• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Finally some new news. We can discuss the new rumors of an enhanced and lite Switch. It's saying they're both coming this year? I was expecting only the lite and a pro to come next year.

Nov 3, 2017
That WSJ article manages to say almost nothing while saying a lot... I will be truly baffled if they omit features like HD Rumble from the cheaper version. That would mean games like Super Mario Party would be unplayable unless the player has another pair of Joy-Con lying around. For the premium variant, it'd be wise to improve the experience around gameplay so I would focus on things like improved battery life, a brighter display, swappable back plates, a revamped USB-C port and hardware interfaces to support a high-performance doc.

If I were Nintendo, I'd be very careful to clearly brand these iterations and not to dilute the Switch brand creating consoles that can only do portable or docked mode.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Idc about HD Rumble. If they take it out oh well. Tell people to buy joycons with Rumble separately or package Super Mario Party with HD Rumble joycons. I'm primarily talking about the new portable Switch. They can strip features from it.

They said this

"people who've seen them said designs of new devices are "different from the original and you'd be surprised.""

Surprise sounds like a good thing. I think the Enhanced version will have analogue triggers, bigger face buttons, voice chat from the system made a big deal with headsets, etc.

Last edited:

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
2019 and beyond having more ports and a small number of exclusives from third parties is fine by me. I just wish there were more ports of PS360 level games and PS2/GC/XBOX-remasters that aren't marred by performance issues or extremely low resolutions due to port studios having to constantly punch above their weight. Especially since a lot of them are late ports anyway.

Phoenom

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Finally some new news. We can discuss the new rumors of an enhanced and lite Switch. It's saying they're both coming this year? I was expecting only the lite and a pro to come next year.

I was thinking maybe they mean fiscal year, as in before next march. So the cheaper model could release 2019 to coincide with Pokémon, and the Pro model in early 2020 to boost early year sales.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I was thinking maybe they mean fiscal year, as in before next march. So the cheaper model could release 2019 to coincide with Pokémon, and the Pro model in early 2020 to boost early year sales.
I could see that. I've seen speculation that the cheaper model could release as early as June with Mario Maker 2.

Phoenom

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I could see that. I've seen speculation that the cheaper model could release as early as June with Mario Maker 2.

That'd be a good idea too. I just can't see two entirely new Switch models releasing at the exact same time: muddies the water too much even if the marketing and design is clear. Far better to space them out, and the cheaper model makes much more sense to release first.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That'd be a good idea too. I just can't see two entirely new Switch models releasing at the exact same time: muddies the water too much even if the marketing and design is clear. Far better to space them out, and the cheaper model makes much more sense to release first.
Yeah I can't see 2 versions coming this year. Release the cheaper one with Mario Maker 2. Animal Crossing, Pokémon, Fire Emblem. This is your 3DS handheld crowd coming over and a more casual crowd coming. So you have the cheaper hardware for them and focus on them for this year.

The Enhanced version can release by March next year. Maybe Nintendo will have a game that shows off how the Enhanced features benefit whatever game releases near it.

Simba1

Dec 5, 2017
I just wish there were more ports of PS360 level games and PS2/GC/XBOX-remasters that aren't marred by performance issues or extremely low resolutions due to port studios having to constantly punch above their weight. Especially since a lot of them are late ports anyway.

Agree, current gent port have low resolution, worse graphic than on other platform, dont run great...but last gen ports and PS2 ports would look and run great on Switch, I mean most of PS3/360 ports on Switch are 1080p, and we have plenty of great last gens games that are still not on Switch (Tomb Raider, Batman, Far Cry, Call Of Duty, Kingdom Hearts, GTA V, Fallout 3, Bioshock, Yakuza, Borderlands, other Assasins Creed games, Metal Gear Solid, Silent Hill, Dark Souls 2, Dragon Age Origins...).
Also its not point that those games could have normal resolution and run great on Switch, but all those great games could be now be played in full handheld mode on Switch.

Phoenom

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Yeah I can't see 2 versions coming this year. Release the cheaper one with Mario Maker 2. Animal Crossing, Pokémon, Fire Emblem. This is your 3DS handheld crowd coming over and a more casual crowd coming. So you have the cheaper hardware for them and focus on them for this year.

The Enhanced version can release by March next year. Maybe Nintendo will have a game that shows off how the Enhanced features benefit whatever game releases near it.

Yup, pretty much the New 3DS strategy of an early year release for an upgraded piece of hardware with supporting big name software (Majoras Mask, Xenoblade).

Łazy

Nov 1, 2017
2 different switches if well done could be a really nice move, especially if the range of price is "wide" enough to make people wonder which one they'd get as well as compare with other people's choices.

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
2 different switches if well done could be a really nice move, especially if the range of price is "wide" enough to make people wonder which one they'd get as well as compare with other people's choices.
That's the thing.

If the prospective buyer of this Switch mini starts thinking about the added costs of buying Joycons for full functionality and decides to buy a normal Switch instead, I don't think Ninty would mind at all.

Pokémon

Oct 27, 2017
I am not quite sure if Nintendo is really going to introduce the new SKU(s) at E3 like the WSJ article suggests. I always thought they would do it via press release and random video drop on youtube like they did with the New 3DS and New 2DS.

Christo750

May 10, 2018
Love the idea of an enhanced Switch, but that "surprise people" with how it looks line, idk. I wonder how it changes the form factor.

dmpillay

Mar 18, 2019
The report suggests 2 types of Switches, presumably a stronger and budget version, so by calling one the Switch 2 you won't have a twin naming system because they can't call it Switch 0.5. Similarly Switch Plus is great but it won't happen because the budget version will be Switch Minus and that connotates negative performance on their system as if its a downgrade (which it kinda is but still)

Something like Switch Mega and Switch Micro will do or even Switch Pro and Mini

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
The report suggests 2 types of Switches, presumably a stronger and budget version, so by calling one the Switch 2 you won't have a twin naming system because they can't call it Switch 0.5. Similarly Switch Plus is great but it won't happen because the budget version will be Switch Minus and that connotates negative performance on their system as if its a downgrade (which it kinda is but still)
You don't have to have matching names between units.

You could call the strong one Switch Plus and then turn around and call the other one Switch Mini or Switch Pocket.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't Iphone call some enhanced units Plus while using the alphabet for other models?

Marmoka

Oct 27, 2017
New Nintendo Switch
Nintendo Switch Mini

Could we speculate for a new Direct coming in April or May because of this?

Mobu

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I think it could hurt the brand if they do shit like "non portable/portable only/no joycon/dock only" versions, would be a confusing mess

And pls no outdated clamshell

Vareon

Oct 25, 2017
I think it could hurt the brand if they do shit like "non portable/portable only/no joycon/dock only" versions, would be a confusing mess

And pls no outdated clamshell

Switch has done its messaging loud and clear by now, I think they can take the risk of introducing new model.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
Ugh not the hardware rumors :/ games are much more exciting to talk about and the Switch hardware is already good as it is

I'm predicting a Smash "Video Presentation" (not called a Direct bc it'll be shorter) detailing Joker, new modes and revealing the second character. That'll be in April.

I don't know if we'll get another full direct before E3. Just two months between them is pretty crazy. But at the same time, I don't think they'll save the Mario Maker 2 blowout til E3, it has to be before.... hmmm....

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
FYI ThePandar0o mentionned that we were getting another Direct (other than a Pokemon event) before a few months ago.

He doesn't count Nindies showcases as Directs.

JackLinks

Banned
Mar 21, 2019
2019 and beyond having more ports and a small number of exclusives from third parties is fine by me. I just wish there were more ports of PS360 level games and PS2/GC/XBOX-remasters that aren't marred by performance issues or extremely low resolutions due to port studios having to constantly punch above their weight. Especially since a lot of them are late ports anyway.

This is the most puzzling thing to me

The switch is the best selling console in the world and isn't getting big new games from activision, take 2 or ea.if anything it should be their priority for last gen ports.

Instead you get nothing.

That's why i'm looking forward to what Microsoft's games. They should plug in the gaps nicely and hopefully make a ton of money

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This might be one of the best years for Nintendo announcements. If all the Microsoft rumors come true and the 2 Switch consoles are true it might just be.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's not hard to understand why some of these insiders don't come out and say what they know. It's easier for someone like King Zell who is an unknown and has nothing to his name. He's not tied to any companies so he can be more frank.

Mpl90

Oct 25, 2017
ThePandar0o is not a reliable source, at all. I'm shocked people are still taking them seriously.

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
That WSJ article manages to say almost nothing while saying a lot... I will be truly baffled if they omit features like HD Rumble from the cheaper version. That would mean games like Super Mario Party would be unplayable unless the player has another pair of Joy-Con lying around. For the premium variant, it'd be wise to improve the experience around gameplay so I would focus on things like improved battery life, a brighter display, swappable back plates, a revamped USB-C port and hardware interfaces to support a high-performance doc.

If I were Nintendo, I'd be very careful to clearly brand these iterations and not to dilute the Switch brand creating consoles that can only do portable or docked mode.
Switch Portable. Branding problem solved.

Peru

Oct 26, 2017
There won't be a 'Switch Portable' or 'Switch Docked', ever, but the cheaper version may at one point come without a dock included.

Łazy

Nov 1, 2017
I am not quite sure if Nintendo is really going to introduce the new SKU(s) at E3 like the WSJ article suggests. I always thought they would do it via press release and random video drop on youtube like they did with the New 3DS and New 2DS.
It's the Switch, it has to be a big reveal : P.
Especially if they introduce some kind of double "update" for the system simultaneously.

Just imagine a very nice E3 with good surprises, big trailers and in the middle, 2 new possible sexy versions (depending on what you're looking for) of the Switch. It really can multiply the appeal, to new people and previous users willing to change/get more for family and so on...

I think it's the right time to have the first real big E3 since years. 3rd year of the switch, possiblity new models, popular 1st party games coming, third party getting "really" onboard the ship, 3ds in the grave...
That's how you get back from a Wii U.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Get ready for a live Nintendo press conference with Switch revision reveals....

It could've happened if they weren't revisions.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Did something happen to make Pandaroo not credible anymore? He knew about Labo before it was revealed. He knew about Pokémon Quest before it was revealed.

ManNR

Feb 13, 2019
Which was my initial point. But according to Gridlock, it is a confusing name? IDK.
I find it a confusing name because it implies the current Switch is obsolete. Even if Nintendo retires the current SKU I don't believe they would want to give the impression that it was put out to pasture due to inferiority. It would be better optics to give it a half-step upgrade style name like the PS4 Pro. Out of everything I've seen here I prefer the Switch+ (although if I were being honest I'd love to see the Super Switch because I'm partial the the SNES).

Status
Not open for further replies.