• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
It's weird that the VGA has become like, a legitimate venue for big announcements. I definitely would have never expected a Smash reveal at one before last year.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
yeah, this is my stance as well. Now that the Game Awards is a better run show and less of a joke, the November/December Directs we used to get have had their megatons moved there. Not to mention Nintendo now has the software to show off. We got botw DLC, MUA3, Smash DLC and some others.

Remember when it started out with the Cranky Kong reveal? Oh, how far we've come since then.
Definitely. It helps the Game Awards isn't a joke show anymore. Many publishers take it serious. I honestly believe Nintendo was one of the earliest companies to really help legitimize it when they showed BotW gameplay at the Game Awards in 2014. Like you said they've shown those and revealed Bayonetta 3 in 2017. The audience is too huge to pass up.

I do remember the Cranky Kong reveal. It was so bad lol. Cranky was already leaked. Then you had Reggie show up with a Samus pin on his collar lol.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's weird that the VGA has become like, a legitimate venue for big announcements. I definitely would have never expected a Smash reveal at one before last year.
at the one before that they shadow dropped champions' ballad for botw and announced bayonetta 1+2 and 3.
pretty much all major publishers show up with something major, and geoff makes sure to get some cool smaller/indie announcements as well. it's really become a very fun show for game fans. his gamescom show tho, not very good. but it was the first year, so maybe that can be as big as TGA in a few years.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ok this is a question that might seem obvious, but:

Do you think Halo on Switch would have crossplay with Xbox?

I mean you would think yes, but would they go the distance and add gyro to the switch port? Does MCC have gyro on Xbox? Would MCC come to switch or just piecemeal?

I would assume it would have crossover. Nintendo and Microsoft are good about that with other games and Minecraft. I think it would be piecemeal.

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
I feel like we won't hear about SMTV until after P5R AND TMSFE encore are out. It seems like the 2020 Feb/Mar Direct would be the best place to finally reveal it and give a release window (probably late summer or December).
They won't wait on the western release of P5R to talk about SMTV, nor TMSFE, which is basically just a port.
As said earlier, there's no reason for them to wait on a Direct to talk about that game anyway.

Sadist

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Holland
Vern said Halo is coming to Switch. I'm surprised more people don't talk about this.
Wait what

You have a link to that post? I have no interest in Halo, but the sheer bizarreness would break the internet.

Edit; nvm, found it. Oh man.

You know, I expect Nintendo to continue to have these unexpected announcements of sequels to "cult following" 3rd party franchises like with Deadly Premonition and Marvel Ultimate Alliance.

I wouldn't be surprised to one day see a Bloody Roar sequel or something along those lines announced at a Direct.
While I digged Nintendo's announcements during the last Direct (Xenoblade Definitive Edition!!) the announcement of Deadly Premonition 2 was legit my favourite of the bunch. Of all the games to receive sequels, that's the one I did not expect at all.

I hope Nintendo continues this trend of out of the blue announcements; Especially during the last few years, we have received more weird crossovers or unexpected games and that's the reason why I love Nintendo's portfolio of releases as well. I also like that Nintendo, when looking for games to bolster their line-up with, always get something outside of their comfort zone or just plain weird.

Eternal Darkness, Resident Evil REmake, Zero and 4, Baten Kaitos (Origins), Fatal Frame/Project Zero, Tokyo Mirage Sessions, Bayonetta 2 + 3 and more. Hope they will continue this streak.

Last edited:

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
I kinda feel like if Banjo on Switch was in the cards it would have been announced in the last Direct. Maybe later it could happen but I don't think there are any plans for it right now.

Honestly I think part of the problem there is that Microsoft never actually ported the Banjo XBLA remasters anywhere beyond Xbox 360. Rare Replay on XBone just uses special 360 emulation for BK and BT, and the rest of Rare's 360 games.

In the end, regardless of Banjo's popularity with Nintendo fans, if Microsoft didn't think it was worth the effort actually porting BK/BT to Xbone and as well as PC, then really, a Switch version of those games was always a huge stretch.

I feel like Banjo and a few other N64 Rare games in their original, unaltered states being available on an N64 Online catalog would be a more likely outcome, if anything.

T002 Tyrant

Nov 8, 2018
Anyone hoping for one last major direct byend of October/November? Or is it a long wait until January/February/March.

I was kidna hoping for a Mario 3D World Deluxe to be announced for January/February next year.

MaitreWakou

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 15, 2018
Toulouse, France
Anyone hoping for one last major direct byend of October/November? Or is it a long wait until January/February/March.

I was kidna hoping for a Mario 3D World Deluxe to be announced for January/February next year.
They already announced TMS for february. They won't release another Wii U port the same month, and they won't announce a Mario port for a month earlier when they haven't announced it in the september direct.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
They already announced TMS for february. They won't release another Wii U port the same month, and they won't announce a Mario port for a month earlier when they haven't announced it in the september direct.
TMS is January, not February.

I see only one direct left for the year and that's pokemon
Does another Smash presentation count as a Direct? Because we'll definitely get one of those.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
I think the release schedule for the rest of the fiscal year (until 31 March 2020) is completely known. I think new first-party announcements will all release in April or later.
I wouldn't write off the potential of another eShop title being revealed and released within the fiscal year (unless you're just talking retail releases), probably after the first Direct of 2020. Both the February and September Directs this year had shadowdrop first-party releases.

DarkDetective

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
I wouldn't write off the potential of another eShop title being revealed and released within the fiscal year (unless you're just talking retail releases), probably after the first Direct of 2020. Both the February and September Directs this year had shadowdrop first-party releases.
Yeah, a smaller digital-only release is still possible of course. Or perhaps something like a new Picross 3D game that could potentially have a retail release in some regions.

Sadist

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Holland
I'm expecting the last Smash character to be announced at the VGA's, seeing as the Joker announcement was met with a lot enthousiasm last year. If they do, it needs to be a big reveal.

And maybe one more announcement of Nintendo themselves, but that will be it till February 2020.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Idc for another Smash reveal at Game Awards. I really hope that's not the plan. We had that last year already. Just announce them in a video with Terri.

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
The last Smash Fighter Pass character will likely be announced in November with Terry.
That doesn't mean they can't announce the next one at TGA though (nor that it would be the only announcement there).

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I hope a KH Collection gets announced for Switch at the Game Awards. I know it's probably not the best place to announce it, but I just want to hear it's coming sooner lol.

Pokémon

Oct 27, 2017
I am fine with a Smash character reveal at TGA as long as it's not the "main dish" of the evening because that place belongs to BotW 2.

Archduke Kong

Feb 2, 2019
I kinda feel like if Banjo on Switch was in the cards it would have been announced in the last Direct. Maybe later it could happen but I don't think there are any plans for it right now.

I agree, I feel like hype wise the best time to sell it would have been when all eyes were on Banjo again. Obviously it would still be a major announcement, so they could do it whenever they want, but if it was in the works before September, I think we'd have gotten a hint and not Sakurai saying "go play it on Xbox".

Then again there's always the naive skeptic in me who thinks there's the possibility it needed some extra time or something. I imagine they'd be using the Xbox Live Arcade version, maybe it isn't as compatible as they thought it would be.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I am fine with a Smash character reveal at TGA as long as it's not the "main dish" of the evening because that place belongs to BotW 2.
Yeah Smash reveal with Joker was the big thing last year. I expect at least 2 announcements from Nintendo because that's what they've been doing.

Smash character and BotW 2
Smash character and Bayonetta 3
Bayonetta 3 and BotW 2
Smash and a new Nintendo game

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
There's definitely a lot lol. I think Kingdom Hearts is next. We need Chrono Trigger and the early FF games too.

Star Ocean is better candidate as their next remaster compilation. The first one is already coming December but I expect HD versions of 2-3-4 to be released early next year. And maybe a remastered Dawn of Mana too.

I'm not sure about Kingdom Hearts. Didn't NateDrake or someone said there will be no KH games on Switch for a foreseeable time?

AllEchse

Oct 29, 2017
There's definitely a lot lol. I think Kingdom Hearts is next. We need Chrono Trigger and the early FF games too.
Looking at how the PC Port turned put I kind of don't really want Chrono Trigger.
It was patched and is better now sure, but just better is not enough for a game like this.
If they port it will most likely be based on that version.

Deleted member 51691

Banned
Jan 6, 2019
Ok this is a question that might seem obvious, but:

Do you think Halo on Switch would have crossplay with Xbox?

I mean you would think yes, but would they go the distance and add gyro to the switch port? Does MCC have gyro on Xbox? Would MCC come to switch or just piecemeal?
Depends if Microsoft brings over the whole package or just the campaigns. And if they bring the multiplayer, will it be the MCC's playlist system or each original game's separate multiplayer mode?

klier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Make next year the year of Halo.

Halo(s) on the Nintendo Switch.
Halo MCC on the PC.
Halo Infinite on the XBOX One and Scarlet.

Beautiful.

And Master Chief in Smash! Or is he in already? I don't quite follow that game...

yeah, this is my stance as well. Now that the Game Awards is a better run show and less of a joke, the November/December Directs we used to get have had their megatons moved there. Not to mention Nintendo now has the software to show off. We got botw DLC, MUA3, Smash DLC and some others.

Remember when it started out with the Cranky Kong reveal? Oh, how far we've come since then.

Didn't Nintendo show BOTW at the Game Awards first? Would be nice to see the sequel's first gameplay here too!

Brenal

Nov 5, 2017
Star Ocean is better candidate as their next remaster compilation. The first one is already coming December but I expect HD versions of 2-3-4 to be released early next year. And maybe a remastered Dawn of Mana too.

I'm not sure about Kingdom Hearts. Didn't NateDrake or someone said there will be no KH games on Switch for a foreseeable time?
If i remember correctly acording to a source nintendo approched square after the release of KH3 to see the posibility of a port square said it was probably not viable, but the HD collection could be, so thats why it would take time assuming work on those ports started around that time, but to me it makes sense im assuming they will handle it like they handled the FF ports, PS only first and then Xbox and Switch versions releasing later at thr same time.

HockeyBird

Oct 27, 2017
"We'll give you a Breath of The Wild sequel trailer for you little award show, Geoff. But in return, a Nintendo game has to be rewarded the game of the year".

"Doug, it is up to the voters to decide who will know doubt award it to my best friend Hideo Kojima for Death Strandings. Reggie would never make such demands".

"Do you know what my last name is Geoffrey? I am not Reggie. Now make it happen or you'll find Kojima in another castle".

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
I don't think we will get another Smash reveal at VGA. Joker was a matter of timing since it allowed them to advertise Smash one more time on release night while also announce the first Fighters Pass character before the end of the fiscal year. BOTW2 and Bayo 3 trailers both seem more likely.

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
If i remember correctly acording to a source nintendo approched square after the release of KH3 to see the posibility of a port square said it was probably not viable, but the HD collection could be, so thats why it would take time assuming work on those ports started around that time, but to me it makes sense im assuming they will handle it like they handled the FF ports, PS only first and then Xbox and Switch versions releasing later at thr same time.

Man, too many conflicting rumors...

But I'd be super surprised if KH HD on Switch turns out to be real. I believe Sony has some sort of exclusivity over the first game but that doesn't mean this can't be sorted out. Yet I still think we won't get classic KH games on Switch. FF13 Trilogy is more believable.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't think we will get another Smash reveal at VGA. Joker was a matter of timing since it allowed them to advertise Smash one more time on release night while also announce the first Fighters Pass character before the end of the fiscal year. BOTW2 and Bayo 3 trailers both seem more likely.
I don't think we'll get a Smash character reveal either. I think it'll be Bayonetta 3 and BotW 2 if it's coming in 2020, if not then Bayonetta 3 and a brand new game.

Akki

Oct 31, 2017
Nintendo won´t show BOTW 2 at the game awards unless its coming in the first half of 2020.

They have a clear pattern how they announce their big "AAA"-games and reveal more stuff later on.

1.) They tend to announce the game and show barely any gameplay
2.) They reveal the hook of the game, what makes it special and different from the previous games
3.) They announce more cool stuff

Mario Odyssey:
1.) Announcement at the Switch reveal event: Just a short trailer; hiding the hat-mechanic
2.) E3 Direct 2018: Revealing the hat throw mechanic as the major hook for the game; game is playable for the first time
3.) September Direct 2017: Final trailer with new mechanics

Smash:
1.) March Direct 2018: CGI-Trailer announcement, Inklinks revealed as a new charatercs, no gameplay
2.) E3 Direct 2018: "Everyone is here"-Trailer; Gameplay for the time, playable at the event;
3.) Smash Directs: Shit more stuff

Zelda BOTW:
1.) E3 Direct 2014: Announcement, no gameplay
2.) Game awards 2014
3.) E3 Direct 2016: Basic gameplay; shiekah-tablet
4.) Switch reveal event: "Story"-trailer

The showing of botw at the game awards 2014 is a small deviation but i guess they were desperate to sell WiiU´s and the holiday 2014 was their last chance to turn the WiiU around. I don´t think they revealed anyhing major there.

Luigis Mansion:
1.) September Direct 2018: Announcement, short trailer
2.) E3 Direct 2019: Long trailer, new mechanics explained
3.) September Direct 2019: More themes

Animal Crossing:
1.) September Direct 2018: Announcement, no gameplay or graphics
2.) E3 Direct 2019: Long trailer, new mechanics explained
3.) September Direct 2019: I took a bathroom break, i guess they showed off the same stuff?

Mario Maker 2:
1.) Skipped the first step and showed immediately new stuff
2.) Mario Maker 2 Direct: Focus on the story mode and new mechanics

What I´m trying to say, if they show a BOTW 2 trailer at the game awards, then they need to go all out and show the exciting stuff, what makes the game special and different from the first game. That´s just not going to happen if they want to release the game in November 2020.

Last edited:

Deleted member 41183

Banned
Mar 18, 2018

I agree; I think the final character is being targeted to be out by Christmas and TGA would be too late for an announcement in that case.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
I agree; I think the final character is being targeted to be out by Christmas and TGA would be too late for an announcement in that case.

Nah, I don't think they'll have them out by Christmas, Terry still is due for a November release and the stated goal was to have all fighters out by February. I think fighter 5 will be out by mid-late January.

Deleted member 41183

Banned
Mar 18, 2018
Nah, I don't think they'll have them out by Christmas, Terry still is due for a November release and the stated goal was to have all fighters out by February. I think fighter 5 will be out by mid-late January.

Terry 1st week of November, Fighter5 week before Christmas (which'd be about the time gap between Hero and Banjo) and that'd still fit with everyone being out by February. ;)

I'm pretty sure saying Feb 2020 was allowing for delays and probably before Nintendo approved another round of DLC.

Status
Not open for further replies.