• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Mario is probably not the example you want to use considering Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door featured a transgender character named Vivian that people still hold up as good representation in 2019, just like people still hold up P2: IS. Going from good rep to actively harmful portrayals is enough to call that aspect of the game bad. It's stuff like Mario and Link being allowed to dress femininely that gives Nintendo gets a pass now, if that's what you want to call it. Maybe Nintendo has developed games with homophobic sentiments in the past, but clearly they're not doing that right now.

Breath Of The Wild had a pretty commonly criticized scene with transphobic elements.

https://www.pastemagazine.com/artic...h-of-the-wild-failed-us-when-it-comes-to.html

I could cherry pick this scene and imply the whole game is worth trashing because of it. Or I could acknowledge it as a bad minor part of an otherwise great game, a part that certainly deserves critique, but it's important to understand that basically all media we consume is going to have problematic elements in it. That doesn't mean stop criticizing it. It means you should weigh your own opinions on what makes one too much and the other acceptable.

superbright

Feb 11, 2019
United Kingdom
Breath Of The Wild had a pretty commonly criticized scene with transphobic elements.

https://www.pastemagazine.com/artic...h-of-the-wild-failed-us-when-it-comes-to.html

I could cherry pick this scene and imply the whole game is worth trashing because of it. Or I could acknowledge it as a bad minor part of an otherwise great game, a part that certainly deserves critique, but it's important to understand that basically all media we consume is going to have problematic elements in it. That doesn't mean stop criticizing it. It means you should weigh your own opinions on what makes one too much and the other acceptable.
Thank you for posting this. There's a lot of people who give Hashino's games a pass for their anti-LGBT content, but it makes me happy to see that there's some people who are willing to criticize them. Being queer myself, it means a lot.

It's true that Fates does have that blatantly awful scene. It's also the only FE game that lets you have any kind of same sex relationship. While I can't ignore how horrible those scenes involving Soliel are, I did at least appreciate that it let my Corrin be gay at all, even though my options were limited in that regard. There's clearly a lot of improvement needed for future installments. At the very least, Leon in Echoes was handled well.

As a last note, and I won't go into too much detail to keep things brief, but Kanji (and especially how other people treat Kanji) is one of the worst handled aspects of Persona 4. I don't for a second believe that Hashino intended anything positive regarding queer people when it comes to that character.
Guys. This is a pretty important topic I agree, but I think it would be better to move it to it's own thread because it's kind of eating this one.

superbright

Feb 11, 2019
United Kingdom
Then why did they tease it during the last Direct? I respect Jonneh and the GX crew, but something doesn't add up.
In a way, I think that adds more reason to not need a 3.0 direct. If they had just said Jokers coming at some point and not said anything about an update then they would definitely need about 10 minutes to go through everything but because people know 3.0 and Joker are coming in April I think they'd be ok shadow dropping it and letting people people find out for themselves or uploading a trailer which is small enough to allow the player the chance to discover most of the new stuff on their own.

Fanuilos

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Then why did they tease it during the last Direct? I respect Jonneh and the GX crew, but something doesn't add up.
Probably because it was the first general direct after Smash's release, they spent a good chunk of 2018 promoting it and Joker hadn't (and really still hasn't) been shown off. They could drop a lengthy trailer for 3.0 & Joker and leave it at that. I kinda think one of the reasons they went so light on Smash in the February direct was because they went so hard on it in 2018. They're gonna be talking about the game until at least February 2020. They'll have to pace themselves and not treat every single Smash thing like a huge blowout megaton.

Mar 9, 2018
Can we show some respect please. Their name is Piranha Plant. Not Plant. Not Petey. And especially not P L A N T with spaces between the letters.

superbright

Feb 11, 2019
United Kingdom

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
In a way, I think that adds more reason to not need a 3.0 direct. If they had just said Jokers coming at some point and not said anything about an update then they would definitely need about 10 minutes to go through everything but because people know 3.0 and Joker are coming in April I think they'd be ok shadow dropping it and letting people people find out for themselves or uploading a trailer which is small enough to allow the player the chance to discover most of the new stuff on their own.
It's not just Joker. Idk why you and him keep saying it's only Joker. It's a huge update with Joker, stage, music, Spirits, new stages and probably a VR Mode. This is a Smash Direct worthy considering Sakurai loves to explain things out.

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
It's not just Joker. Idk why you and him keep saying it's only Joker. It's a huge update with Joker, stage, music, Spirits, new stages and probably a VR Mode. This is a Smash Direct worthy considering Sakurai loves to explain things out.
Yep, if Sakurai can spend 20 minutes going over language options and brightness settings, he can make a Smash Direct for 3.0, Joker, and probably the next DLC character.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Nintendo's going to want to give some kind of advance warning for people about their replays. I don't think they will just shadow drop the 3.0 Update.

srtrestre

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
All I want is a Direct is that too much to ask, nintdo

giphy.gif

superbright

Feb 11, 2019
United Kingdom
They had two dedicated Smash Directs after Wii U/3DS released. (And there was another Dedicated Smash Direct in between the release of the 3DS version and Wii U version.)
Dude we had Smash Directs after Smash Wii U released for updates/dlc.
Smash 4 had two post-release Directs dedicated to it.
Yes but that was for multiple characters. Not one character plus a couple of modes, at least one of which is returning.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Yes but that was for multiple characters. Not one character plus a couple of modes, at least one of which is returning.

They could easily justify 10-15 minutes to talk about Joker, his stage, Mii costumes, stage builder, and end it with an Erdrick trailer.

The wii U needed all the help it could get. Things are different now

Smash is literally one of the best selling Switch games. You think they aren't going to aggressively advertise its DLC?

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Yes, that's exactly why I think it could be a shorter trailer. They could put it as YouTube ads and promote the tweet which would reach a larger audience.

You know they could do both things, right? Nintendo Directs carry insane hype, especially Smash Directs. Airing the Direct and advertising through social media is the optimal outcome.

superbright

Feb 11, 2019
United Kingdom
You know they could do both things, right? Nintendo Directs carry insane hype, especially Smash Directs. Airing the Direct and advertising through social media is the optimal outcome.
But wouldn't it be cheaper to simply do a smaller ad campaign rather than produce a larger direct. Nintendo Directs are more so aimed towards the hardcore Nintendo/Smash Bros fans, most of which have already bought the fighters pass.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
But wouldn't it be cheaper to simply do a smaller ad campaign rather than produce a larger direct. Nintendo Directs are more so aimed towards the hardcord Nintendo/Smash Bros fans, most of which have already bought the fighters pass.

The game sold 12 million units in less than a month. They aren't exactly hurting for cash to film Sakurai talking in his studio while editing some Smash footage together.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
It made a lot of money yes, but why waste even a small amount on preaching to the choir when it's unnecessary? A smaller trailer with wider appeal could do the same job.

Maybe because Smash Directs are so hype they gobble up social media when they launch? Smash fans are always hungry for more info. The cost to produce a Smash Direct is completely negligible compared to the added visibility created by it.

In the world of business, there is no such thing as overmarketing. You want to sell, sell, sell, so you use every avenue possible.

mopinks

Oct 27, 2017
whenever they announce a Direct they get a day and a half of raging publicity before the dang thing even airs

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They film Sakurai in a room. He did Directs after Smash Wii/3DS released. He already did Directs for Smash Ultimate. He'll definitely have a direct or two post Smash Ultimates release. There's no "wasting money" considering the amount of money Smash makes and how big the series is.

Then pointing it out the 3.0 Direct made it a big deal.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Don't get me wrong I don't think a direct is impossible, hell it's Nintendo nothing is impossible. I just don't think it's needed.

It's not about what's "needed" it's what will make their product as visible as possible. Avengers Endgame could have no trailers and still break box office records, but trailers and ads will make it even MORE money.

superbright

Feb 11, 2019
United Kingdom
It's not about what's "needed" it's what will make their product as visible as possible. Avengers Endgame could have no trailers and still break box office records, but trailers and ads will make it even MORE money.
Yes but those trailers aren't made then targeted at the marvel studios subreddit. They're made for mass market appeal. A direct only showing Joker and a couple new modes isn't going to sell fighters passes because most people watching already have it were as a shorter trailer aimed at people who either haven't bought the game yet or aren't as into Smash as we are would make more sense for something like this.

Status
Not open for further replies.