• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
My expectations for next year :

1st half

- Brain Age
- Tokyo Mirage Session Encore #FE
- an eShop game (maybe NSO exclusive)
- Animal Crossing new Horizons
- Pikmin 3
- Metroid Prime Trilogy
- Bayonetta 3
- Xenoblade Chronicle

2nd half

- 3D Zelda WiiU port(s)
- Super Mario Odyssey 2
- 2D Metroid
- Detective Pikachu
- Paper Mario
- WarioWare OR Super Mario Party 2
- Breath of the Wild 2

Something like that

Yeah this sounds like overkill. Two Zelda games AND two Metroid games in one year? Nintendo just recently said they want to Switch to live longer. Save some of those for later.

Also tight schedule with heavy hitters like that would destroy any chances of third party games to sell any good. When a month has a Mario or Zelda game, that month belongs to that game, any other release is confirmed failure (poor Elite Beat Agents...).

And finally don't forget Switch is currently sitting on 42m hardware sold. People interested in Nintendo franchises already got their Switch. From now on selling Switch to non-Nintendo crowd, casuals and core gamers alike. You need to add some more Nintendo published games like Astral Chain, Marvel UA3 AND casual stuff like RingFit to your list.

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
Do we have numbers for the several September games that launched adjacent to Link's Awakening?

We only had Daemon's Japanese numbers and it was dropped from top ten after Zelda released. Sold 36k total and that's a little low for a high budget game. I don't think it performed better outside of Japan.

But we also know Spyro was a success, it was very high on Switch bestsellers list on eShop.

Raccoon

May 31, 2019
We only had Daemon's Japanese numbers and it was dropped from top ten after Zelda released. Sold 36k total and that's a little low for a high budget game. I don't think it performed better outside of Japan.

But we also know Spyro was a success, it was very high on Switch bestsellers list on eShop.
Moral of the story is probably that a Zelda release isn't a death sentence necessarily, but it is a hit?

Also when TF are we gonna see more Animal Crossing, I can't wait until fucken January

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My expectations for next year :

1st half

- Brain Age
- Tokyo Mirage Session Encore #FE
- an eShop game (maybe NSO exclusive)
- Animal Crossing new Horizons
- Pikmin 3
- Metroid Prime Trilogy
- Bayonetta 3
- Xenoblade Chronicle

2nd half

- 3D Zelda WiiU port(s)
- Super Mario Odyssey 2
- 2D Metroid
- Detective Pikachu
- Paper Mario
- WarioWare OR Super Mario Party 2
- Breath of the Wild 2

Something like that

Mine would be

1st half

• Brain Age
  • Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE Encore
  • Animal Crossing New Horizons
  • Pikmin 3 Deluxe
  • small eShop game
  • Super Mario 3D World
  • Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive Edition
  • Mario Golf
2nd half
  • 2D Metroid
  • No More Heroes 3
  • Bayonetta 3
  • new IP
  • Paper Mario RPG or Mario + Rabbids 2
  • Super Mario Party 2
  • Zelda BotW 2

I'm going to add a chance of Monolith Soft's new IP or Diamond and Pearl remakes. I feel like this is insane, but this is what combining teams is all about, right? lol

Last edited:

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Mine would be

1st half

• Brain Age
  • Pikmin 3 Deluxe
  • small eShop game
  • Mario Golf
2nd half
  • 2D Metroid
  • Bayonetta 3
  • new IP
  • Super Mario Party 2
  • Monolith Soft's new IP
  • Zelda BotW 2
You've given up on 3D Mario entirely for next year? Not even a 3D World port?

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
y'all putting these lists up and not including nintendo switch exclusive killer apps Deadly Premonition 2 and Shin Megami Tensei 5....

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
Moral of the story is probably that a Zelda release isn't a death sentence necessarily, but it is a hit?

Tbh, there were 23 days between Zelda and Spyro. Twilight Princess and EBA were released on same fucking day.

y'all putting these lists up and not including nintendo switch exclusive killer apps Deadly Premonition 2 and Shin Megami Tensei 5....

This thread is strangely focused on Nintendo owned games. Not even second party, just in house stuff. I've never seen someone predicted a Kirby game, despite a full release next year is a big possibility.

laziboi

Alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2019
Your Anus
Don't you think they'll port 3D World at least next year?

Maybe, maybe not. If they are going to make a new 3D Mario on the Switch, then I imagine they're going to want to do something completely different from Odyssey. A spiritual sequel to 3D World with a new style, format, and mechanics could be the most likely candidate. If not 3D Mario, then it's Captain Toad 2 and a New IP.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Tbh, there were 23 days between Zelda and Spyro. Twilight Princess and EBA were released on same fucking day.

This thread is strangely focused on Nintendo owned games. Not even second party, just in house stuff. I've never seen someone predicted a Kirby game, despite a full release next year is a big possibility.
What's a second party game? Also, didn't Kirby just release last month or 2?

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Maybe, maybe not. If they are going to make a new 3D Mario on the Switch, then I imagine they're going to want to do something completely different from Odyssey. A spiritual sequel to 3D World with a new style, format, and mechanics could be the most likely candidate. If not 3D Mario, then it's Captain Toad 2 and a New IP.
We'll see. I think they'll go with Odyssey 2 and Captain Toad 2 or a new IP.

NuclearCake

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Don't you think they'll port 3D World at least next year?

Think they would have ported 3D World by now. They must have been working on something since Odyssey. Chances are far higher that we get a new game instead of a port. Think Nintendo realizes that they don't have to port every single Wii U game to the Switch when they can save some of the ports for a future platform.

vedrua

Oct 26, 2019
I often read about WW HD, (and a bit about TP HD or MM/OoF HD), but we never actually got a chance to play Skyward Sword in HD and the Switch is doing fine with motion controls.

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
There's no such thing as second party. It's either first or third.

What? Kirby is owned by HAL, not Nintendo. I know this because when asked, Jakks Pacific said they can't make Kirby toys because their Nintendo license doesn't include Kirby as it's not owned by Nintendo. They need to buy the license directly from HAL (they didn't).

Nintendo does not own HAL or Kirby. But they have agreement, Nintendo funds and published their games. That's called second party and it exists.

What's a second party game? Also, didn't Kirby just release last month or 2?

The franchise has become annual. A big game every other year and a smaller one between. The recent one was the smaller one.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Think they would have ported 3D World by now. They must have been working on something since Odyssey. Chances are far higher that we get a new game instead of a port. Think Nintendo realizes that they don't have to port every single Wii U game to the Switch when they can save some of the ports for a future platform.
I would've figured 3D World is one of the ones they'd want to get it out on Switch, but I still think they can at the end of the life cycle.

laziboi

Alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2019
Your Anus
What? Kirby is owned by HAL, not Nintendo. I know this because when asked, Jakks Pacific said they can't make Kirby toys because their Nintendo license doesn't include Kirby as it's not owned by Nintendo. They need to buy the license directly from HAL (they didn't).

Nintendo owns half of the Kirby IP, HAL owns the other half. Regardless of if its jointly owned, HAL can't do anything with Kirby unless Nintendo approves, and vice versa. It's still first party, just a different kind of First party. Same with several other first party IP from Nintendo like Fire Emblem and Pokemon, Nintendo owns the IP, but so do the developers.

Raccoon

May 31, 2019
Second party is kind of a silly distinction to make in the tech world. There's first party software, published by the company that made the hardware, and third party software, being everything else. It's too vague and arbitrary to be useful

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nobody uses the term second party. It's either first party or third party. You can have contracts for third party companies to make first party or third party games exclusive to you.

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
Mine would be

1st half

• World of Warcraft 2: Starcraft 3
  • Half Life 3
  • Tennis for Two 2
  • Spacewar! 2
  • Barbie's Horse Adventures Definitive Edition
  • Dave Ramsey's Guide to Financial Peace: The Game
  • Mario Basketball
2nd half

• F-Zero 0
  • Yoshi X Toad
  • Pokemon Snap 2
  • Pokemon Diamond/Pearl Remakes
  • Captain Crunch's Crunchling Adventure 2
  • From Software Switch Exclusive: Lost Kingdom 3
  • Zelda BotW 2

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
Nintendo owns half of the Kirby IP, HAL owns the other half. Regardless of if its jointly owned, HAL can't do anything with Kirby unless Nintendo approves, and vice versa. It's still first party, just a different kind of First party. Same with several other first party IP from Nintendo like Fire Emblem and Pokemon, Nintendo owns the IP, but so do the developers.

Yeah, I checked, Nintendo does own a chunk of Kirby IP. I think this is similar to Destiny for Activision or Gears for Microsoft. Gears is also owned both by Epic and MS, it's not full MS franchise like Halo or Forza.

But it's also bad, that makes Kirby a not part of Nintendo World franchises. You won't get happy meal toys or there won't be a Kirby ride at Universal.

Don't forget Kirby wasn't a part of Nintendo Land on Wii U.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I checked, Nintendo does own a chunk of Kirby IP. I think this is similar to Destiny for Activision or Gears for Microsoft. Gears is also owned both by Epic and MS, it's not full MS franchise like Halo or Forza.

But it's also bad, that makes Kirby a not part of Nintendo World franchises. You won't get happy meal toys or there won't be a Kirby ride at Universal.

Many franchises weren't part of Nintendo Land.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

no, Destiny was never owned by Activision, and MS bought Gears from Epic

Kirby isn't a part of licensing because there's a separate company that manages the brand, Warpstar. but Kirby toys are available and sorted with Nintendo's stuff. Jakks just was unlucky

RPGamer92

Oct 25, 2017
Mine would be

1st half

• World of Warcraft 2: Starcraft 3
  • Half Life 3
  • Tennis for Two 2
  • Spacewar! 2
  • Barbie's Horse Adventures Definitive Edition
  • Dave Ramsey's Guide to Financial Peace: The Game
  • Mario Basketball
2nd half

• F-Zero 0
  • Yoshi X Toad
  • Pokemon Snap 2
  • Pokemon Diamond/Pearl Remakes
  • Captain Crunch's Crunchling Adventure 2
  • From Software Switch Exclusive: Lost Kingdom 3
  • Zelda BotW 2
Your list is missing Labo: Master all Languages, Music Instruments, and Cooking Instantly Edition

Raccoon

May 31, 2019
A grammatical way of thinking about it. First party is I. I (being said from Nintendo or whomever's perspective) made this game. Third party is they. They made this game. Second party is... you? Who is you?? The consumer, maybe?? Perhaps we should consider all of the games made in Dreams second party exclusives Dark Cloud

AllEchse

Oct 29, 2017
Some people call companies close to a console manufacturer that only produce for that console second party, but in reality that's not how to use that word.
Just like a second person game would be a game where you see through the eyes of the enemy, the second party would be the other party involved, so as Nintendo is the first party making the console and putting their games on it and third parties are all the others putting their games on the console, the second party would indeed be the consumer, the one playing the games.
So I guess a second party game would be one you make yourself.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
A grammatical way of thinking about it. First party is I. I (being said from Nintendo or whomever's perspective) made this game. Third party is they. They made this game. Second party is... you? Who is you?? The consumer, maybe?? Perhaps we should consider all of the games made in Dreams second party exclusives Dark Cloud
This is why I didn't put Metroid Prime Trilogy as a first party game for next year. We're going to make it happen through Dreams.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty easy to know that tweet's bunk when they allege that a 3DS remake of FE6+7 combined was in the works. Such a project, while a cool hypothetical, would be gargantuan—bigger in practice than Three Houses, which already had to make concessions all over the place.

And honestly, Imran's reliable and all, but I still have strong doubts that another 3DS Fire Emblem was in the works. Shadows of Valentia was explicitly said to be their last planned 3DS entry, a stopgap until Switch development could start.

All that said, another 'Echoes' remake is obviously likely to happen. Either FE4 or FE6, but there's no way a combined 6+7. At best they'll do consecutive, connective Echoes entries for 6 and 7, which is why I think 4 (and 5) would logically come first.

blacktout

Jan 16, 2018
1st half

• Brain Age
  • Pikmin 3 Deluxe
  • small eShop game
  • Super Mario 3D World
  • Mario Golf
2nd half
  • 2D Metroid
  • No More Heroes 3
  • Bayonetta 3
  • new IP
  • Super Mario Party 2
  • Zelda BotW 2

The wild thing is that most of these are plausible, verging on likely, given what's already been announced and what's been hinted at by reliable leakers.

I guess Mario Golf, Paper Mario, Mario & Rabbids, Mario Party, and the eShop game haven't been announced or rumored, but they're all solid educated guesses.

Vinc

Oct 25, 2017
Tropical freeze not replicating the amazing sales (on either platform) of returns probably put a damper on a third entry, at least soon.

Aside: Yooka Laylee and the impossible lair is damned good if you need to scratch that DK itch.
I need them to try making a sequel like DKC2 again. Faux-dark and super weird with a bunch of crazy ideas.

Oct 27, 2017
Peru
I couldn't care less about the Kingdom Hearts remasters. It's mostly Square-Enix's loss if they don't want to release them on Switch considering the sales potential.

Now if you ask me about Yakuza though...

K Samedi

Oct 27, 2017
My prediction would be.
1st half

• Brain Age
  • Pikmin 3 Deluxe
  • Style Savy
  • Prime Trilogy

2nd half