• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Mother 3 AFAIK is a dead end

It was full steam ahead for a while but upon re-evaluation there were aspects of the game that weren't going to go without controversy
Yep it makes total sense. The way society is today it just wouldn't fly and the game isn't worth the bad rep Nintendo will get.

That sucks so much. We'll never see Mother 3 unless Nintendo really decides to remake the game.

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
Yep it makes total sense. The way society is today it just wouldn't fly and the game isn't worth the bad rep Nintendo will get.

That sucks so much. We'll never see Mother 3 unless Nintendo really decides to remake the game.
I think a Mother 3 localization isn't worth doing if Nintendo has to water the product down so nobody makes a big stink about it.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That's a shame. Hopefully we reach a point eventually where Nintendo isn't scared of the controversy, or society moves forward so that there is no controversy at all.
Considering the controversies in the game I don't think that's something society will move forward from. It's something Nintendo would have to redesign.

I don't know much about game development and if there's anything Nintendo can change from the regular game or they'd have to make a whole brand new game and change those few things.

PillFencer

Banned
Nov 15, 2018
Okay, you're right about that Fire Emblem Direct lol. Guess there's a chance. Hope it's on Pokémon Day at the latest

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
As an American I have no idea how important it is. Rate it from a holiday significance scale of Presidents day --> Christmas Day

It's like their Fourth of July or Canada Day. National Foundation = Founding of the nation, that sort of thing.

Of course, most countries don't make as big a deal of their national day as America does. But it's a day off.

Imran

Oct 24, 2017
I could be totally wrong and that they decided to push ahead, but last I heard that was the status.

ze_

Oct 28, 2017
So, I'm playing around with a piece on the series either for a personal blog or to pitch, so I won't go into too much detail about how the series got here, but AA is definitely in an awkward spot. AA5 and AA6 both found themselves in the position of trying to please all the branches of the fandom - to the point that the writers specifically ended AA6 in such a way they'd have a ton of room to write the next game - but AA6 sold less than AA5, and the DGS games had some of the worst sales in the series.

I think the series goes multiplat, but I don't know if it goes day and date multiplat. That depends on how much of a relationship Nintendo and Capcom have over the series. I could easily see a Switch exclusive launch with ports down the line, or a Switch + Mobile with other consoles/PC later.

And yeah, TGS is the primary showcase for the series. AAI1, PLvsPW, AA5, and DGS1 were announced outside of TGS, but didn't get actual gameplay reveals/details until a following TGS. AAI2/AA6/DGS2 were announced at or around TGS. But I was expecting AA7 to show up at TGS last year and all we got was AA123, so maybe they're breaking away from that.
Thanks! I think your read on how AA5/6 were written is spot on. AA6 in particular feels like a dramatic effort to try and pull together the disparate parts of AA4 and 5 into a second trilogy conclusion. What's left at the end is the option for either more of the same or a return to the original trilogy's dynamic...

I didn't consider a timed exclusive. I suppose they could do that. I know I'd prefer playing this sort of series on a handheld device, and generally speaking these type of games are performing well on Switch (and PC). I guess we've never really known exactly what sort of relationship they have when comes to these games.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What's the controversy? I don't follow earthbound or mother hype
I don't know exactly, but there are people called Magypsies in the game. I believe they're genderless and cross dressers.

Again I don't know exactly and I don't like talking about this stuff because it's out of my realm and I don't want to offend anyone. I heard there was issues with how the Magypsies are portrayed and stereotypical.

This poster talks a little about it.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/re...alf-wheres-mother-3.47566/page-3#post-8872689

Okabe

Is Sometimes A Good Bean
Aug 24, 2018
CafU1xl.gif

I hope you remember to tip your pizza delivery people.

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017
What´s your thoughts about MP1, 2 and 3?

MP1 is like...Ocarina of Time / Mario64 iconic to me. It's genius game design and brilliant translation of a 2D series into 3D. Timeless, like Resident Evil 4.

MP2 is more of the same on paper, but more original use of the Metroid formula, harder than MP1, and has a darker atmosphere. It's very good.

MP3 is a bit more compartmentalized in structure, and emphasises narrative more, but it's still an exceptional game and one of the best on the Wii.

All three together are just remarkable gaming. And a really tight trilogy, too. I've long attested that the trilogy's story is actually pretty good, well rounded, and like old school science fiction that isn't afraid to embrace more outrageous concepts.

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
Someone explain to me what's wrong with Mother 3. Never played it myself
An exhaustive list, some controversies more important than others.
Should I know who PixelPar is?
Hit-or-miss insider.
Correct: Pokemon Let's Go title and Pokemon GO integration; various third party and indie games; March 3 Direct; Monster Hunter XX localization
Incorrect: Purple Joy-cons for Smash; Dragon Quest Heroes I and II western release; "Metroid premiere"

Dellstrami

Feb 1, 2018
Someone explain to me what's wrong with Mother 3. Never played it myself

Magypsies come off as offensively stereotypical/transphobic. Their dialogue, personalities, looks etc. would likely have to be completely rewritten or redesigned. You can argue about the controversy but it would be playing with fire. Shame if that's what causes it not to be translated, it's such a beautiful game and the interest and meme factor would probably make it sell well.

Procheno

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 14, 2018
Stars aligning... Starfox Grand Prix supposedly being an FZero Starfox hybrid racing game with an adventure mode hub world...
Now the Gamexplain picture makes sense :o

MegaShadowX

Feb 5, 2019
MP1 is like...Ocarina of Time / Mario64 iconic to me. It's genius game design and brilliant translation of a 2D series into 3D. Timeless, like Resident Evil 4.

MP2 is more of the same on paper, but more original use of the Metroid formula, harder than MP1, and has a darker atmosphere. It's very good.

MP3 is a bit more compartmentalized in structure, and emphasises narrative more, but it's still an exceptional game and one of the best on the Wii.

All three together are just remarkable gaming. And a really tight trilogy, too. I've long attested that the trilogy's story is actually pretty good, well rounded, and like old school science fiction that isn't afraid to embrace more outrageous concepts.

Interesting, I love Ocarina of Time and Mario 64. This are my favourite videogames of all time, have some much fun with them. Especially Ocarina, to me, is the definition of videogame´s masterpiece.

My first experiencie with Metroid was on the SNES, but couldn´t get anything new. I always liked the idea of a Quake´s prespective in MP, but didn´t know if was well applied in it. Now I´m more excited about (possible) purchase a physical copy of all three.

Anyway, thank you for the info. Sometimes gameplays videos don´t do justice to the actual game.

ze_

Oct 28, 2017

It was full steam ahead for a while but upon re-evaluation there were aspects of the game that weren't going to go without controversy
Was Destructoid right all along?

"The core team behind the Rhythm Heaven series has more or less disbanded, and the last time anyone at NoA considered translating Mother 3, they shelved the game as soon as they got to the Magypsies. That was a while ago now, and if anything, management has gotten even less adventurous since then. Depicting Trans characters in a way that would likely insult both the political Left and the Right in the U.S., is the last kind of attention that Nintendo wants for themselves in 2017. They want nothing to do with those kinds of headlines and potential protests."

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
One of these days, it's going to be an actual Captain Falcon game, and they'll use Captain Falcon so as not to spoil it and we'll all be surprised.

Xpike

Oct 25, 2017
i dont believe mother 3 was ever considered
nintendo wouldve had to be very stupid to be like "yeah we're doing it" then realize millions of dollars in that the magypsies exist

srtrestre

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It really is. Probably one of the best 2D to 3D transitions of all time, which is a huge achievement considering all the big 2D franchises that either stumbled or just plain didn't survive the transition.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
How much does the National holiday in Japan mean for no announcement though? Announcements happen at 11 pm Japan time anyways, so it's not like it's during business hours on regular days.

JB2448

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Florida

Thank you for the honesty and lack of ambiguity. It's much appreciated.
It's a shame elements of Mother 3, such as the Magypsies and Tanetane Island, are being treated as too problematic for an official release. The full story is something that some may possibly need but will never get to experience because of an inability or lack of willingness to play the fan translation.
https://wikibound.info/wiki/Magypsy
https://earthbound.fandom.com/wiki/Magypsy
https://wikibound.info/wiki/Tanetane_Island
https://earthbound.fandom.com/wiki/Tanetane_Island

Status
Not open for further replies.