• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Next week will probably be the last big info blowout we get before E3 with fiscal year results and presumably Mario Maker 2 news. Though I could see Cadence of Hyrule getting a release date announced sometime in the next month.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Next week will probably be the last big info blowout we get before E3 with fiscal year results and presumably Mario Maker 2 news. Though I could see Cadence of Hyrule getting a release date announced sometime in the next month.
Then silence and build up to the big E3. I just want them to announce their E3 plans next week. I know we know what they're going to do- tournaments, Direct, treehouse, etc. Ready to get the E3 topic going.

JackLinks

Banned
Mar 21, 2019
only things I want from the E3 direct

-more emphasis on third party
-minimal number of 2020 announcements
-no in depth features as part of it

Archduke Kong

Feb 2, 2019
I think in the long run waiting to info-dump at E3 is the smarter move, if that is in fact what they're doing. I'm in the camp that thought E3 last year was pretty mediocre. Maybe not BAD but the non-E3 directs last year were more interesting to watch, probably because there wasn't a large chunk of those presentations dedicated to patch notes for one game (although the Nintendo Switch Online overview definitely comes close to feeling like that).

If they can show off reveals for the games they've announced but not given details for, hit us with a good surprise or two for this year, maybe a shadow drop of some kind (the perfect Cadence of Hyrule shadow drop venue, imo), hit us with Ultimate DLC, and show off a little something for 2020, that'd be both a great direct and a great E3 presentation. Since Sony is sitting this year out, I think Nintendo holding stuff back and but then going a little bigger with their E3 showing would be a smart idea.

Of course this all assumes that's their plan and that they haven't cancelled every game they have and focus the direct on the Labo Fishing Kit instead.

penguindrum

Feb 10, 2019
Aside from what we are 99.9% positive we'll see at E3 (Animal Crossing), I wanna see what Monolith's been working on. I feel like that type of reveal would be perfect for the first direct of 2020 though. They will probably have some JRPG take up a bit of time in the direct since of the Switch-era E3 directs it was Xenoblade 2 then Torna. This year Fire Emblem seems logical but I'm not into Fire Emblem that much.

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
Why wouldn't you want 2020 announcements?

Nobody wants to suffer from agonizing long waits. I still think they have announced some games way too early. Metroid and Bayonetta, especially. Announcements just couple of months before the launches are so much better. We're getting Astral Chain just 6 months after the reveal and that keeps us sane.

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo has so many announcements they need to make for this year they could do a 40+ minute direct of only things coming in 2019. Outside of a few possible things (Retro...) I think a lot of 2020 announcements would be saved for a Fall Direct.

Christo750

May 10, 2018
Nobody wants to suffer from agonizing long waits. I still think they have announced some games way too early. Metroid and Bayonetta, especially. Announcements just couple of months before the launches are so much better. We're getting Astral Chain just 6 months after the reveal and that keeps us sane.
Yeah but E3 is always the place to announce what's coming in the future. Both of Switch's E3s they've had at least 2 "next year" or "now in development" games announced. Plus you always need a vision for a healthy future for your platform.

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah but E3 is always the place to announce what's coming in the future. Both of Switch's E3s they've had at least 2 "next year" or "now in development" games announced. Plus you always need a vision for a healthy future for your platform.

There will be some "future" titles without any release date given. Like, Retro's new game. But later in the year it will be announced that it's actually a 2019 game, releasing sometime in November-December (my guess for Emily's final "mystery game" is this).

But after Metroid fiasco,I think they're done with "now in development" type of announcement. Switch no longer needs "proof" to show that it has a future, it already more than enough reasons to be the top console this year.

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
Nintendo has an investors meeting this week correct? I'm assuming we'll get updated sales numbers for games like Smash Ultimate?

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nintendo doesn't usually makes a lot future game announcements at E3 (started this years ago) and this year shouldn't be different because of all the games we have coming this year. They only announced like 2 games at last years E3. In 2017, they only announced 3 games coming in 2018 or beyond and we knew like all of Nintendo's games coming for 2017 by E3 2017.

It's not like they've consistently announced a lot of games coming in the future like Sony loves to do. They can announce the same 2-3 2020 games regardless of the amount of games we know coming this year. The announcements will take maybe 3-4 minutes of the presentation.

And games get delayed so what? Yoshi and MP4 got delayed. It happens, it doesn't mean they should stop showing games coming in the future. Luigi's Mansion 3 and AC were announced September 2018. Looks like they won't come out until the second half of this year, which is a full year later.

Green098

May 19, 2018
2020 is only six months after E3. Very unrealistic to expect any new game announcements from Nintendo and have all/most of them not be 2020 games.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
2020 is only six months after E3. Very unrealistic to expect any new game announcements from Nintendo and have all/most of them not be 2020 games.
There's definitely going to be 2-3 announcements. This year is like 2017. Lots of games coming. We're going to get a longer direct this year because there are more games to talk about.

I will say even though Mario Odyssey was revealed in January 2017 (trailer only), it didn't get a big presence in Nintendo's E3 presentation. They dropped another trailer and went straight to gameplay. So, there's no guarantee any game goes in depth at this year's E3.

AllEchse

Oct 29, 2017
There's definitely going to be 2-3 announcements. This year is like 2017. Lots of games coming. We're going to get a longer direct this year because there are more games to talk about.

I will say even though Mario Odyssey was revealed in January 2017 (trailer only), it didn't get a big presence in Nintendo's E3 presentation. They dropped another trailer and went straight to gameplay. So, there's no guarantee any game goes in depth at this year's E3.
If this years E3 Showcase is gonna be anything like 2017 I am going to be happy.
We had Metroid Prime 4 that year (I cry) and then Samus Returns in the Treehouse Stream after and a few other games
(I should look that up now)
If it's gonna be like 2018, that year was very smash, but I guess thats what happens when it is like almost the only big Switch title releasing that year next to a Pokemon Remake.
But looking at the games that are already announced for this year and the last Direct and Nindies I guess they won't disappoint.
They know how to drop bombs at start and thw end of the Stream.
In the Direct we had Mario Maker 2 and Links Awakening and in the Nindies we had Cuphead and Zelda Necrodancer.
Even in the European Indie Showcase we finally had the Wargroove release date (but I guess that just subjective).
Even if we just get more info on Astral Chain I am going to be happy.

Pokémon

Oct 27, 2017
Avatar bets for Persona 5 Switch port announcement this week. Losers will have to change their avatars to the avatar of choice (won't be NSFW or anything like that) for one week. Will Atlus deliver the goods?

Yes:

No:
RadioJoNES

Atlus would rather port P5 to the PSP than to Switch so you can put me into no. Especially after Jason said he hasn't heard anything. This being said P5S might come to Switch but it won't be a main game but a spin-off.

Wombat_Lover

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jan 20, 2019
I see the usual suspects starting to say Nintendo isn't gonna announce any new games for next year. Then year after year they keep getting proved wrong again and again.

Nintendo will indeed announced 2-3 2020 games either from them or 3rd party.

Mickagau

Dec 11, 2018
France
Aside from what we are 99.9% positive we'll see at E3 (Animal Crossing), I wanna see what Monolith's been working on. I feel like that type of reveal would be perfect for the first direct of 2020 though. They will probably have some JRPG take up a bit of time in the direct since of the Switch-era E3 directs it was Xenoblade 2 then Torna. This year Fire Emblem seems logical but I'm not into Fire Emblem that much.

Let the 00.1% negative win regarding Animal Crossing at E3. Yes, I'm desperate.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If this years E3 Showcase is gonna be anything like 2017 I am going to be happy.
We had Metroid Prime 4 that year (I cry) and then Samus Returns in the Treehouse Stream after and a few other games
If it's gonna be like 2018, that year was very smash, but I guess thats what happens when it is like almost the only big Switch title releasing that year next to a Pokemon Remake.
But looking at the games that are already announced for this year and the last Direct and Nindies I guess they won't disappoint.
In the Direct we had Mario Maker 2 and Links Awakening and in the Nindies we had Cuphead and Zelda Necrodancer.
Even in the European Indie Showcase we finally had the Wargroove release date (but I guess that just subjective).
I wouldn't worry about this being like last years E3. Last year was an anomaly. Nintendo has never focused that long on one game in a E3 Presentation. This year will definitely be more like E3 2017 or prior years since we know a handful of big games they have to talk about. Treehouse will be lots of fun.

Apr 21, 2018

It will have even more variety than E3 2017. Even amongst the already-announced 2019 exclusives, there is a huge list : Astral Chain, Fire Emblem, Marvel Ultimate Alliance, Mario Maker 2, Pokemon, Luigi's Mansion 3, Animal Crossing, Link's Awakening. They will probably have all of those playable on the show floor. I doubt there is much more on the 1st-party exclusive front for 2019. My take is we'll get a look at atleast one 2020 game.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I see the usual suspects starting to say Nintendo isn't gonna announce any new games for next year. Then year after year they keep getting proved wrong again and again.

Nintendo will indeed announced 2-3 2020 games either from them or 3rd party.
Why do we go through this year after year? We could have the most packed year ever or we could have the weakest year ever and Nintendo will still announce at least one game for the following year. 2016 had one game and it was a real dead year for them. All the other years you get 2 games or more.

lunanto

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
I dont expect anything till E3. And I hope it will be an epic-tier one for Nintendo (many games and even new hardware announcements).

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if Nintendo will take advantage of Sony not being at E3 this year? Maybe they give it a little more "oomph" in some way. Not sure what they'd do though other than show more games.

Microsoft is 100% doing it, but they're more of a direct competitor with Sony and both are going into next gen. They have more reason to take advantage of Sony not being there.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I used to think Nintendo would announce a Retro Studios game, Pikmin 4 and NMH3, but then I forgot about the collaboration between Microsoft and Nintendo. I see games being announced coming to Switch from them and that's a big deal. There'll probably be a game for 2019 and any other third party games.

That's too many announcements in my mind. I might have to revise...

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia
I used to think Nintendo would announce a Retro Studios game, Pikmin 4 and NMH3, but then I forgot about the collaboration between Microsoft and Nintendo. I see games being announced coming to Switch from them and that's a big deal. There'll probably be a game for 2019 and any other third party games.

Just save Pikmin 4 for the Fall Direct; it fits in with the type of announcements in the last Fall Direct (it would probably be the Luigi's Mansion 3 equivalent).

Peleo

Nov 2, 2017

I also believe we will get Retro + Pikmin 4, but I would just add in a Pikmin 3 port coming in relatively soon, similar announcement-release window to Super Mario Party.

I have no idea how they would spread the releases in the rest of the year though, maybe something like this:

June: Super Mario Maker 2
July: Fire Emblem Three Houses
August: Astral Chain + Pikmin 3
September: Animal Crossing + Daemon X Machina
October: Luigi's Mansion + Retro
November: Pokemon Sword & Shield
December: Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening

2020:
February: Pikmin 4
Autumn: NMH3

Retro's game is the hardest to predict, could just as well be scheduled for March 2020.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just save Pikmin 4 for the Fall Direct; it fits in with the type of announcements in the last Fall Direct (it would probably be the Luigi's Mansion 3 equivalent).

That's true, but Pikmin 3 holds me back from agreeing or I would've easily been on board for Pikmin 4 in a fall Direct.

I also believe we will get Retro + Pikmin 4, but I would just add in a Pikmin 3 port coming in relatively soon, similar announcement-release window to Super Mario Party.

I have no idea how they would spread the releases in the rest of the year though, maybe something like this:

June: Super Mario Maker 2
July: Fire Emblem Three Houses
August: Astral Chain + Pikmin 3
September: Animal Crossing + Daemon X Machina
October: Luigi's Mansion + Retro
November: Pokemon Sword & Shield
December: Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening

2020:
February: Pikmin 4
Autumn: NMH3

Retro's game is the hardest to predict, could just as well be scheduled for March 2020.

Yeah I think Retro's game will be saved for early 2020. It might be a little too crowded for this year. Emily said another Mystery game was coming this year.

I agree Pikmin 3 is August.

Deleted member 9584

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
This years E3 is pretty much already accounted for. There show off MUA3, Fire Emblem, Astral Chain, Pokemon, Links Awakening, Luigi's Mansion and they will reveal Animal Crossing. They don't have much room for anything else. I can see them dropping a tease for no more than two 2020 games.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So far all of Emily's games have been Nintendo games- Astral Chain, Super Mario Maker 2 and Links Awakening.

Makes me think her 4th game will also be a Nintendo game and will be announced at E3. Nintendo never(?) announces their own games in a September direct to release in the same year.

Status
Not open for further replies.