• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
-"Oh geez oh man, oh geez oh man! Namco's work wasn't up to par at all, we have to give the project to someone else! What about Retro? "
-"We've recently cancelled a game of their's, because it was not up to par, sir."
-"Really?"
-"And before that they were working on another project that suffered the same fate, sir!"
-"THEY ARE PERFECT!"

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
-"Oh geez oh man, oh geez oh man! Namco's work wasn't up to par at all, we have to give the project to someone else! What about Retro? "
-"We've recently cancelled a game of their's, because it was not up to par, sir."
-"Really?"
-"And before that they were working on another project that suffered the same fate, sir!"
-"THEY ARE PERFECT!"
😂

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
Prototypes get canceled all the time though, if the other project was canceled early on they would only have not delivered once.

Personally hoping SFGP isn't canned, sounded cool.
Then that would they had spent almost five years on a game in active development, failing to produce a good enough product and wasting resources.

I'm not sure that's much better in terms of inspiring confidence.

Ravager777

Jan 1, 2018
What if Retro Studios wanted to work on Metroid all this time and they were forced, against their will, to work on other projects. Unmotivated, they were unable to do quality work. After two scrapped projects, Nintendo was like: "Fine, I guess you can work om Prime 4 ..." and Retro Studios was like "Yay!".

Or Retro Studios is just having issues and Nintendo just gave them Metroid Prime 4 hoping that fans would be overjoyed so as not to realize how bad the situation with Metroid Prime and/or Retro Studios really is.

DinoPulse

May 25, 2018
I would argue that we've seen a lot of Daemon X Machina. They showed it at E3, Gamescom and the September Nintendo Direct, and they demoed it live twice at the former two events (where they did go fairly in-depth).
I updated the OG Comment for you. But yeah. my questions in there still stand, and I hope they're answered.

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
What if Retro Studios wanted to work on Metroid all this time and they were forced, against their will, to work on other projects. Unmotivated, they were unable to do quality work. After two scrapped projects, Nintendo was like: "Fine, I guess you can work om Prime 4 ..." and Retro Studios was like "Yay!".

Or Retro Studios is just having issues and Nintendo just gave them Metroid Prime 4 hoping that fans would be overjoyed so as not to realize how bad the situation with Metroid Prime and/or Retro Studios really is.
Why would Nintendo do that?

requiem

Dec 3, 2017
I suspect Tim is getting his messages crossed. The scrapped game that wasn't up to par is likely to be that ambitious Wii U title that Kotaku reported on last year.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I suspect Tim is getting his messages crossed. The scrapped game that wasn't up to par is likely to be that ambitious Wii U title that Kotaku reported on last year.
Most likely this is what Tim is thinking about. The first Retro project from 2014 Kotaku said is possibly scrapped. Maybe that's what whoever told him was referring too.

@dedmunk

Banned
Oct 11, 2018
I wouldn't take anything from KF as gospel. I think at least when it comes to Nintendo related stuff they are as in the dark as we are. I wouldn't consider them insiders, or journalists etc. They are basically just gaming commentary at this point.

I enjoy their content and I'm not having a go or anything.

karmitt

Oct 27, 2017

This theorizing is why I wish Nintendo were a tad more transparent. All it takes to end it is - "Retro studios has something special, we'll be announcing it later this year."

DinoPulse

May 25, 2018
Wish Nintendo would hurry up and announce this direct. I'm fed up waiting at this point.
Now this is why I made my passion filled comment earlier with all the questions I have that I wanted answered that I also feel we Nintendo fans want answered as well.
Nintendo is playing a game with us, and it happens far too often and I'm sick of it!

I just want to know better of what the Nintendo Switch's 2019 is gonna look like darn it!

Boy Wander

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
UK
Been playing through my Wii and Wii U collection recently and I've decided that I really want "SNES Remix".

Oddish1

Oct 25, 2017
We should probably be cautious taking any rumors about Retro's scrapped or in development games as gospel. Star Fox GP has only ever been a rumor and even people who heard about it were very careful in saying that they're not certain it exists. We just don't know what's going on with Retro and only have rumors and speculation to go on.

nocdaes

Dec 6, 2018
UK
I almost feel like I'm going to miss all the Retro Studios speculation! As soon as they announce Star Fox GP (or whatever it is) then we will all know we're looking at a 2 year wait before we see or hear even a hint of anything Metroid Prime 4 from them. I'm not sure how we'll all cope without having Retro Studios "they're fine vs they're in trouble" debates!

2019 is going to be a very good year for Retro Studios, I'm confident of that.

karmitt

Oct 27, 2017
We should probably be cautious taking any rumors about Retro's scrapped or in development games as gospel. Star Fox GP has only ever been a rumor and even people who heard about it were very careful in saying that they're not certain it exists. We just don't know what's going on with Retro and only have rumors and speculation to go on.

The only idea I'm choosing to believe is that Retro was chosen because they have a good idea and are qualified enough to realize a AAA Metroid.

nocdaes

Dec 6, 2018
UK
It'd be nice to see it by 2021, otherwise cross gen Metroid here we come.

I certainly take heart from the fact Kensuke Tanabe is continuing to lead on MP4. That should, at the very least, speed up the pre-production a bit. Late 2021 is the earliest I'd expect it, yep. It feels doable, but there are so many unknowns... we don't know the vision for the game, or the multiplayer... this could be a much bigger project than we give due credit for. The earliest I'd expect to see or hear anything on it is E3 2020, and that will be a very limited trailer at best, but don't write off a prolonged radio silence from Nintendo on this title! (I'm thinking they won't do that to us, due to the delay/re-start but it's up to them isn't it!)

Have to say, whilst I'm extremely happy to see Retro Studios handed Metroid Prime 4, my anticipation will be significantly curbed if they don't come out with some fruits from their past 5 years of labour first.

Going back to your original point, you are definitely right to keep those expectations in check... but... surely. Surely they have something to show us this year?!

Simba1

Dec 5, 2017
Absolutely nothing is known about post April (April is a really good month for Switch though), only games dated are Team Sonic racing and Crash Tag Team Racing. Even if Nintendo dates a one first party game per month post april, schedule still looks weak. We really need some quality third party announcements asap.
Do we expect any third party game announcements soon? In Direct or not? We have couple of games slated for release for April but beyond that we have almost nothing. I literally cannot guess anything.

I am pretty sure we still dont know full Switch lineup for April, maybe not even for March, not to mention May-June.
In most cases, 3rd party games for Switch are announced around 3 months (or less) before launch, espacily when comes to older ports.
In December we had MK11 and Crash Team Racing announcements, last month we had Dragons Dogma announcement and FF release dates, last week Darksiders announcement and yesterday we had Baldur's Gate games announcements.
Saying that, I am prette sure Nintendo saving strongest 3rd party announcements for Direct.

Ok, I'll play this game as well:

• Ubisoft: They're too focused on other platforms, I'd be surprised if we see anything important from them. I expect them to announce Mario+Rabbids (with Rayman) for 2020 at E3 and that's it. Maybe we'll see some last gen ports on Switch but I highly doubt it.
  • Take-Two: XCOM 2 is a high possibility but first we'll see Civ 6 expansions on Switch. I refuse to believe GTA5 is a thing on Switch after Manhunt 2 debacle on Wii. I also expect WWE to return this year.
  • EA: Fifa, nothing else.
  • Activision: They're really unpredictable. They have skipped Switch for Spyro but Crash Racing is coming. Could this year be the one they finally invest in Switch? Treyarch is such big fans of Nintendo, I want to believe they're returning with a brand new Call of Duty
  • WB Games: I expect big surprises from them. MK11 is a nice one but more will come from them after they see its sales were really good. What? Maybe a new IP. Maybe a DC hero game.
  • Bethesda: Doom Eternal should come out early 2020. They will have nothing else for Switch in 2019. Fallout 4 makes the most sense but no.
  • Square: They will announce the followup to Octopath for 2020. For 2019, they will continue to release older games. Builders 2 is already on the way but we'll see KH collection and modern Tomb Raider games. A wishful thinking says maybe FF13 trilogy too.
  • Capcom: Most sane thing they could do is continue releasing last gen ports on Switch. DMC games, Dead Rising, Lost Planet trilogies etc. I expect them to do that but only for few games. Their only new game will be Ace Attorney 7 which will see a release in west in 2020.
  • Namco: Least untrustworthy of them all. Still putting us through those stupid "tests" to bring their games. I don't expect a lot from them, but yeah, that DBZ RPG seems to be lock. Another Katamari game? What are Media.Vision doing right now, a followup to cyber Sleuth? A Tales game announcement will also happen but for 2020. Maybe we'll see Dark Souls 2 on Switch but it's From's decision to make. Jump Force? World Seeker? Naah. They won't bother.
  • Sega: No Yakuza but I think there will be some nice surprises from them. They always make Monkey Ball games for each handheld but Switch still hasn't got its own. There will be a Sonic game announcement with a 2020 release. Maybe some remasters? Nights Wii remaster?

-Ubisoft: AC III collection is heavily rumored (but it seems it has different release date compared to other versions) , and other last gen AC games are possible, also games like FarCry 3/4 are also possible and have sense.
-Take-Two: Comparing Manhunt2 with GTA5 dont make any sense, GTA5 is one of best selling games of all times, and you can bet that full handheld GTA5 would be huge deal in any case, port for Switch even whithout online would easily sell more than 3m+. Also games like Xcom, Borderlands collection and Bioshock games are possible. Just 2 days ago they said that CiV6 "significantly exceeded expectations" and they will gave more support to Switch.
-EA: Its best to not expect anuthing from them, but Plants vs Zombies or some other IP that they are willing to put on Switch this year is possible.
-Activision: Almost certain why Spyro dont coming to Switch for now, is because Spyro takes around 50-60GB on XB1/PS4 and Switch carts were expansive, saying that later port for Switch (with point that carts prices are going down) is very possible. Even Wii and WIi U had couple of CoD games, so yeah, Switch could easily get some CoD game this year.
-WB: They bringing MK11 so that means they could include Switch in some other new games. It seems they dont like to release older ports, but Injustice and especially Batman Collection ports are possible.
-Bethesda: Doom Eternal should be out this year, not next year, Wolfenstein Young Blood is also confirmed for Switch. Some other game is very possible for this year.
-Square: DQ11 coming this year almost certain, some kind of Bravely Default is also possible, plus plenty of more ports, I also expecting Tomb Raider port/s this year, maybe even KH 1-2 collection this year.
-Capcom: Yeah, more last gen ports, RE5/RE6, DMC collection...but its possible maybe even some current gen port.
-Namco Bandai: More Dragon Ball, Digimon, but Darks Souls 2 and God Eater 3 are also possible ports, even games like Soulcalibur and Tekken.
-Sega: I actually expecting some Yakuza port, its biggest Sega IP thats still not on Switch, and Switch will be soon best selling console in Japan.

Last edited:

TheFireman

Banned
Dec 22, 2017
I think the most likely scenario is that Nintendo asked Retro for a pitch, liked what they saw, and asked them to do it after finishing a game releasing this year (while putting preproduction staff on it immediately). To get ahead of "Metroid Prime 4 is cancelled" rumors, they released the video that they did.

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I was firmly on team Star Fox GP before because there was too much smoke for it to amount to nothing. Now...

giphy.gif

I am kinda over it. If it happens, it happens. Maybe at E3, maybe earlier, maybe not at all. It's been so long and we've been through the same arguments over and over so many times that speculating about what Retro might be working on has lost its appeal.

nocdaes

Dec 6, 2018
UK
I think the most likely scenario is that Nintendo asked Retro for a pitch, liked what they saw, and asked them to do it after finishing a game releasing this year (while putting preproduction staff on it immediately). To get ahead of "Metroid Prime 4 is cancelled" rumors, they released the video that they did.

Yep, this certainly rings true. I think they were keen to get ahead of those rumours because they feared a leak. Smash Bros leaks weren't uncommon, after all.

They don't need to fear a leak out of Retro at least. Those guys are the masters of silence...

AzorAhai

Oct 29, 2017
So I've been busy lately and I don't get why Nintendo's lineup is so nebulous two years later. Sony and MS are planning next gen for sure, but with the Switch selling very well, not being too powerful, and most of their studios focusing on it, shouldn't we expect more release dates for 1st party games, and more frequently ?

I'm really confused.

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
So I've been busy lately and I don't get why Nintendo's lineup is so nebulous two years later. Sony and MS are planning next gen for sure, but with the Switch selling very well, not being too powerful, and most of their studios focusing on it, shouldn't we expect more release dates for 1st party games, and more frequently ?

I'm really confused.

Isn't this the Wii situation all over again? The Wii sold like hotcakes yet there were real dire droughts from Nintendo.

They are marching to the beat of their own drum, and striking the iron while it's hot is not really their bread and butter.

Noppie

Oct 27, 2017

I don't think the employees at Retro would want to risk their jobs like that. What weird theories I keep reading.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017

I'm really confused.
It is always the situation when the last Direct was a long time ago. We should have a clearer idea of the line-up soon enough.

Jun 21, 2018

I'm really confused.

Looking around, Nintendo has planned for 2019 more first party games than any other. We just need the dates.

Ravager777

Jan 1, 2018
Why would Nintendo do that?
This theorizing is why I wish Nintendo were a tad more transparent. All it takes to end it is - "Retro studios has something special, we'll be announcing it later this year."
I don't think the employees at Retro would want to risk their jobs like that. What weird theories I keep reading.
Guys, I was being ironic. Well, mostly ironic.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia
Anyone who actually thinks the Switch is having a software drought (or had one at any point last year) is crazy. At least there are actually games to play this quarter.

Remember the Wii U's killer Q1 2013 line-up? No? Didn't think so. Nintendo are publishing 4 times the amount of games this quarter compared to that one (since they only published a single game in those three months), possibly 5 times if some rumors/speculation show some results.

Mediking

Final Fantasy Best Boy (Grip)
Anyone who actually thinks the Switch is having a software drought (or had one at any point last year) is crazy. At least there are actually games to play this quarter.

Remember the Wii U's killer Q1 2013 line-up? No? Didn't think so. Nintendo are publishing 4 times the amount of games this quarter compared to that one (since they only published a single game in those three months), possibly 5 times if one rumor ends up happening.

Ehhh... Smash can only hold me for so long. Lol I need Animal Crossing and Fire Emblem Three Houses

Ravager777

Jan 1, 2018
I still haven't played the singleplayer of smash yet. And I have Celeste, Wargroove and Hollow Knight to play also. So I will be busy till late March at least

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia
leakypandy is saying a new monster hunter game will be announced for switch next month
Before anyone says anything about the Direct being confirmed for March, there's a Monster Hunter anniversary event next month.

LeakyPanda isn't even the first person to tease a Switch announcement soon anyway. I already saw one earlier.

Also, it's LeakyPanda. They should be on the ban list alongside Marcus Sellars.

wiill64

Oct 30, 2017

Remember the Wii U's killer Q1 2013 line-up? No? Didn't think so. Nintendo are publishing 4 times the amount of games this quarter compared to that one (since they only published a single game in those three months), possibly 5 times if some rumors/speculation show some results.
In Europe the only Nintendo published game we've had this year on Switch is NSMBUDX. Fitness Boxing came out in December and Marvelous published Travis Strikes Again here. Q1 2013 on Wii U had Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor's Edge, Sing Party, and Lego City Undercover published from Nintendo iirc.
I wouldn't say there's a software drought as there's plenty of third party titles to play but this is the quietest Q1 release schedule first party wise I can remember from Nintendo.

Status
Not open for further replies.