• Introducing Image Options for ResetEra 2.0! Check the left side navigation bar to show or hide images, avatars, covers, and embedded media. More details at the link.
  • Community Spotlight sign-ups are open once again for both Gaming and EtcetEra Hangout threads! If you want to shine a spotlight on your community, please register now.

Nintendo Direct Speculation |OT2| Reset the Thread

Oct 27, 2017
Jordan
Persona5 is a shitty homophobic game anyway
Persona 5 is one of this generation's best titles, and its success is very huge for a JRPG game. rarely any JRPG sold more than 2m copies worldwide.

unfortunately, i lost my steel box copy &_&

so I'm waiting the details. if its coming to Switch, it will be great to get a handheld version.

but we will see.

Oct 25, 2017
TBH I was fucking THRILLED when Joker got announced, but that was mostly because it was a rather shocking, out-of-left-field announcement that literally stole the show, and also because of the implications regarding future DLC characters. Joker (i.e. the character itself) I couldn't care less about and had more or less forgotten about by that point.

Feb 1, 2018
Yeah, I've heard that it wont be announced, but who knows.

Pls Atlus
The post said that P5R and P5S are unrelated to P5 Switch, which is honestly pretty likely. The insider said that he wasn't aware of P5 coming to Switch but it could be separate. I'm not sure why people are still so sure that it's dead because of one insider's opinion. If Joker is in Smash and P5 Switch isn't announced after 4.25 then I'll start doubting it but as of now I think there's still a good chance.

Nov 5, 2017
How about discussing P5 being homophibic in the 23 threads about it without poisoning this thread with that issue so talked about that there's really nothing to add?

This topic is 90% discussions about everything and 10% actual "Nintendo Direct Speculation".

Jan 18, 2018
This has probably been argued a thousand times already, but just because 1-2 small sections of a large 100+ hour long game are homophobic, doesn't make the entire game homophobic. Blame Katsura Hashino.
Yes blame the director of the whole game who has consistently shown himself to be homophobic.

Those sections are already too many.

Oct 25, 2017
Yes blame the director of the whole game who has consistently shown himself to be homophobic.

Those sections are already too many.
Persona is the king of getting passes because of pretty menus. Mediocre battle system? No prob, the menus are good. Homophobic content? But the menus. Characters and story are poor? Menus.

Apr 9, 2019
The post said that P5R and P5S are unrelated to P5 Switch, which is honestly pretty likely. The insider said that he wasn't aware of P5 coming to Switch but it could be separate. I'm not sure why people are still so sure that it's dead because of one insider's opinion. If Joker is in Smash and P5 Switch isn't announced after 4.25 then I'll start doubting it but as of now I think there's still a good chance.
I agree. People assume that P5 on switch wont happen because of an insider opinion. I think it could happen, but I am not sure when.

Jan 8, 2018
Persona is the king of getting passes because of pretty menus. Mediocre battle system? No prob, the menus are good. Homophobic content? But the menus. Characters and story are poor? Menus.
A 94 on Opencritic and a 93 on Metacritic would suggest that more than the "menus" are what people like about those games but what do I know?

Feb 1, 2018
I agree. People assume that P5 on switch wont happen because of an insider opinion. I think it could happen, but I am not sure when.
This board is typically reacts very quickly to... anything. Serious case of recency effect, very tied to tradition and "trends"... If another insider came out in the next 5 minutes and said P5 was coming to Switch it'd be considered a fact. It's funny because the insider even said that P5S/P5R not being related to Switch does not rule out P5 on Switch. I think a lot of people just like to be pessimistic and see what they want to see.

Dec 18, 2018
People who say things like this clearly haven't ever played a Persona game.
I've played all of the Persona games (including the PS1 games, which in many ways are better than the current) so I can say this

Persona 5 is a shitty homophobic game and it being endorsed by Nintendo representing Joker in Smash Bros is a fucking shame

Oct 26, 2017
Persona 5 is homophobic but "only" for one scene.

It has............... a lot of other issues also though.

I don't like P5 at all, just confused why Joker is in Smash if P5 isn't coming to Switch.

May 17, 2018
Lala Escargot should've been a social link
Yes! She's a very minor character but implicitly transgender and comes off as caring and responsible rather than any number of horrible portrayals they could have used. I think her inclusion is enough to overlook (not forgive, it's still shitty) the gay predator skit and maybe if we're lucky P5R (S?) will give her a little more attention.

I've played all of the Persona games (including the PS1 games, which in many ways are better than the current) so I can say this

Persona 5 is a shitty homophobic game and it being endorsed by Nintendo representing Joker in Smash Bros is a fucking shame
I'm not going to say Atlus didn't make mistakes with some scenes in the game, yeah they do some things wrong in terms of how they show some LGBT characters. Is that bad? Of course it is. But saying the game is actively homophobic completely tosses out the point of not just Persona 5 but Persona as a series. Did Atlus do some bad things in Persona 5 in terms of how they show some LGBT characters? Yeah they did. But saying the game is actively homophobic is completely disingenuous. Nintendo have made similar mistakes themselves and are they considered a homophobic company who makes homophobic games? No becuase they make Mario and people like Mario.

Jan 18, 2018
People saying "But it was only for a few scenes" are completely missing the point.

The fact of the matter is that these are views that are held by the people working on the game. Even if they weren't directly responsible for them, no one else in a position of power seemed to care enough to try and change it.

This is also a recurring thing with them. Ever since Persona 3 and continuing still into the new Catherine rerelease.

Oct 27, 2017
Persona 5 is homophobic but "only" for one scene.

It has............... a lot of other issues also though.

I don't like P5 at all, just confused why Joker is in Smash if P5 isn't coming to Switch.
I’m assuming its coming. Not gonna ignore the Best Buy “leak” for now - but I won’t assume P5S is what we want per JSchreier

Dec 18, 2018
How often do stores have stuff in their databases that aren't real? This is a legit question - sometimes adding fake placeholders is how they do database training (see: Game Informer, Bully 2).

Oct 25, 2017
People who say things like this clearly haven't ever played a Persona game.
Having played all of the Persona games, Persona 5 is a homophobic game.

Yeah, it's a relatively small part of the game, and it's not nearly as prevalent as the even worse homophobia in Persona 4, but it's still there and shouldn't be ignored. It's something that's always going to tarnish what otherwise is a pretty good game. It's been like this since Hashino took over with Persona 3 (which also has a really stupid transphobic scene). It's really a shame that in terms of how well the series treats LGBT characters has gone steadily downhill since Persona 2. Innocent Sin is still my favorite in part because of this.

Unlikely since they’ve long had the domain name for P5U which would correspond to the Japanese name of the persona fighting game spinoffs (persona 4 arena was persona 4 ultimate in Japan)
P5U is their fighting game. Just like P4U was before it.
I dunno I feel like they may rebrand it to something that works a bit better globally due to the international nature of fighting games