• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jbone115

Oct 25, 2017
Where's Pikmin? Where's Luigi? Where's Animal Crossing? Where's Metroid Prime Trilogy?

I think this has been the hardest thing for me, especially the latter. I knew going into the Direct that not everything I wanted to hear about would be there. Zelda was exciting, certainly, but I was legitimately bummed (almost as much as at TGAs) for lack of seeing that darned Trilogy.

It was never implied that we'd see all of them at this last Direct, but still, with out barren April and May are for First-Party releases, I thought it was sure thing that something straight from Nintendo would fill those two months.
It's pretty clear to me that Fire Emblem was supposed to be that game.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like these direct threads need to have a poll added retroactively to grade the direct as a matter of record.

Timppis

Banned
Apr 27, 2018
If BOTW and Odyssey weren't simply such masterpieces, this year might be the best year for Nintendo ever in my personal opinion.

There is SO MUCH good stuff coming.

edit: Give me Pikmin trilogy or Pikmin 4 and this is the greatest year in video gaming altogether.

jeelybeans

Oct 25, 2017
I'd rather they spend a lot of time and get Animal Crossing right. If not, I'll probably grab Stardew over AC.

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Who's ready for Pokémon Day!?
So long as best Pokemon gets his due, I am

250px-051Dugtrio.png

Dec 2, 2017
Y'all, we ain't getting a pokemon direct. What we will get is another announcement with them showing the studio around and then we will get the wireframe of one of the pokemon and then say bye bye for that game until July/August when afterwards we will be getting a video a week blowing out everything about the game until release.

What if the Pokemon direct is this, plus say, an earlier Pokemon game getting a release on switch e-shop as a standalone title and not part of any VC or subscription package.

Atheerios

Oct 27, 2017
For the near term future the main topic of discussion for this thread will be the Pokémon Direct so isn't this thread redundant as we already have the Pokémon speculation thread?

Jul 20, 2018
Last year we got Pokemon Quest at the Let's Go announcement. I know it wasn't everyone's cup of tea, but I enjoyed it. Any chance we get another surprise spin off this year?

OP
OP
Kevin360

Kevin360

OG Direct OP
Oct 25, 2017
I think the central topic should be generally non-Pokémon related Directs, but I feel like it's inevitable that some Pokémon stuff will crossover here, just because that defines some timing of other announcements a bit.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think the central topic should be generally non-Pokémon related Directs, but I feel like it's inevitable that some Pokémon stuff will crossover here, just because that defines some timing of other announcements a bit.
excluding dedicated directs feels unnecessarily restricting. they're all labeled the same way for a reason, so they should be included here.

daybreak

Feb 28, 2018
Reminder on the reveal dates for past Pokemon games, main gen games are bolded:
  • Pokemon Black and White - Revealed January 29, 2010
  • Pokemon Black 2 and White 2 - Revealed February 26, 2012
  • Pokemon X and Y - Revealed January 8, 2013
  • Pokemon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire - Revealed May 7, 2014
  • Pokemon Sun and Moon - Revealed February 26, 2016
  • Pokemon Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon - Revealed June 6, 2017
  • Pokemon Let's Go Pikachu and Let's Go Eevee - Revealed May 30, 2018

OP
OP
Kevin360

Kevin360

OG Direct OP
Oct 25, 2017
excluding dedicated directs feels unnecessarily restricting. they're all labeled the same way for a reason, so they should be included here.
I only meant to say exactly that. There is technically a Pokemon speculation thread already, but I think our paths will cross no matter what.

Definitely think we should freely talk about other dedicated directs in here too!

Zippo

Banned
Dec 8, 2017
Pokemon Direct possibly next week, Smash Mini Direct in April, E3 Direct in June is how I see the first half of the year going. I could see a mobile Direct for Mario Kart and Dr. Mario also.

Atheerios

Oct 27, 2017
General Direct? Yes probably. But we're definitely getting a Pokemon Direct before then. And I wouldn't be surprised if whatever the Smash DLC update is shown in (mini Direct? Smash Direct) happens before April.
Oh yeah I'm referring to a general Direct.

I don't think there will be another Direct for Smash, they will just say that "a new trailer for Smash Bros will be released on Nintendo's YouTube channel at X time".

Pooroomoo

Oct 28, 2017
king zell I know you said that BOTW fans have something to look forward to in 2020... any love for Mario Odyssey fans?
I think you missed this from the OP: "ALSO: DO NOT MESSAGE/HARASS AND TAG 'INSIDERS' (this should go without saying, but they've alluded these things crossing the line)"

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
I could see a general Direct in early April, with new Smash info as the hook. This would include Joker and details on the 3.0 update, and it would probably close with a tease for Challenger Pack 2. But it would also include more info on Super Mario Maker 2, a major game that will already be in reviewers' hands by E3. It would likely continue to build hype for Fire Emblem and Astral Chain as well, and perhaps offer another look at Luigi's Mansion 3, while also announcing the Pikmin 3 port.

Charamiwa

Oct 25, 2017
I don't see a general Direct happening considering we've already seen trailers for games like Astral Chain, Fire Emblem, Link's Awakening, DQXIS, Builders 2... Their follow up trailers should be at E3. So either they have a a new general Direct in April and don't mention these games, which would be strange since they're so important, or they do mention them, which seems redundant and unlike the usual marketing cycle. I don't think either are happening.

I do agree that we should see Mario Maker before E3 though. Remember that Arms Direct that also included a Splatoon 2 trailer? I could see something like that.

Vareon

Oct 25, 2017
I forgot Sun/Moon reveal was pre Pokemon GO. Other than the usual excited reaction there's not much it, even on E3 it's sandwiched between BoTW gameplay sessions. I hope this isn't like the Sun/Moon's logo only reveal and gameplay in May.

Timppis

Banned
Apr 27, 2018
So from now on when anyone wants to see AC on Direct it can mean

Animal Crossing
Assasins Creed
OR
Astral Chain

I think Nintendo is seriously trolling with names at this point :D

Simba1

Dec 5, 2017
I could see Pokemon Direct next week, next week will be exactly 2 weeks after general Direct so it make sense.

Also I could see April general Direct, April Direct would be focused on late Spring and summer releases (so from May to around August).

PillFencer

Banned
Nov 15, 2018
January: Indie Highlights
February: Nintendo Direct / Pokémon Direct (Gen 8 + Detective Pikachu HD)
March: Nindies Showcase
April: Nintendo Direct Mini (Pikmin 3 + Metroid Prime Trilogy HD + Smash 3.0 + Emily's third eShop game + more 3rd party ports)
May: Mario Maker Direct
June: Nintendo Direct @e3 2019 (Emily's 4th mystery 2019 game + Retro Studios + Yo-kai Watch 4 + Challenger Pack 2)
July: Fire Emblem Direct (Expansion Pass)/ evo 2019 (Challenger Pack 3)
August: Astral Chain Direct (demo) / Nindies Showcase
September: Nintendo Direct (Challenger Pack 4 + Bayonetta 3 + Super Mario 3D World + new Kirby)
October: Pokémon Direct
November: Animal Crossing Direct
December: The Game Awards 2019 (Metroid 5 + Challenger Pack 5)

Mirev

Jun 8, 2018
April: Nintendo Direct Mini (Pikmin 3 + Metroid Prime Trilogy HD + Smash 3.0 + Emily's third eShop game + more 3rd party ports)
June: Nintendo Direct @e3 2019 (Emily's 4th mystery 2019 game + Retro Studios + Yo-kai Watch 4 + Challenger Pack 2)
September: Nintendo Direct (Challenger Pack 4 + Bayonetta 3 + Super Mario 3D World + new Kirby)
Never gonna happen

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You've got it all figured out.

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
I like this... This is a calendar that would work, Directs have to happen often, be snappy, drop a bunch of games but leave people wanting a bit more, and that bit more being announced in the next Direct a few months after.

OP
OP
Kevin360

Kevin360

OG Direct OP
Oct 25, 2017
It is the morning of February 19th, in the year of our LORD 2019.

Metroid Prime Trilogy for Switch still alludes us– alludes me. My pursuits for Metroid satisfaction have come up void and null, and my efforts to remain patiently eager draw weaker by the day.

The long, dark night.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017

After the break between September 2018 and last week this would be a pretty amazing turnaround.

Bowser

Nov 7, 2017
You all got it wrong

I'm Bowser, VP of marketing at Nintendo and this is our schedule for this year

February: Pokemon Direct
March: 3rd party announcements
Late April: General Direct with a focus on Mario Maker and Smash Update
May: E3 announcement, to focus on Animal Crossing
E3: Animal Crossing and Pokemon are the big games, 2020 announcements such as new Monolith IP, more info on Zelda and Luigi's Mansion
August: Switch Lite announcement
September: General Direct focusing on fall games
December: BOTW2 announcement at TGA

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
I expect E3 to be "only new reveals" direct. My wild guesses:

- Super Mario 3D World port for January, 3D World 2 trailer for 2020.
- Retros game, possibly F-Zero.
- Next game from Starlink devs: This time it's a full blown StarFox game.
- Mario + Rabbids 2, with Rayman and friends
- GTA5 and Witcher 3
- As finale, Nintendo's salvages: Scalebound by Platinum and Star Wars 1313 by Namco Singapore, Metroid Prime's previous devs

If it's not "new reveals only" I expect it to be full Animal Crossing show.

Lord Vatek

Avenger
Jan 18, 2018
The only thing I would change is that I think the second Smash DLC will be revealed in April. June is when I expect the second one to release.

Jan 9, 2018
Unrelated to the current discussion, but I just wanted to say it kinda sucks that the DMC, Spyro, and Danganronpa Trilogies that we were so sure of being announced in the Direct are just not coming (yet, presumably, in the case of Spyro but who knows about the other two?).

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
This is actually a pretty reasonable prediction, though I feel like there's a chance that we'll get a regular Direct in April considering that there's quite a bit to cover. Likewise, while I recognize the possibility of Challenger Pack 3 being straight-up revealed at EVO, I could also see Nintendo doing what they did last year & announcing a Smash Presentation before Smash Ultimate Grand Finals, which will be when we see the reveal of Challenger Pack 3.

Status
Not open for further replies.