Nintendo Direct Speculation |OT| A Thread About Something (Read OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 6, 2019
So are we 100% for a direct this week? We have had kingzell definitively say it. liam seems to be teasing it with that reset the clock gif. and the person i know from NoA said "this week" too. It feels guaranteed for me, but I have this nagging pessimism right now. Ugh.
If you really know someone from NoA who told you the Direct is this week, you of all people should have more faith than the rest of us.

Oct 25, 2017
I remember back in... 2012, methinks, before ALBW, there was a Direct where Eiji Aonuma spoke of taking the Zelda series in a different direction, and everything has pretty much happened since then — the nonlinear progression, etc — EXCEPT the multiplayer aspect.

Well, unless Tri Force Heroes counts as that, but probably not, since Four Swords Adventures preceded Tri Force Heroes.

Where I'm going with this is, I wonder if the follow-up to BotW will have a multiplayer focus. In fact, they could make a fresh new experience quickly reusing old assets if they turn it into a multiplayer game. I wouldn't mind running around BotW's Hyrule with other people. :-O

Oct 25, 2017
I remember back in... 2012, methinks, before ALBW, there was Direct where Eiji Aonuma spoke of taking the series in a different direction, and everything has pretty much happened since then — the nonlinear progression, etc — EXCEPT the multiplayer aspect.

Well, unless Tri Force Heroes counts as that, but probably not since Four Swords Adventures preceded Tri Force Heroes.

Where I'm going with this, is I wonder if the follow-up to BotW will have a multiplayer focus. In fact, they could make a fresh new experience quickly reusing old assets if they turn it into a multiplayer game. I wouldn't mind running around BotW's Hyrule with other people. :-O
I think the 2D Zelda on Switch will have multiplayer, they don’t wanna take their biggest single player adventure series (3D Zelda) and turn it multiplayer I would think. BotW’s reception was too good. Meanwhile 2D Zelda already has a history of incorporating MP.

Nov 28, 2018
Lmao. Are you for real..
No need to be rude. Even if something is flat out in my face I can still face anxiety about the worst happening. I've been wanting a direct so badly lately that even with somebody from NoA literally telling me there's one this week I'm still stressed out. I guess I should hold my head up higher most of all, but there's always that pessimism in the back of my head. Ugh.

Thank you so much. I really love this song. It helps a bunch!! :)

Oct 25, 2017
France
Where I'm going with this is, I wonder if the follow-up to BotW will have a multiplayer focus. In fact, they could make a fresh new experience quickly reusing old assets if they turn it into a multiplayer game. I wouldn't mind running around BotW's Hyrule with other people. :-O
I will play a butterfly and you will NEVER catch me.

I remember back in... 2012, methinks, before ALBW, there was a Direct where Eiji Aonuma spoke of taking the Zelda series in a different direction, and everything has pretty much happened since then — the nonlinear progression, etc — EXCEPT the multiplayer aspect.

Well, unless Tri Force Heroes counts as that, but probably not, since Four Swords Adventures preceded Tri Force Heroes.

No offense intended whatsoever here, but a focus on multiplayer is just about the only thing that could significantly decrease my hype levels for a BOTW successor.

Oct 25, 2017
I think the 2D Zelda on Switch will have multiplayer, they don’t wanna take their biggest single player adventure series (3D Zelda) and turn it multiplayer I would think. BotW’s reception was too good. Meanwhile 2D Zelda already has a history of incorporating MP.
Actually yeah, the rumored 2D Zelda for Switch would be a good opportunity for multiplayer, since you can play 2D Zelda with a single Joy-Con and the Switch has two Joy-Cons right out of the box, which is perfect for local co-op.

I actually think a 2D Zelda designed around two-player co-op would not only be more practical (easier to find one person than two or three), but it would also be a tighter gameplay experience in single-player as well, since you'd only be managing one AI character.

Jan 18, 2018

After a certain point, I think they might just be better off making a Zelda MMO.

Oct 25, 2017
Actually yeah, the rumored 2D Zelda for Switch would be a good opportunity for multiplayer, since you can play 2D Zelda with a single Joy-Con and the Switch has two Joy-Cons right out of the box, which is perfect for local co-op.

I actually think a 2D Zelda designed around two-player co-op would not only be more practical (easier to find one person than two or three), but it would also be a tighter gameplay experience in single-player as well, since you'd only be managing one AI character.
Yeah I completely agree, an adventure tailored to 2 players would be the best way to balance SP and MP.

They could always have a separate mode that incorporates a higher amount of players too

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I completely agree, an adventure tailored to 2 players would be the best way to balance SP and MP.

They could always have a separate mode that incorporates a higher amount of players too
Yep, I think it could be exciting. It's hard to guess what new features a 2D Zelda on Switch would have, but looking purely at the hardware, taking advantage of the built-in two-player support is one route they could go. That and HD Rumbleeeeeeeee.

Oct 25, 2017
3D Zeldas get delayed when they're reinventing the wheel, but hey, since they did all the heavylifting with BotW already, they could make another one more quickly if they use it as the base. Similar to how MM came out in a timely fashion after OoT.

Oct 25, 2017
Yep, I think it could be exciting. It's hard to guess what new features a 2D Zelda on Switch would have, but looking purely at the hardware, taking advantage of the built-in two-player support is one route they could go. That and HD Rumbleeeeeeeee.
Honestly, I think that because it’s been ages since we’ve actually had a 2D Zelda on home console (so they’ll probably want to make sure the value is there as a $60 game that takes advantage of Switch hardware) and that they’ve stated a desire to make Zelda more multiplayer AND just because it’s Nintendo who loves their couch co-op..... there’s no way the 2D Zelda won’t have multiplayer in some form. Like, I think it’s almost a guarantee. I’ll actually be surprised if it doesn’t

Status
Not open for further replies.