• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
In on Pokemon and DQ11.

Maybe on Mario Maker 2, Link's Awakening and Animal Crossing.

Meh on most other things.

Never ever with Fire Emblem.

beetlebum

Nov 24, 2017
Brazil
For people making these lists, here are the full list of Nintendo published 2019 games :

- BoxBoy + BoxGirl
- Cadence of Hyrule
- Super Mario Maker 2
- Dragon Quest Builders 2
- Fire Emblem Three Houses
- Astral Chains
- Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3
- Daemon X Machina
- Dragon Quest XI S
- Pokemon Sword/Shield
- Luigi's Mansion 3
- Animal Crossing
- Link's Awakening
Let's rank those then:

1) Luigi's Mansion 3 - I absolutely adore this series as a Nintendo take on the creepy haunted house trope. The slow-paced exploration, the creativity of the environments, Luigi's mannerisms and scared demeanor - all of this adds up to make the most charming "scary" games I've ever played.

2) Dragon Quest Builders 2 - The first game is one of my favorites that I've played on my PS4. Getting this one on the Switch for sure, as portability should be a big plus for this kind of gameplay.

3) Link's Awakening - Incredible game that I haven't played in a while with a gorgeous new art style.

4) Super Mario Maker 2 - What we know so far shows promise, and seems to go way beyond the excellent first game. It just needs a Mario Paint-esque music composer and a way to link levels together in a "world" in order for this to be everything I ever dreamed of.

5) Animal Crossing - Never played the series, but I'm really eager to. Stardew Valley gave me a newfound love for laid back experiences.

6) Pokemon Sword/Shield - Not the revolution I want for the series, but still seems like a lot of fun. I just hope they don't bog down the formula with a lot of unneeded padding.

7) Fire Emblem Three Houses - I love Awakening, but found Fates to be so so. Cautiously optimistic about this one, and the school setting looks awesome.

8) Astral Chains - Platinum has never really had a home run with me, but this one is promising. If it's confirmed open world instead of level-based, my interest will increase significantly.

9) Dragon Quest XI S - Played it on my PS4, found it to be kind of disappointing. Still a fun old school RPG with beautiful modern 3D graphics, but I expected more new ideas gameplay-wise.

10) BoxBoy + BoxGirl - Looks cute and fun, but given the amount of interesting titles being released constantly on the Switch, I find it hard to imagine I'll have time for this.

11) Cadence of Hyrule - Rhythm-based games always give me pause, in a bad way. If it reviews well, maybe I'll take a look.

12) Daemon X Machina - I love the graphics on this one, but I'm currently not feeling the gameplay at all.

13) Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3 - Not a fan of superheroes, so this isn't for me.

Last edited:

Lord Vatek

Banned
Jan 18, 2018
Astral Link: Looks great. Can't wait to play.

Animal Crossing: Never really played the series before but I'll try it if it looks good.

Fire Emblem Three Houses: I want to be hyped for it as I really enjoyed Awakening and Fates but I don't like the art choices made so far and I can't say the premise is all that intriguing yet. I also despise the strong possibility of a silent protagonist. Let that trope die, dammit!

Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3: Waiting to see the full character list but I really like what's been shown so far.

Luigi's Mansion: Waiting for more info.

Pokemon Sword and Shield: I've bought every other Pokemon game (besides Let's Go) and this will be no different.

Link's Awakening: Nope. Didn't care for the original.

Cadence of Hyrule: Looks great. I love the artwork and the original game.

Dragon Quest XI S: I stopped playing the PS4 version in anticipation for this. It just looks like an overall improvement in most regards.

Super Mario Maker 2: Yeah I'll buy it.

Daemon X Machina: Ehh... I wasn't impressed by the demo. We'll see.

Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo
Uh, yeah, every game on Switch "looks kinda cheap" compared to Spiderman PS4

I'm not taking specifically about the technical aspects, in which the switch will inherently be limited, but more in terms of ambition. There are games on switch which I find more ambitious than Spiderman, while having inferior graphics.
From what we've seen (arguably not much), that switch marvel game seemed like a basic beat them all with a marvel skin.

Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018
I'm not taking specifically about the technical aspects, in which the switch will inherently be limited, but more in terms of ambition. There are games on switch which I find more ambitious than Spiderman, while having inferior graphics.
From what we've seen (arguably not much), that switch marvel game seemed like a basic beat them all with a marvel skin.

MUA has always been a beat-em-up

Gobias-Ind

Nov 22, 2017

Fair enough. I'd probably feel similarly if I didn't recently play a bit of the first MUA with a friend. It's a pretty generic game that leans heavily on the license. Not bad like a lot of licensed games are, but nothing special, imo.

hussien-11

Oct 27, 2017
Jordan
Persona5 is a shitty homophobic game anyway

Persona 5 is one of this generation's best titles, and its success is very huge for a JRPG game. rarely any JRPG sold more than 2m copies worldwide.

unfortunately, i lost my steel box copy &_&

so I'm waiting the details. if its coming to Switch, it will be great to get a handheld version.

but we will see.

srtrestre

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
TBH I was fucking THRILLED when Joker got announced, but that was mostly because it was a rather shocking, out-of-left-field announcement that literally stole the show, and also because of the implications regarding future DLC characters. Joker (i.e. the character itself) I couldn't care less about and had more or less forgotten about by that point.

Dellstrami

Feb 1, 2018
Yeah, I've heard that it wont be announced, but who knows.

Pls Atlus

The post said that P5R and P5S are unrelated to P5 Switch, which is honestly pretty likely. The insider said that he wasn't aware of P5 coming to Switch but it could be separate. I'm not sure why people are still so sure that it's dead because of one insider's opinion. If Joker is in Smash and P5 Switch isn't announced after 4.25 then I'll start doubting it but as of now I think there's still a good chance.

Deleted member 31092

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
How about discussing P5 being homophibic in the 23 threads about it without poisoning this thread with that issue so talked about that there's really nothing to add?

This topic is 90% discussions about everything and 10% actual "Nintendo Direct Speculation".

Lord Vatek

Banned
Jan 18, 2018
This has probably been argued a thousand times already, but just because 1-2 small sections of a large 100+ hour long game are homophobic, doesn't make the entire game homophobic. Blame Katsura Hashino.
Yes blame the director of the whole game who has consistently shown himself to be homophobic.

Those sections are already too many.

Deleted member 2793

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yes blame the director of the whole game who has consistently shown himself to be homophobic.

Those sections are already too many.
Persona is the king of getting passes because of pretty menus. Mediocre battle system? No prob, the menus are good. Homophobic content? But the menus. Characters and story are poor? Menus.

srtrestre

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Reggie looking at his twitter comments when his farewell Direct hits and he reveals Mother 3

giphy.gif

Last edited:

Jezz

Apr 9, 2019
The post said that P5R and P5S are unrelated to P5 Switch, which is honestly pretty likely. The insider said that he wasn't aware of P5 coming to Switch but it could be separate. I'm not sure why people are still so sure that it's dead because of one insider's opinion. If Joker is in Smash and P5 Switch isn't announced after 4.25 then I'll start doubting it but as of now I think there's still a good chance.
I agree. People assume that P5 on switch wont happen because of an insider opinion. I think it could happen, but I am not sure when.

BradenAndEggs

Jan 8, 2018
Persona is the king of getting passes because of pretty menus. Mediocre battle system? No prob, the menus are good. Homophobic content? But the menus. Characters and story are poor? Menus.

A 94 on Opencritic and a 93 on Metacritic would suggest that more than the "menus" are what people like about those games but what do I know?

Dellstrami

Feb 1, 2018
I agree. People assume that P5 on switch wont happen because of an insider opinion. I think it could happen, but I am not sure when.

This board is typically reacts very quickly to... anything. Serious case of recency effect, very tied to tradition and "trends"... If another insider came out in the next 5 minutes and said P5 was coming to Switch it'd be considered a fact. It's funny because the insider even said that P5S/P5R not being related to Switch does not rule out P5 on Switch. I think a lot of people just like to be pessimistic and see what they want to see.

Moltres006

Banned
Jan 5, 2019
Regarding P5 on switch, I remember hearing NateDrake on the spawncast saying that he's 99% sure its coming. Perhaps he knows something.

OwOtacon

Alt Account
Banned
Dec 18, 2018
People who say things like this clearly haven't ever played a Persona game.
I've played all of the Persona games (including the PS1 games, which in many ways are better than the current) so I can say this

Persona 5 is a shitty homophobic game and it being endorsed by Nintendo representing Joker in Smash Bros is a fucking shame

Oct 26, 2017
Persona 5 is homophobic but "only" for one scene.

It has............... a lot of other issues also though.

I don't like P5 at all, just confused why Joker is in Smash if P5 isn't coming to Switch.

milkyway

One Winged Slayer
May 17, 2018
Lala Escargot should've been a social link
Yes! She's a very minor character but implicitly transgender and comes off as caring and responsible rather than any number of horrible portrayals they could have used. I think her inclusion is enough to overlook (not forgive, it's still shitty) the gay predator skit and maybe if we're lucky P5R (S?) will give her a little more attention.

superbright

Feb 11, 2019
United Kingdom
I've played all of the Persona games (including the PS1 games, which in many ways are better than the current) so I can say this

Persona 5 is a shitty homophobic game and it being endorsed by Nintendo representing Joker in Smash Bros is a fucking shame
I'm not going to say Atlus didn't make mistakes with some scenes in the game, yeah they do some things wrong in terms of how they show some LGBT characters. Is that bad? Of course it is. But saying the game is actively homophobic completely tosses out the point of not just Persona 5 but Persona as a series. Did Atlus do some bad things in Persona 5 in terms of how they show some LGBT characters? Yeah they did. But saying the game is actively homophobic is completely disingenuous. Nintendo have made similar mistakes themselves and are they considered a homophobic company who makes homophobic games? No becuase they make Mario and people like Mario.

Lord Vatek

Banned
Jan 18, 2018
People saying "But it was only for a few scenes" are completely missing the point.

The fact of the matter is that these are views that are held by the people working on the game. Even if they weren't directly responsible for them, no one else in a position of power seemed to care enough to try and change it.

This is also a recurring thing with them. Ever since Persona 3 and continuing still into the new Catherine rerelease.

Alastor3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Persona 5 is homophobic but "only" for one scene.

It has............... a lot of other issues also though.

I don't like P5 at all, just confused why Joker is in Smash if P5 isn't coming to Switch.
Joker is in Smash because it's absolutely 100% positive that p5 is coming to switch, no doubt about it

OwOtacon

Alt Account
Banned
Dec 18, 2018
How often do stores have stuff in their databases that aren't real? This is a legit question - sometimes adding fake placeholders is how they do database training (see: Game Informer, Bully 2).

Status
Not open for further replies.