• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I mean let's be honest how can you make F-Zero succeed in today's environment at $60? Do you think just make a new one as is would do well because Switch would push sales?

I kind of joke about Retro doing one, but maybe Nintendo could use a different take for the series and I could see them being able to do it in the future. Miyamoto doesn't see anymore growth in the series. So you have to start thinking about what kind of changes you could make for the series to grow.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I still hold on that Retro has a second game coming because of some sound designers they brought in June 2017. I felt like they were brought in to work on the second game. The guys resume prior to being at Retro is working on Prey and Recore. He has his own company (more like a freelancer). I don't think he'd still hang out at Retro if he wasn't working on something. He could be working on MP4 now, but wouldn't have been brought in for that in 2017.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
I still hold on that Retro has a second game coming because of some sound designers they brought in June 2017. I felt like they were brought in to work on the second game. The guys resume prior to being at Retro is working on Prey and Recore. He has his own company (more like a freelancer). I don't think he'd still hang out at Retro if he wasn't working on something. He could be working on MP4 now, but wouldn't have been brought in for that in 2017.
I mean...prey and recore sound design kind of fits metroid prime. And in June 2017, they were likely right in early stages of the now scrapped game, so it fits perfectly.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I mean let's be honest how can you make F-Zero succeed in today's environment at $60? Do you think just make a new one as is would do well because Switch would push sales?

I kind of joke about Retro doing one, but maybe Nintendo could use a different take for the series and I could see them being able to do it in the future. Miyamoto doesn't see anymore growth in the series. So you have to start thinking about what kind of changes you could make for the series to grow.

Ever since I saw someone suggest it in a thread ages ago I think an F-Zero game developed by the Yakuza team would be amazing. Have the racing as a mode on the main menu for those who just want that, but include a massive story mode with an explorable space station, fist fights, and bounty hunt missions. They made a Fist of the North Star game, so they're up for licenses.

Also several staff members also worked on GX so they even have the pedigree. They were even praised for pulling it off so quickly and at the budget they were given.

So yeah, give it back to Sega, let them go all out, let me falcon punch in an actual F-Zero game, we're golden.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I mean...prey and recore sound design kind of fits metroid prime. And in June 2017, they were likely right in early stages of the now scrapped game, so it fits perfectly.
Maybe. It could've been 2D Metroid they were brought in for.

Ever since I saw someone suggest it in a thread ages ago I think an F-Zero game developed by the Yakuza team would be amazing. Have the racing as a mode on the main menu for those who just want that, but include a massive story mode with an explorable space station, fist fights, and bounty hunt missions. They made a Fist of the North Star game, so they're up for licenses.

Also several staff members also worked on GX so they even have the pedigree. They were even praised for pulling it off so quickly and at the budget they were given.

So yeah, give it back to Sega, let them go all out, let me falcon punch in an actual F-Zero game, we're golden.
Man I would love this. As long as like you said there's still a racing mode then everyone should be happy. The "couldn't change Nintendo on something even once" was funny.

Nintendo's guidelines and strictness can hurt them when it comes to making their own games. It's actually really good for them to give their IP's out to other companies

Last edited:

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Retro just added 3 more positions they're hiring for today.

- Senior Material Artist
- Senior Designer
- Environment Designer

What's a Material Artist? What do they do?

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

- Senior Material Artist
- Senior Designer
- Environment Designer

they do texture work. creating textures for bespoke assets, tileable textures for reuse, etc

Substance is a major tool suite, but there's also Quixel

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017

- Senior Material Artist
- Senior Designer
- Environment Designer

They make materials. Basically design textures, specular maps, normal maps and the like which together form a material which is applied to 3D objects.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Actually is the XIII trilogy on PS4 and Xbox One? Because they may be waiting to announce for all (and/or next gen since that's coming up)

The trilogy is backwards compatible on XO, and there's even 4K support, but chances are they'd still get a collection if one is released.

I could see XIII Trilogy launching next year as something of a stopgap between FFVII Remake and the next consoles coming out, personally.

Momo

Oct 25, 2017
I'm all for more DK games by Retro.

I still want a successor to DK64 though. I have a bad habit of liking games with no sequel it seems. :'(

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
i think people want something, anything from retro just so they know retro has something to show for the past 5 or 6 years. at this point i'd even take a visual novel.

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
It is surprising and disappointing that the engine running BOTW is being used only for BOTW more than 2 years after its release.
other Internal nintendo games wouldn't necessarily even benefit from using the BOTW engine. No current game would benefit from that that physics engine versus the cost of the months or years to implement it. On a much lesser budget and man power than BOTW.

just because an engine is "good" for the game it released in, doesn't suddnly make the engine ideal for every type of game and IP

And also because an engine is already made, doesn't mean making another IP in that engine is some easy transition.

Christo750

May 10, 2018
We are getting close to that time, aren't we?

Early September is my guess.

I'm all for more DK games by Retro.

I still want a successor to DK64 though. I have a bad habit of liking games with no sequel it seems. :'(
Retro's DKC games are what solidified them as an amazing studio to me. That their attempt at a 2D platformer was as good as their 3D FPS Metroid games, lead me to believe these devs have a lot more up their sleeves.

Here's hoping we get to see one more before Prime 4. Though, it's not looking likely.

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
Not a precise month, but since Aonuma said that BOTW2 grew out of the ideas for DLC for BOTW, then that puts the inception of BOTW2 very close to the finish of BOTW (since writers were probably brainstorming DLC ideas before BOTW released). As such, BOTW2 development may have started as soon as very soon after BOTW launch, but at the latest I would think that it started development at the start of 2018. That gives anywhere between 2.8-3.5 years of development if we target a November 2020 release date.

not directed at you, but in general I don't think we should always tkae the "borne out of DLC thing" explicitly word for word for certain mega franchises.
I think it's more a general, "we were thinking of stuff before we started working on the next game, and will try to add them"

botw was never getting a 2nd round of major DLC 2-3 years after release of the first game imo.
It was always going to be a sequel.

DLC doesn't always have the retention rate we think for SP games, especially years and years after release.
A 2nd round of huge DLC would be a waste of money (for BOTW)

I know Galaxy 2 was originally started as a Galaxy 1.5 or Galaxy More, but that was kind of different due to the time, and that Galaxy didn't have DLC.

Deleted member 33571

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 17, 2017
I've been saying this for like a year and a half now but this time I really have a good feeling that Kentucky Route Zero release info will be in the next Nindie presentation.....it's definitely coming soon if nothing else

Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo
other Internal nintendo games wouldn't necessarily even benefit from using the BOTW engine. No current game would benefit from that that physics engine versus the cost of the months or years to implement it. On a much lesser budget and man power than BOTW.

just because an engine is "good" for the game it released in, doesn't suddnly make the engine ideal for every type of game and IP

And also because an engine is already made, doesn't mean making another IP in that engine is some easy transition.

I wasn't referring existing Nintendo IP. It's just that having such tool and using it for 1 game only is disappointing. Nintendo could have taken this opportunity to develop a new single player IP; or even multiplayer.

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
I wasn't referring existing Nintendo IP. It's just that having such tool and using it for 1 game only is disappointing. Nintendo could have taken this opportunity to develop a new single player IP; or even multiplayer.
they may, they may not.
It's only been 2 1/2 years. We don't know how it will be used in the future.

on one hand, the Zelda team knows the engine so theoretically, they would be the best candidates. (edit: or monoliftsoft you'd suppose)
But they're making BOTW2

if it's another team, they have to spend the time learning the engine before making their game.
Which may make the project not even worth it.

We can't assume every engine is UE4, which is literally made to be used by others, and made for ease of use.
And UE4 was made to be sold and monitised.

We don't know about BOTW's ease of use. An unfamiliar team with it may make the game worse. (even the main team had trobule lol)

Frostbyte didn't help Mass Effect.

Last edited:

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
time to speculate Next Level's next game. I still think they're assisting on Metroid Prime 4

Champion

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Tampa, FL
I think they're doing what they did with VIII. Wait until what they promised releases, then shift marketing to the next one.

Actually is the XIII trilogy on PS4 and Xbox One? Because they may be waiting to announce for all (and/or next gen since that's coming up)
You can only play them via BC on Xbox One :( and I think SE allowing that means we won't get remasters soon. I dont need remasters for them though...Trilogy + All DLC for $60 and I'd pull the trigger.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've been saying this for like a year and a half now but this time I really have a good feeling that Kentucky Route Zero release info will be in the next Nindie presentation.....it's definitely coming soon if nothing else
I've been waiting to buy that game the day they showed it in the Nindies Showcase and it feels like years have gone by with nothing new

Lintendo

Sep 11, 2018
Soo I wasn't keeping up with this Thread in a long Time.. but. is there any rumor about a new Nintendo Direct?

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
I could see XIII Trilogy launching next year as something of a stopgap between FFVII Remake and the next consoles coming out, personally.

FF13 trilogy should be the next logical step in Square's spree of remastering old FF games but SE is nothing short of stuff to be remastered. I can think of lots of potential remasters:

- Final Fantasy 7 Spinoffs (Crisis Core, Dirge of Cerberus)
- Grandia III (GungHo is bringing first to games, maybe Square remaster the third one to capitalize the series newfound popularity)
- Dawn of Mana (Devs said they're planning to remake every classic game of the series so SoM should be a remake. But all Dawn of Mana needs to be converted to HD)
- Star Ocean Till the End of Time & Star Ocean 4 (SO1 is coming to Switch sometime this year. What about the other ones? They shadowdropped Last Remnant, could they do the same for SO4?)
- Valkyrie Profile Lenneth & Silmeria (None of those two classics are available digitally right now. Not even on Vita PSN store. Out of all games on this list, these are the most deserving ones)
- SaGa Frontier 1&2 (After Romancing Saga 3 this year, these two should be the next but I'm not sure I want just a widescreen update for the classic games. I want full remakes for both, similar to Trials of Mana. But it could take more time that just remastering both)
- Romancing Saga (this don't need to be a full remake, just an HD remaster would make it look great enough. The game is selling at crazy prices at ebay, so I kinda need this remaster)
- Dragon Quest V (Another "capitalize on popularity" moment for Square. DQ5 movie is on the way, Square could make some crazy money by having an HD remaster of the PS2 remake of the game.)

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
- Valkyrie Profile Lenneth & Silmeria (None of those two classics are available digitally right now. Not even on Vita PSN store. Out of all games on this list, these are the most deserving ones)

Lenneth is available digitally, it's just on mobile.

(I've seen a lot of hearsay about how Silmeria isn't feasible to port because of how the game itself is held together by duct tape and positive thinking)

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
The movie is out already, and it was not well received. At all.

Well does it matter?

It was so popular, it actually helped the 11 year old DS remake to chart in Japan again! Square has missed a chance to make serious money by HD remastering the PS2 game for Switch.

Plus, it was obvious that the people would hate the crap out of the movie. It does not use Toriyama art which is the main attraction point of the series in Japan.

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
what about next level doing that Single Player bigger budget (not AAA) game people clamor for here?

I keep hearing that echoed.
but then when NLG comes up it becomes "mario strikers" and "punchout" lol.
like wait what.

Aonuma isn't the director of BotW 2. He can handle oversight on multiple projects (Links Awakening and BotW2 as producer, his own project as co-director or producer).

Speaking of LA, I wonder if Grezzo is basically 100% of the development with some Nintendo supervision, or if they ratio is different.
(we'll find out in the credits I suppose)

The reason for asking is I'm still surprised they are getting out an HD game (remake, but still) in 2019, after a 3DS port of LM in 2018, and a new 3DS IP in 2017.
That's pretty efficient.

And if they're doing basically 100% of LA, that makes me curious what the can handle going forward.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Well does it matter?

It was so popular, it actually helped the 11 year old DS remake to chart in Japan again! Square has missed a chance to make serious money by HD remastering the PS2 game for Switch.

Plus, it was obvious that the people would hate the crap out of the movie. It does not use Toriyama art which is the main attraction point of the series in Japan.

The art wasn't the big issue.

Also the game didn't chart because the movie was popular, it was because it was so bad people wanted to experience the actual game to get the bad taste from the movie out of their mouths, or at least that's what some people have said.

Not that any of this matters, I was just pointing out that remaking the game now to capitalize on the movie hype is a non starter.

Status
Not open for further replies.