• Introducing Image Options for ResetEra 2.0! Check the left side navigation bar to show or hide images, avatars, covers, and embedded media. More details at the link.
  • Community Spotlight sign-ups are open once again for both Gaming and EtcetEra Hangout threads! If you want to shine a spotlight on your community, please register now.

Nintendo Direct Speculation |OT2| Reset the Thread

Oct 27, 2017
Then why did they tease it during the last Direct? I respect Jonneh and the GX crew, but something doesn't add up.
Probably because it was the first general direct after Smash's release, they spent a good chunk of 2018 promoting it and Joker hadn't (and really still hasn't) been shown off. They could drop a lengthy trailer for 3.0 & Joker and leave it at that. I kinda think one of the reasons they went so light on Smash in the February direct was because they went so hard on it in 2018. They're gonna be talking about the game until at least February 2020. They'll have to pace themselves and not treat every single Smash thing like a huge blowout megaton.

Oct 27, 2017
In a way, I think that adds more reason to not need a 3.0 direct. If they had just said Jokers coming at some point and not said anything about an update then they would definitely need about 10 minutes to go through everything but because people know 3.0 and Joker are coming in April I think they'd be ok shadow dropping it and letting people people find out for themselves or uploading a trailer which is small enough to allow the player the chance to discover most of the new stuff on their own.
It’s not just Joker. Idk why you and him keep saying it’s only Joker. It’s a huge update with Joker, stage, music, Spirits, new stages and probably a VR Mode. This is a Smash Direct worthy considering Sakurai loves to explain things out.

It’s not just Joker. Idk why you and him keep saying it’s only Joker. It’s a huge update with Joker, stage, music, Spirits, new stages and probably a VR Mode. This is a Smash Direct worthy considering Sakurai loves to explain things out.
I'm aware it's more than Joker I just don't think it needs a 10 - 20 minute presentation to show it off.

Jan 6, 2019
Yep, if Sakurai can spend 20 minutes going over language options and brightness settings, he can make a Smash Direct for 3.0, Joker, and probably the next DLC character.

Oct 27, 2017
Nintendo's going to want to give some kind of advance warning for people about their replays. I don't think they will just shadow drop the 3.0 Update.

They had two dedicated Smash Directs after Wii U/3DS released. (And there was another Dedicated Smash Direct in between the release of the 3DS version and Wii U version.)
Dude we had Smash Directs after Smash Wii U released for updates/dlc.
Smash 4 had two post-release Directs dedicated to it.
Yes but that was for multiple characters. Not one character plus a couple of modes, at least one of which is returning.

Mekanos

Banned
Oct 17, 2018
Yes but that was for multiple characters. Not one character plus a couple of modes, at least one of which is returning.
They could easily justify 10-15 minutes to talk about Joker, his stage, Mii costumes, stage builder, and end it with an Erdrick trailer.

The wii U needed all the help it could get. Things are different now
Smash is literally one of the best selling Switch games. You think they aren't going to aggressively advertise its DLC?

Mekanos

Banned
Oct 17, 2018
Yes, that's exactly why I think it could be a shorter trailer. They could put it as YouTube ads and promote the tweet which would reach a larger audience.
You know they could do both things, right? Nintendo Directs carry insane hype, especially Smash Directs. Airing the Direct and advertising through social media is the optimal outcome.

Oct 27, 2017
Yes, that's exactly why I think it could be a shorter trailer. They could put it as YouTube ads and promote the tweet which would reach a larger audience.
Or they can do a Smash Direct and do those things also. I don’t see Sakurai not wanting to explain Joker and other things coming to the 3.0 update.

You know they could do both things, right? Nintendo Directs carry insane hype, especially Smash Directs. Airing the Direct and advertising through social media is the optimal outcome.
But wouldn't it be cheaper to simply do a smaller ad campaign rather than produce a larger direct. Nintendo Directs are more so aimed towards the hardcore Nintendo/Smash Bros fans, most of which have already bought the fighters pass.

Mekanos

Banned
Oct 17, 2018
But wouldn't it be cheaper to simply do a smaller ad campaign rather than produce a larger direct. Nintendo Directs are more so aimed towards the hardcord Nintendo/Smash Bros fans, most of which have already bought the fighters pass.
The game sold 12 million units in less than a month. They aren't exactly hurting for cash to film Sakurai talking in his studio while editing some Smash footage together.

The game sold 12 million units in less than a month. They aren't exactly hurting for cash to film Sakurai talking in his studio while editing some Smash footage together.
It made a lot of money yes, but why waste even a small amount on preaching to the choir when it's unnecessary? A smaller trailer with wider appeal could do the same job.

Mekanos

Banned
Oct 17, 2018
It made a lot of money yes, but why waste even a small amount on preaching to the choir when it's unnecessary? A smaller trailer with wider appeal could do the same job.
Maybe because Smash Directs are so hype they gobble up social media when they launch? Smash fans are always hungry for more info. The cost to produce a Smash Direct is completely negligible compared to the added visibility created by it.

In the world of business, there is no such thing as overmarketing. You want to sell, sell, sell, so you use every avenue possible.

Oct 27, 2017
They film Sakurai in a room. He did Directs after Smash Wii/3DS released. He already did Directs for Smash Ultimate. He’ll definitely have a direct or two post Smash Ultimates release. There’s no “wasting money” considering the amount of money Smash makes and how big the series is.

Then pointing it out the 3.0 Direct made it a big deal.

Mekanos

Banned
Oct 17, 2018
Don't get me wrong I don't think a direct is impossible, hell it's Nintendo nothing is impossible. I just don't think it's needed.
It’s not about what’s “needed” it’s what will make their product as visible as possible. Avengers Endgame could have no trailers and still break box office records, but trailers and ads will make it even MORE money.

It’s not about what’s “needed” it’s what will make their product as visible as possible. Avengers Endgame could have no trailers and still break box office records, but trailers and ads will make it even MORE money.
Yes but those trailers aren't made then targeted at the marvel studios subreddit. They're made for mass market appeal. A direct only showing Joker and a couple new modes isn't going to sell fighters passes because most people watching already have it were as a shorter trailer aimed at people who either haven't bought the game yet or aren't as into Smash as we are would make more sense for something like this.

Mekanos

Banned
Oct 17, 2018
Yes but those trailers aren't made then targeted at the marvel studios subreddit. They're made for mass market appeal. A direct only showing Joker and a couple new modes isn't going to sell fighters passes because most people watching already have it were as a shorter trailer aimed at people who either haven't bought the game yet or aren't as into Smash as we are would make more sense for something like this.
And a Direct showing Joker (and possibly another fighter) will make a net profit off of production costs from people who chose to buy those Fighters/the whole pass. There is no reason for them to break this trend of how they’ve handled basically every Smash reveal. You are way overthinking it.

And a Direct showing Joker (and possibly another fighter) will make a net profit off of production costs from people who chose to buy those Fighters/the whole pass. There is no reason for them to break this trend of how they’ve handled basically every Smash reveal. You are way overthinking it.
It would make sense to do a Direct if they showed another fighter, but remove that and it doesn't make sense

Oct 27, 2017
here's a list of potential Smash DLC I could maybe see being detailed in a random twitter video drop instead of a Direct situation:
- an extra stage a la Super Mario Maker
- a bundle of Mii Costumes
- the end

May 22, 2018
The fact that they deliberately refused to show Joker gameplay in the last direct is proof enough that we're getting a Smash Direct about him and Stage Builder.

The only question is if it'll be this week or if we'll have to wait for Atlus to officially announce Jane at their stupid concert first.

Oct 27, 2017
Nintendo created the hunger for a new Smash Direct when they teased the 3.0 Update during the last Direct. They had the audience right there. To argue that they'll just do some Twitter trailer after what happened in the last Direct makes no sense to me.