• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
i now expect a new picross 3D game to be announced in the jan/feb direct and will be tremendously disappointed if it doesn't happen.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
imagine this:
TGA 2019
lady gaga comes on stage
introduces the first proper trailer for bayonetta 3, including the theme song by none other than herself

can geoff pull that off? can the game awards afford the appearance fee of academy award winner Stefani Joanne Angelina Germanotta?
This would be a dream for me

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Their game was cancelled. Some kind of RPG involving singing as the main mechanic. Spent three years on it, but could never figure out where to go with it. Nintendo got frustrated and pulled the plug and put them on Prime 4.
Oh wow the first real insider info. I figured it was a new IP. That sucks they couldn't figure it out. Singing was the main mechanic though? Sounds interesting...

That lines up with one of their members on LinkedIn profile who said he worked on a game for several years before moving on to another game. Do you know what the second game is and if it's still alive?

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This sucks so much. Everything lead me to believe Retro was trying their own thing and Nintendo let them do it and they couldn't create a new IP on their own. That sucks.

Skies

Oct 25, 2017
Their game was cancelled. Some kind of RPG involving singing as the main mechanic. Spent three years on it, but could never figure out where to go with it. Nintendo got frustrated and pulled the plug and put them on Prime 4.

All those crazy speculations threads, and you just... dropped the bomb.. on a random Sunday.

Procheno

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 14, 2018
But something doesn't add up because the gap between December 2013 and late 2018/January 2019 isn't 3 years. That's 5 years? Wasn't it rumored that they drop a game back in 2016 (which would add up to the 3 years part)? That would mean they would have had to have done something since 2016 -late 2018

Jul 25, 2018
Austin, TX
I live in Austin, and know people from an animation studio who know the Retro people. Was told this over a few beers. As far as I know, there is no second game. Just Prime 4. I would think concept art will come out at some point. The singing mechanic involved using songs to manipulate the environment.

Deleted member 51691

Banned
Jan 6, 2019
But something doesn't add up because the gap between December 2013 and late 2018/January 2019 isn't 3 years. That's 5 years? Wasn't it rumored that they drop a game back in 2016 (which would add up to the 3 years part)? That would mean they would have had to have done something since 2016 -late 2018
Both gaps are about three years. The singing RPG is probably one of the two cancelled Retro Studios projects. I hope Schreier is able to uncover all of what Retro did between Tropical Freeze and MP4.

Edit: Nvm then.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I live in Austin, and know people from an animation studio who know the Retro people. Was told this over a few beers. As far as I know, there is no second game. Just Prime 4. I would think concept art will come out at some point. The singing mechanic involved using songs to manipulate the environment.
Tbh I'm not sure how I feel about this "singing mechanic" to manipulate environments. I guess it would've have to be something I saw to see if I liked. Kind of like Wind Waker you can change the direction of the wind. If it's short bit tunes like that or how. It's probably something we'll never know the details about.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
music to manipulate the environment?

2Y4ul2.gif

couldn't be this bad at least

Deleted member 51691

Banned
Jan 6, 2019
This would be the second cancelled IP with music as a main mechanic. Using music as a gameplay mechanic seems hard to execute. Wandersong did it well imo, but that game had a relatively small scope. I'd imagine that the singing mechanics were extremely hard to execute on a AAA level.
One of Rhapsody's proposed mechanics had involved musical cues. Part of the main character's backstory involved the piano that his parents had bought for him as a child, and one core idea was that the game's "detective mode" would be triggered by listening to music. At some point, according to everyone I spoke to who was there, Hangar 13's management decided to extract that idea and make it the focus of their game.

Suddenly, Rhapsody would be an action game fueled by music. Maybe instead of being set in Berlin, it'd be in San Francisco. And maybe instead of playing as a spy, you'd be a superhero. "The concept was using music as a weapon," said one person on the game. "You could use music to inspire you, channel it into weird effects."

One person brought up an example that was bounced around at the studio: You'd be listening to, say, Survivor's "Eye of the Tiger." Press buttons on the controller at the right time, and you'd summon an actual tiger to help you in a fight. Another idea, described to me by a different person on the team, involved taking riffs and song stems from a variety of tracks and combining them all to create different abilities. Hangar 13's leadership had loved the audio style of Mafia III and wanted a game that was all about music, from Metallica to Miley Cyrus.
kotaku.com

How The Makers Of Mafia III Lost Their Way

In mid-2016, a few months before the release of their first game, Mafia III, the developers at Hangar 13 in Novato, California gathered for an all-hands meeting. There, according to two people in attendance, Christoph Hartmann, president of the game’s publisher, 2K, told employees that their...
music to manipulate the environment?

2Y4ul2.gif

couldn't be this bad at least
That actually looks so bad it's good though

Last edited:

AzVal

May 7, 2018
So.. I been out of the loop, where do we stand?, a Direct on Wednesday would be wonderful as I got to start working on Thursday.
Who leaked what?, how are we calling this leak?, a year ago it was the Grinch. what are we betting? Please link me in, I dont see threadmarks!

Deleted member 51691

Banned
Jan 6, 2019
So.. I been out of the loop, where do we stand?, a Direct on Wednesday would be wonderful as I got to start working on Thursday.
Who leaked what?, how are we calling this leak?, a year ago it was the Grinch. what are we betting? Please link me in, I dont see threadmarks!
No more Direct for this year. Terry could drop any time, the 7-11 stuff doesn't mean anything. Someone from Austin made some claims about Retro's cancelled pre-MP4 project. I checked through their post history, and I doubt they're trying to troll.
considering it's lineage, it was an affront to god

mediocre as fuck at best otherwise
Which franchise is it from

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think there's still a second game, but they might've not known about it since they wouldn't want to talk about active games they were working on with outsiders.

Procheno

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 14, 2018
Singing.... Thank god it wasn't revealed. I couldn't imagine Retro spending all that time only for the reveal to be some singing game

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I hate to say it, but there's a reason nintendo usually has a heavy hand when it comes to development. So far Retro has worked with IP's Nintendo created and you hear this singing idea and it doesn't sound so good. This is with Nintendo letting them do what they want. Now they're back to Metroid Prime 4.

At least Next Level Games came up with a new IP in Mario Strikers, which was great.

laziboi

Alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2019
Your Anus
I hate to say it, but there's a reason nintendo usually has a heavy hand when it comes to development. So far Retro has worked with IP's Nintendo created and you hear this singing idea and it doesn't sound so good. This is with Nintendo letting them do what they want. Now they're back to Metroid Prime 4.

If the idea can be made fun, Nintendo has no problems with letting one of their partners venture off on their own like Grezzo with Ever Oasis or Intelligent Systems with Codename STEAM or Pushmo. Nintendo tends to cancel or pass on games that the developers struggle to turn into an engaging and fun concept. This sounds like this was the case. Retro came up with a fun idea Nintendo liked, but they spent years struggling to turn it into something people would actually want to play.

I imagine this is also why they turned down a lot of the concepts MonolithSoft presented them, there didn't really seem to be a way to make them fun. It's also why Project HAMMER was cancelled as the developers couldn't settle on a way to make the game fun (That, and the incompetent management at the studio).

Momo

Oct 25, 2017
Next Level Games should make a new DK game, honestly. They're capable enough to handle a new entry in the DK series.

Clov

Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo should have never let Monster Games go, they could have easily made the final entry in the Returns trilogy considering how much they contributed to previous releases.

Monster Games wanted to leave, so they could work on Nascar games. They probably wouldn't have wanted to work on DK.

Also, I don't know why everyone seems to believe this whole singing thing. Seems sketchy to me.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Monster Games wanted to leave, so they could work on Nascar games. They probably wouldn't have wanted to work on DK.

Also, I don't know why everyone seems to believe this whole singing thing. Seems sketchy to me.
It doesn't seem sketchy. Someone from Austin with only 11 posts makes it more believable

Clov

Oct 25, 2017
That would most certainly be released on Switch 2. NLG are not really a quick studio.

I think they could still manage one more late Switch release.

It doesn't seem sketchy. Someone from Austin with only 11 posts makes it more believable

This doesn't make it believable at all. Anyone can make an account and say they're from Austin. More importantly, it doesn't even matter if they're from Austin or not! Just because someone's from the same city as Retro doesn't give them inside info on them.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Who's this? Fun speculation

Nintendo Switch Lineup for the first half of 2020 will be
- Brain Training Switch
- Tokyo Mirage Sessions
- Metroid Prime Trilogy HD
- Animal Crossing New Horizons
- New Style Boutique 4 (probably renamed for Nintendo Switch)
- Pikmin 3 Deluxe
- Xenoblade Chronicles D.E

A New Donkey Kong Country will be one of the bigger games for Nintendo Switch next year. This time Retro Studios is not behind.

And Finally there is also another Metroid game that is coming late in 2020, a 2D Metroid. The plan is to make this franchise relevant again and secure good sales for Metroid Prime 4 (2021 at the earliest) releasing this and Prime Trilogy HD next year.

If you wonder what's going to happen to the Starfox franchise, if Captain Toad is gonna have a sequel, where is Wario Ware or what's next itineration on the Kirby's franchise...ask me after E3 2020.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.