• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Delio

Oct 25, 2017
For those just chiming in, and keeping it simple, this is the current mania
  • Some guy on reddit, verified apparently, has stated a Nintendo rep came into the store to update their demo Switch unit stating that the update's content (10 or so "new titles" and videos) would go live on 22/01.
  • ResetEra user Chrompostedabout hearing on the grapevine that a second Direct would be likely this week, though also small in focus and possibly themed on "games and accessories".
  • History denotes that every "mini Direct" from Nintendo thus far has been followed by another Direct within maximum 20 days (note: this is not evidence of a guaranteed trend).
  • An empty slot has appeared on the Nintendo Japan Direct website, which historically denotes a Direct within 2 - 3 weeks.
And here we are.

Thanks for putting it all in one place. I was wondering what the leaker had said.

Zippo

Banned
Dec 8, 2017
Here's a quick summary of what Chrom said so that there's no confusion:

-There will be a Mini Direct on Thursday.
- It will be shorter than last week's Direct.
-He has no idea what's actually in it, besides "games and accessories".
-Says they're planning a much bigger Direct for February.
-It will not focus on a single game or franchise.

Oct 25, 2017
Man, you guys are hungry for directs lol. On my end, I'd love a Nindies direct at some point, just to see what's coming down the grapevine and if games like hollow knight are getting closer to ready. Otherwise though, in terms of big retail releases, we have a good idea of what's up until May. If Nintendo do another direct in the next few months, they're just blowing their position and showing stuff too soon. Don't get me wrong I'd love some bigger direct but as it stands, I'm pretty happy too.

Deleted member 8791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Man, you guys are hungry for directs lol. On my end, I'd love a Nindies direct at some point, just to see what's coming down the grapevine and if games like hollow knight are getting closer to ready. Otherwise though, in terms of big retail releases, we have a good idea of what's up until May. If Nintendo do another direct in the next few months, they're just blowing their position and showing stuff too soon. Don't get me wrong I'd love some bigger direct but as it stands, I'm pretty happy too.
Of course I wouldn't mind a direct but it's not like there are 0 reasons to expect a direct and we are expecting for the sake of it. There are factors, some of the best posted last page.

VN1X

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Tropical Freeze showing up as May the 4th on Nintendo's website. Really hope Hyrule Warriors is in March or sooner at least. :(

I want all the games!

Oct 25, 2017
Of course I wouldn't mind a direct but it's not like there are 0 reasons to expect a direct and we are expecting for the sake of it. There are factors, some of the best posted last page.

Oh totally, I'm not contradicting any of them or trying to. Just literally saying where I'm at and why I'm okay with it haha. I know what's coming until May, that's gonna take a lot of my money and time so I'm pretty happy. Of course, if they do another, you won't find me complaining.

Deleted member 8791

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Oh totally, I'm not contradicting any of them or trying to. Just literally saying where I'm at and why I'm okay with it haha. I know what's coming until May, that's gonna take a lot of my money and time so I'm pretty happy. Of course, if they do another, you won't find me complaining.
Cool :) just a lot of people popping up lately, seeing Direct talk, and then not really reading anything but instead just saying how stupid of others to expect another direct. So I just replied out of reflex basically lol.

Oct 25, 2017
Cool :) just a lot of people popping up lately, seeing Direct talk, and then not really reading anything but instead just saying how stupid of others to expect another direct. So I just replied out of reflex basically lol.

Haha okay, I gotcha. Nah I read the Eat Children summary on the last page. I don't think it's stupid at all, I do find the dedication hilarious/amazing, I don't really tune into these things until they're on the verge of happening but I dig you all track this stuff.

At least in one regard, I would be happy for some more announcements. I was super into what they showed off a few days ago, but I didn't feel like there was that one game for my partner and she's feeling a little cold on the lineup for spring as a result. She loves Animal Crossing, Style Savvy etc and outside of Stardew, I don't think she feels like there's really a title filling that spot right now on switch. If they could announce something I could point to, that would be nice.

Etc.

Banned
Oct 31, 2017

sweet

Fishsnot

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Japan
Chrom said "games and accessories". It could be new Joy-Cons or Amiibos for upcoming games. Or something entirely new.

It could be the VC and the game changing accessories could be this:
IMG_8654.jpg

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Where is the placeholder?
It's not a placeholder per se, but rather an empty spot. The direct list had 15 direct entries right before the mini, and now it still has a hole. I myself haven't been closely following the direct page, but people who did have said that an empty spot at the bottom of the list almost always happens when a direct is about to come. Normally the list is filled up with the new direct, but now an empty spot has appeared, at the cost of the Fire Emblem direct. That in itself is conspicuous, as I noted, since FE was in the middle of the list, but now it has been taken out, instead of having the bottom direct drop off the list.

As many have said, it is circumstantial, and relies on the assumption that Nintendo Japan stick to the pattern and didn't just clean up the list just because. It in itself does not mean there will be one, or even that we should expect one with a good probability, but combine it with the rest and you have a good basis from which to expect a direct with decent probability.

lunanto

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
You guys gave me an idea... What if they are going to present the VC alongside with different joycons with buttons corresponding with the controllers of each console?

That would be N U T S (And expensive to produce probably).

Pokémon

Oct 27, 2017
So we should keep our expectations as low as possible huh. I am ready for a Nintendo 3DS Direct focused on fitness accessories.

Am I doing it right?

Bizu

Oct 26, 2017
São Paulo - BR

Oh man, pls link this to me!

I'm burning myself expecting a better Idrect that couldnt be Mini.

Galava

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
My bet is that the rumored Direct is going to be this Friday, with the famous demo units being updated the following Monday day 22 (from that reddit post).

Arkert

Oct 28, 2017
It's not a placeholder per se, but rather an empty spot. The direct list had 15 direct entries right before the mini, and now it still has a hole. I myself haven't been closely following the direct page, but people who did have said that an empty spot at the bottom of the list almost always happens when a direct is about to come. Normally the list is filled up with the new direct, but now an empty spot has appeared, at the cost of the Fire Emblem direct. That in itself is conspicuous, as I noted, since FE was in the middle of the list, but now it has been taken out, instead of having the bottom direct drop off the list.

As many have said, it is circumstantial, and relies on the assumption that Nintendo Japan stick to the pattern and didn't just clean up the list just because. It in itself does not mean there will be one, or even that we should expect one with a good probability, but combine it with the rest and you have a good basis from which to expect a direct with decent probability.
Understood. Thank you for the detailed explanation.

Deleted member 2791

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So, "games and accessories", something that doesn't appeal to the same audience as the one from last week and something rather short ?

Well, to me it's either a mobile game or a direct about those casual games that Kimishima has been talking about recently, but they must be seriously different from our kind of game to be presented in a different direct.

Deleted member 33

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
I just want to offer some food for thought. What I'm about to say might not make much sense today. But hopefully this post will make more sense as the year progresses. I apologize for sounding cryptic or vague. I'm trying to point everyone's hopes and expectations for 2018 in the right direction without spoiling announcements.

First, I think we've been a bit spoiled by Nintendo Directs. Because the truth is, not every Nintendo game announcement requires a big general Direct or even a Mini-sized Direct. Sometimes uploading and dumping a short video or trailer on YouTube is more than enough to create a ton of buzz for a product. (Example: See the short Switch reveal video)

Attracting New Players

1.Kimishima has stated that he wants to attract "new players". This includes small children and consumers who have barely touched game consoles.
2. In October 2016, Kimishima told Bloomberg that Nintendo was planning for new accessories and add-on hardware. It's very likely that these new accessories will include new software.
3. Last month, Kimishima said Nintendo hopes to increase momentum by releasing games that offer "new ways to play". That's part of their plan to sell 20 million units in fiscal year 2018.
4. Nintendo is not abandoning core gamers in an attempt to attract new players. They believe they can attract "new players" while still keeping "core gamers" interested and happy.

Third Party Support

4. Nintendo is under no pressure to reveal all of their third party titles in January. Keep in mind that Doom, Wolfenstein II, LA Noire, and WWE 2K18 weren't revealed for Switch until the very last 3 months of 2017. And Mario + Rabbids (Ubisoft) and Rocket League were not revealed until E3.
5. As I said before, this is a good year for third party stuff. This is a year that already has Wolfenstein II, Dark Souls, Ys VIII, Valkyria Chronicles 4, The World Ends With You, Payday 2, Dragon Quest Builders, SNK Heroines, Octopath Traveler, Mega Man 11 and Travis Strikes Back.
6. But there are still more third party titles that will be announced later this year from Square Enix, Ubisoft, and Bandai Namco. Some of these unannounced titles may have been rumored on the internet before -- and some unannounced titles have never been rumored at all. Trust me, there's some good stuff coming from third parties. You will be pleasantly surprised in the third party department.
7. Lastly, Kimishima himself said "different sorts of genres will be covered by third-parties, which will help expand the system's user base." So if you don't want to take my word for it, then take Kimishima's.

Final Thoughts

If there is any announcement this week, don't automatically assume that it's a Direct or a Mini-Direct. There is such a thing as a short trailer uploaded on YouTube, ya know.

If there is any announcement this week, don't automatically assume that it will appeal to core Nintendo fans and older gamers.

Grandpa_Pixel

Nov 10, 2017
United Kingdom
*reset the clock* I'm ready.

In all seriousness, there is good reason to believe there will be another Direct this month given Nintendo's history with Mini Directs. When I stated that statistics pointed to a Direct for January I had not expected a mini Direct. Though I guess that was technically right. I'm hoping there is another Direct just to make January super good.

Though for those wondering about February, yes it is a month that is statistically a good month for Directs. Don't expect one for March though...While March does get Directs it is not typically as strong a chance as the months before and after it. In the first six month of the year, it is the weakest month. June being the obvious strongest month.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I just want to offer some food for thought. What I'm about to say might not make much sense today. But hopefully everything will make more sense as the year progresses. I apologize for sounding cryptic or vague. I'm trying to point everyone's hopes and expectations for 2018 in the right direction without spoiling announcements.

First, I think we've been a bit spoiled by Nintendo Directs. Because the truth is, not every Nintendo game announcement requires a big general Direct or even a Mini-sized Direct. Sometimes uploading and dumping a short video or trailer on YouTube is more than enough to create a ton of buzz for a product. (Example: See the short Switch reveal video)

Attracting New Players

1.Kimishima has stated that he wants to attract "new players". This includes small children and consumers who have barely touched game consoles.
2. In October 2016, Kimishima told Bloomberg that Nintendo was planning for new accessories and add-on hardware. It's very likely that these new accessories will include new software.
3. Last month, Kimishima said Nintendo hopes to increase momentum by releasing games that offer "new ways to play". That's part of their plan to sell 20 million units in fiscal year 2018.
4. Nintendo is not abandoning core gamers in an attempt to attract new players. They believe they can attract "new players" while still keeping "core gamers" interested and happy.

Third Party Support

4. Nintendo is under no pressure to reveal all of their third party titles in January. Keep in mind that Doom, Wolfenstein II, LA Noire, and WWE 2K18 weren't revealed for Switch until the very last 3 months of 2017. And Mario + Rabbids (Ubisoft) and Rocket League were not revealed until E3.
5. As I said before, this is a good year for third party stuff. This is a year that already has Wolfenstein II, Dark Souls, Ys VIII, Valkyria Chronicles 4, The World Ends With You, Dragon Quest Builders, SNK Heroines, Octopath Traveler, and Travis Strikes Back.
6. But there are still more third party titles that will be announced later this year from Square Enix, Ubisoft, and Bandai Namco. Some of these unannounced titles may have been rumored on the internet before -- and some unannounced titles have never been rumored at all. Trust me, there's some good stuff coming from third parties. You will be pleasantly surprised in the third party department.
7. Lastly, Kimishima himself said "different sorts of genres will be covered by third-parties, which will help expand the system's user base." So if you don't want to take my word for it, then take Kimishima's.

Final Thoughts

If there is any announcement this week, don't automatically assume that it's a Direct or a Mini-Direct. There is such a thing as a short trailer uploaded on YouTube, ya know.

If there is any announcement this week, don't automatically assume that it will appeal to core Nintendo fans and older gamers.

Very interesting to read. Much appreciated as always.

Fishsnot

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Japan
Final Thoughts

tenor.gif

Joking aside, thanks for your posts on the matter.
Appreciated.

olobolger

Oct 31, 2017
Andalusia
I just want to offer some food for thought. What I'm about to say might not make much sense today. But hopefully this post will make more sense as the year progresses. I apologize for sounding cryptic or vague. I'm trying to point everyone's hopes and expectations for 2018 in the right direction without spoiling announcements.

Attracting New Players

Third Party Support

5. As I said before, this is a good year for third party stuff. This is a year that already has Wolfenstein II, Dark Souls, Ys VIII, Valkyria Chronicles 4, The World Ends With You, Dragon Quest Builders, SNK Heroines, Octopath Traveler, Mega Man 11 and Travis Strikes Back.

Final Thoughts

Thank you very much Emily.

iswasdoes

Nov 13, 2017
Londinium

Attracting New Players

Third Party Support

5. As I said before, this is a good year for third party stuff. This is a year that already has Wolfenstein II, Dark Souls, Ys VIII, Valkyria Chronicles 4, The World Ends With You, Dragon Quest Builders, SNK Heroines, Octopath Traveler, Mega Man 11 and Travis Strikes Back.

Final Thoughts

So there will be a announcement for a game + accessory that is aimed and non core gamers, potentially this week. That would make sense to decouple it from the mini direct at least, as they wouldnt want that news to affect the message of core games like dark souls.

I hope some of the third party stuff is switch exclusive. I love the ports on switch and don't really think you can have too many, but the console has earned itself the time from developers to make a game that fully takes advantage of the hardware

lunanto

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
Thanks for your sharing your thoughts, Emily. I´m still very intrigued about Kimishima´s words. I understand we can expect more "casual" games from them and that third parties will mostly supply "hardcore" games for the dedicated crowd. I should temper my expectations about this week, it seems.

sinonobu

Oct 25, 2017
If it's just announcement but not Direct, could it be related to Gundam Even that's happening tomorrow?

They are supposedly announcing a port and a new game, I can see either if not both of them making to Switch.

Oct 30, 2017

Attracting New Players

Third Party Support

Final Thoughts

That's a good breakdown.

I think Nintendo will leverage on 3rd parties this year for hardcore games.

I'm expecting the new ways to play thing be new accessories. For example a fishing reel JoyCon for a fishing game. Maybe the vitality sensor makes a comeback for a fitness game. More games that just make use of motion controls and HD rumble. I also expect some game that makes use of the sensor which is underutilized.

As for Nintendo's core games I expect a 2D Mario, Animal Crossing and Fire Emblem. Though Animal Crossing and 2D Mario are appealing to casuals. Maybe a Smash Bros game as well whenever Nintendo decide to launch their paid online service.

meppi64

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Final Thoughts

Just give me a good EDF game and I'm set for a long long time. ;)
Or Zangeki no Reginleiv!

Status
Not open for further replies.