• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

filkry

Oct 25, 2017
Right now I literally can only think about the hype for the next Fire Emblem game... if IS play their cards right, they could keep the momentum going by releasing a remake in 2021 and going all out with a new game in 2023.

Since we found out KT led most dev on Three Houses, I'm really interested in what Intelligent Systems has been up to. Another FE in 2020/21 would probably be too soon, so part of my is thinking Advance Wars...

Mbolibombo

Oct 29, 2017
Not much has been said about Astral Chain since the last Direct, and it's due out at the end of this month. While a Direct at the end of August is unlikely it wouldn't be too crazy if they wanted to get Platinum Games involved.

While it's true that they didnt talk much about Astral Chain in July (for obvious reasons) the twitter accounts has been quite active on Astral Chain since the beginning of august. NoE has posted/retweeted 11 updates of videoclips, interviews, pictures and posts to hype up the game since the beginning of august and NoA has done it 13 times in the same time frame.

I think Nintendo even after it's highly detailed tree house segment on the game has shown off the game quite well in the last couple of weeks.

Nevermeltice

One Winged Slayer
Feb 10, 2019
Since we found out KT led most dev on Three Houses, I'm really interested in what Intelligent Systems has been up to. Another FE in 2020/21 would probably be too soon, so part of my is thinking Advance Wars...

Man, I don't know. There was just a one-year gap in the West between Fates and Echoes, I could see IS come up with a remake in two years.

Akita One

Oct 30, 2017
Mario Odyssey is the best selling 3D Mario...
3D World sold 5 million on a system that only sold 13 million pieces of hardware..only outsold by Mario Kart. 3D Land basically saved the 3DS, and has only been outsold by Pokemon games, a MK game, and barely, by NSMB2...even though it released 8 years ago. And SMO has only slightly outsold it.

A 3D World sequel with multiplayer will do better for sure than a single player sandbox game. It isn't outselling those 3D Marios at the same rate that BOTW is with other Zeldas...people doubt the influence that multiplayer Mario had with the hype for this series. The fact that Odyssey only slightly outsold 3D Land, which is also single player, but didn't have the hot start that the Switch had, is very telling.

This is like the people that couldn't understand why NSMBUD was re-released for the Switch. Local multiplayer Mario is huge.

Last edited:

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
Oof, and forego that delicious 2D Ko Takeuchi art? Count me out, boss.

Series have already experimented with 3D games before that's nothing new, I just wanted a 100% 3D one. Dr Crygor's games even were made up by real life photos.

They could transfer Takeuchi art to 3D perfectly fine, I trust IntSys.

Christo750

May 10, 2018
Do we really know the third party schedule for beyond September? Into the rest of the year?

Last year, Switch had a pretty jam-packed October/November with bigger third party releases. This year besides Witcher 3, what else is there with a confirmed window? EDIT: Doom Eternal; forgot about that. But still there's gotta be more.

First party announcements can probably chill aside from one or two ports for January/February next year, so I don't expect much on that front.

Last edited:

Akita One

Oct 30, 2017
Odyssey hasn't even been out for two years. This is completely disingenuous lol.
Dude calm down lol..."disingenuous"? Why such strong language, unless you know for a fact that 3D World won't get a Switch sequel? It's the sales facts as they are right now. No one is saying there is zero chance of there ever being an Odyssey sequel...geez...

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Dude calm down lol..."disingenuous"? Why such strong language, unless you know for a fact that 3D World won't get a Switch sequel? It's the sales facts as they are right now. No one is saying there is zero chance of there ever being an Odyssey sequel...geez...
I mean you kind of just made his point by dodging the fact that odyssey isn't even 2 years old.

Akita One

Oct 30, 2017
I mean you kind of just made his point by dodging the fact that odyssey isn't even 2 years old.
How did I dodge anything? I didn't negate anything he said, just listed my counterpoints on why I think 3D World would be next. Geez, why are people taking this serious like I personally attacked him? People are so quick to try to "own" someone here.

Sadist

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Holland
Do we really know the third party schedule for beyond September? Into the rest of the year?

Last year, Switch had a pretty jam-packed October/November with bigger third party releases. This year besides Witcher 3, what else is there with a confirmed window? EDIT: Doom Eternal; forgot about that. But still there's gotta be more.

First party announcements can probably chill aside from one or two ports for January/February next year, so I don't expect much on that front.
Well there is Dragon Quest XI

Spyro Reignited, Resident Evil 5, Resident Evil 6, Alien Isolation... thats about it for big names I guess.

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
How did I dodge anything? I didn't negate anything he said, just listed my counterpoints on why I think 3D World would be next. Geez, why are people taking this serious like I personally attacked him?
I think it's people being baffled at what you posted, vs being offended by it. The line you're drawing to sales data doesn't really make sense or support what you are trying to say. Could there be a 3D World sequel? Sure. Is it more likely than any other 3D Mario sequel? No. There's also really nothing to point to the idea that multiplayer would mean better sales for the IP either. At least not in the context of delivering something like 3D World.

Akita One

Oct 30, 2017
I think it's people being baffled at what you posted, vs being offended by it. The line you're drawing to sales data doesn't really make sense or support what you are trying to say. Could there be a 3D World sequel? Sure. Is it more likely than any other 3D Mario sequel? No. There's also really nothing to point to the idea that multiplayer would mean better sales for the IP either. At least not in the context of delivering something like 3D World.
Ok, you are right, I am wrong. Have a nice day.

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017

Since every single insider has retired we don't know what's the future of third party games on Switch. That's why every announcement comes out of nowhere, just like The Outer Wilds did.

I have lots of questions honestly, I'm hoping to find answers soon:
- Is GTA5 that Vern hinted 2 years ago real? What's Take Two's future on Switch?
- Is King Zell's Tomb Raider port real? Will Eidos/SEE ever support Switch?
- LKD hinted that all Dark Souls games are on their way to Switch. Where is the second one?
- What's next for THQ Nordic? They have 3 games for this fall but what will come after that?
- Is Doom Eternal Bethesda's final game on Switch? Are they going to drop Switch as the next gen approaches?
- What else do Paradox have for Switch?
- Square has consolidated their studios, does this mean end for games like Octopath?
- What remasters will Square-enix bring next after FF8/FFCC? Will have have more last gen ports from them? Kingdom Hearts? FF13?
- After RE5-6, what's next for Capcom on Switch? More last gen ports? Will they ever try to bring a current gen game to Switch natively?
- Why are Namco's newer games skipping Switch despite their prequels are on it (Tales, SAO, Dragon Ball etc)? Will we get anything from Namco at all beside Doreamon or Digimon Vita ports?
- Why is Sega's Sakura Wars skipping Switch despite the fact that Valkyria 4 got a day and date port? Do Sega actually have a more serious project for Switch?
- Aside Gods & Monsters Ubisfot's future support looks very barren. What else will they have for Switch? More last gen ports like Ezio Collection & Far Cry 3&4? Will Switch be the first Nintendo console without even a single Tom Clancy game?

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
3D World sold 5 million on a system that only sold 13 million pieces of hardware..only outsold by Mario Kart. 3D Land basically saved the 3DS, and has only been outsold by Pokemon games, a MK game, and barely, by NSMB2...even though it released 8 years ago. And SMO has only slightly outsold it.

A 3D World sequel with multiplayer will do better for sure than a single player sandbox game. It isn't outselling those 3D Marios at the same rate that BOTW is with other Zeldas...people doubt the influence that multiplayer Mario had with the hype for this series. The fact that Odyssey only slightly outsold 3D Land, which is also single player, but didn't have the hot start that the Switch had, is very telling.

This is like the people that couldn't understand why NSMBUD was re-released for the Switch. Local multiplayer Mario is huge.
SMO sold 15M in 1.7 years, and is still selling 500k a quarter. The game will outsell 3d Land's 12.5M by a large margin lifetime.

A similar argument could also tell us that SSB WiiU has a bigger potential than Smash Ultimate because SSB WiiU sold 5.8M on a 13M install base, whereas Smash Ultimate will only fo 25M on an 80-100 million. It's a non-sequitur because software sales don't linearly increase with install base.

stan423321

Oct 25, 2017
The attach ratio argument is not completely without reason if one uses it to say "3D World 2" has potential. It's bad at attacking "Odyssey 2" though, because as much as I am lukewarm on it in comparison to earlier 3D Marios - I don't like the exaggerated nonlinear formula - Odyssey did sell more Switches than 3D World had Wii Us (though Wii U was obviously harder to sell).

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just a small detail, does not explain the absence of Sakura Wars.

I mean the first localized Sakura Wars game was on Wii. Makes absolutely no sense making it PS4 exclusive.
the original dev team didn't do the porting, if I remember correctly, that was NIS. not that I'm giving credit to Sega here, they're setting the game up to fail

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
Since every single insider has retired we don't know what's the future of third party games on Switch. That's why every announcement comes out of nowhere, just like The Outer Wilds did.

- Is GTA5 that Vern hinted 2 years ago real? What's Take Two's future on Switch?
- Is Doom Eternal Bethesda's final game on Switch? Are they going to drop Switch as the next gen approaches?
- After RE5-6, what's next for Capcom on Switch? More last gen ports? Will they ever try to bring a current gen game to Switch natively?
- Aside Gods & Monsters Ubisfot's future support looks very barren. What else will they have for Switch? More last gen ports like Ezio Collection & Far Cry 3&4? Will Switch be the first Nintendo console without even a single Tom Clancy game?
- No; XCOM 3 on Switch?
-Maybe it was at some point, but it certainly is dead now; Never
-I'm thinking Wolfenstein 3 is Bethesda's Switch swan song, and Starfield and TES VI will obviously skip Switch
-Zell's Monster Hunter, MM12, and more legacy ports. I won't give up on MH Switch until after the Game Awards
-Ubisoft has made clear that it will only port specific games to Switch that it believes fits the Nintendo audience. Maybe a Gods and Monsters 2 if Ubisoft decides to turn it into a new franchise, Mario + Rabbids 2, the next South Park RPG

Last edited:

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
the original dev team didn't do the porting, if I remember correctly, that was NIS. not that I'm giving credit to Sega here, they're setting the game up to fail

Port of that game was done by Idea Factory, NIS didn't have a porting studio back then. But the point here is in west, Sakura Wars is known more by Nintendo fans/owners, it only makes sense to port the game to Switch.

I don't understand Sega sometimes, they just said "audience isn't there" for Yakuza games. What audience? Fans of thing related to Japan? Beat em up fans? Who do they think we are, actually? Bunch of 6 year olds? Yeah, it's best not to give Sega any credit, they have been one of the worst when it comes to supporting Switch.

-I'm thinking Wolfenstein 3 is Bethesda's Switch swan song, and Starfield and TES VI will obviously skip Switch

My guess would be their future support would depend on how much Nintendo helps them financially. Games like Skyrim obviously happened with some Nintendo involvement, as they were laughing the idea of Skyrim on Wii U. Would TES6 be impossible on Switch? Considering it will be a cross gen game, it could get a downport for Switch similar to The Witcher. You can downport anything if you got the money and resources for it, I think for Nintendo a TES6 port should be essential for Switch's future.

After all, Skyrim was the second game ever they showed on Switch.

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
Speaking of 3rd parties, I'd really like the most recent/updated versions of FF1&2 to be released on the Switch.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sakura Wars is known more by Nintendo fans/owners, it only makes sense to port the game to Switch.
that's giving the game too much credit, lol. the game cratered.

that being said, aye, they're not doing much to help the game. not only is it one one system, but there's also no dub. say what you want with the styling, but it's be said that lacking full localization limits what a game can do

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Do you think Bully will come to Switch? I never played it when it released, but it looks like a fun game.

This Bully 2 stuff got me intrigued. I'm not expecting Bully 2 to come, but I could see a rerelease of Bully on Switch.

Last edited:

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
Do you think Bully will come to Switch? I never played it when it released, but it looks like a fun game.

This Bully 2 stuff got me intrigued. I'm not expecting Bully 2 to come, but I could see a rerelease of Bully on Switch.

If the people who run Take Two are smart people, it totally could. As of now, they seem like pretty dumb people, not allowing old games like BioShock or Borderlands despite the fact that their creators want the games on Switch.

That being said, i am hopeful. Aonuma name dropping Red Dead 2 could mean something. All the others he mentioned in interviews were released on Switch (Skyrim and The Witcher 3)

Nigel Tufnel

Mar 5, 2019
If the people who run Take Two are smart people, it totally could. As of now, they seem like pretty dumb people, not allowing old games like BioShock or Borderlands despite the fact that their creators want the games on Switch.

That being said, i am hopeful. Aonuma name dropping Red Dead 2 could mean something. All the others he mentioned in interviews were released on Switch (Skyrim and The Witcher 3)
I think it just meant that his team really liked Red Dead.

The quote from the article doesn't really give the sense that there was anything to parse or any ulterior motive or implication.

www.ign.com

Breath of the Wild Sequel Team Drew Inspiration From Red Dead Redemption 2 - E3 2019 - IGN

The younger members of the team working on the Breath of the Wild sequel have notably been inspired by Red Dead Redemption 2.

louisacommie

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
the next linear 3d Mario game should have the controlls of odyssey minus cappy

let me triple jump and dive and spam roll

in platforming focused linear levels

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
I think it just meant that his team really liked Red Dead.

The quote from the article doesn't really give the sense that there was anything to parse or any ulterior motive or implication.

www.ign.com

Breath of the Wild Sequel Team Drew Inspiration From Red Dead Redemption 2 - E3 2019 - IGN

The younger members of the team working on the Breath of the Wild sequel have notably been inspired by Red Dead Redemption 2.

That's not what I meant. I meant there is a coincidence. Before BotW Aonuma said Skyrim and The Witcher 3 was a big influence on their development. Both came out on Switch. It could be after he promoted the games by revealing then being influences for BotW, Nintendo might have reached out to devs and made the ports reality. Skyrim port definitely had some Nintendo involvement (it even had LoZ themed equipment) but we don't know whose idea was The Witcher 3, it could have been funded by Nintendo. Maybe Nintendo could do the same for RDR2?

Nigel Tufnel

Mar 5, 2019
That's not what I meant. I meant there is a coincidence. Before BotW Aonuma said Skyrim and The Witcher 3 was a big influence on their development. Both came out on Switch. It could be after he promoted the games by revealing then being influences for BotW, Nintendo might have reached out to devs and made the ports reality. Skyrim port definitely had some Nintendo involvement (it even had LoZ themed equipment) but we don't know whose idea was The Witcher 3, it could have been funded by Nintendo. Maybe Nintendo could do the same for RDR2?

I don't think there is a connection, and either way I don't think there is any way RDR2 would be playable on Switch in any form that anyone would want to play.

I'm still skeptical of the Witcher 3. I think if Rockstar was bringing an open world game that GTA 5 seems like the most obvious fit, but I'm not sure how well the Switch could integrate into GTA Online.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX

- LKD hinted that all Dark Souls games are on their way to Switch. Where is the second one?
- What's next for THQ Nordic? They have 3 games for this fall but what will come after that?
- Square has consolidated their studios, does this mean end for games like Octopath?
- What remasters will Square-enix bring next after FF8/FFCC? Will have have more last gen ports from them? Kingdom Hearts? FF13?
- Why are Namco's newer games skipping Switch despite their prequels are on it (Tales, SAO, Dragon Ball etc)? Will we get anything from Namco at all beside Doreamon or Digimon Vita ports?
- Why is Sega's Sakura Wars skipping Switch despite the fact that Valkyria 4 got a day and date port? Do Sega actually have a more serious project for Switch?
If I had to guess...
  • Wasn't that port shelved due to cartridge size limitations? I recall one of the rumors stating that.
  • It could have been shelved for all we know.
  • Who knows, maybe in the near future?
  • I'd rather not waste my time giving my thoughts on THQ Nordic.
  • Considering the power gap, it wouldn't surprise me if Bethesda drops the Switch going into next-gen. As impressive as their work has been, they aren't miracle workers.
  • Given how well Octopath Traveler sold on the Switch, I'm not too worried.
  • I'm honestly not sure about Square-Enix.
  • Outside of Mega Man, Ace Attorney, & maybe Monster Hunter, probably more older ports (Ex: DMC2 - 4SE) & legacy collections (Ex: Ace Attorney 4-6) for the following reasons.
    • SFV & MHW are locked to various Sony console exclusive agreements (SFV indefinitely, MHW in just Asia).
    • MvCI is dead & would require Marvel's approval to do the port.
    • The Disney Afternoon Collection would require Disney's approval to do the port.
    • RE7/RE2R/DMC5 would require the RE Engine to support the Switch, which I don't foresee happening this close to next-gen.
    • As mentioned before, I fully expect Capcom to double-down on next-gen for the next batch of fighting games (I.E. PS5/Xbox Scarlett/PC, no Switch)......& pretty much everything else outside of smaller-budget titles like Mega Man & Ace Attorney (as mentioned earlier). We could get a Switch-specific Monster Hunter game, but that's more of a shot in the dark on my part.
  • Your guess is as good as mine regarding Bandai Namco, though I wouldn't be surprised if some of those come out later. Though regarding Tekken 7 & Soul Calibur VI, they don't exactly run very well on the Base PS4 (we're looking at 900p for SCVI & 864p for Tekken 7).
  • Sega doesn't really have a ton of projects in general. Maybe we'll get one last Sonic game out of them for Switch in 2021 before they double-down on next-gen.
  • Given the power gap, I'd imagine that all we'll get from Ubisoft are collaborative endeavors with Nintendo or last-gen ports.

Wander_

Banned
Feb 26, 2018

no Lol. also: mario games eat sales each other, that's why odyssey disappeared from the charts. there are so many other mario games to buy, while for zelda there is just 1.

TheBaldEmperor

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

Seems like the perfect time for a Xenoblade X port. Still a few Wii U games to move over.

DinoPulse

May 25, 2018

Good question. I hope NintendoERA can win back the Nintendo Insiders as some sign of Third Parties caring about the platform would be nice. besides, it feels weird not knowing much of what's going on Direct-wise. Especially since it kinda feels like we scared them off after last year's craziness.

Zippo

Banned
Dec 8, 2017
Good question. I hope NintendoERA can win back the Nintendo Insiders as some sign of Third Parties caring about the platform would be nice. besides, it feels weird not knowing much of what's going on Direct-wise. Especially since it kinda feels like we scared them off after last year's craziness.

The toxicity and entitlement turned off a lot of them here. Also, a big source of inside Nintendo information for the last decade apparently left sometime before E3, which is why there were very few leaks then.

DinoPulse

May 25, 2018
The toxicity and entitlement turned off a lot of them here. Also, a big source of inside Nintendo information for the last decade apparently left sometime before E3, which is why there were very few leaks then.
Darn.... would be nice to know what's going on with Third Parties in regards to the Switch, because it deserves more love! not to mention, the Hype cycle seems more muted for a direct right now. It'd be nice to have a fun Direct Hype Cycle without us getting as unrealistically crazy as we did last year. Would love to actually know what's going on with the Switch beyond just knowing the first party games for the rest of this year. Like the VC offering and such. Given Nintendo's been pretty mum on that front.

@dedmunk

Banned
Oct 11, 2018
If they hold a direct anytime soon it's gotta be 95% games we already know about. I was blind sided by Fire Emblem so much (don't usually like em) that I'm not plannign on picking anything else up for a while. I still have to go back and finish up DQB2 as well.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
If they hold a direct anytime soon it's gotta be 95% games we already know about. I was blind sided by Fire Emblem so much (don't usually like em) that I'm not plannign on picking anything else up for a while. I still have to go back and finish up DQB2 as well.
Depends on if it's september or october. If it's october, there is only lm3 and pokemon left for the year, and then ac 2020. We don't know about botw 2 or bayo 3.

Bard

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Always holding out hope for announcements of more niche franchises from Nintendo, to use the switch's popularity to try to increase the sales of some of these series but I just always end up disappointed.

TreIII

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, MD
-Zell's Monster Hunter, MM12, and more legacy ports. I won't give up on MH Switch until after the Game Awards
As much as I would love to hear about Ichinose and co.'s game as soon as possible, I'm still not sure we'll hear about it this year. My guess is, Capcom is likely going to focus on Iceborne for the rest of this one, and maybe even into Q1 2020 with possible add-on content. After all, for the console crowd, that's going to be it until the start of 6th Gen on the next generation of consoles, so they might as well tie it up nicely.

Come closer to the next Anniversary event and into Q2, though...that's when I think they'll be ready to move on to what's "NEXT" for Switch.

Simba1

Dec 5, 2017
I don't think the SNES addition would amount to a much higher price increase. if anything, I think there'll be 2 tiers of pricing
  • $20 - NES/SNES
  • $50 - NES/SNES/N64/GCN
of course, that's just me being hopeful.

I dont think with SNES games price point will be same
- $20 NES
- $25 NES/SNES
- $30 NES/SNES/GB/GBC...or something similar.

N64 maybe but I think Nintendo would sell GCN games on the eShop individually because they could price them much higher.

Agree, even N64 games could sell very well at $10 per game, GC or Wii games could easily sell for $15-20, so NES, SNES and GB/GBC/DS games like part of online but other system games could easily sell individually.

Eurogamer reported long time ago that GC games are coming to Switch, with mind that GC and Wii hardwares are very similar,
Nintendo could easily do one emulator for GC and Wii games.

Simba1

Dec 5, 2017
no Lol. also: mario games eat sales each other, that's why odyssey disappeared from the charts. there are so many other mario games to buy, while for zelda there is just 1.

At yet Nintendo reeleased NSMBU and Mario Maker 2 with only 6 months difference, and both games are keep selling very well.
And not only that, but multiplayer focused 3D Mario game (Mario 3D World 2) would be very different compared to do Odyssey, and would do great in any case without to much effect on Odyssey sales.

Last edited:

Hercule

Jun 20, 2018
Nintendo released MB U deluxe and Mario Maker 2 in the same year. Despite every YouTuber has made it its life goal to hate on MBU deluxe the game sold and is still selling well.

There isn't any logic in Nintendo releases

Status
Not open for further replies.