• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

The truth about [Hidden Content] is:

• The [Hidden Content] we made along the way

Votes: 151 19.3%
  • What [Hidden Content] said before insiders were run off

Votes: 30 3.8%
  • The Last Jedi

Votes: 152 19.5%
  • Honestly, I feel like user [Hidden Content] posts way too much.

Votes: 95 12.2%
  • [Hidden Content]

Votes: 206 26.4%
  • That's what [Hidden Content] said

Votes: 50 6.4%
  • Lightning [Hidden Content] twice

Votes: 97 12.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

prizna

Jan 15, 2018
NateDrake Do you think Nintendo would ever release MPT ahead of MP4 if the delay is big enough or do you believe they will always hold onto it to hype up the release of Prime 4?

Deleted member 43657

User requested account closure
Banned
May 19, 2018
93adb298ace578c16f01000a47c03f6c.gif

I'm sorry, I have no idea what you're talking about, I'm a litterature/art guy at school, the maths I had at school were rather basic and we used PEMDAS, learning the order of operations lol
Teachers who rely on PEMDAS do not understand mathematics. Grouping is important, however, people should be taught to evaluate and simplify based on terms in a mathematical expression.

For example, 9+18-13*2 contains three terms. Terms are any set of values separated by a + or - sign. In this case, the first sequential term is 9, the next sequential term is 18 and the last term is 13*2. These terms can be looked at separately and the central conceit that expressions need to be evaluated in "order" is false. PEMDAS would say you have to multiply first. No. You can instead add the first two terms to get 27. Then you can multiply the values in the final term to get 26. If you took this approach, you simplify the expression to 27-26, which is equal to 1.

Teaching people PEMDAS completely disregards the flexibility of numbers and reinforces the false idea that mathematics is driven by strict procedures.

NateDrake

Oct 24, 2017
NateDrake Do you think Nintendo would ever release MPT ahead of MP4 if the delay is big enough or do you believe they will always hold onto it to hype up the release of Prime 4?
I think they'll release it. Sit on it for too long and you'll need to return to tweak things.

While it is entertaining to see folks discuss math and how numbers function, you are putting way too much thought into it.

Xenolam

Jun 16, 2020
I just looked up the trailer for Sports Story and oh my god I need it. I never played Golf Story but this looks so fun.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Nobody learned to evaluate based on terms? Nobody acknowledges the flexibility of mathematical expressions? There is no "order" of operations. Such a conceit only drives home the idea that mathematics is purely based on procedures.

Yeah I have no idea what you're talking about...

Now please apologize to my dear Aunt Sally!

20, 8, 16, 35, 15, 7

THPIOG?

We got the next Zelda subtitle, people!

prizna

Jan 15, 2018
I think they'll release it. Sit on it for too long and you'll need to return to tweak things.

While it is entertaining to see folks discuss math and how numbers function, you are putting way too much thought into it.
I'm basically on the team of the numbers are red herrings and that '28th' and 'generally' is all we should be looking at from cap.

Dec 5, 2017
Teachers who rely on PEMDAS do not understand mathematics. Grouping is important, however, people should be taught to evaluate and simplify based on terms in a mathematical expression.

For example, 9+18-13*2 contains three terms. Terms are any set of values separated by a + or - sign. In this case, the first sequential term is 9, the next sequential term is 18 and the last term is 13*2. These terms can be looked at separately and the central conceit that expressions need to be evaluated in "order" is false. PEMDAS would say you have to multiply first. No. You can instead add the first two terms to get 27. Then you can multiply the values in the final term to get 26. If you took this approach, you simplify the expression to 27-26, which is equal to 1.

Teaching people PEMDAS completely disregards the flexibility of numbers and reinforces the false idea that mathematics is driven by strict procedures.

I started typing an argument to this, because of the difficulty of teaching children numerical concepts, before I was convinced of your argument. People need to understand how numbers relate to each other, the concept of mathematics and numbers should not be a simple algorithm.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think there's serious discussion to be had about MP4 possibly being a multiplat game. BotW 2 will release by 2021. EPD 8's new 3D game will release by 2021 most likely. A successor to Switch will probably come in 2023. A new 3D Zelda can't make it. 3D Mario can't. Nintendo will want a premier single player game at launch.

coolcam52

Jan 14, 2019
20, 8, 16, 35, 15, 7
7, the amount of weeks until the next amiibo release in America

15, the number of mainline Mario platformers

35, it's the 35th anniversary for Mario

16, the amount of mainline Mario platformers by the end of 2020?

8/20, the current month and the month of the reveal

Later this month a new mainline Mario will be revealed for Switch to launch on October 2 to celebrate the 35th Anniversary. Thanks Nate!

hologram

Jun 30, 2020
Nobody learned to evaluate based on terms? Nobody acknowledges the flexibility of mathematical expressions? There is no "order" of operations. Such a conceit only drives home the idea that mathematics is purely based on procedures.
Order is very important in mathematics. The reason why order "does not matter" in many common contexts (such as addition, multiplication) is that these operations are special. Specifically, addition and multiplication are both binaries operations which are associative (i.e. (x + y) + z = x + (y + z)) and commutative (i.e. x + y = y + x). PEMDAS is a convention, not a rule, which (in part) states that the expression x + y * z should be interpreted as x + (y * z) and not (x + y) * z, since a priori the rules of addition and multiplication do not actually give meaning to such an expression.

Ser_Kafka

Mar 23, 2020
Would somebody be so kind and fill me in on what's happened since Cap's image?

When I click on it I can't see any numbers highlighted?

Aug 25, 2019
7, the amount of weeks until the next amiibo release in America

15, the number of mainline Mario platformers

35, it's the 35th anniversary for Mario

16, the amount of mainline Mario platformers by the end of 2020?

8/20, the current month and the month of the reveal

Later this month a new mainline Mario will be revealed for Switch to launch on October 2 to celebrate the 35th Anniversary. Thanks Nate!
Nate, can you confirm?

ivandlspozas

Jan 28, 2019
I think there's serious discussion to be had about MP4 possibly being a multiplat game. BotW 2 will release by 2021. EPD 8's new 3D game will release by 2021 most likely. A successor to Switch will probably come in 2023. A new 3D Zelda can't make it. 3D Mario can't. Nintendo will want a premier single player game at launch.
Metroid Prime 4 and Mario Kart 9 is perfect for the Switch 2 launch.

Ron57

Jul 20, 2020
I'm bored at work with nothing to do.

Assuming Order of Operations matters, here's all the distinct combinations of calculations based on Captain's Numbers. This also assumes that the 18 circled is just the date of the indie.
2-9+3*1 = -4
3-9+2*1 = -4
1-9+2*3 = -2
9-3+2*1 = 8
2-3+1*9 = 8
9-2+3*1 = 10
3-2+1*9 = 10
9-1+2*3 = 14
1-3+2*9 = 16
3-1+2*9 = 20
1-2+3*9 = 26
2-1+9*3 = 28

Combine that with lightning strikes twice (assuming we get 2 directs in August), we can rule out everything up until the 20th.
I very much doubt we'll have an indie the 18th and a general on the 20th (unless that's the real hidden meaning behind lightning strikes twice).

Combining that with Nate's hints, I'm going to go with it's either the 26th or 28th. My money is on the 28th.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.