• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
The n3ds precedent paints a different picture tho.

There were a few notable games exclusive to it (Xenoblade, FEW...).
Some, but 99.9% will have to be compatible with the current model or it will be a huge waste :^S
Don't be so sure. I'm pretty sure people said the same about New3DS and it had (granted very few) exclusives.
Vevery very very few, it will improve current games by a lot but i wouldn't put my hopes on many exclusives, current switch will be fine for awhile as long as it keeps selling

Magicmilner

Alt account
Banned
Jan 7, 2019
I wish they became a Switch exclusive port studio. There are lots of games they could try to bring to Switch. Better than Warframe. Rage 2 for instance. Man, what I would give for a open world vehicle based shooter on a handheld...

They seem to be mostly known for the work they have done on Switch ports so far. They mentioned this last year saying they were now 'Very in-demand'

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...sful_switch_ports_working_on_several_projects

They also mentioned they have a 'ton' of Switch projects in the works (This was after the Warframe announcement)

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2018/07/panic_button_says_it_has_tons_of_switch_projects_coming_up

The only project we know officially they are working on is Doom Eternal. They may have staffed up since then and have multiple teams able to do Switch port work.

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
They seem to be mostly known for the work they have done on Switch ports so far. They mentioned this last year saying they were now 'Very in-demand'

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...sful_switch_ports_working_on_several_projects

They also mentioned they have a 'ton' of Switch projects in the works (This was after the Warframe announcement)

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2018/07/panic_button_says_it_has_tons_of_switch_projects_coming_up

The only project we know officially they are working on is Doom Eternal. They may have staffed up since then and have multiple teams able to do Switch port work.

I'm not sure about Doom Eternal. It's going to have a simultaneous release with other consoles, so Bethesda might be doing the port in-house. They're probably using the Wii method, first creating the Switch version then improving it for the other platforms.

Whatever Panic Button is doing for Switch right now, should be something else.

Magicmilner

Alt account
Banned
Jan 7, 2019
I'm not sure about Doom Eternal. It's going to have a simultaneous release with other consoles, so Bethesda might be doing the port in-house. They're probably using the Wii method, first creating the Switch version then improving it for the other platforms.

Ahh I thought we knew Panic Button was doing the port? That makes it more interesting then as we don't know any of the upcoming projects from them.

I am sure they will be working on something for Gearbox and that will get revealed next week.

V_ac

Avenger
Jul 2, 2018

No, Panic Button is doing the Switch version of Doom Eternal.
So you're developing it internally?
Marty Stratton:
No. We're actually working with Panic Button again, but before, we made the game and then we brought it to Switch, and now we are making the game with Switch in mind. It's nice to know the platforms we want to hit up front.

Magicmilner

Alt account
Banned
Jan 7, 2019
Doom Eternal is a confirmed 2019 release.

I know you can't really say much but, from what you know, when it comes to 3rd party support on Switch this year, will we see quite a bit of big western studio support? Or is it likely more Japanese 3rd party studios?

I guess I just want to see if my thoughts of having stuff like the Arkham games, Tomb Raiders and Bioshock Collection is actually possible or if I should forget having anything like that.

NateDrake

Oct 24, 2017
I know you can't really say much but, from what you know, when it comes to 3rd party support on Switch this year, will we see quite a bit of big western studio support? Or is it likely more Japanese 3rd party studios?

I guess I just want to see if my thoughts of having stuff like the Arkham games, Tomb Raiders and Bioshock Collection is actually possible or if I should forget having anything like that.
It'll be the same mix we have seen in the past. We'll see a few more western studio efforts (ports) but the landscape of releases will remain as it has.

Magicmilner

Alt account
Banned
Jan 7, 2019
It'll be the same mix we have seen in the past. We'll see a few more western studio efforts (ports) but the landscape of releases will remain as it has.

Cool, it's good to have an idea of what to expect,

I won't hold out hope that we'll see stuff like Batman and Tomb Raider but I would have loved to see them on the system.

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017

NateDrake

Oct 24, 2017
Simultaneous release + 2019 + external porting studio. Can it really be done? This is really a big promise, I'd like to see it happen. If it really does happen it means they're really taking Switch seriously.
It can be done. Starlink was a simultaneous release and handled by an external porting studio. Mortal Kombat 11 is shaping up the same way.

Last edited:

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
It can be done. Starlink was a simultaneous release and handled by an external porting studio. Mortal Kombat 11 is shaping up the same way.

Makes me wonder why this doesn't happen more often. Especially by Ubisoft. Obviously they're experienced in this, since the Wii times they have been excellent in down-porting thing (Driver San Francisco was surprisingly close to HD console versions). Currently they don't have anything for Switch but the AC3 port but for future they really need to take Bethesda example.

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
Makes me wonder why this doesn't happen more often. Especially by Ubisoft. Obviously they're experienced in this, since the Wii times they have been excellent in down-porting thing (Driver San Francisco was surprisingly close to HD console versions). Currently they don't have anything for Switch but the AC3 port but for future they really need to take Bethesda example.
The Wii was an SD console, so development costs were lower, and publishers could more easily justify a downport since they wouldn't need to sell too many copies to make a profit.

Plankton2

Dec 12, 2017
Probably get another direct/mini in the first 2 weeks of April

Should get Smash 3.0 news, new character, Mario Maker date, maybe MUA3 date, more Fire Emblem stuff and maybe some more Astral chain news.

I doubt they save all that for E3. Still got a lot of potential news for the holidays with LM3, AC, Retro, Zelda, pokemon and 1 or 2 new 2020 games.

Jet Jaguar

Dec 3, 2017
With all due regards to people who ported Sonic Mania, that should have been a way smaller project than anything else, especially MPT which would probably need a complete asset revamp. This doesn't make much of a comparison.

Actually they ported Sonic while it was being developed to meet day & date release and there were sound issues at launch so I don't think you can write it off as a simple/diminished job. I doubt they then revamped all 3 prime games in just one year to be sitting on it.

My guess is Retro most likely did the Trilogy port in-house.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Emily said "Pikmin 4 was rebooted". I wonder what type of game we'll see. How different will it be from what we know as "Pikmin". I'm assuming it will still be SRPG.

OP
OP
Kevin360

Kevin360

OG Direct OP
Oct 25, 2017
I'm excited to play Pikmin and Metroid on my Switch this year.

Honestly, been itching to play Pikmin this week.

stan423321

Oct 25, 2017
Actually they ported Sonic while it was being developed to meet day & date release and there were sound issues at launch so I don't think you can write it off as a simple/diminished job. I doubt they then revamped all 3 prime games in just one year to be sitting on it.

My guess is Retro most likely did the Trilogy port in-house.
It's not that Mania port was simple in the "there's nothing to break" sense - I actually doubt any game qualifies for that - it's that it has a straightforward target scope for the Switch team. With MPT, if they keep the original, say, models and textures, it's a decision someone made, consciously or not; they could do something else, as Zelda updates show. With Sonic Mania, anything being intentionally different than in other versions of the game would make little sense.

Christo750

May 10, 2018
A Switch successor is really strange to think about.

I have a difficult time thinking a Nintendo console releasing as a more traditional machine after the Switch's success will be as well received. Switch has really carved a great niche for Nintendo amongst the current console landscape.

But I don't know what would be the appropriate branding for a Switch successor. Super Switch? Kinda sounds silly and "kiddish". Switch Pro, definitely not. Switch 2 just seems safe but maybe that's whats best.

I'm just nervous of them putting themselves in another Wii U situation.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I have a difficult time thinking a Nintendo console releasing as a more traditional machine after the Switch's success will be as well received. Switch has really carved a great niche for Nintendo amongst the current console landscape.

But I don't know what would be the appropriate branding for a Switch successor. Super Switch? Kinda sounds silly and "kiddish". Switch Pro, definitely not. Switch 2 just seems safe but maybe that's whats best.

an enhanced Switch like the XBOX or the PS4P could be called the Switch Plus

Xpike

Oct 25, 2017

itll be the switch, but with better hardware and features

Christo750

May 10, 2018
itll be the switch, but with better hardware and features
How does that sell? How do you market that?

I'm trying to draw comparisons to the iPhone, in the sense that they release the iPhone 7, 8, X, XS, etc., but everybody still only calls it an iPhone. I just don't think consoles work like that because there needs to be some kind of defined user base for third parties to gauge development prospects.

Xpike

Oct 25, 2017
How does that sell? How do you market that?

I'm trying to draw comparisons to the iPhone, in the sense that they release the iPhone 7, 8, X, XS, etc., but everybody still only calls it an iPhone. I just don't think consoles work like that because there needs to be some kind of defined user base for third parties to gauge development prospects.
like every other console has done ever
new games that can only run on the newer hardware

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
Emily said "Pikmin 4 was rebooted". I wonder what type of game we'll see. How different will it be from what we know as "Pikmin". I'm assuming it will still be SRPG.

I hope they upgrade the gameplay a little. Pikmin gameplay so fresh when it first came out but this "minion" type games are now everywhere (every Ratchet game has a "minion" section). I don't know what they can add to that but a just a Pikmin 3.5 won't make anyone excited.

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
this is a weird thing to think about so many decades into modern gaming

I can see where he was coming from - I mean, the Xbox One X (a 'newer stronger' Xbox One) still remains a poor name for a 'pro' console - but given that we've got the PS, PS2, PS3 and PS4, I think it's just fine. I think its' weird nonetheless to call it 'Switch 2'. Hence my suggestion of Pro / Deluxe.
As long as the console either has a change in number, or a buzzword to make it clear the console is more powerful and a worthy upgrade, it should be fine.

Introducing the New Switch!
Introducing the New Switch XL!

Deleted member 2340

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What? You're overthinking this. Call it Switch 2 and be done.

That's not a good idea after the Wii U. I would keep the concept of the Switch but name it's successor something else.

I don't know why but appearantly consumers aren't confused by Sony's naming scheme PS -> PS2 -> PS3 -> PS4 or Microsoft X-Box -> X-Box 360 -> or even the X-Box One but if Nintendo's adds a U or maybe a 2 behind their console it's confusing consumers and may flop.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's not a good idea after the Wii U. I would keep the concept of the Switch but name it's successor something else.

I don't know why but appearantly consumers aren't confused by Sony's naming scheme PS -> PS2 -> PS3 -> PS4 or Microsoft X-Box -> X-Box 360 -> or even the X-Box One but if Nintendo's adds a U or maybe a 2 behind their console it's confusing consumers and may flop.
I don't see how "Switch 2" would be confusing, but you say "Playstation 2" isn't. and then you have phones that do this exact naming scheme without problem as well

Status
Not open for further replies.