Nintendo Direct Speculation |OT|

What will be gen 8s major battle system change?

Gen 2 had items
3 abilties
The split
5 dream world abilities
Gen 6 mega
7 z moves

I propose gen 8 adds weapons Pokemon can hold

Weapons will change the stats of Pokemon, abilties, typing, and have special attacks

This is a joke btw

First made this joke in the cnintendo discord
My serious answer tho is that ideally they'll stop introducing superfluous one-off mechanics that don't really add that much to the battle system only for them to largely ditch them (or stop introducing new ones/refining them). I say this as someone actually fond of Megas. I'm largely indifferent to Z Moves I guess. Spend that effort on another part of the game honestly.

Last one of these that actually did anything for me was the addition of HAs, which is comparatively simpler than what they felt compelled to add in the 3DS games.

Gen 8 will allow for Pokémon to hold other Pokémon.
This would compel me to use a team comprised entirely of Pokemon that can use Fling

Dec 12, 2017
I have to imagine preproduction on a sequel was started alot earlier than we think, considering it was originally targeting a 2015 date, then delayed further for the switch day and date.
It definitely wasn't done in 2015 tho. They had the same prime 4 type video out talking about development delays/struggles. Even in 2016, I think it likely would've been a summer-winter launch if the switch didn't exist.

I dunno about preproduction, I remember reading Anomua had said during the period between the DLC that they hadn't started on the new Zelda yet. Maybe they had some ideas that were scrapped they could spin to a sequel/new game that's certainly possible.

Oct 27, 2017
BotW development "only" took 4 years anyway
And it was "only" six years (well, five years and four-sh months) between Skyward Sword and BotW. HD growing pains was probably a lot of it, but even then there was a five year gap between Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword, a four year gap between The Wind Waker and Twilight Princess. Everyone's favorite example of MM following OoT counts for something, but at this point that game was being developed over twenty years ago. It's possible Nintendo announces a 3D Zelda next year, but releasing it in 2020 is something that should be met with skepticism. Even if they slap a release window on it at announcement.

Nov 15, 2018
And it was "only" six years (well, five years and four-sh months) between Skyward Sword and BotW. HD growing pains was probably a lot of it, but even then there was a five year gap between Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword, a four year gap between The Wind Waker and Twilight Princess. Everyone's favorite example of MM following OoT counts for something, but at this point that game was being developed over twenty years ago. It's possible Nintendo announces a 3D Zelda next year, but releasing it in 2020 is something that should be met with skepticism. Even if they slap a release window on it at announcement.
Development on BotW began early 2013, according to Fujibayashi himself

I haven’t been following this too closely so I’m guessing this isn’t new? But maybe I’m wrong, so here’s a Google translation!

A new Fire Emblem title with a new story and characters comes to Nintendo Switch!

The game takes place in Fódlan, where the Church of Seiros holds great power over the land and its people. In the role of the main character, the player must fight on the battlefield, move his character freely and interact with other characters to forge relationships and gather information.

This tactical RPG by turns adds new layers of strategy to the combat, because the troops will give support to individual units on the battlefield. Do you have what it takes to survive and conquer in this new Fire Emblem game?

Features:

A traditional turn-based tactical RPG that adds new strategy elements to combat. Now, when a player manages a unit, large-scale troops will move with him to offer support during combat.
In some areas, the main character can move freely, interact with other characters and gather information.
The game is set in a new world, Fódlan, where the Church of Seiros holds great power over the land and its people.
Your protagonist will meet three characters -Edelgard, Dimitri and Claude- who play important roles in the story.

Oct 25, 2017
New Zealand
3 years on a game is pretty average for a AAA sequel. If all they are doing is using BOTW as a base, making a new area and story, maybe a couple of new mechanics and refinements, 3 years is about what I would expect.

Oct 27, 2017
3 years on a game is pretty average for a AAA sequel. If all they are doing is using BOTW as a base, making a new area and story, maybe a couple of new mechanics and refinements, 3 years is about what I would expect.
That's a lot of ifs and maybes. Considering the last time the team did this was 20 years ago people are probably getting a little ahead of themselves thinking this is what they're doing.

Nov 28, 2018
So are we 100% for a direct this week? We have had kingzell definitively say it. liam seems to be teasing it with that reset the clock gif. and the person i know from NoA said "this week" too. It feels guaranteed for me, but I have this nagging pessimism right now. Ugh.

Oct 25, 2017
New York
We should expect to see a Shin Megami Tensei gameplay video on this direct?
Very very small chance, if that, the game is a 2020 title at best, likely 2021. Both IV and IVA took 3-3.5 years to develop and this started development around Jan 2017 best we can tell and last we heard went into full development around last Feb. Add to it this is an HD console game and not a handheld title so take that as you will. Maybe it will come out sooner, but that would be super surprising so best to expect the worst.

Feb 10, 2019
So are we 100% for a direct this week? We have had kingzell definitively say it. liam seems to be teasing it with that reset the clock gif. and the person i know from NoA said "this week" too. It feels guaranteed for me, but I have this nagging pessimism right now. Ugh.
Let's not lose our faith. It's gonna happen.

Apr 8, 2018
lmao you know someone from NoA who said "it's this week" and you're still doubtful?

Nov 3, 2017
TBH I still don't want to start fully speculating with games until the actual damn Directs gets confirmed first lol. Hope it gets confirmed tomorrow morning!

Oct 27, 2017
Why are you doubting someone you know from NoA? Lol you should be the most optimistic

Also John Harker agreed with February 13th is a Direct and he’s never been wrong on his inside info.

Oct 25, 2017
Give the gen 2 starters megas

And give us mega weavile
FREAKING THIS!!!! I want my Mega Typhlosion! But nooooo only Gen 1 and 3 got that luck......
Unless we start seeing some evidence to the contrary at the start of the next gen, Megas are pretty much freakin' done. Z-Moves pretty much supplanted the power side of Megas and have a lot more versatility and regional forms took over the "reinvigorating past Pokemon" part without locking Mons out of evolutions. Maybe Gen 8 will use a new version of this but there's not much looking for Megas either way.

Reggie and risen Iwata-san paged me the exact date and time just now but I’m skeptical ugh :(

Seriously though, you have even more reason to believe! Live a little. :P

Nov 17, 2017
Utah
Unless we start seeing some evidence to the contrary at the start of the next gen, Megas are pretty much freakin' done. Z-Moves pretty much supplanted the power side of Megas and have a lot more versatility and regional forms took over the "reinvigorating past Pokemon" part without locking Mons out of evolutions. Maybe Gen 8 will use a new version of this but there's not much looking for Megas either way.
I can still hope haha!

Apr 8, 2018
Why are you doubting someone you know from NoA? Lol you should be the most optimistic

Also John Harker agreed with February 13th is a Direct and he’s never been wrong on his inside info.
I heard John Harker said something, but I didn't see it. Link me, DC. You animal.