• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rowsdower

Prophet of Truth - The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Hm, so P5S might be a spin-off for, potentially, the Switch then? Maybe not Persona 5 proper, but... something. I dunno.

Jbone115

Oct 25, 2017
Some people think the "A Link to the Past" entry could be a placeholder for Cadence of Hyrule, though I'm not sold on that theory myself.

HockeyBird

Oct 27, 2017
As the Best Buy thing was happening, I thought it was leading to something but when A Link to the Past in the listing I dropped to 50/50 of it being something or nothing. Persona and Metroid Prime seem logical but I don't know what A Link the Past could be which makes me think it is all likely a mistake. My best guess it that they will bundle A Link to the Past with Link's Awakening or maybe have it as a pre-order bonus.

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
Hey, so...

Some of you may have seen that I was on Kinda Funny Games saying I didn't think Persona 5 was coming to Switch. I'm afraid to tell you all that, despite Best Buy (lol), I still feel that way. I think Persona 5 Royale is a PS4 game, and I'm pretty sure that P5S is something else entirely.

I guess it's possible that a P5 Switch port is coming separately, and it's also possible that the people I talk to aren't omniscient, which is why I don't like to definitely declare "Persona 5 is not coming to Switch," but, look, don't let these "insiders" get your hopes up too much is all I'm saying.

(Video game bloggers, please don't turn this post into a news article on your websites.)
If Jason's sources are right, Joker in Smash will go down as one of the most bizarre newcomers in Smash, especially since he was hand-picked by Nintendo themselves, not Sakurai.

RumbleHumble

Oct 27, 2017
What's happened, though? A Best Buy listing that anyone could have entered? A bunch of Twitter rumors getting everyone's hopes up? Persona 5 S having an S in it?

I'm very confident that P4 Royal is PS4-only and that P5S is something else entirely. (I've heard it's another genre but am not 100% sure. No idea what platforms.) I'm sharing this because I hate to see people getting their hopes up for something that I'm pretty sure isn't true, and it's frustrating to keep seeing "insiders" spread rumors that turn out to be false. It's possible that Persona 5 is coming to Switch separately, which would make me very happy, but it's not one of those two things, despite what Twitter insiders have been telling you.

I hate to keep pushing the matter, and I'm sure there's so many reasons why you can't answer, but I gotta ask:

Any word if Royal's a remaster or a full-blown sequel?

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
What's happened, though? A Best Buy listing that anyone could have entered? A bunch of Twitter rumors getting everyone's hopes up? Persona 5 S having an S in it?

I'm very confident that P4 Royal is PS4-only and that P5S is something else entirely. (I've heard it's another genre but am not 100% sure. No idea what platforms.) I'm sharing this because I hate to see people getting their hopes up for something that I'm pretty sure isn't true, and it's frustrating to keep seeing "insiders" spread rumors that turn out to be false. It's possible that Persona 5 is coming to Switch separately, which would make me very happy, but it's not one of those two things, despite what Twitter insiders have been telling you.
Yea but persona wasn't the only game listed in Best Buy systems, plus it still hasn't been fully removed. I'm leaning more towards real than fake. Not 100% though

iag

Oct 27, 2017
1554836645-ezgif-com-optimize.gif
Why are you logged in as Muzy?

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
the king told you guys that leakers and insiders werent good for your health

but you didnt wanna listen

you never wanna listen

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

People will still be disappointed but hey appreciate the effort.

Though don't take this as a slight against you but I hope you're wrong.

daybreak

Feb 28, 2018
What's happened, though?

I'd mainly just question why Nintendo would be putting a character in Smash from a game that's not even available on a Nintendo system - at least all of the other guest characters in Smash have been on a Nintendo console at some point in time.

EDIT: I guess Cloud would be the odd one out here since he was in the WiiU game, but FF7 is now on Switch, so...

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think the LttP on Best Buy was Cadence of Hyrule. It does look like LttP. Someone might've got confused.

HockeyBird

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think anyone is still saying that The Royal is coming to Switch. Most people are leaning on that it's an expansion or sequel of sorts for Persona 5. But nobody of course knows what Persona 5S is which is leading to continued speculation. I think the only "insider" to definitely state that Persona 5 is coming to Switch is Mystic Dance and he has a spotty record. I think the speculation for Persona 5 Switch is not driven by insiders but mostly because Joker is in Smash Bros.

Nigel Tufnel

Mar 5, 2019
Gunna assume that since Jason logged in to tell us Persona 5 S isn't a switch game to get peoples expectations in line, but hasn't commented on the April Direct rumors, that he's basically confirming the direct.

QED, Scienced it.

MexM

One Winged Slayer
Nov 10, 2017
I'd mainly just question why Nintendo would be putting a character in Smash from a game that's not even available on a Nintendo system - at least all of the other guest characters in Smash have been on a Nintendo console at some point in time.
Joker has been in both Persona Q2 for 3DS (as the only protagonist) and Phantasy Star Online II for Switch.

jschreier

Press Sneak Fuck
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
It's a good question. And, again, for all I know, some corner of the Treehouse is secretly working on a port right now, which would make me THRILLED. All I can share is what I've heard, which is that it ain't Royal or S.

RumbleHumble

Oct 27, 2017
Atlus and Nintendo are companies that know how to baffle me better than anyone else.

Lord Vatek

Banned
Jan 18, 2018
I'm probably going to regret saying this as I have no opinion whatsoever on Persona 5 on Switch but... I will say that the Best Buy entry just says "Persona 5". No S or R. Take that how you will.

Though "Joker in Smash" being a reason for Persona 5 being on Switch has never made any sense to me. None.

Seafoam Gaming

One Winged Slayer
Nov 3, 2017
Persona 5 S stands for Showdown and is just a fighting game, calling it now. You'll get your low quality deformed chibi 3DS game, maybe the fighter, and nothing else.

Gotta say though, would much rather have a main series SMT rep or Jack Frost if true. Joker feels even more out of place now since unlike FF Persona has never had much significance in Nintendo history while Megami Tensei has. Hoping Joker is being used to celebrate a bunch of SMT/Persona stuff instead of just things from 5, at least. Come on Persona 2 themes...

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
I think the LttP on Best Buy was Cadence of Hyrule. It does look like LttP. Someone might've got confused.

But there were 3 games. One of which (MPT) has been confirmed from many of the insiders here. But if Jason is right about Persona 5, then that means that Best Buy made an error listing ALttP and Persona 5? But maybe the MPT is legitimate?

I can see one incorrect listing, but two?

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017

EDIT: I guess Cloud would be the odd one out here since he was in the WiiU game, but FF7 is now on Switch, so...
Yeah but I bet FFVII wasn't considered for a Nintendo console when Cloud came in.

So it really isn't that shocking, personally. Guest characters are sometime just guests.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It's a good question. And, again, for all I know, some corner of the Treehouse is secretly working on a port right now, which would make me THRILLED. All I can share is what I've heard, which is that it ain't Royal or S.
If you know that it's not royal or S then that would also match the Best Buy listing which is just P5

Last edited:

Deleted member 9584

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
No persona on Switch will be one of the biggest disappointments this gen for me. It's such a slam dunk and it's so baffling that it's not gonna happen.

I just don't get how Nintendo can put Joker in Smash and build it up around all of this Persona hype and then it leads to nothing but Joker in Smash... oh and some exclusive PS4 persona games

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah but I bet FFVII wasn't considered for a Nintendo console when Cloud came in.

So it really isn't that shocking, personally. Guest characters are sometime just guests.
Yeah, but Cloud was when Sakurai was picking the characters. Nintendo is picking them this time, and picking Joker of all characters when the game itself isn't coming to their platform just doesn't make any sense.

Oct 25, 2017
Should the question really be why Nintendo put the most popular character from a close partner in their fighting game? Shouldn't it be why Atlus refuses to put their PS3 spec game on an extremely popular system from a close partner?

Status
Not open for further replies.