• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Espescially since there is a lot of stuff we know they can/should talk about but they chose not to. And we have a free space on direct list even with mini added.

Just wanted to add to your post a bit. A lot of new people hear about a new possible direct and presume it's just fanboy dreams with no base in reality.
Thanks for sharing the open space in the Directs page too. The past has shown a Direct has come usually soon after a Mini.

jorgejjvr

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Espescially since there is a lot of stuff we know they can/should talk about but they chose not to. And we have a free space on direct list even with mini added.

Just wanted to add to your post a bit. A lot of new people hear about a new possible direct and presume it's just fanboy dreams with no base in reality.
Exactly. They obviously wanted to get the smaller announcements, and ports out of the way.

To add to it all, games that will likely come early in the year were neglected. Like bayo, wolfenstein, and I'm likely missing something else.

It is certainly not a fanboy dream, but everything hints to it, and if anything, it just makes sense for it to happen.

It does not even have to be this week or next month, but any time before e3

Fomortiis

Jan 2, 2018
The empty space on the direct page is what has me the most convinced, though it's apparently getting smoky in here. I hope its not imaginary smoke though... A not-imaginary fiery hot direct would be great

Deleted member 11276

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My dream would be another Direct hype... it was so wonderful with you guys... Resetting the clock is life!

ITS EVEN BETTER THAN THE DIRECTS AND YOU KNOW IT.

Oct 27, 2017
User warned: Console wars, inflammatory language
"Speaking with Mainichi, Kimishima said: "In order to be playable in the long term, the second year is crucial. Our task is to add more users, including people who barely touch game consoles. 'He also said Nintendo has to expand the game library, take in new players, and raise the Switch as 'a game console with long lifespan.'"

Boy I can't wait to see all the salt on Nintendo fanboys tears when they start announcing more casual games. These triggered snowflakes won't know what hit them.

Deleted member 8791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I hope Fire Emblem deepens the relationship aspect personally. Then again I'm a FE casual that has only really ever liked Heroes, heh.

DPT120

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think I could handle another reset. I'm going to not believe in the Direct. If it happens, it'll be a nice surprise.

Oct 26, 2017
Exactly. They obviously wanted to get the smaller announcements, and ports out of the way.

To add to it all, games that will likely come early in the year were neglected. Like bayo, wolfenstein, and I'm likely missing something else.

It is certainly not a fanboy dream, but everything hints to it, and if anything, it just makes sense for it to happen.

It does not even have to be this week or next month, but any time before e3
How can you cite lack of Bayonetta 1&2 showing as a hint of this if you say the date doesn't matter?

Common Knowledge

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I've come to terms that relationships are probably going to be a staple part of FE now, but they damn better sure actually put an effort into the story and world-building in FE Switch. Not the throwing random shit at a wall just to quickly give context for the next battle that the recent games have done.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
Yet Echoes only sold a fraction of what Awakening/Fates did. It wasn't a major release.

Irrelevant to this thread, but as we've gone into exhaustively in the Radiant Dawn thread, this is overstated. We only have Japan's initial numbers, and there are a number of factors for why it wouldn't do well there, as well as why it would do less well overall, regardless of its content.

According to what we know from NPD and Nintendo, Echoes did quite well abroad, and exceeded expectations.

Fomortiis

Jan 2, 2018
Speaking of Echoes, I wonder how close the Japanese and international releases of FE Switch will be, they tried to get it as close with Echoes as possible. Same with Warriors, both were about a month apart.

Irrelevant to this thread, but as we've gone into exhaustively in the Radiant Dawn thread, this is overstated. We only have Japan's initial numbers, and there are a number of factors for why it wouldn't do well there, as well as why it would do less well overall, regardless of its content.

According to what we know from NPD and Nintendo, Echoes did quite well abroad, and exceeded expectations.

Oh, really? Wonderful. I've been wondering how it did but I've never been able to find numbers on it.

Deleted member 2791

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I didn't mean to say that it sold badly or under the expectations, but that it wasn't a major title like Awakening or Fates, and sold less as a consequence. Fire Emblem Switch is supposed to be the next major entry, so it is more likely to be like Awakening and Fates rather than Echoes.

Deleted member 8791

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Indeed. That guy was a reliable source in the last few days and he was right about the thursday direct last week.

I think its worth its own thread...
Fire Emblem tweet guy? Eh, idk. He's been right on one big thing so far, that FE Switch wouldn't be on the mini direct. This could imply he has some source at IS. We know they are open for leaks: we had a major Fire Emblem Heroes leaker a few months back, leaking 2 months of new events and units. So I can definitely see that. But going from there to knowing the date for when FE will be revealed... I will defo keep my eyes out extra next week but hard to give him that much credit already imo.

Jan 13, 2018

Also adding on to your point there's this:
  • "When asked if this momentum can continue, Kimishima said Nintendo's games are focused on the family demographic. In the future, different sorts of genres will be covered by third-parties, which will help expand the system's user base. Other companies may also be able to release game consoles that are more interesting, so if Nintendo doesn't think of new ways to play, the momentum could come to a halt right away."
Pres. Kimishima plans to let third-parties have this year to shine after Nintendo dominated the library with their games last year. Pretty sure Dark Souls Remastered isn't the only major third party they plan to release in the first half and there's still Wolfenstein 2 too that's not announced. Again, investors meeting is coming up and this direct could be their way of backing up their claim to sell 20 million or more units this next fiscal year and keep investors happy.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
Speaking of Echoes, I wonder how close the Japanese and international releases of FE Switch will be, they tried to get it as close with Echoes as possible. Same with Warriors, both were about a month apart.

Oh, really? Wonderful. I've been wondering how it did but I've never been able to find numbers on it.

Yeah, it's frustrating that U.S./international numbers are so rarely given. As for release dates, it does seem as though they're trying to narrow them with each recent release, so it's plausible that FE: Switch would be simultaneous.

For reference: Awakening had a 10.5 month release gap. Fates had an 8 month gap. Echoes had a 1 month gap, and had the addition of full voice acting that needed localization.

jorgejjvr

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Also adding on to your point there's this:
  • "When asked if this momentum can continue, Kimishima said Nintendo's games are focused on the family demographic. In the future, different sorts of genres will be covered by third-parties, which will help expand the system's user base. Other companies may also be able to release game consoles that are more interesting, so if Nintendo doesn't think of new ways to play, the momentum could come to a halt right away."
Pres. Kimishima plans to let third-parties have this year to shine after Nintendo dominated the library with their games last year. Pretty sure Dark Souls Remastered isn't the only major third party they plan to release in the first half and there's still Wolfenstein 2 too that's not announced. Again, investors meeting is coming up and this direct could be their way of backing up their claim to sell 20 million or more units this next fiscal year and keep investors happy.
We should put all the points into one post.

Nintendo does want to sell another 20 million, a big task. They have to have the games to get there.

This is just something on the side from me, but this makes me believe Pokémon is a holiday title.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't mean to say that it sold badly or under the expectations, but that it wasn't a major title like Awakening or Fates, and sold less as a consequence. Fire Emblem Switch is supposed to be the next major entry, so it is more likely to be like Awakening and Fates rather than Echoes.

Given how Fire Emblem changes significantly with each hardware generation, I wouldn't expect it to have wholesale similarities to any previous game; rather, expect it to draw from various different ones, including Echoes with its exploration (which was meant to be in Fates), while also bringing many new mechanics.

Deleted member 8791

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
We should put all the points into one post.

Nintendo does want to sell another 20 million, a big task. They have to have the games to get there.

This is just something on the side from me, but this makes me believe Pokémon is a holiday title.
For me the big points summarized are:

- Empty spot on Direct site even after Mini. This never fails in the past.
- Lack of obvious stuff to talk about. Fire Emblem, Bayo 1-2, Yoshi, Octopath, Wolfenstein, anything from EPD's 11 teams including the "new ways to play"
- By simply adding a few of these + 3DS they could have skipped the whole Mini thing. Why do a Mini if you don't have to and then not have another direct for months?
- Nintendo wants to sell 20m units, is current lineup enough to carry momentum fully until June? I'd say no, we lack one big game. imo it is indeed Fire Emblem. Probably a more casual aimed game as well.
- Small point for now, but a guy with apparently a source from IS correctly predicted no Fire Emblem in 11th direct. He says reveal will be on the 18th. Take this with a pinch of salt for now!

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think we should keep it here until we have a least a little more evidence. I feel an air of genuine honesty from him though, i don't know why.
I mean the little more evidence will come Tuesday or Wednesday. Remember Monday is Martin Luther King Jr. Day so nothing will be announced Monday if there is a Direct this week.

Lunchbox

ƃuoɹʍ ʇᴉ ƃuᴉop ǝɹ,noʎ 'ʇɥƃᴉɹ sᴉɥʇ pɐǝɹ noʎ ɟI
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Rip City
I hope Fire Emblem Switch lays off the waifus and relationships
Nah bruh, that's not happening.

I've come to terms that relationships are probably going to be a staple part of FE now, but they damn better sure actually put an effort into the story and world-building in FE Switch. Not the throwing random shit at a wall just to quickly give context for the next battle that the recent games have done.
This, I love the waifus/husbandos the rest of the game suffers though and I don't see why, the writing for relationships isn't exactly story tier.

Lady Bow

Nov 30, 2017
I do think we should stick to discussing the phantom sequel direct in here.
78Lg3qz.gif

Deleted member 11276

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Well, seems like there is not enough of evidence yet.

But if that guy is right, we should be hearing something on monday or tuesday.

Oct 26, 2017
Another thing to point out; we still have yet to see Tales of and Taiko on Switch when both are supposedly still due by March 31st.

Time's running out to reveal both. I would've thought Bandai Namco would've confirmed a delay if they wouldn't make it.

Yoshi's also an odd omission from the Mini Direct.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Don't get this thread locked for no reason, complaining about people hyping themselves or hyping yourself over just two tweets is not useful in the slightest. Speculating over the possibiltiy of a direct soon can be done without having to resort to hype trains or exasperation.

100% agree with this. It's an interesting thing to discuss but we don't need to repeat all of that nonsense.

My dream would be another Direct hype... it was so wonderful with you guys... Resetting the clock is life!

ITS EVEN BETTER THAN THE DIRECTS AND YOU KNOW IT.

Make a thread in etctera called "Hyping up the next hour forever!"

I do agree that the hype thread was better than the Direct but I don't have the heart, the energy or the time to do that again this week. Others might though!

Wow people are still posting this... What's the last time you remember seeing two generally focused directs in quick succession?

Well, when's the last time we had a global Direct mini? Never is the answer. And I don't think people are banking on this being a general Direct, I think it's likely going to be FE focused with a few minutes for some other games. Like the ARMS and Splatoon April Direct last year.

For me the big points summarized are:

- Empty spot on Direct site even after Mini. This never fails in the past.
- Lack of obvious stuff to talk about. Fire Emblem, Bayo 1-2, Yoshi, Octopath, Wolfenstein, anything from EPD's 11 teams including the "new ways to play"
- By simply adding a few of these + 3DS they could have skipped the whole Mini thing. Why do a Mini if you don't have to and then not have another direct for months?
- Nintendo wants to sell 20m units, is current lineup enough to carry momentum fully until June? I'd say no, we lack one big game. imo it is indeed Fire Emblem. Probably a more casual aimed game as well.
- Small point for now, but a guy with apparently a source from IS correctly predicted no Fire Emblem in 11th direct. He says reveal will be on the 18th. Take this with a pinch of salt for now!

The bolded is the most damning point to me. Why on earth would they do a Direct mini when they could've easily stretched it into a full Direct with games that have already been announced but need some further marketing and detailing?

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If it's just a FE Direct...one of my least favorite Nintendo franchises would be another letdown of a Direct for me lol.

Zippo

Banned
Dec 8, 2017
The guy claimed that it was going to be a general direct with FE just happening to be in it, so there's that.

Kane

Oct 28, 2017
The biggest reason why I think that a new direct might be coming soon is because they didn't mention any new 3DS games in the mini one. I think that Nintendo still has some surprises for the 3DS, and we also need release dates for those Atlus RPGs, so they need to talk about it soon, and a full Direct makes a lot of sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.