• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I know it's been talked about to death in OT 1 and this one, but I kinda agree with some people saying Nintendo's line up feeling weak this year.

And this is only a personal feeling, as I'm not excited for Mario Maker (I will probably buy it anyway), Fire Emblem (the school setting is weird to me), Astral Chain (see the appeal, but not my cup of tea), Animal Crossing (my wife is excited), Luigi's Mansion (just not excited, but might be when they actually reveal more).

I sound like a negative Nancy right now, because even Pokémon isn't pulling me in this year. The only definite buy for me this year on my Switch is Link's Awakening.

All of that being said, it's gonna be okay. I'll probably buy more than I expect to, and enjoy more than I expect as well.

Just wanted to feel the hype of 2017 again. It only took two titles, BOTW and Odyssey, to make the whole year shine for me.

I don't know why I'm typing this out, but my wife doesn't want to hear it again, that's for sure. What's a gaming enthusiast forum (and a Nintendo Direct hype cycle thread) for if not for this?
Ugh "weak year". I get you don't like it, but it still irks me to see people say it's "weak" when it's far from that.

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
I know it's been talked about to death in OT 1 and this one, but I kinda agree with some people saying Nintendo's line up feeling weak this year.

And this is only a personal feeling, as I'm not excited for Mario Maker (I will probably buy it anyway), Fire Emblem (the school setting is weird to me), Astral Chain (see the appeal, but not my cup of tea), Animal Crossing (my wife is excited), Luigi's Mansion (just not excited, but might be when they actually reveal more).

I sound like a negative Nancy right now, because even Pokémon isn't pulling me in this year. The only definite buy for me this year on my Switch is Link's Awakening.

All of that being said, it's gonna be okay. I'll probably buy more than I expect to, and enjoy more than I expect as well.

Just wanted to feel the hype of 2017 again. It only took two titles, BOTW and Odyssey, to make the whole year shine for me.

I don't know why I'm typing this out, but my wife doesn't want to hear it again, that's for sure. What's a gaming enthusiast forum (and a Nintendo Direct hype cycle thread) for if not for this?
Its much, much better than last year

Wander_

Banned
Feb 26, 2018

I know you say "nintendo" but 3rd party games exist and you can buy them. mortal kombat, Doom eternal, dragon quest xi, crash team racing, god eater 3 and so on.

OP
OP
Oct 25, 2017
It's funny though, even with the "weak" Q1 it doesn't seem to have hurt them at all sales wise. Hardware sales have been really strong and we're about to see how good software sales were for the quarter this week.

The pacing for the year is definitely weird (VERY lopsided towards the latter half) but it doesn't seem like it was a mistake for Nintendo.

Personally speaking though, I don't mind the more quiet half year. There's been a ton of releases that I've been able to appreciate so far in 2019, from Nintendo's two platformers in NSMBU Deluxe and Yoshi's Crafted World, to tons of great third party releases (Cuphead, Baba is You, Katana Zero, Travis Strikes Again, Wargroove, and Ace Attorney Trilogy just to name some of what I've personally played, there's even more stuff I haven't touched). Plus I've really dug into my backlog and played a lot of great stuff that's been unplayed from the last two years. Oh, and Tetris 99 came out of course. No real shortage of games to play!

Anyway, from June onwards Nintendo is publishing more games than there are months, and there's bound to be a couple unannounced stuff for 2019 at E3 as well. We'll be swimming in first party games soon enough. Sure there's no equivalent to BOTW and Odyssey, but they have a LOT lined up. As it stands the lineup is Cadence of Hyrule, Super Mario Maker 2, Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3, Fire Emblem: Three Houses, Astral Chain, Link's Awakening, Luigi's Mansion 3, Pokémon Sword/Shield, and Animal Crossing, with Nintendo also publishing Daemon x Machina and Dragon Quest XI S in the west too.

Last edited:

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'd like to make a comparison later. 2017 had the big games in Botw and Odyssey, but 2019 possibly has more variety of very good to great games that will appeal to me. No, they may not be GOTY candidates like Botw and Odyssey, but I don't need that.

jariw

Oct 27, 2017

If the only Nintendo title you want to buy this year is a remake of an old portable title, you probably just don't like the idea of new Nintendo games.

Bowser

Nov 7, 2017
I'd like to make a comparison later. 2017 had the big games in Botw and Odyssey, but 2019 possibly has more variety of very good to great games that will appeal to me. No, they may not be GOTY candidates like Botw and Odyssey, but I don't need that.
The amount of games we're getting this year is crazy. I'm expecting GOTY candidates in 2020.

Deleted member 11626

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm really not sure how these threads keep circling the same pastures over and over, in regards to a perceived drought. Why does Sony get to have a first party drought, go radio silent for months, and then skip the biggest gaming convention of the year? The reason Nintendo has gotten better about bringing in third parties and indies is so they don't have to release two titles every month. No console manufacturer has the first party output that Nintendo does, given any period of time in the Switch lifespan vs the other two. There is no shortage of stuff to play on Switch

Some random insider is not enough. Unless one of our legit insiders back it up, I'll assume Erdirck thing is dead. You're free to believe him, though.

Let's be honest, Erdrick is super niche character, compared to Joker or other past DLC characters. Yeah, it's a super popular character among older Japanese fans but do we really think Nintendo would choose DLC characters catered for specific regions? Like, if Japan gets Erdrick, what could Europe or US get catered for them? I still think that idea is unlikely, if the second SE rep is really a DQ one, it should be more popular DQ11 protagonist, similar to Persona 5 choice. Maybe it's DQ11 Protag with Erdrick echo? Who knows.

You're asking if Nintendo, a Japanese company, would release a DLC character that caters to a Japanese niche, in a Japanese fighter with a roster comprised entirely of Japanese-made icons?

Guaraná

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
brazil, unfortunately
I'm really not sure how these threads keep circling the same pastures over and over, in regards to a perceived drought. Why does Sony get to have a first party drought, go radio silent for months, and then skip the biggest gaming convention of the year?

Playstation consoles have a huge third party support whereas the Switch doesn't.

Therefore Sony can go radio silence and people still has a lot to play on their system

Forkball

Oct 25, 2017
Imagine thinking we are not mere hours away from a Direct announcement.

Imagine living in ignorance.

PrincessZelda

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I have prayed to the goddess of power.

I have prayed to the goddess of wisdom.

I have prayed to the goddess of courage.

Today we shall reset the clocks! I feel it.

andresmoros

Oct 29, 2017
Houston
Wait, there is actual speculation about a Nintendo direct happening this week? Why do you guys do this to yourselves? Y'all are setting yourselves for disappointment.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Good to know! Thanks :)
Financial earnings is a big deal and there's no reason for a Direct. All we have left, legitimately, is Mario Maker 2. That's it. There could be a specific Mario Maker 2 Direct or maybe a Mini/Micro Direct before E3, but that's all.

Mario Maker 2 could just get updates on its website and a YouTube video drop that's like a "direct" like Smash just got.

Kevin360

OG Direct OP
Oct 25, 2017
I tried to be as clear as possible that my feeling of a weak year is 100% personal. Most of my reasons for not being excited are silly and shallow, but I can't help that I'm just not.

Might just be an off gaming year for me. Just hasn't happened since 2010.

PrincessZelda

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I tried to be as clear as possible that my feeling of a weak year is 100% personal. Most of my reasons for not being excited are silly and shallow, but I can't help that I'm just not.

Might just be an off gaming year for me. Just hasn't happened since 2010.

It's ok to not feel excited. I think Nintendo hasn't done a very good job at hyping their games up this year though. Mario Maker is between 6 to 10 weeks out and we have gotten absolutely no marketing for it. We are in the dark regarding Luigi's Mansion and Animal Crossing, some have no idea what changes are being made in order to get us excited for them.

My most anticipated game is the one in my series :).

Wijuci

Jan 16, 2018
So, what are the chances Nintendo is now on a three Directs a year schedule?

February - early June (E3) - late September

That's one Direct every four months.
The first one for the Spring and Summer announcement.
The second one for Summer and Fall.
Last one for the end of the year.

Just put Twitter directs in-between and you don't really need any other Direct, do you?

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
April has been a massive money and timesink for me. Katana Zero, SteamWorld Quest and Dragon's Dogma are already (re)bought and I am in the mood to replay Final Fantasy XII and Cuphead. It's a good thing that no more games are coming out...

*looks at release list*

tumblr_pdply2BiKI1rpf3pso8_400.gif

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia
Well hey, that PuyoPuyo announcement happened officially now.

Weird that someone would have access to the trailer and just come out and leak in on Twitter. Imagine if that happened for a Smash newcomer trailer, lol.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So, what are the chances Nintendo is now on a three Directs a year schedule?

February - early June (E3) - late September

That's one Direct every four months.
The first one for the Spring and Summer announcement.
The second one for Summer and Fall.
Last one for the end of the year.

Just put Twitter directs in-between and you don't really need any other Direct, do you?
I don't think so. I think the way things timed it worked where Nintendo only needed one direct. We could still get another direct of some kind before E3. Either way I don't see this as the trend.

Kevin360

OG Direct OP
Oct 25, 2017
On all of the "but what about all of the third party games" talk, that's great, I love that the Switch is getting support, but I will always buy a third party title for my Xbox One X before I buy it for Switch, with some exceptions for Indie games.

Been playing a lot of Hollow Knight and loving Cuphead recently, and will probably buy Spyro again if it comes to Switch. Even though I own Ori on Xbox already, I still haven't played it and will probably buy it and actually play it on Switch (if it is actually coming).

Nov 3, 2017
I will never understand how people whine that there are software droughts and then in the same breath go onto say that they will buy third party titles on other devices.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I will never understand how people whine that there are software droughts and then in the same breath go onto say that they will buy third party titles on other devices.
Yep. "The Switch has droughts"...but there are third party games. "Oh I buy those on other systems"...so that magically means 3rd party games that come to Switch don't count because they're multiplat?

What does that make the Xbox One since multiplats shouldn't count there either? PS4 not looking so good since I can buy Kingdom Hearts 3 and DMCV on Xbox. Those games don't count for PS4.

Kevin360

OG Direct OP
Oct 25, 2017
A little passive aggressive, but that's okay. I'll survive.

I just said a few posts up that I'm having an off year, and might just be in a personal drought with the hobby as a whole.

@dedmunk

Banned
Oct 11, 2018
A lot of the Switch multiplats (and some first party games) are older ports though. Games like Darksiders, Dragons Dogma, Phoenix Wright, Cuphead etc its easy to see why people may have already purchased those on other platforms.

AllEchse

Oct 29, 2017
Some people don't calue portability as much as to tolerate a hit in graphical fidelity.
On Indies you don't notice it as much or they aren't as taxing on the hardware si the Switch handles without compromises so they are perfect for Switch :^)

People just want games that justify the hardware.
If the 3rd party games would have to take less compromises and were closer to the other plattform releases those people would more likely to get them on Switch.
Not that that is my mindset
I haven't even finiahed BotW yet.

Nov 3, 2017
When it comes to Nintendo platforms, people always continuously shift the goalposts to push a negative narrative. It's so tiring

We get an amazing selection of first party titles (aka 3D Zelda and Mario)? Oh well, there aren't any good third party games so that sucks.

We get first party titles that aren't 3D Zelda or Mario? Well these games aren't FOR ME. I want the heavy hitters!!!

Third party games come out? Oh well I already played these! Alternatively, oh well WHY would I buy this on an inferior platform when I can play this on my $10k PC or PS4 Pro?

Sieglinde

Feb 20, 2019
A little passive aggressive, but that's okay. I'll survive.

I just said a few posts up that I'm having an off year, and might just be in a personal drought with the hobby as a whole.
Then you should have said that from the beginning instead of saying Nintendo is having a weak year when it's simply not true.

Status
Not open for further replies.