• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
I thought Super Paper Mario was kind of a mess in almost every aspect but soundtrack and characters/story.

Level design was boring at best or annoying at worst, the visual design of random shapes was utterly unappealing, and the flipping mechanic meant there was no point to playing any characters besides Mario. I consider it a huge, huge step down from the first two games which are masterpieces. But I've accepted that those style of games are probably dead unless Intelligent Systems and Nintendo suddenly get their act together.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I always feel like there's disdain against fans who just want Paper Mario to be a fucking RPG again. Why do people such an issue with that.
because I never talked about how the fans feel. I'm talking about general reception and sales. Paper Mario isn't some niche series that absolutely needs the harder core fans' dollars. whatever Paper Mario comes next will probably do very well, whether it's Color Splash, Sticker Star 2, or Paper "Mario: the one fans actually want"

Agent Unknown

Oct 26, 2017
What's up with all the Sunshine speculation? Are there any possibly credible hints/rumors out there or is it just feverish Direct Era willing it to happen?

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
as time has gone on I don't like Color Splash's graphics quite as much as I did.

Before, the music and presentation and graphics were the only appealing things about the game lol

But looking back more and more, and comparing to TTYD and stuff,
I feel like taking the aesthetic the way they did may kinda limit the feeling of world-ness of the world. It just feels smaller, and not like a realized worlds in some of the areas.

Not a huge issue of course. If a PM came with CS's same graphics, and fixed everything else back to TTYD levels, it's a 10/10. So yeah, not a big complaint but something I noticed with the graphical direction.

Mad_Rhetoric

Banned
May 7, 2019
Sunshine port would actually get me to buy a switch. Prob just a "Sunshine Kingdom" DLC for Odyssey though, which would still be cool, just not as much.

Raccoon

May 31, 2019

Soul Skater

Oct 25, 2017
It really feels late for Odyssey DLC. like .. it's been two entire years.

I remember when they were making Galaxy 2, it was only supposed to be a remix: or the same game with some new levels. Miyamoto told them to specifically make Galaxy 1.5 but they had so many new ideas they just made a whole new game

Sort of feel like it's possible a sunshine Odyssey DLC went the same way. Initially thought only to add a new world to the game but had so many ideas of what Mario Odyssey would be like in the sunshine world they just made a whole new game as well

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
It doesn't help Mario and Luigi is stale af. People are bored and tired with that series no matter what Metacritic scores tell us. I show that to show how far the series has fallen not to tell you what the sales will be.

Nintendo managed to screw 2 franchises over.

Nintendo could always do more crossovers in M&L games to revitalize the series. They have already done M&L/Paper Mario crossover, anything could be next.

Mario & Luigi vs Wario & Waluigi?
Mario & Luigi in Donkey Kong Country?
Mario & Luigi & Sonic & Tails?
Mario & Luigi in DQ?
Mario & Luigi Visit Disney Worlds a la Kingdom Hearts? Or even Mario & Luigi full KH crossover?

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nintendo could always do more crossovers in M&L games to revitalize the series. They have already done M&L/Paper Mario crossover, anything could be next.

Mario & Luigi vs Wario & Waluigi?
Mario & Luigi in Donkey Kong Country?
Mario & Luigi & Sonic & Tails?
Mario & Luigi in DQ?
Mario & Luigi Visit Disney Worlds a la Kingdom Hearts? Or even Mario & Luigi full KH crossover?
Anything to help the series I'm fine with. I'll take Mario and Luigi Kingdom Hearts.

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I can't say I have any interest in another Mario & Luigi game unless AlphaDream does something new with the series. It feels like they milked it for all its' worth on 3DS and the series just boiled down to "Mario & Luigi + twist" and the twist can either be awesome like Bowser or boring like Dream Luigi.

The Three

Sep 11, 2018
Nintendo posted a picture of Mario enjoying the summer and people are trying to put 2 and fish together

It's also been pointed out that Nintendo's Gamescom booth has had pieces of fruit sitting on the table, somewhat randomly. Not just a few oranges in a bowl, but things like whole watermelons and pineapples.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
It's also been pointed out that Nintendo's Gamescom booth has had pieces of fruit sitting on the table, somewhat randomly. Not just a few oranges in a bowl, but things like whole watermelons and pineapples.

We've been over this one already; those were related to the games being played.

They showed a new floor in Luigi's Mansion 3 with giant watermelons, and Link's Awakening features a pineapple as part of the big trading side-quest.

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
That Mario image is already being over-analyzed by fans I see.

Nintendo does these fun images of the Mario cast all the time. Doing summer Mario isn't anything special when we also have airport Mario renders this year too. I think the Odyssey and Sunshine words in the tweet was just Nintendo being cute.

Vareon

Oct 25, 2017

If you want to take these as hints, you have to analyze all the other things that seemingly lead nowhere. Like why are the plants missing, why is there a telephone on the table, etc. It is a "hint" to things we wanted because we're the ones making connection to it and ignore all other random stuff.

Deleted member 5127

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I can't say I have any interest in another Mario & Luigi game unless AlphaDream does something new with the series. It feels like they milked it for all its' worth on 3DS and the series just boiled down to "Mario & Luigi + twist" and the twist can either be awesome like Bowser or boring like Dream Luigi.

I actually liked the Dream Team one, the Paper Mario crossover was super bland tho, which is ironic because crossovers are supposed to be hype.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Those were very related to the games they were playing. People are really missing the context for those and injecting unrelated conclusions

Handicapped Duck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
May 20, 2018
Ponds
It's that time of the year again. Give us a Monolith Soft or Retro trailer, Nintendo.

74e.jpg
This is missing Yamauchi in the distant ether.

JB2448

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Florida

Odrion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I thought Super Paper Mario was kind of a mess in almost every aspect but soundtrack and characters/story.

Level design was boring at best or annoying at worst, the visual design of random shapes was utterly unappealing, and the flipping mechanic meant there was no point to playing any characters besides Mario. I consider it a huge, huge step down from the first two games which are masterpieces. But I've accepted that those style of games are probably dead unless Intelligent Systems and Nintendo suddenly get their act together.
It felt like one of those Squaresoft games where they stepped out of their comfort zone of RPGs to make something else... A racing game or platformer or whatever... And the result was a very, very, very awkward game.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
It felt like one of those Squaresoft games where they stepped out of their comfort zone of RPGs to make something else... A racing game or platformer or whatever... And the result was a very, very, very awkward game.

That's definitely a really good comparison. It lacked the polish and tight design of the first two Paper Marios completely (even if TTYD fell victim to backtracking fatigue occasionally).

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Backtracking was the worst part for me in the old Paper Mario games. This is something that can be fixed in a modern Paper Mario.

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't own a 3DS, so the reason I skipped recent M&L is more because of that.

So I'm still down for M&L on Switch.
I do think the attacks should cut down on being so long, and cut down on all the text/tutorials.

Regarding Paper Mario:
Get rid of Kamek. Bring back Kammy.

For non-gameplay stuff, having Bowser not talk in a Paper Mario game is #1 worst decision, and getting rid of Kammy completely is #2. (created specifically for Paper Mario and only appears in Paper Mario. Her dynamic w/ Bowser is part of the franchise's early identity)

...so many bad decisions

Sieglinde

Feb 20, 2019
Everyone in this thread talking about Paper Mario are going to look really dumb when the next Intelligent Systems game is actually another Fire Emblem Echoes.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
because I never talked about how the fans feel. I'm talking about general reception and sales. Paper Mario isn't some niche series that absolutely needs the harder core fans' dollars. whatever Paper Mario comes next will probably do very well, whether it's Color Splash, Sticker Star 2, or Paper "Mario: the one fans actually want"

It probably won't do as badly as Color Splash even if sticking with that style, but you can't really blame Color Splash's failure solely on the Wii U's userbase. Thousand Year Door did much better on the GC, which also had a fairly small userbase. Then you also had games like Pokken Tournament and Hyrule Warriors doing significantly better than Color Splash.

Sort of feel like it's possible a sunshine Odyssey DLC went the same way. Initially thought only to add a new world to the game but had so many ideas of what Mario Odyssey would be like in the sunshine world they just made a whole new game as well

Don't forget the art book showed many concepts left behind in production, so they weren't lacking in ideas.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What's the one game or a game form a developer they want to see in the Direct? Like your most ultimate want to see game or game from a developer.

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
What's the one game or a game form a developer they want to see in the Direct? Like your most ultimate want to see game or game from a developer.
you mean plausible...or just anything?

It probably won't do as badly as Color Splash even if sticking with that style, but you can't really blame Color Splash's failure solely on the Wii U's userbase. Thousand Year Door did much better on the GC, which also had a fairly small userbase. Then you also had games like Pokken Tournament and Hyrule Warriors doing significantly better than Color Splash.

CS is a bit harder to gauge because it was the last game Nintendo released for Wii U outside of BOTW. Pokken was 2015 and Hyrule was 2014, so the Wii U was at least a little more active, than in October 2016, when it was beyond dead.

That being said, as you stated and I've argued before, other games managed to be successful, and TTYD, 64 within the same franchise did better. So it's both parts releasing in Oct 2016, but also, the quality and negative reception matter.

Clov

Oct 25, 2017

Impossible answer: F-Zero from RGG Studio. Asides from a pure racing GP mode, could have a story mode with a Kamurocho-esque Mute City overworld. I'm sure they could make it work somehow.

Less impossible answer: Donkey Kong Country Returns 3 from Retro Studios.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Something plausible? Super Mario Odyssey 2. I should be very easy to please.

Something (unfortunately) not plausible? More classic systems beyond the NES and SNES. Kinda cheating, but I just want N64 and GameCube games NINTENDO!

EAD Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Oct 27, 2017
It has to be, and i hope IS has been developing their own engine this time around so they don't have to rely on Koei Tecmo anymore.

I'm not sure that's happening this gen. I mean what's the point when Nintendo produced a successful FE game, and they probably want another one in 2 years.

I'm excited to finally see something..

Clov

Oct 25, 2017
It has to be, and i hope IS has been developing their own engine this time around so they don't have to rely on Koei Tecmo anymore.

Genealogy is a big game, so I wouldn't be surprised if they were working away on that. I think they'll have Koei Tecmo's assistance on the engine at the very least. Seems like a waste to not reuse the foundation that Three Houses has established.

Last edited:

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
Let's go with plausible as in there's a chance nintendo would develop the game or whoever your developer of choice is.
Well, a perfect Paper Mario of course.
you didnt say new game, so seeing a big BOTW2 trailer lol. I think it'll be TGA tho
FFTA3 in the vein of the advance games. Won't happen with the mobile game, etc.

then there's several a slight tier below that I would really like.

Deleted member 1839

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I'd want to see the "flip the action genre on it's head" game that platinum teased last year. I'd also take a straight platinum games direct featuring Astral Chain, Wonderful 101 port, Bayonetta 3 footage and a tease at the next game.

Would definitely be the best direct no doubt.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
I don't see any reason why they wouldn't continue working with Three House's engine, at least for one or two more games. That just seems like a waste of time and resources otherwise.

Sieglinde

Feb 20, 2019
I'm not sure that's happening this gen. I mean what's the point when Nintendo produced a successful FE game, and they probably want another one in 2 years.
Genealogy is a big game, so I wouldn't be surprised if they were working away on that. I think they'll at least have Koei Tecmo's assistance on the engine at the very least. Seems like a waste to not reuse the foundation that Three Houses has established.

Yeah even though i hope i still doubt it, the only scenario i can see it happening is if IS started making a new engine for the Switch after SoV and seeked KT assistance since it wouldn't have been ready for a new FE in the early years of the Switch, still though pretty unlikely and since 3H has been doing great using that as a base for future games seems like the obvious thing to do.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Let's go with plausible as in there's a chance nintendo would develop the game or whoever your developer of choice is.

I guess Intelligent Systems making a true Paper Mario 3.

Much less likely but still hopeful: a new DK game (2D or 3D, preferably 3D) with fully individually playable DK/Diddy/Dixie and K. Rool returning with the Kremlings.

Odyssey 2 will definitely be exciting when/if it happens since I loved the first game but there was room for improvement.

Deleted member 37151

Account closed at user request
Banned
Jan 1, 2018
Wario and Waluigi Treasure Hunt makes far too much sense. Maybe Nintendo think Wario just isn't as bankable as Mario, even if the M&L games are a little stale.

I'd love another silly party game from Nintendo. I was playing Bishi Bashi channel at an arcade yesterday at it was SO MUCH FUN in four player mode. It's a shame that the multi player modes in Wario Ware never quite hit that level of greatness.

I think the Switch Lite really compromises something like this being released soonish, though. I mean, why release a party game that your new console can't play?

Mario Party and 1-2 Switch show that demand is really there for fun party games. I do not for the life of me understand why there aren't more of them. Why there's no Rabbids party game etc.

Clov

Oct 25, 2017
Rather than a Wario and Waluigi game, just give me a new Wario Land. I'd even take Shake It in HD. Those sprites would look amazing on the Switch's screen.

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
anyone developing a new WarioLand should play Cuphead. And basically rip it off

What? No! Warioland is as perfect as it is. Turning it into a simple run n gun would be the worst thing that could happen to the series.

I'd like them to try a 3D for a second time, there are lots of great ideas to be implemented in a 3D Wario game. Like vampire Wario in an open 3D space. There are just too many ongoing 2D Nintendo series (NSMB, Kirby, DK and Yoshi) but just one 3D, so turning Wario a 3D game make better sense than turning Yoshi or Kirby.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
I'd even take Shake It in HD. Those sprites would look amazing on the Switch's screen.
I just hope they have all of the original art assets lying around. I need all of that uncompressed art. Dolphin can only give us a small taste at a HD version

Speaking of art; Good-Feel always includes new content in their ports, so I wonder if they could find a use for some of the scrapped content. I really like this slime enemy.

Status
Not open for further replies.