• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

When do you think the next General Direct will be?

• I still have a fool's hope: August

Votes: 434 31.2%
  • I'm realistic and boring: September

Votes: 491 35.2%
  • I don't like to commit to things: Anytime in 2020

Votes: 157 11.3%
  • I've been hurt too many times: 2021 Onwards

Votes: 311 22.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

-Le Monde-

Avenger
Dec 8, 2017

C.Tsubasa

Nov 8, 2017
this is the first year in years that we are approaching August and still not sure whats Nintendo is releasing this Fall.

i really hope that it has more than Mario collection and the 3D World port, if thats only whats coming than this had been a shitty year for the Switch.

prizna

Jan 15, 2018
Just gonna....drop another TOK recommendation right here. Concluding the purple streamer, and it's really gonna have to shit the bed for the rest for me to not consider it a top form PM.
Totally agree, absolutely loved TOK, sure it's not the RPG The Thousand Year Door was, but as its own thing it's an amazing game.

Deleted member 11276

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
this is the first year in years that we are approaching August and still not sure whats Nintendo is releasing this Fall.

i really hope that it has more than Mario collection and the 3D World port, if thats only whats coming than this had been a shitty year for the Switch.
This is not good.

I think this year is already destined to be shitty. Hopefully 2021 will be better...

prizna

Jan 15, 2018

Does this mean, you are currently unaware of other games that may release this year?

Fantastical

Oct 27, 2017
Yep all the positive feedback on TOK including that in the Giant Beastcast has assured me I'll pick it up eventually.

Lintendo

Sep 11, 2018

Well, it will be really disappointing Holiday Season if Nintendo only Releases "only" Mario Collection and Ports...

... are you expecting more than that?

Homura

▲ Legend ▲
Aug 20, 2019
There has to be something else.
If they really had only 3D World and 3D All-Stars they would have announced them by now. They're 4 simple ports that could be done in 1-2 months.

Magic-Man

User requested ban
Feb 5, 2019
Epic Universe

It sucks, but if it's true than I can't really blame Nintendo. This year is really weird when it comes to gaming in general (COD 2020 still hasn't been announced, no console launch dates or prices, several delays to major games, leaks galore). COVID sucks ass.

C.Tsubasa

Nov 8, 2017
Well, it will be really disappointing Holiday Season if Nintendo only Releases "only" Mario Collection and Ports...

... are you expecting more than that?

there must be more than that, with next gen systems releasing Nintendo need a blockbuster release like Zelda.

I hope that they are not over there heads again and settle for Mario ports only.

Ser_Kafka

Mar 23, 2020

Any game in particular you're looking forward to hear more about? (This isn't a tick question to get you to spill the goods).

Personally, I can't wait until the next BotW2 trailer gets shown, but equally excited to find out what new IP they've been working on. And also - give me a new 3D Donkey Kong or give me death! Think I'd prefer a new 3D DK as much as 'Odyssey 2'. DK needs more love!

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

It's crazy. 2016 was also a quiet year from them as they were gearing up for the Switch, but we still knew they had Pokemon Sun & Moon and Paper Mario Color Splash dated for the holidays.

Fantastical

Oct 27, 2017
there must be more than that, with next gen systems releasing Nintendo need a blockbuster release like Zelda.

I hope that they are not over there heads again and settle for Mario ports only.
On the one hand this is true but I think Nintendo should be more worried about 2021 honestly and... it seems like they will have a very good year. If they can put BOTW2 and 3D Mario our in 2021 that will really help in sustaining Switch sales amongst the big guys.

I think this holiday season they will be fine with Mario games, especially with bundles or limited editions. But they should hit the ground running in 2021 now that they should have several titles late in development to combat against the next gen games they won't be getting.

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
I have to think there would have been something big besides a Mario collection for the holiday season sans worldwide pandemic

NateDrake

Oct 24, 2017

They will be leaning on Mario pretty hard this holiday.

Melpomene

One Winged Slayer
Jun 9, 2019
I think if Nintendo have a really weak second half this year, they really need to go all-out in the first half next year. A full year's worth of slow output (with Nintendo's first halves usually being slow, relatively speaking) would not be a great look.

C.Tsubasa

Nov 8, 2017
I think if Nintendo have a really weak second half this year, they really need to go all-out in the first half next year. A full year's worth of slow output (with Nintendo's first halves usually being slow, relatively speaking) would not be a great look.

other than their big March release Nintendo always have a slow first half of the year.

Magic-Man

User requested ban
Feb 5, 2019
Epic Universe

Keep in mind, a weak second half by our standards doesn't mean a weak second half for most consumers. 3D World + 3D Collection will be massive, and add another two games (Pikmin + ______) onto that and it'll be fine. Nintendo doesn't need to go all out until H2 2021.

Homura

▲ Legend ▲
Aug 20, 2019
If Nintendo's strategy is to lean hard on Mario this holiday then omitting Galaxy 2 from All-Stars is completely stupid.

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017

Do they need, though? I predict even with just the rumored stuff, Mario ports and Pikmin 3, they'll break sales records and Switch will once again fly off the shelves.They certainly don't need a game in 2020 to make huge profits, it's us who needs the "big" games. Especially the folks who use Switch only for exclusives.

Melpomene

One Winged Slayer
Jun 9, 2019
other than their big March release Nintendo always have a slow first half of the year.
Yeah, that's what worries me. I would hope that they hypothetically plan to make up for a slow Q2/3 2020 with a strong Q1/2 2021, but Nintendo never goes all-out in the first half.

Here's hoping they've either got something else up their sleeve, or else extenuating circumstances mean they make an exception next year.

Keep in mind, a weak second half by our standards doesn't mean a weak second half for most consumers. 3D World + 3D Collection will be massive, and add another two games (Pikmin + ______) onto that and it'll be fine. Nintendo doesn't need to go all out until H2 2021.
That's true. I think no matter what, they'll probably be all right financially. It might be a rough time to be a super-fan, though.

Plankton2

Dec 12, 2017

It would be by far the worst year of the switch, worse than 2018.

I don't think any console in its 4th year had this little content. Surely they had to have something else planned before the pandemic.

If we do get this worse case scenario situation, I'm hoping it's because they are holding back for a switch pro and will do a mini launch for that.

Ser_Kafka

Mar 23, 2020
I haven't played:

- 3D Land & World
- Galaxy 1 & 2

And haven't played Mario 64 for like 20 years. So in a way these would be perfectly fine with me at holiday titles/bundles, but also I would expect Nintendo to have a big reveal also. Relying on ports just can't be enough, surely? The Mario games will undoubtedly sell a ton in the long term, but only a brand new 3D Mario or Zelda will be able to compete with next gen titles in the short term.

Tabaxi

Nov 18, 2018
If Zelda was a planned Holiday 2020 release before Covid, then I don't see how you can expect it to come out this year.

Do they need, though? I predict even with just the rumored stuff, Mario ports and Pikmin 3, they'll break sales records and Switch will once again fly off the shelves.They certainly don't need a game in 2020 to make huge profits, it's us who needs the "big" games. Especially the folks who use Switch only for exclusives.

Add in the Pokémon DLC, and yeah, Nintendo will do fine. It might be frustrating for a section of the fanbase, but Mario collection/Pikmin 3/Pokemon DLC is going to be a lucrative holiday schedule.

totofogo

Oct 29, 2017
Chicago
They wouldn't be releasing a physical edition of Cadence of Hyrule if BOTW2 was close behind. Wouldn't make any sense.

Eh, I disagree pretty strongly here. Sure they're both Zelda, but that's like saying they wouldn't release Mario Kart in the same year as a new Mario platformer.

That said, I agree Zelda is not a 2020 title. If that were the case, they'd have been dripping out content on it all year long. I'm sure the only reason they've been holding back on talking more about it is to not steal the spotlight off of other titles.

Plinko

Oct 28, 2017
Sounds like 3D World, collection, and MK9, to be honest. I'd really, really love for Pikmin to make it, but I'd be happy enough with that lineup, and so will my kids.

Mario Kart 9 would be crazy, but I think a Super Mario Party 2 would be more likely due to ease of development, no? Although I guess there's no telling how long they've been working on anything.

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I think it is fair to say that 2020 is a weak year for gaming, new consoles aside.

Status
Not open for further replies.