to be a lot more common going forward given the Switch's success and the support it should continue to get.

I was also surprised that there wasn't a Switch version of AC Rouge. I still think we will get some bigger game from Ubi though. Maybe the Ezio Collection or the South Park games.

Zippo

Banned
Dec 8, 2017
This Direct runor definitely blew up. Most of the major Nintendo channels and sites
(Switch Force, Nintendo Life, NintendoEverything, Spawn Wave, etc.) have covered it. Guess it shows how much some people are unsatisfied with the Direct. Whatever the case, 2 million views in under 24 hours is an amazing success.

memoryman3

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

I'm pretty sure all the 60fps games including DKC were shown at 60fps in the Direct. Watch it on YouTube instead of Twitch. The former has superior content delivery.

Ethifury

Dec 4, 2017
I'll keep it in mind
... if I don't forget about it by then :P

I won't hold you over it. Also, are you Roo from IGN?

If I compare the cache you provided in an earlier post with the current list, then the removal of Bayonetta, Smash and Hyrule Warriors should be expected, since your cache is missing four directs compared to the up-to-date one. The bottom three have been booted (Smash, Bayonetta and Hyrule Warriors), so their disappearance is not at all indicative of anything. The disappearance of the FE direct is much more interesting, since it should still be in the list based on when it aired. I think that's evidence that we might get a FE direct soon. Of course, it's not at all strong evidence, since the disappearance of those other directs may just be coincidence, and it's possible that they would also have been removed had they not naturally dropped off. We'll see how things pan out in the next 3 weeks, could be an FE direct or a general one, but I think it's more likely to be an FE direct.

I hope FE releases H1 2018, I'm really looking forward to it!

Maybe a SMTxFE port?

Didn't someone said we were gonna get more Fire Emblem news this month? Was that from a random twitter handle or someone legitimately? I don't recall.

That was just users stating that last night

As far as Nintendo is concerned they have a system on the market that sells like hot cakes and they can't keep up with demand.
Unlike with the Wii U there's no reason to rush things. Looking at the line-up now they'll probably add some digital only titles for the first half and give some attention to third party releases coming between now and July 2018. I think however that July is the month we will see the next big first party Nintendo release, it remains to be seen what it is.

NoE has the following listed:

February:
Dragon Quest Builders
Fe
Bayonetta + Bayonetta 2
PAYDAY 2®

March:
Kirby Star Allies

May:
Dark Souls™: Remastered

'Spring'
Hyrule Warriors: Definitive Edition
Mario Tennis Aces

Nintendo will probably announce more stuff leading up to Q1 but Kirby is obviously the big game for the first quarter.
The second quarter has Mario Tennis as the tent pole release, supported by Hyrule Warriors and Donkey Kong.
Compared to February, March is pretty light on releases so something like South Park and Wolfenstein releasing during that time would make sense.

The focus of this Direct seems to have primarily to date some things like Kirby Star Allies and give a sneak peak of new releases such as Mario Tennis Aces and Hyrule Warriors. They probably left some gaps for yet to be released third party games as well. But like I said, demand is high so there's no reason to roll out the big guns just yet.
However, Nintendo does consider Kirby one of their core IP's. The line-up of the first 12 months of the Switch still blows away much of the other Nintendo systems.
With the case of Yoshi and Kirby, they probably planned those both for Q1 to make sure at least one of the games would make it, to avoid droughts like the Wii U had. It might need some more time in the oven.

March and May is looking sparse. Isn't there games releasing in April from Nintendo?

There's never going to be another Direct ever again!
Let's say if a general Direct happens within the next month I'll sit in a puddle

Holding you to it :P

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
This Direct runor definitely blew up. Most of the major Nintendo channels and sites
(Switch Force, Nintendo Life, NintendoEverything, Spawn Wave, etc.) have covered it. Guess it shows how much some people are unsatisfied with the Direct. Whatever the case, 2 million views in under 24 hours is an amazing success.
"People" who frequent NintendoLife aren't the same sect of "people" buying the Switch in the millions, I guarantee you.

So many Switch owners will never even know Tropical Freeze is an old game, I guarantee you.

Oct 25, 2017
January - Lost Sphear? Bit of a dead zone
February - Bayonetta 1+2, Dragon Quest Builders, Payday 2
March - Kirby Star Allies
April - Project Octopath Traveler, Hyrule Warriors, Wolfenstein 2
May - Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze, Dark Souls Remastered, Street Fighter 30th Anniversary
June - Mario Tennis Aces, YS 8, Yoshi
July - Unannounced Third Party title, SNK Heroines
August - Fire Emblem
September - Bravely Default HD Collection, Unannounced Third Party title, Unannounced Nintendo exclusive
October - Valkyria Chronicles 4, Travis Strikes Again: No More Heroes
November - Unannounced Nintendo exclusive (Pokemon or Animal Crossing)
December - The World Ends With You Final Mix

Not a bad year

Oct 25, 2017
Just a heads up, most games announced during the Direct are up for pre-order on Amazon. It's funny looking at my pre-order list for 2018 and seeing mostly 3rd party retail games for a Nintendo console lol.

rzmunch

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Argentina
I think Nintendo needs to convey what will happen with the online before the 31 because of the shareholders. I might not be a direct maybe a press release?

I think there can be a direct in the next 4 weeks but I wouldnt bet on it.

Cinemikel

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Plenty of Games to give details/release dates on:

Fire Emblem Switch
Octopath Traveler
Bayonetta 1&2
Arena of Valor
Morphies Law
Metroid Prime 4
Yoshi Switch
Hollow Knight
Info on Minecraft physical/better together update
Lost Sphear
Travis Strikes Again: No More Heroes
Wargroove
Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night
Street Fighter 30th Anniversary
Blazblue: Cross Tag Battle
Valkyria Chronicles 4
Phantasy Star Online 2 (Japan)
Wolfenstein II
Mega Man 11
Mega Man Legacy Collection 1 and 2
Mega Man X1 through X8
Outlast 1 and 2
Wasteland 2: Director's Cut
Attack on Titan 2
Super Meat Boy Forever
Dragon Quest Builders II

Edit: maybe even the rumored South Park TFBH too

That and streaming apps, Youtube, OS updates (similar to Wii U OS update in Jan 2013 Direct) and DLC for Xenoblade Chronicles 2/Fire Emblem Warriors.

DMONKUMA I agree. Rather have that pinned as a highlight of ResetERA history. But I wouldn't be surprised if something comes up within the next 2.5 weeks.
That sure is an interesting list you got there and a specific select choice of wording too

buffy-staring.gif

jk it's funny

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
At best we could get another mini Direct happening around April/May to cover whatever their summer release schedule is. Then E3 can cover August through December.

Common Knowledge

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
January - Lost Sphear? Bit of a dead zone
February - Bayonetta 1+2, Dragon Quest Builders, Payday 2
March - Kirby Star Allies
April - Project Octopath Traveler, Hyrule Warriors, Wolfenstein 2
May - Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze, Dark Souls Remastered, Street Fighter 30th Anniversary
June - Mario Tennis Aces, YS 8, Yoshi
July - Unannounced Third Party title, SNK Heroines
August - Fire Emblem
September - Bravely Default HD Collection, Unannounced Third Party title, Unannounced Nintendo exclusive
October - Valkyria Chronicles 4, Travis Strikes Again: No More Heroes
November - Unannounced Nintendo exclusive (Pokemon or Animal Crossing)
December - The World Ends With You Final Mix

Not a bad year

Are you just speculating about a Bravely Default Collection? Cause every other game you named is announced except that one, so I got confused (and excited) for second that maybe I missed the news on that.

New Fang

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

March
Kirby Star Allies

April
Hyrule Warriors

May:
Mario Tennis Aces

June
Super Smash Bros Deluxe

July
Yoshi

August

September
Pikmin 4

October
Mario Maker Deluxe

November
Retro Studios game

It's a near certainty the next Fire Emblem is coming this year. Also, with the release of Animal Crossing on mobile it seems very likely we'll see a console version this year.

All this speculation everywhere about a future "main" Direct, makes me wondering: has any game journalists asked Nintendo about it?
That would be a waste of time as they're just going to give a stock generic answer like "we'll let everyone know when their is another Direct coming".

Status
Not open for further replies.