• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia
Broke: wanting Super Mario 64 to be fully remade for the collection.

Woke: wanting the Shoshinkai '95 demo of Super Mario 64 included in the collection as a special bonus.

JangleLuke

Oct 4, 2018
No matter what (potential) changes they would make, graphically or mechanically, some people would find a way to complain and say shit like: "they took the soul out of the game". It's bloody inevitable.

In a world where people (wrongly) think the 64 version looks better than the DS version, anything's possible.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
A Mario 3D collection wouldn't even be marketed the same as FF7 or RE2, or pushed as a similar product, so that's a really weird comparison.

Imitatio

Feb 19, 2018
Pumped for Paper Mario releasing this week, although I'm still playing Ruiner, a game that is VERY pretty (in this post-apocalyptic way) and a lot of fun, even if I definitely still have some issues wit the controls. Pretty enjoyable Imitatio
Good to hear! If the port is that technically sound, then I'll definitely give the game a shot. I love the setting and looks, the whole game's vibe/atmosphere.

I've got no idea how the controls actually work. Thought it played somewhat like a twin-stick shooter, no? (A la Enter the Gungeon?)

Ser_Kafka

Mar 23, 2020
Exactly. If they fix some flaws from botw and expand on it it can only be good. But I fear the magic of Botw's exploration might only work as well once. I don't expect the sequel to get as much great reviews but to be still a favorite for some fans.

Botw opens so many doors for the franchise it's just really exciting to see what they will do next.

I agree. They need to do something different with regards to exploration in BotW2 because after a certain point in the first game it was pointless.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Link's Awakening is my favorite 2D Zelda by far but $60 for modern graphics and some QOL improvements was a hard sell. $40 sure. I might have gotten it for $60 though if it had substantial new content, like some new dungeons or something.

Still, it clearly had enough value for consumers. And so would a collection of 3D Mario games.

Wispmetas

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
See this is interesting now, because the implication here is that LA doesn't deserve the same level of reinvention as the other two...but the question is why?

You're saying "deserve" like being a 1 to 1 remake with better graphics and QOL adjustements is a bad thing and somehow inferior to a reimagining. I can point you to so many people that would have preffered FF VII be a 1 to 1 remake.

Tialo

Dec 4, 2019
Regarding Mario 64 Remake: Have we ever thought about that Greezo could develop it? EPD Toyko will for sure do the main development, but maybe Greezo is doing some huge support for it. Zelda LA was finished nearly a year ago, so they could have helped EPD Tokyo for the last year.

Imitatio

Feb 19, 2018
The thing with BOTW is that it feels like lightning in a bottle. BOTW2 may be superior to BOTW on a bunch of aspects, but I dunno if it will be able to recapture the sense of wonder I got playing the first game.

In any case tho, I'm still hyped on BOTW2 and I'm Day 1 on that game.
Same. I fear it'll miss the spark of wonder the first game offered. Which really wouldn't be on the game itself, more on the iterative nature of the medium on the whole. Still, I'll probably enjoy it much more than any other open world game out there, even more than Xenoblade's open world (Xeno has other elements in which it is stronger than BotW was, though, like combat and characters, and its world is still superb).

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The thing with BOTW is that it feels like lightning in a bottle. BOTW2 may be superior to BOTW on a bunch of aspects, but I dunno if it will be able to recapture the sense of wonder I got playing the first game.

Aka the Super Mario Galaxy 2 syndrome

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
Personally I wouldn't want them to take a beloved 2D game like Link's Awakening and pulling an FF7/RE2 with it. That would basically mean throwing it in the BotW engine and that's gross. With the Link's Awakening we got people had more of a problem with the price than the quality itself.

Charamiwa

Oct 25, 2017
NST? They've got nothing better to do.
It took Capcom and Square Enix years of R&D and active development with their main teams to make these kind of games. The only way I can see a Link's Awakening remake of that size from Nintendo is if you ask them to give up on BotW 2.

As usual it's good to keep in mind that Nintendo can only do so much with the human resources that they have.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
It'd look so bad next to Resident Evil 2 and FF7-R; Link's Awakening was bad enough.
Link's Awakening was amazing, a far better remake than the bloated mess FFVII is. RE 2 is great though.

Mario 64 and Galaxy are some of the most beloved and iconic video games of all time. They can easily sell a package with them that's just a single upres. And uh, Mario Sunshine.
Sunshine and Galaxy can be released with some new texture work and small changes sure, but 64 is really ugly by today's standards. At least Mario needs to look less blocky.

EDIT: Also, you can't compare it to the Crash/Spyro remakes because those all have the same engine and physics. 64, Sunshine, and Galaxy all play vastly differently.
Yes, but remaking the visuals (not the gameplay) would be the same process.

I know a good collection of remakes would be more work than Crash/Spyro, but those games were released at a reduced price. Mario can be released at 60€ and sell a lot of copies if the package is appealing. It would be profitable enough, and they can even use these versions in the digital stores of future systems. I know that Nintendo can easily make this money releasing barebone remasters, but it will look bad and would be a really bad way to "celebrate" Mario.

Arkanim94

Oct 27, 2017
there is no reason to invest the amount of effort that a reimagining like FF VIIR needed in Link's Awakening, at that point you are making a new game with similar story beats, that works wonder for a historic game like FF VII but it would honestly be wasted on LA, and I say this as a great fan of that game lol.
might as well make a new game at this point.

Wander_

Banned
Feb 26, 2018

not sure why everyone keep saying this when it comes to Nintendo' sequels.

Deleted member 69942

User requested account closure
Banned
May 22, 2020
A second person has said that the original duology might get remastered/remade, and this time they appear to be in contact with other sources/leakers so that makes it more believable. I want to believe, but I'm already trying to force myself to think it won't happen.

But then again, Mother 3 is my favorite game, so I've been hurt before.

Btw where can I find that rumour.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Regarding Mario 64 Remake: Have we ever thought about that Greezo could develop it? EPD Toyko will for sure do the main development, but maybe Greezo is doing some huge support for it. Zelda LA was finished nearly a year ago, so they could have helped EPD Tokyo for the last year.

It's just a remaster, you don't need a big team for that.

Imitatio

Feb 19, 2018
There's much much more to it than raw sales when it comes to carrying a system's launch. For months, BOTW was in every gaming conversation, you had countless of people analyzing its design choices, its ideas, discussing of how it would influence the future of open world and even gaming in general. Even now, it is probably the most recommended game for any new switch buyer. It may not have sold more than Mario Kart, but BOTW was much more influential in the perception of the system.
Indeed. BotW is the critically acclaimed fan darling, MK8DX is the joyful popcorn game on the system.
Not even taking into account really that BotW is also commercially doing absolutely fantastic for the Zelda series.

ozeiyo

Feb 12, 2020
Good to hear! If the port is that technically sound, then I'll definitely give the game a shot. I love the setting and looks, the whole game's vibe/atmosphere.

I've got no idea how the controls actually work. Thought it played somewhat like a twin-stick shooter, no? (A la Enter the Gungeon?)
It does play like a twin-stick shooter, but it has a lot of close-up combat, and since I was playing ETG until a couple weeks ago, it's taking me a while to adjust, measure the distances, know when to get up close, etc (it doesn't help that ETG is perhaps one of the best and most intuitive games in the genre and everything else feels like a bit of a letdown).

On the technical aspect: I haven't really noticed frame drops or anything, but I've read a couple of reviews that mention frame drops, so there's that. Maybe read a few reviews or watch some gameplays beforehand (?)

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Sunshine and Galaxy can be released with some new texture work and small changes sure, but 64 is really ugly by today's standards. At least Mario needs to look less blocky.

I know a good collection of remakes would be more work than Crash/Spyro, but those games were released at a reduced price. Mario can be released at 60€ and sell a lot of copies if the package is appealing. It would be profitable enough, and they can even use these versions in the digital stores of future systems. I know that Nintendo can easily make this money releasing barebone remasters, but it will look bad and would be a really bad way to "celebrate" Mario.

Who is it going to look bad to? Guarantee the average consumer will just be excited to have Mario 64 and Galaxy on Switch.

MisterSpo

One Winged Slayer
Feb 12, 2019
I'd be surprised if we get any 2021 games besides BOTW2. I think we'll still get a Fall Direct and those will be announced then.
We'll probably mainly see 2020 games and if we're lucky a couple of small games with a vague 2021 date. BotW2 probably won't be there.

Don't you think so, Zach?
Definitely agree there; with so many 2020 announcements to catch up on that were delayed, they can get away with not showing anything for 2021 besides a potential big title that'd come in Q1 (probably Zelda). They definitely would've had a BotW2 trailer at E3, so they could push one out here i'm sure.
I know these are from a while back, but I'm agreed with this versus the "NINTENDO NEED A HUGE DIRECT" takes. There's no universe where, with the uncertainty of the pandemic, Nintendo decide to announce 18 months of first-party titles. I think reasonable expectations are we get a clear idea of the remainder of 2020 and the first clues as to what 2021 brings - so I think one or two games are either announced for or given a 2021 date. Even though Nintendo have been speculative and announced some further out titles on Switch, they've predominantly kept a tighter marketing focus than that. Even their major January 2017 reveal had a laser-like focus when it came to first-party games - everything shown there was a 2017 release.

Given what they told their investors - that some software is running behind schedule but that titles for the current financial year are on track - then some releases scheduled for April 2021 and later have an element of uncertainty right now. Now surely with some of those Nintendo are confident they'll hit a broad, 2021 release, and I'm sure in some cases Nintendo will shuffle resources to prioritise certain games (*cough* Zelda) - but they won't be as confident on others. It makes no sense to expect Nintendo to show much of their hand for 2021 when they've already given a coded indication that things aren't quite running as planned for 2021 ('slight delays in software development' was the phrase, I think) and when they've repeatedly erred on the side of caution with their marketing. The new reality isn't going to vanish when they do a Direct, and the habits and focus they've had since they first started promoted Switch aren't going to disappear either.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
See this is interesting now, because the implication here is that LA doesn't deserve the same level of reinvention as the other two...but the question is why?
Easy, it's a better game and has stood far better the test of time. RE2 with the fixed camera and the tank controls is a hard sell today, and FF VII had some wonky dialogue and SE thinks that any big game today can't be turn-based (except DQ of course). The thing is that playig the original today in the GB still feels good, more item slots and better graphics was the only improvements the game really needed.

Arkanim94

Oct 27, 2017
Super Mario 64 is a 3D platformer from 1996. You're getting a slightly better looking widescreen SM64 included in the collection with uprezzed Sunshine and Galaxy ports. Ring in those expectations.
honestly I expected much more from nintendo for one of their most important game of all time.

MisterSpo

One Winged Slayer
Feb 12, 2019
Think about it this way. Link's Awakening Switch was a remake of a 6 hour 15 hour 1993 GameBoy game that barely added or changed anything. 60 bucks.
Fixed that for you.

Agreed on the Mario stuff, though. If we get anything better than 64, Sunshine and Galaxy running in HD on a single cart I'll be pleasantly surprised.

Tialo

Dec 4, 2019
I highly doubt that Mario 64 will only be a simple 'Remaster'. If this would indeed be the case, then they could simply add it to NSO. I think there should at least be some graphical improvements beyond higher resolution.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
Link's Awakening was amazing, a far better remake than the bloated mess FFVII is. RE 2 is great though.

SM64 will probably have it's resolution bumped, textures fixed up, and probably some other tweaks.

Galaxy will probably look like the Nvidia Shield version:

Wander_

Banned
Feb 26, 2018
Think about it this way. Link's Awakening Switch was a remake of a 6 hour 1993 GameBoy game that barely added or changed anything. 60 bucks.

Super Mario 64 is a 3D platformer from 1996. You're getting a slightly better looking widescreen SM64 included in the collection with uprezzed Sunshine and Galaxy ports. Ring in those expectations.

3D World should be where the cool new shit is added

People should realize this now or else you're getting your feelings hurt next week, lmao.

6 hours?! you are confusing it with Shadow of the colossus Lol.

Imitatio

Feb 19, 2018
Right now, this feels like late Wii / Wii U era of Nintendo communication.
We all thought "something big must be right around the corner" but it never materialized before the Switch.

But something big must be right around the corner.
The stakes are different for Nintendo, though. The Switch has to have success, there is no second platform to rely on, and they know third parties won't carry the hardware like with the DS back then. They had to turn around the 3DS themself as well (+Capcom and Atlus), and saw how the WiiU ended up without the proper support.
If they haven't learned from that, then they would be indeed very dumb/ignorant.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
I highly doubt that Mario 64 will only be a simple 'Remaster'. If this would indeed be the case, then they could simply add it to NSO. I think there should at least be some graphical improvements beyond higher resolution.

I would say to keep your expectations in check.

If they were Virtual Console 10/15€ games, sure. But paying 60€ for games that normally would be far cheaper in digital format and won't be improved that much seems off.

Mario Galaxy is 20 dollars on the Wii U eShop right now. We'll be generous and say Sunshine, a GameCube game, also would be. Then Mario 64 is $10. That's $50, and throw in $10 for HD upres and minor fixes like camera and whatnot.

Status
Not open for further replies.