• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Has Nintendo ever done a direct in the same month that they announce their quarterly earnings? That might answer our direct question this month

srtrestre

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The save data transfer options are great for people who are considering buying the new hardware models they're announcing in this week's Direct lol
And the ZOOM feature will be perfect for the Switch Micro

DimwittedDecimalHornedviper-small.gif

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nintendo dropping that VR mode for Botw and Odyssey same day as financial earnings. Furukawa will definitely talk about it and hint at more VR mode support coming, maybe.

Deleted member 2793

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If they just make a Smash Direct I won't even bother watching. Would be dumb to release Mario Maker 2 without any other Direct appearance, that's more interesting than an update to a 4 months old game.

Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo
MUA has always been a beat-em-up
I mean, that's pretty much what the first two games in the series were, right

I think

I've never played them, so I'm honestly not sure
Fair enough. I'd probably feel similarly if I didn't recently play a bit of the first MUA with a friend. It's a pretty generic game that leans heavily on the license. Not bad like a lot of licensed games are, but nothing special, imo.

Yes and that was exactly my point actually. They went the easy route and licensed a minor marvel game series; even here, not many people seem interested in the game, judging by the lists. It'll probably do decently and will be easily forgotten.
Sony went for a high risk high reward approach with Spiderman, hence my comparison.

Deleted member 2793

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yes and that was exactly my point actually. They went the easy route and licensed a minor marvel game series; even here, not many people seem interested in the game, judging by the lists. It'll probably do decently and will be easily forgotten.
Sony went for a high risk high reward approach with Spiderman, hence my comparison.
If I wanted first party licensed AAA games I would be on the PS4 or Xbox threads. Would be a waste of money to me to make that instead of Nintendo franchises or interesting new concepts like Astral Chain.

Noppie

Oct 27, 2017
Do we even know how this Marvel game came to Switch? How the deal was made?

Also, 'even here'. Again, Era is a horrible demographic to determine interest in games for the masses.

Oct 31, 2017
Yes I fully agree there will be more VR support for Labo Vr now , I hear it is getting really difficult to get hold of it. I was *blown away* by the balster game and how well the gun reacted I would go as far as saying the blaster game with aliens was just below the resolution of ps4 OG.

Deleted member 2793

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
good for you. Some of us like diversity. Others have an active life which prevents them from owning a tethered console.
Well, cool, but Nintendo literally has no recent history of doing this (licensed AAA games) and never said they would start doing it -- if anything it was obvious it wouldn't happen with this being a portable system and underpowered in comparison to the already established AAA consoles.

Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo
Well, cool, but Nintendo literally has no recent history of doing this (licensed AAA games) and never said they would start doing it -- if anything it was obvious it wouldn't happen with this being a portable system and underpowered in comparison to the already established AAA consoles.

They sold the switch as an hybrid console; hybrid literally means bringing your home console games on the go, with obvious compromises; and that's what they've been trying to do, and why we receive games like Doom or Hellblade.
You want to call it portable to excuse its shortcomings, but it's up to you. The Switch is an hybrid.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
Er you don't think a local multiplayer, family friendly game coming out around the same time as one of the (presumably) biggest grossing films of all time is going to do well? I loved Spider-Man but c'mon dude.

@dedmunk

Banned
Oct 11, 2018
Er you don't think a local multiplayer, family friendly game coming out around the same time as one of the (presumably) biggest grossing films of all time is going to do well? I loved Spider-Man but c'mon dude.

You think UA3 is coming out next week?

There is very little hype for UA3. I am keen for them to show it off a bit more. I don't think it'll be coming any time soon.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
You think UA3 is coming out next week?

There is very little hype for UA3. I am keen for them to show it off a bit more. I don't think it'll be coming any time soon.
Summer -> around the same time...

There's very little hype here sure, but I think it's going to pick up a much wider audience than Era. We'll see I suppose.

Simba1

Dec 5, 2017
I'm expecting a bit more than that honestly; I think they'll point out that Odyssey and BotW are releasing that day, and then specifically name drop two or three more games receiving VR support in the future (including Mario Kart).

I hope you are right but I doubt, they rearly bringed game names in advance last few times.
Also, this seems actualy in line with what they said couple of times now, that they will bring updates/features to some existing games which will make those games keep playing and having extra value.

Gearkeeper 8A

Oct 27, 2017
They sold the switch as an hybrid console; hybrid literally means bringing your home console games on the go, with obvious compromises; and that's what they've been trying to do, and why we receive games like Doom or Hellblade.
You want to call it portable to excuse its shortcomings, but it's up to you. The Switch is an hybrid.
Sony owns the the rights of the movies of Spiderman, and they have experience with the ip, it doesn't make sense for Nintendo to invest triple AAA money on ips that they can't control and considering that for a game of that size they would have to use various external studios or a big studio that can eat their resources, then that a big no for a company with relative small workforce like Nintendo.

Deleted member 11276

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If I wanted first party licensed AAA games I would be on the PS4 or Xbox threads. Would be a waste of money to me to make that instead of Nintendo franchises or interesting new concepts like Astral Chain.
I would prefer buying third party AAA games on Switch instead of the other consoles anyday. I don't care about washed out graphics, it's just so much more comfortable to play on the Switch and not being tethered to a TV or monitor.

Clov

Oct 25, 2017
Frankly, Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3 is just small time. Nintendo needs to step up their game if they want to compete with the likes of PS4's Spiderman. There's definitely a point to be made that Nintendo needs to have a bigger focus on first party licensed titles.

If we look to the past, we can see that Nintendo used to do this, with smash hits like Hello Kitty World on Famicom, and Shigeru Miyamoto's Hamtaro: Ham-Hams Unite on Gameboy Color. It's about time that Nintendo returned to the licensed game realm in a BIG way, and the only way to get bigger than Marvel...

Is a AAA, open world Hello Kitty game by Monolith Soft and the BotW team. A sweeping orchestrated soundtrack accompanies Hello Kitty as she explores a pastel colored landscape, on an adventure to make friends with dozens of other Sanrio characters. It would be the biggest game the Switch would ever get.

Deleted member 2793

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Frankly, Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3 is just small time. Nintendo needs to step up their game if they want to compete with the likes of PS4's Spiderman. There's definitely a point to be made that Nintendo needs to have a bigger focus on first party licensed titles.

If we look to the past, we can see that Nintendo used to do this, with smash hits like Hello Kitty World on Famicom, and Shigeru Miyamoto's Hamtaro: Ham-Hams Unite on Gameboy Color. It's about time that Nintendo returned to the licensed game realm in a BIG way, and the only way to get bigger than Marvel...

Is a AAA, open world Hello Kitty game by Monolith Soft and the BotW team. A sweeping orchestrated soundtrack accompanies Hello Kitty as she explores a pastel colored landscape, on an adventure to make friends with dozens of other Sanrio characters. It would be the biggest game the Switch would ever get.
Now this is an idea I can get behind.

Hello Kitty is bigger than Marvel too, as it's the second biggest media franchise in the world. It's just fair that it gets the best treatment!

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia

or Kitty White could just return in Super Mario Maker 2

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
I am still convinced that a Direct is coming soon. Lots of Spring/Summer games need to be dated or/and showcased.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
How about a Mario Maker + Smash Direct, like the ARMS + Splatoon 2 Direct in 2017?
They have to talk about more games than just Mario Maker and Smash imo.

The ARMS + Splatoon Direct was a month after a General Direct.

Another way to put it : if there are no General Direct before E3, 2019 will have the least amount of Nintendo Direct/Showcase before E3 since Switch launch despite being the busiest year in terms of releases :

2017 : January big presentation + April Direct + Dedicated Direct
2018 : Mini Direct + March Direct

That doesn't add up imo

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They have to talk about more games than just Mario Maker and Smash imo.

The ARMS + Splatoon Direct was a month after a General Direct.

Another way to put it : if there are no General Direct before E3, 2019 will have the least amount of Nintendo Direct/Showcase before E3 since Switch launch despite being the busiest year in terms of releases :

2017 : January big presentation + April Direct + Dedicated Direct
2018 : Mini Direct + March Direct

That doesn't add up imo
A Smash + Mario Maker 2 Direct and a Mini Direct is fine with me.

Status
Not open for further replies.