• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 8791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Well since Nintendo pretty much dropped support for the Wii U in the last couple of years prior to the Switch it makes that first year of near constant new releases seem like an anomaly rather than the norm. I guess they could have several big new releases for the first half of the year still under wraps, but the fact that they choose to start this year with announcing ports doesn't leave a lot of confidence in that.
If the real direct is true that mini direct will come into a new light, hehe.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
If the real direct is true that mini direct will come into a new light, hehe.

I mean, even if it's not statements like those that you quoted are gonna look kinda silly a year from now. People have very short memories, remember when last year was gonna be super light? Now it's an incredibly massive year for software.

jariw

Oct 27, 2017
The Direct already has close to 3M views on Youtube, with 94K liking it and 4K not liking it.

Seems like Nintendo isn't doing too bad right now. ;)

The Wii U Directs never got that many views. Not even close to it.

Regardless of "mini" or not, the high tempo Directs are a really brilliant move!

Zippo

Banned
Dec 8, 2017
The optimist in me is hoping for some cool announcements, or at least some hints a Direct this week. Who knows.

Deleted member 16576

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I mean, even if it's not statements like those that you quoted are gonna look kinda silly a year from now. People have very short memories, remember when last year was gonna be super light? Now it's an incredibly massive year for software.

Absolutely. People are crazy to think Nintendo doesn't have heavy hitters lined up for this year. It's smarter from a marketing perspective to announce smaller games early on so they get the attention they deserve before they are drowned out by bigger titles. I'm just personally waiting for some Octopath news, I adored the demo.

Jan 13, 2018
Might be some evidence pointing to a Direct coming soon:

• "Speaking with Mainichi, Kimishima said: "In order to be playable in the long term, the second year is crucial. Our task is to add more users, including people who barely touch game consoles. 'He also said Nintendo has to expand the game library, take in new players, and raise the Switch as 'a game console with long lifespan.'"
  • "When asked if this momentum can continue, Kimishima said Nintendo's games are focused on the family demographic. In the future, different sorts of genres will be covered by third-parties, which will help expand the system's user base. Other companies may also be able to release game consoles that are more interesting, so if Nintendo doesn't think of new ways to play, the momentum could come to a halt right away."
A huge direct before E3 is as good as sure to come. We can deduct that what Nintendo has shown in the direct mini may just be a sliver of things to come. If what Pres. Kimishima says is true, then what they have shown so far isn't enough even this early on the year. Investors meeting occurs around the very start of February and they could use a direct to keep investors and gamers happy alike.

Link:
http://nintendoeverything.com/kimishima-on-switchs-momentum-compared-to-wii-and-more/

Last edited:

jorgejjvr

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
One thing is for sure. E3 is NOT the place to announce new games to release by the end of this year. E3 is to talk and show more about the games we already know. In other words, I suspect there will be a direct to highlight the heavy hitters throughout the year before E3.

There will be new announcements at E3, but for the next year. Maybe 1 surprise game can be announced and release this year, like Samus returns.

Deleted member 2791

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Of course a direct is coming before E3. That statement doesn't indicate at all that one is coming particularly soon though.

One thing is for sure. E3 is NOT the place to announce new games to release by the end of this year

Yet Nintendo is doing that since years.

jorgejjvr

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Of course a direct is coming before E3. That statement doesn't indicate at all that one is coming particularly soon though.

Yet Nintendo is doing that since years.
Huh? Last year we learned more about games we already knew. New announcements like Yoshi, Kirby, Metroid, and Pokémon were for this year and beyond.

Only Samus returns was a new announcement that released that year

Zippo

Banned
Dec 8, 2017
Going by his Twitter, he owns a Nintendo forum called Ninfora.

The kanji on his Twitter says "A new beginning" with the date January 18th.

Is he implying another Direct is coming on Thursday?

Last edited:

Deleted member 2791

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Huh? Last year we learned more about games we already knew. New announcements like Yoshi, Kirby, Metroid, and Pokémon were for this year and beyond.

Last E3 was an exception, since the entire Switch first-party line-up was already revealed in the january event. 3DS was also already dead by that point.
E3 2015 : Nintendo mostly announced its fall/holiday line-up, with Starfox Zero (before the delay), Mario Tennis Ultra Smash, Zelda Triforce Heroes and Mario & Luigi Paper Jam.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Going by his Twitter, he owns a Nintendo forum called Ninfora.

The kanji on his Twitter says "A new Beginning" with the date Jaunary 18.

Is he implying another Direct is on Thursday?
Time to get the hype train going again! It makes sense they let them get their own direct (ports and small games). Now the big Direct for the big games and new IPs coming this year. Maybe online too.

Thequietone

Oct 26, 2017

Mario + Rabbids was announced at E3 and released ~two months later. Just because it was rumored/leaked beforehand doesn't mean it's excluded. Pokken, too. Heck LA Noire and Doom were announced ~2 months before release. We can't just assume this is their line up for H1 or indicative of the quality of the year.
Another Direct is happening this week? If that's the case why wouldn't the other insiders here know also and tell us?
Maybe they want to avoid another 600+ page thread filed with countdowns and memes. I mean some users were getting hostile at the leakers because it seemed like the 11th was wrong.

jorgejjvr

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Last E3 was an exception, since the entire Switch first-party line-up was already revealed in the january event. 3DS was also already dead by that point.
E3 2015 : Nintendo mostly announced its fall/holiday line-up, with Starfox Zero (before the delay), Mario Tennis Ultra Smash, Zelda Triforce Heroes and Mario & Luigi Paper Jam.
I have a feeling last year will be a trend for the new Nintendo.

Anyhow, I'm excited for the next direct and their E3.

Their mini was already great

Oct 25, 2017
Lets think this rationally, the mini direct had reveals of games that Nintendo is publishing like DK tropical freeze, mario tennis , etc. so it would be weird for them to have another direct on top of that.

On the other hand 3DS games are going to release this year and have to be promoted.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lets think this rationally, the mini direct had reveals of games that Nintendo is publishing like DK tropical freeze, mario tennis , etc. so it would be weird for them to have another direct on top of that.

On the other hand 3DS games are going to release this year and have to be promoted.
It wouldn't be weird. It's a Mini Direct. It's meant for small announcements. A General Direct means a bigger focus for Nintendo.

Deleted member 2791

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Note that the mini Direct was largely leaked to a LOT of people, to the point that some people had the entire content of the Direct hours before it aired. It was a unique situation that may not repeat itself in the future, hence why a direct announcement could pop out of nowhere without insiders necessarily knowing about.

Especially if it's a FE direct.

Charamiwa

Oct 25, 2017
We're at that point in time where we're desperately looking for signs out there to convince ourselves this is happening. That's how those bullshit twitter insiders thrive, they know we want something and we're ready to take anything. So I'd be cautious before believing a tweet.

Sadist

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Holland
LlAb6.gif

Not really

Charamiwa

Oct 25, 2017
What do the tweets say?

For some reason I can't see them on my phone :( will not load
That some Fire Emblem news is coming, and there will be a direct announced this week. And that person tweeted before the mini direct that there wasn't going to be any news on the game there, so they have that going for them.

Still, the idea that Nintendo somehow has a big direct coming up after the one we just got sounds like whishful thinking from fans. When it's too good to be true, it usually is.

Deleted member 8791

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'll avoid to trust any date leaks this time around really. I'll just keep my eyes open between Monday - Wednesday during the usual times for an announcement.

Deleted member 2791

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Don't get this thread locked for no reason, complaining about people hyping themselves or hyping yourself over just two tweets is not useful in the slightest. Speculating over the possibiltiy of a direct soon can be done without having to resort to hype trains or exasperation.

Zippo

Banned
Dec 8, 2017
Can anyone link me to the Reddit post about the Gamestop employee? He talked about an update on the 22nd.

jorgejjvr

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
That some Fire Emblem news is coming, and there will be a direct announced this week. And that person tweeted before the mini direct that there wasn't going to be any news on the game there, so they have that going for them.

Still, the idea that Nintendo somehow has a big direct coming up after the one we just got sounds like whishful thinking from fans. When it's too good to be true, it usually is.
Wishful thinking? It has happened pretty much every other time they had a small direct

The fact that it was called mini already hints at a not mini to come

Smaller directs have almost always been followed soon after by a bigger/normal one

Deleted member 11276

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Guys? Can I ask you something?

If there is another Direct coming, can you please drive me to a hospital? Because my heart can't take two hype events in only two weeks!

Thank you!

Deleted member 8791

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Wishful thinking? It has happened pretty much every other time they had a small direct

The fact that it was called mini already hits at a not mini to come
Espescially since there is a lot of stuff we know they can/should talk about but they chose not to. And we have a free space on direct list even with mini added.

Just wanted to add to your post a bit. A lot of new people hear about a new possible direct and presume it's just fanboy dreams with no base in reality.

Status
Not open for further replies.