• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nocdaes

Dec 6, 2018
UK
Why would they announce it as a 2020 title alongside announcing Pikmin 3, a 2019 title, though?

Putting a release date against Pikmin 4 is near on impossible at this point. I mean, it's hard enough at the best of times, but at least things like Mario and Zelda we have a steer on it.

It may have restarted development, but we've no idea when or if that happened. And even if it started again, and we knew roughly when they took the decision, we'd still have no idea how much was salvageable and therefore whether the new development cycle is shorter.

There's a handful of titles that can literally come out "anytime", which is pretty exciting.

Bayonetta 3 - no-one really knows? 2019 makes sense given that 1+2 were ported early 2018, but it could be 2020?
Pikmin 4 - no-one knows. It could be 2019, 2020, 2021... nothing would surprise us.
Retro Studios - we know their last new release was 5 years ago, so it's "due" anytime now, you'd think...
Animal Crossing - many think Holiday, many think Summer, many think September... great example of a title that could land anytime!

Deleted member 35598

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 7, 2017
Spain
We know a Direct at some point, but why it's taking so long?

I don't understand that Nintendo strategy. It's not like gamers have unlimited money. If you give me visibilty on games coming in March, April and May, it could be less money I would use for game like Anthem, Rage 2, DMC5, Days Gone or the Outer World where I'm on the fence. And usually those games make a good job advertising with Preoders bonus or demo.

Nintendo were unable to perform as well as they wanted in H1. How about giving us a headstart on what's coming !!! It seems sometimes Nintendo doesn't want our money, it's crazy !

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia
I predict Pikmin 3 will be titled and marketed as a straight port, like Tropical Freeze and Captain Toad, instead of getting a DX or other subtitle. Even if there is new content.
I think so too. I'm not expecting much new content from this port. All of the DLC will be included, they'll make the Secret Files viewable without an internet browser, and maybe they'll just slide in those Pikmin CG shorts. Maybe a few minor changes or some form of easy mode beyond those.

Evergarden

Oct 25, 2017
t1549980000z0.png

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017
All leaks, including from the reliable to semi-reliable sources here, should be taken with a healthy pinch of salt. Not because of leaker discrediting, but because they're human, and it's most likely that most if not literally all of them are only hearing the information from first and or secondary sources rather than being the source themselves. What I mean by that is it's not that Emily, Zell, and Nate necessarily work for Nintendo and drop stuff from there, but that they just so happen to know some reliable people in position of useful information, or know people who know people in those positions.

It's frustrating when people rally against certain leakers for their ambiguity, or try to pull them up on inaccuracies. Obviously yes, higher strike rates indicate more reliable sources of information, but even those who've had misses have also had, in most cases, a regular assortment of strong hits that can't be just passed off as lucky guesses.

People just need to be reasonable and rational about the stuff they read. They need to accept it's second/third hand information, from a person who likely does not have literal evidence sitting in front of them. This means there's always, and always has been, room for inaccuracy. Sometimes plans change. Sometimes stuff is misheard but in the ballpark. Sometimes they're just plain wrong, because someone passed on something they thought was true yet wasn't.

When Zell, Nate, or Emily say anything pertaining to hints or leaks you should never take it as gospel. Because it's not. It's not an announcement, it's not from Nintendo, it's not a press release. Just be reasonable about it. Rationality warrants interest in those with pretty consistent strike rights (of which these three have actually been pretty on the money regarding Directs and upcoming announcements), but in practice it's still just words on a forum from anonymous users.

Or in short; none of us actually know a Direct is going to be announced for the 13th, or on the 13th. We're reason to believe it given consistency of current leakers, but it's not proof. If it doesn't happen, bummer, but so be it.

ghostship

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Bold of Nintendo to start promoting Box Boy and Animal Crossing without titles, too.

To be fair I'll give them partial credit for realising that the hilariously bad titles that people concoct for this stuff is usually the most obvious tell. Marks docked for resolving the issue by going in the opposite direction and suggesting Nintendo has run out of titles completely.

qrac

Nov 13, 2017
You know that the leak is fake by "Super Nintendo games - Available Now"

Nah, Nintendo aint gonna release SNES games untill this summer.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
Bayonetta feels like either a good January-February 2020 game (like the Switch ports) or, conversely, a good December 2019 game, to round out the year after the more heavily promoted pre-Black-Friday "mainstream" games.

If it's ready, of course.

But I wouldn't have pegged NSMB U DX as a January game, so maybe we're in a brave new world here.

Wombat_Lover

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jan 20, 2019
Should be time for Sidebar to show thier next game. Hopefully Tennis Story.

nocdaes

Dec 6, 2018
UK
You know that the leak is fake by "Super Nintendo games - Available Now"

Nah, Nintendo aint gonna release SNES games untill this summer.

Here's an exercise that *could* shed some light on the likely release window of SNES Online.

Compile a list of all the games that were included on the NES Classic Mini in Japan, US and Europe.
Delete all of the duplicates across the 3.
That gives you a list of all the emulated NES games they had for the Classic globally.
Now Delete all of the titles that are currently on Nintendo Switch Online in Japan, US and Europe.
That should leave you with around a dozen games, I reckon.
Nothing is stopping Nintendo from porting other titles that were not on the NES Classic, but given the current trend (we've seen a handful so far) I wouldn't expect a lot more of them. The strength of the remaining slate is also questionable (yes, we all have our favourites that aren't on it yet, but we are still nearing the bottom of the barrel now I'd say).
They've also started releasing 2 instead of 3 in some markets, which suggests they're low on "stock".

Of course, there's no way of knowing their strategy to support NES Online after SNES Online launches... Do they continue to launch NES titles each month, or do they stop and just move onto new SNES games each month? Or do they just go completely random and add the odd one here or there for either platform?

SNES Online could come anytime in reality, but I feel like it's going to be sooner than later given the amount of NES games that are now available. Mario 2 and Kirby were the biggest omissions as we went into 2019, and they're now there too.

Abicus

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Or in short; none of us actually know a Direct is going to be announced for the 13th, or on the 13th. We're reason to believe it given consistency of current leakers, but it's not proof. If it doesn't happen, bummer, but so be it.
The wonder from down under ladies and gentlemen. This is a good post and one to remember for the next few hours.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
All leaks, including from the reliable to semi-reliable sources here, should be taken with a healthy pinch of salt. Not because of leaker discrediting, but because they're human, and it's most likely that most if not literally all of them are only hearing the information from first and or secondary sources rather than being the source themselves. What I mean by that is it's not that Emily, Zell, and Nate necessarily work for Nintendo and drop stuff from there, but that they just so happen to know some reliable people in position of useful information, or know people who know people in those positions.

It's frustrating when people rally against certain leakers for their ambiguity, or try to pull them up on inaccuracies. Obviously yes, higher strike rates indicate more reliable sources of information, but even those who've had misses have also had, in most cases, a regular assortment of strong hits that can't be just passed off as lucky guesses.

People just need to be reasonable and rational about the stuff they read. They need to accept it's second/third hand information, from a person who likely does not have literal evidence sitting in front of them. This means there's always, and always has been, room for inaccuracy. Sometimes plans change. Sometimes stuff is misheard but in the ballpark. Sometimes they're just plain wrong, because someone passed on something they thought was true yet wasn't.

When Zell, Nate, or Emily say anything pertaining to hints or leaks you should never take it as gospel. Because it's not. It's not an announcement, it's not from Nintendo, it's not a press release. Just be reasonable about it. Rationality warrants interest in those with pretty consistent strike rights (of which these three have actually been pretty on the money regarding Directs and upcoming announcements), but in practice it's still just words on a forum from anonymous users.

At the risk of sounding like a kiss-ass, this is a great post and I think you are consistently one of the better posters on this forum, and this is why.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia
The strength of the remaining slate is also questionable (yes, we all have our favourites that aren't on it yet, but we are still nearing the bottom of the barrel now I'd say).
They've also started releasing 2 instead of 3 in some markets, which suggests they're low on "stock".
We aren't nearing the bottom of the barrel at all. We haven't even gotten half of the Wii U NES VC line-up yet.

And getting two games per-month doesn't suggest that at all. Nintendo just doesn't want to give us those Japanese exclusive games so we just get one less compared to them.

qrac

Nov 13, 2017
Here's an exercise that *could* shed some light on the likely release window of SNES Online.

Compile a list of all the games that were included on the NES Classic Mini in Japan, US and Europe.
That gives you a list of all the emulated NES games they had for the Classic globally.
Now Delete all of the titles that are currently on Nintendo Switch Online in Japan, US and Europe.
Nothing is stopping Nintendo from porting other titles that were not on the NES Classic, but given the current trend (we've seen a handful so far) I wouldn't expect a lot more of them. The strength of the remaining slate is also questionable (yes, we all have our favourites that aren't on it yet, but we are still nearing the bottom of the barrel now I'd say).

Of course, there's no way of knowing their strategy to support NES Online after SNES Online launches... Do they continue to launch NES titles each month, or do they stop and just move onto new SNES games each month? Or do they just go completely random and add the odd one here or there for either platform?

SNES Online could come anytime in reality, but I feel like it's going to be sooner than later given the amount of NES games that are now available. Mario 2 and Kirby were the biggest omissions as we went into 2019, and they're now there too.
Well I'm personally hoping for SNES games soon (and other Non-Nintendo platforms -> Give me back Wii Virtual Console!), and they could release it soon because of the state of Nintendo Online as of now and the subscription rate reports.

But if Nintendo gonna Nintendo then it's summer.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017

I'd maaaaaybe believe "SNES Online – March 2019." It's the "Available Now" that gets me, since they've already announced the NES games for the month. I don't think we'd get both NES games and the launch assortment of SNES games.

Of course, there's a part of me that thinks that Nintendo absolutely will push SNES Online to September to push for resubs. And presumably they'll sell SNES controllers too, and they might want to have more space between controller releases.

If it weren't for the in-app SNES leaks I'd almost expect Game Boy games first. April is the Game Boy's 30th anniversary, after all.

Lintendo

Sep 11, 2018
At this Point there is no doubt, that this something is coming I mean we are disscuting like over 160 Pages and "King Zell" never corrected us about anything... if we would be wrong.

His last post was just "LOL the doubting started early " , this Guy surley knows something, otherwise he wouldn't share any hints about a Direct or realted to that.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia
People keep suggesting that they'll hold back SNES games until September for resubs; but I think they'll play it a bit differently.
  • SNES games release in March to catch the rare six-month subscribes and get them back in, as well as making current subscribers more happy with the service during the first year.
  • Game Boy games will release in September, with more consoles promised for later as the year two re-sub hook.
Book it.

Deleted member 9584

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'd maaaaaybe believe "SNES Online – March 2019." It's the "Available Now" that gets me, since they've already announced the NES games for the month. I don't think we'd get both NES games and the launch assortment of SNES games.

Of course, there's a part of me that thinks that Nintendo absolutely will push SNES Online to September to push for resubs.
Didn't the President of Nintendo already come out and say not a lot of the players subscribe for a year and a lot of people dropped off after one month? In my opinion, releasing SNES games now is still not enough to get people on board for a year. They need to increase online functionality at the system (chat/messaging/etc) level as well as offer snes games.

Vern

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I will subscribe to Nintendo online as soon as I can play Super Metroid. Not a moment sooner. So hope Nintendo can get on that ASAP. 20 bucks per year for the besy game ever any time anywhere plus whatever else they put up on the service. Sounds good to me. I've been on so many flights and train rides with my Switch where I wished I could play Super Metroid and it's stupid that we can't yet.

And I also really appreciate EatChildren , always one of the best people on gaf and now here.

Status
Not open for further replies.