• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jonneh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
UK
Jonneh said he'd sit in a puddle if a general direct happened this month. None of the other insiders have said anything either way, I believe.
and here's a stock picture of a puddle that isn't being sat in
puddle-on-pavement-picture-id553393989

Deleted member 3010

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Lack of proper big third party support and announcements is a tiny bit worrying, (theoretically) saving big announcements for E3, remaining shtum on the VC, online infrastructure is unclear, not letting onto the fate of past purchases (will they be playable on Switch) and keeping your cards close to your chest so close after people received or bought a Switch over the holiday season is not the smartest idea, and far from the ideal way to go about reaching that figure.

IDK, this was a N-Direct Mini and we have an announcement that the Souls series is coming on the platform as the grand finale, to me it felt like a major announcement as this very dev laughed at the idea of associating themselves with Nintendo during last gen, as many others. There's also Falcom/NIS with Ys VIII, Falcom, who declared that they would ride the PS4 as they thought their audience was there but now we see them testing waters with Ys. EA keeping some kind of support with Fe and saying they're happy with FIFA's sales. Capcom releasing SF 30th Anniversary.

I'm not worried at all, honestly.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo will have other directs, they aren't going to go till E3 without a direct. I think last year they had 2 or 3 before E3. I remember a ARMS one and another more general one for sure.

First half of 18 will be a bit weak IMO but thats because 2017 was so strong. Nintendo could of released tropical freeze instead of Xenoblade or Hyrule Warriors instead of FEW etc... Back half 18 and 19 will be big years though. Metroid/Pokemon/Smash/AC will all be late 18 or 19 titles. I can see a new MK end of 19 or early 20. I think Nintendo will have some big stuff for E3.

I also think there is more 3rd party stuff just not announced. I expect more ports and collections to fill out the next 6 months.

Switch sold like gangbusters the last 2 months. A good majority of owners still have Zelda/Mario/Kart/Pokken/Arms/Splat to play. Add in some 3rd party, a few of the announced games from the mini and there is plenty to hold over those 4 or 5 Million people that got a switch the last few months.
I still think Nintendo is going to use smash bros as a launch title for its online service, they need to have a big multiplayer title to release along side its 20$ a year service

This could even be the real reason the service was delayed

Last edited:

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
If I had to guess I'd say insiders here got wind of the mini Direct because it had lots of third parties involved, thus more people were involved.

Nintendo themselves aren't very leaky. If they have an First party focused direct, I bet it won't leak

Deleted member 6730

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They don't count because they don't fit my explicitly stated criteria
Yeah your explicitly stated criteria is wrong and completely misrepresents what the Switch actually has. If you really want to argue with that logic then Sony only had Horizon and GT Sport (maybe Lost Legacy?) for the entirety of last year when the PS4 had a really strong year.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
If I understand the post properly then no. Myself and a few others on Era were even teasing Tropical Freeze and Mario Tennis Aces before the Direct went live lol
You probably can't answer this but did you know about those because of Nintendo themselves or because of 3rd parties involved with the direct

In other words is it possible for you to miss something lol, could a direct be happening on the 18th that you don't know about or would that be impossible for you not to know

Deleted member 24540

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Yeah your explicitly stated criteria is wrong and completely misrepresents what the Switch actually has. If you really want to argue with that logic then Sony only had Horizon and GT Sport (maybe Lost Legacy?) for the entirety of last year when the PS4 had a really strong year.

My post is more a commentary of how Nintendo seen as a publisher of original and fun games has dropped the ball, not the state of Nintendo Switch as a video game platform.

This despite the fact that they merged their handheld and console lines, so you'd expect a barrage of fun and original games published, and preferably developed by, Nintendo. But no

Zippo

Banned
Dec 8, 2017
https://www.reddit.com/r/NintendoSw...nstore_switch_demo_unit_just_received_a_huge/

Just remembered this as well, IF a Direct did happen this week, a big update at Gamestop a couple of days after would make total sense, depending on what's announced. People also have gone through his posts and have backed him up, he isn't making it up. May not mean anything at all, though. So it's anyone's guess. Not making any predictions, let's just wait and see.

Jonneh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
UK
You probably can't answer this but did you know about those because of Nintendo themselves or because of 3rd parties involved with the direct

In other words is it possible for you to miss something lol, could a direct be happening on the 18th that you don't know about or would that be impossible for you not to know
I can't really say but I'll reference you to this:
Jonneh said he'd sit in a puddle if a general direct happened this month. None of the other insiders have said anything either way, I believe.

Deleted member 6730

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My post is more a commentary of how Nintendo seen as a publisher of original and fun games has dropped the ball, not the state of Nintendo Switch as a video game platform.

This despite the fact that they merged their handheld and console lines, so you'd expect a barrage of fun and original games published, and preferably developed by, Nintendo. But no
Ok even as a commentary this fails because Nintendo still has fun games coming out.

And most of their handheld teams stopped developing like during 2015-2016 at the earliest. Most of them are new to HD development and HD development takes awhile anyway. Expecting to see the fruits of a merged Nintendo like that so soon was always unrealistic.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
https://www.reddit.com/r/NintendoSw...nstore_switch_demo_unit_just_received_a_huge/

Just remembered this as well, IF a Direct did happen this week, a big update at Gamestop a couple of days after would make total sense, depending on what's announced. People also have gone through his posts and have backed him up, he isn't making it up. May not mean anything at all, though. So it's anyone's guess. Not making any predictions, let's just wait and see.

Well this is big news. Not sure why this is ignored.

Oct 27, 2017
Peru

What to trust, what to trust...

Instro

Oct 25, 2017

I don't feel like reading through all of this, but couldn't it be for the games that were just shown/announced in the mini direct?

Ethifury

Dec 4, 2017
What if puddles was linking to Sunshine part of GameCube VC? It does say Adventure in Jonneh's Title.

Novel Mike

Oct 25, 2017

I'm apparently joining late but why do people think were getting a normal direct so soon after a mini? A mini that covered multiple titles from first and third parties for the first half of this year at that, I'm just confused why anyone thinks were getting another direct so soon. I mean I could see like a FE one like they did last year and also do the next Heroes update along with it but not a big direct.

In regards to the reddit post yeah what the guy is saying sounds right but it doesn't mean anything. When I worked at Gamestop they would update the Wii U and Wii Demo units with new content that would activate on a certain day but I can't remember a single time that actually was because of any real announcements largely because the store staff could just set the system ahead to whatever date and it would activate the updated material so it would get leaked like instantly. Maybe the Switch demo units work differently but the way hes saying the rep did it it certainly doesn't sound like its any different from how they did it before.

banksy

Oct 27, 2017
I'm apparently joining late but why do people think were getting a normal direct so soon after a mini? A mini that covered multiple titles from first and third parties for the first half of this year at that, I'm just confused why anyone thinks were getting another direct so soon. I mean I could see like a FE one like they did last year and also do the next Heroes update along with it but not a big direct.
Historically every Direct Mini has been followed with a full direct within the next 20 days.

Zippo

Banned
Dec 8, 2017
Historically every Direct Mini has been followed with a full direct within the next 20 days.

Not only that, but there are many games coming soonish that weren't covered. Many people also think they got the more minor games out of the way so that they weren't lost in the shuffle of bigfer titles. No one here is certain, just hopeful.

Last edited:

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
It's also because there are a lot of things we know are coming soon that Nintendo could have discussed (like Bayonetta, Hollow Knight, online service) but didn't, and because they've told us to expect a lot of new types of games and new IPs specifically in 2018, and none of that was in this Direct.

Nintendogs Switch?

Simpsons Road Rage 2?

Tebunker

Oct 25, 2017

In regards to the reddit post yeah what the guy is saying sounds right but it doesn't mean anything. When I worked at Gamestop they would update the Wii U and Wii Demo units with new content that would activate on a certain day but I can't remember a single time that actually was because of any real announcements largely because the store staff could just set the system ahead to whatever date and it would activate the updated material so it would get leaked like instantly. Maybe the Switch demo units work differently but the way hes saying the rep did it it certainly doesn't sound like its any different from how they did it before.
The store staff can't generally do shit to the demo systems at all anymore. They're locked up, and the system runs a Demo specific program that doesn't let you go to the normal home screen.

Also Nintendo has a slight history of a big direct right after a mini. Nintendolife had a bit on it.

Novel Mike

Oct 25, 2017
The store staff can't generally do shit to the demo systems at all anymore. They're locked up, and the system runs a Demo specific program that doesn't let you go to the normal home screen.

Also Nintendo has a slight history of a big direct right after a mini. Nintendolife had a bit on it.
I always had a key to the demo units and the reps told us how to bypass the demo program in case we ever had to do anything to the unit, at times they would just send us the update disks and let us do it ourselves instead of having a rep come out to do it. Not saying its not different now but it seems very similar to how it was before which is why I'm skeptical.
Not only that, but there are many games coming soonish that weren't covered. Many people also think they got the more minor games out of the way so that they weren't lost in the shuffle of bigfer titles. No one here is certain, just hopeful.
It's also because there are a lot of things we know are coming soon that Nintendo could have discussed (like Bayonetta, Hollow Knight, online service) but didn't, and because they've told us to expect a lot of new types of games and new IPs specifically in 2018, and none of that was in this Direct.

Okay thats fine and all but I hope no ones getting their hopes up for this. This direct wasn't just all low key announcements they had some reveals like Dark Souls and TWEWY which I would've expected in a normal direct, not a mini so I have a hard time believing after the wide range of months they covered and the games they announced that we'd be seeing another big direct so soon, unless its about a specific game or series like I stated with FE before but thats not what people are expecting.

Zippo

Banned
Dec 8, 2017
I'm certainly not getting my hopes up. This Fire Emblem guy just gave me some optimism.

Last edited:

Chrom

Oct 26, 2017
Hey guys. As the author of those peculiar Fire Emblem tweets from a few pages back, I'd like to step up and provide a follow-up to them here that should help temper expectations a little bit.

Yes, I've been hearing for a while that another Nintendo Direct is in fact happening later this week, but the new Fire Emblem apparently won't be featured there either. I know nothing of its exact contents, but I've learned that it won't be the one to reveal Fire Emblem. It sounds like another small Nintendo Direct from my understanding, no idea how they'll announce it. A more feature-length Nintendo Direct is supposedly planned for sometime in February, and, in my opinion, that's probably when we may see Fire Emblem after all. Here's hoping, I'm really excited for it. At this point I'm not thinking there'll be another Fire Emblem Direct though, sadly.

Apologies for the commotion. I do actually hear things from time to time, but I also realize it's important to not give people false hope if I can help it, so that's why I'm here to clarify. I hope you guys can forgive me. Either way, I think we can all agree it'd be best to wait until Nintendo says something before we can get all excited again.

Last edited:

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
Hey guys. As the author of those peculiar Fire Emblem tweets from a few pages back, I'd like to step up and provide a follow-up to them here that should help temper expectations a little bit.

Yes, I've been hearing for a while that another Nintendo Direct is in fact happening later this week, but the new Fire Emblem apparently won't be featured there either. I know nothing of its exact contents, but I've learned that it won't the one to reveal Fire Emblem. It sounds like another small Nintendo Direct from my understanding, no idea how they'll announce it. A more feature-length Nintendo Direct is supposedly planned for sometime in February, and, in my opinion, that's probably when we may see Fire Emblem after all. Here's hoping, I'm really excited for it. At this point I'm not thinking there'll be another Fire Emblem Direct though, sadly.

Apologies for the commotion. I do actually hear things from time to time, but I also realize it's important to not give people false hope if I can help it, so that's why I'm here to clarify. I hope you guys can forgive me. Either way, I think we can all agree it'd be best to wait until Nintendo says something before we can get all excited again.
I had a feeling that was you.

Anyways. Fire Emblem will be ready when it's ready. I'm sure we'll see it or here about it soon. Pretty excited about a console FE game

Gobias-Ind

Nov 22, 2017
I'm certainly not getting my hopes up. This Fire Emblem guy just gave me some optimism.

Yes, I've been hearing for a while that another Nintendo Direct is in fact happening later this week, but the new Fire Emblem apparently won't be featured there either. I know nothing of its exact contents, but I've learned that it won't the one to reveal Fire Emblem. It sounds like another small Nintendo Direct from my understanding, no idea how they'll announce it. A more feature-length Nintendo Direct is supposedly planned for sometime in February, and, in my opinion, that's probably when we may see Fire Emblem after all. Here's hoping, I'm really excited for it. At this point I'm not thinking there'll be another Fire Emblem Direct though, sadly.

Lmao love this post sequence

Oct 27, 2017

Hey thanks for coming forward. I'm with you on hoping we can see Fire Emblem 2018 next month, really excited to see what Intelligent Systems can do with the hardware.

Jan 13, 2018

I do hope they release info for some other big third-party hitters and the online infrastructure there. If it truly does happen in February, then it has to be sometime around when they'll have the investors meeting, which makes sense because they gotta keep them feeling optimistic in keeping the Switch's momentum in 2018.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.