• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Why would individual saves matter for a "portable only" system? Wouldn't that be beneficial for any type of Switch?

Lintendo

Sep 11, 2018
So, you Guys are expecting a Direct this Week?

maxresdefault.jpg

Bowser

Nov 7, 2017
It's weird they haven't announced the Mario Maker bundles yet, they're probably waiting for the Direct. Maybe it'll be bundled with a new model and they are waiting for its announcement first? I think Nintendo will want to promote the new models with its big games this year and Mario Maker is probably top 3 next to SwSh and AC.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia
I want to believe in something happening this week (as with every other week, lol), but i'm not repeating the January cycle of getting my hopes up every week again.

The February Direct had enough to keep me going through March, but i'm feeling the thirst now.

Forkball

Oct 25, 2017
You're crazy if you think a Direct isn't being announced in five hours. I honestly can't imagine someone more wrong. If a person told me the ocean was made of cheese, they would be more correct than a Direct denier. I am preemptively blocking people who I even THINK might doubt this week's Direct.

Bowser

Nov 7, 2017
Why would individual saves matter for a "portable only" system? Wouldn't that be beneficial for any type of Switch?

Yeah, I think it's simply an extension of the already existing feature of transfering all save files. It points to a revision tho but more like an improved model that will make people get a second Switch. A portable only model wouldnt probably aimed at people that already own a Switch.

Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo
Another way to put it : if there are no General Direct before E3, 2019 will have the least amount of Nintendo Direct/Showcase before E3 since Switch launch despite being the busiest year in terms of releases :

2017 : January big presentation + April Direct + Dedicated Direct
2018 : Mini Direct + March Direct

That doesn't add up imo

You are 100% right; yet, I think they do not care. They'll have a focused direct on MM2 and call it a day.
In all fairness, the last February direct was packed with new stuff. Arguable more than the Mini+General Direct which we had last year. In that context, 2019 may have less directs, but overall more quality stuff being shown. And I'm fine with that, direct are just glorified advertisements (enjoyable nevertheless). But in the end, we all agree that what matters is the games we get.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
You are 100% right; yet, I think they do not care. They'll have a focused direct on MM2 and call it a day.
In all fairness, the last February direct was packed with new stuff. Arguable more than the Mini+General Direct which we had last year. In that context, 2019 may have less directs, but overall more quality stuff being shown. And I'm fine with that, direct are just glorified advertisements (enjoyable nevertheless). But in the end, we all agree that what matters is the games we get.
I know we are already spoiled imo, last Direct was great and so was the Nintendo showcase.

However I disagree on your first point. Nintendo does Directs in order to maximize their software sales. They are going to push hard their multi-million selling games and notably their 1st party games. Right now, a lot of them coming soon are lacking a release date (Cadence of Hyrule, Super Mario Maker 2, DxM and Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3).

Theorymon

Oct 25, 2017
So with people arguing we need a Super Mario Maker 2 direct: What's stopping Nintendo from just releasing Super Mario Maker 2 late in June, and having a major part of E3 dedicated to it?

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia
I know we are already spoiled imo, last Direct was great and so was the Nintendo showcase.

However I disagree on your first point. Nintendo does Directs in order to maximize their software sales. They are going to push hard their multi-million selling games and notably their 1st party games. Right now, a lot of them coming soon are lacking a release date (Cadence of Hyrule, Super Mario Maker 2, DxM and Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3).
Right; the lack of a date for Cadence is very strange, since it's set to release in the next two months. Unless they were going to spotlight it in a full direct (with a bigger audience) I don't see why we didn't get a date from the initial reveal.

Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo

Indeed, but what seems to me to be the limiting factor is the amount of new software they could show on a Direct; even if they indeed need to advertise their upcoming games, directs always have a minimum amount of new content to show. 2019 is already very good; we know that they'll show new stuff at E3 and most probably around September. Having another direct on top of that would surprise me. If they indeed planned an April direct, I would have expected them to keep the Link's Awakening announcement for that one, to spread a little bit more the big stuff.
I would not be surprised if they did a kind of twitter direct by dropping trailers and release dates in the course of the week.

Now, I hope to be completely wrong and that Nintendo still has tons of stuff to announce for 2019. I just don't expect anything until E3.

Charamiwa

Oct 25, 2017
That Persona concert will be the death of me I swear. If they're truly waiting for some NicoNico exclusive Atlus thing to release details about a Smash DLC on Twitter, then my god is Nintendo nice to Atlus, to an absurd extent.

Personally I don't buy it for a second. I don't believe in this kind of one-sided synergy between Nintendo and a third party for something as big as Smash marketing.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia
So with people arguing we need a Super Mario Maker 2 direct: What's stopping Nintendo from just releasing Super Mario Maker 2 late in June, and having a major part of E3 dedicated to it?
Pre-orders, plus more advertising and mindshare before it releases.

Remember when Yoshi has it's release date revealed in January and then still got showcased in the February Direct anyway? It was for a reason.

weekev

Is this a test?
Oct 25, 2017
They have to talk about more games than just Mario Maker and Smash imo.

The ARMS + Splatoon Direct was a month after a General Direct.

Another way to put it : if there are no General Direct before E3, 2019 will have the least amount of Nintendo Direct/Showcase before E3 since Switch launch despite being the busiest year in terms of releases :

That doesn't add up imo
Maybe the strategy is to put more emphasis on e3? With Sony not showing up and some Microsoft partnership info planned, it's a good opportunity to have a captive audience to pitch to that they don't normally get the opportunity through a direct.

V_ac

Avenger
Jul 2, 2018
I don't think we need a Mario Maker 2 direct, but if E3 is the next time the game is going to be shown then that means Nintendo is waiting until at least two weeks before the game releases to start advertising it. Seems pretty clear we're going to see it again at least once before E3, regardless of how we see it again.

Bowser

Nov 7, 2017
Pre-orders, previews, reviewers will be playing the game already by the time of E3, etc

They won't start promoting one of its biggest games on Switch just two weeks before.

Resetti

Oct 25, 2017
That'd left them at most 2 weeks to market the big new features.

I don't expect a dedicated direct but I think it's reasonable to expect news before E3

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
That Persona concert will be the death of me I swear. If they're truly waiting for some NicoNico exclusive Atlus thing to release details about a Smash DLC on Twitter, then my god is Nintendo nice to Atlus, to an absurd extent.

Personally I don't buy it for a second. I don't believe in this kind of one-sided synergy between Nintendo and a third party for something as big as Smash marketing.
I think people mentioned that the update would be announced around a week before to give time to save your replays.

Meaning, this week could be the week of the announcement with Joker releasing on the 24th/25th.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Can someone explain this whole "save your replays" in Smash and giving people a week heads up? Do replays get deleted or something with a new Smash update?

V_ac

Avenger
Jul 2, 2018
Can someone explain this whole "save your replays" in Smash and giving people a week heads up? Do replays get deleted or something with a new Smash update?
Replays stop working whenever characters get buffed/nerfed due to how replays work in Smash Bros. Since 3.0 is almost certainly going to come with character changes they need to give people a heads up to save their replays.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia
Replays are saved as button inputs by the game, so when balance patches come out they become unusable. Luckily, they have the option to convert them to mp4 files so they can permanently saved.

jariw

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I think it's simply an extension of the already existing feature of transfering all save files. It points to a revision tho but more like an improved model that will make people get a second Switch. A portable only model wouldnt probably aimed at people that already own a Switch.

Combined with the zoom feature, I think it might very well point to a portable-only Switch, or a Switch with smaller screen at least.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
They have to talk about more games than just Mario Maker and Smash imo.

The ARMS + Splatoon Direct was a month after a General Direct.

That doesn't add up imo

I mean really what do they have to announce that can't wait for E3? More ports?

H1 is pretty carved out at this point. There isn't going to be anything until Mario Maker 2 and Fire Emblem. A Mario Maker 2/Smash double header Direct makes a fair amount of sense because both have more pressing info to announce than games in the post-July bracket.

I think the General Direct pre-E3 is dead if we don't get one this week.

Moltres006

Banned
Jan 5, 2019
Well, they did provide info for their 2 previous June titles (ARMS and Tennis Aces) months before their release. I guess people here are assuming Ninty will do the same for Mario Maker 2.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They stop working because the game saves them as button inputs, but you have the option to save them as video later.
Replays stop working whenever characters get buffed/nerfed due to how replays work in Smash Bros. Since 3.0 is almost certainly going to come with character changes they need to give people a heads up to save their replays.
Replays are saved as button inputs by the game, so when balance patches come out they become unusable. Luckily, they have the option to convert them to mp4 files so they can permanently saved.

I see. Thanks

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Emily still seems very confident in Pikmin 3 coming this year 100%. It's the only thing that bothers me. I mean if we get a Pikmin 3 + Pikmin 4 reveal at E3, I'll be happy with that. That's the only way I see it working at E3.

Brofield

Oct 25, 2017
I see it more like : You unlocked all in MK8 and Smash with your relative. When they will have their own switch, they can take the saves instead of doing all again.
I believe the patch notes suggested that it will delete the individual's user save data after the transfer from the original switch, so it all depends on if they're the save file to use with all the unlocks (probably again to prevent clones in games like Pokemon)

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
In 2013 Nintendo had a Direct on February 14 (this year February 13). Then they had a direct on April 17 in 2013...this year it would be on April 18 if we got a Direct this week.

The year of 2013 repeating itself for 2019? 2013 was also the "Year of Luigi".

This year we have NSMBU Deluxe + NSLU in January. Super Mario Maker 2 looks like Luigi will be playable. Luigi's Mansion 3 releases later this year...wow

I'm half joking about it being a repeat of 2013 btw.

Deleted member 37151

Account closed at user request
Banned
Jan 1, 2018
Frankly, Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3 is just small time. Nintendo needs to step up their game if they want to compete with the likes of PS4's Spiderman. There's definitely a point to be made that Nintendo needs to have a bigger focus on first party licensed titles.

If we look to the past, we can see that Nintendo used to do this, with smash hits like Hello Kitty World on Famicom, and Shigeru Miyamoto's Hamtaro: Ham-Hams Unite on Gameboy Color. It's about time that Nintendo returned to the licensed game realm in a BIG way, and the only way to get bigger than Marvel...

Is a AAA, open world Hello Kitty game by Monolith Soft and the BotW team. A sweeping orchestrated soundtrack accompanies Hello Kitty as she explores a pastel colored landscape, on an adventure to make friends with dozens of other Sanrio characters. It would be the biggest game the Switch would ever get.

Will I be able to play as Gudetama?

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia
In 2013 Nintendo had a Direct on February 14 (this year February 13). Then they had a direct on April 17 in 2013...this year it would be on April 18 if we got a Direct this week.

The year of 2013 repeating itself for 2019? 2013 was also the year of Luigi. We got NSMBU Deluxe + NSLU in January. Super Mario Maker 2 looks like Luigi will be playable. Luigi's Mansion 3 releases later this year...wow

I'm half joking about it being a repeat of 2013 btw.
Don't forget about my chart (which is really outdated now; this thing is from December).
79GFkKf.png

Kevin360

OG Direct OP
Oct 25, 2017
Nobody is talking about MPT for this year anymore, but I must have missed Emily's confidence in Pikmin 3.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
How come? I think it'd be a good announcement. And if it's not announced then Pikmin 3 would have to be announced before E3 I think. King Zell and Emily has been on the mark with pretty much everything else for 2019.

I doubt Pikmin 3 and 4 would be announced simultaneously. 2019 is absolutely stacked as is. At best I could see Pikmin 4 be announced for a fall Direct.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia
Nobody is talking about MPT for this year anymore, but I must have missed Emily's confidence in Pikmin 3.
Well, she said she was just about 100% confident in the 2013 Wii U port releasing this year, and we know that said port is Pikmin 3 thanks to Zell.

She might've also said it was Pikmin 3 herself, but I don't remember that.

Status
Not open for further replies.