• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
The art wasn't the big issue.

Also the game didn't chart because the movie was popular, it was because it was so bad people wanted to experience the actual game to get the bad taste from the movie out of their mouths, or at least that's what some people have said.

Not that any of this matters, I was just pointing out that remaking the game now to capitalize on the movie hype is a non starter.

Read a couple of user reviews and it seems lack of Toriyama art one of the big complaints, different story is the second one (tbh movie's sub-title is "Your Story", did they really expect 1:1 adaptation?)

The game sold more than 1000 copies btw, I don't think it's possible that all one thousand of these people wanted to "wash the bad taste". It's obvious that movie's popularity is in play here. This is just DS numbers btw (I'm still surprised they found 1000 copies of a 11 year old game in the wild), the game is also available on iOS/Android, many people might have gone for for that cheaper option.

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
Donkey Kong Country Returns 3 so Retro can finish their IP and Metroid Prime 4.
I could see it.

It's been a previous discussion, but to me DK is still Nintendo's 2nd biggest platformer mascot, but its immediate future seems murky in comparison

It would be crazy to not have a new DK game during the switch's life.

so It'll happen imo, the question is What and Who.
What form (2D, 3D, or different gameplay altogether)
Who developing (Monster Games, Retro after MP4, NLG, Internal Nintendo, Good-Feel-unlikely, or a 3rd party collaboration)

Trevelyan

User requested permanent ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I could see it.

It's been a previous discussion, but to me DK is still Nintendo's 2nd biggest platformer mascot, but its immediate future seems murky in comparison

It would be crazy to not have a new DK game during the switch's life.

so It'll happen imo, the question is What and Who.
What form (2D, 3D, or different gameplay altogether)
Who developing (Monster Games, Retro after MP4, NLG, Internal Nintendo, Good-Feel-unlikely, or a 3rd party collaboration)

Exactly. Also, a big part of the Nintendo/universal theme parks is the Donkey Kong Coaster. They will have a new game to capitalize on that.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
what about next level doing that Single Player bigger budget (not AAA) game people clamor for here?

I keep hearing that echoed.
but then when NLG comes up it becomes "mario strikers" and "punchout" lol.
like wait what.

Speaking of LA, I wonder if Grezzo is basically 100% of the development with some Nintendo supervision, or if they ratio is different.
(we'll find out in the credits I suppose)

The reason for asking is I'm still surprised they are getting out an HD game (remake, but still) in 2019, after a 3DS port of LM in 2018, and a new 3DS IP in 2017.
That's pretty efficient.

And if they're doing basically 100% of LA, that makes me curious what the can handle going forward.

1) There's a reason I always say EPD because of their pedigree. Monolith Soft did make a new single player IP in 2010 with Xenoblade, but even then that's a while back.

2) Punch Out and Mario Strikers haven't had games in a very long time. They're both great series and NLG is the only studio that's recently developed them. I loved Mario Strikers and they're very different than Nintendo's other Mario sports games.

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
The new Plants vs. Zombies game looks pretty fun. Too bad it won't come to Switch because EA

Before E3 Direct, someone here noticed that Doug Bowser started following Respawn leads and Apex Legends official twitter accounts (Bowser's corporate account, he only follows those who related to Nintendo).

Maybe Bowser is trying to patch things up with EA? I don't know what exactly happened between those two but it was so bitter that EA refused some easy money. It's not gonna be easy to convince EA.

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
Before E3 Direct, someone here noticed that Doug Bowser started following Respawn leads and Apex Legends official twitter accounts (Bowser's corporate account, he only follows those who related to Nintendo).

Maybe Bowser is trying to patch things up with EA? I don't know what exactly happened between those two but it was so bitter that EA refused some easy money. It's not gonna be easy to convince EA.
Maybe Bowser just likes Apex Legends lol

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Let's pray that Monolith truly does have a new single player IP coming atleast. It's good for us, the fans, and them.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Glad to see some optimism about DK on the previous page. I believe.

Hopefully K. Rool in Smash is just the beginning.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It really is time for K.Rool back in DK. It sucks so fucking hard there isn't a dedicated DK team. Yoshi has Good Feel. Kirby with HAL and Mario with EPD. DK is left out. I want the DK games to stick with a western developer though. DKC was created by Rare and continued by Retro.

I would love if Retro became a 2 game studio and had one team dedicated to 2D/3D DK games. I feel like the IP is too big to not have a dedicated team or just something to have consistent releases.

criteriondog

I like the chili style
Oct 26, 2017
Any chance of Xenoblade 1 coming to Switch? I desperately want to play the game, but I'd rather not play it on Wii/Wii U VC. Those are stored away.

Man, I wish the virtual console was still a thing.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
It really is time for K.Rool back in DK. It sucks so fucking hard there isn't a dedicated DK team. Yoshi has Good Feel. Kirby with HAL and Mario with EPD. DK is left out. I want the DK games to stick with a western developer though. DKC was created by Rare and continued by Retro.

I would love if Retro became a 2 game studio and had one team dedicated to 2D/3D DK games. I feel like the IP is too big to not have a dedicated team or just something to have consistent releases.
I feel like if retro was japanese, it would have 2. Agree about k.rool. He needs to be in a new main line dk game, either dkc or a 3d game, soon.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I haven't played Xenoblade X but from what I've seen unless it's some massive spoiler, I wouldn't say "medieval" describes that game...
It's not medieval so it would make no sense. It's a sci-fi game. I don't see it being any type of successor because I see a completely different battle system coming, and of course a new setting meaning it's a new IP with no ties to the "Xeno" name.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I haven't played Xenoblade X but from what I've seen unless it's some massive spoiler, I wouldn't say "medieval" describes that game...
I'm talking from an online perspective. as in, what's in the medieval game is Monolith following up the online systems they built up for Xenoblade X, which felt like there was to be more mechanics but was cut. didn't one of the pre-release trailers show some player characters flying around the world?

It seems Plants vs Zombies is indeed coming to Switch, as the guy who leaked the trailer claims.
>frostbite on Switch

I'll believe it when I see it. this being first but not Fifa or Madden makes me doubtful

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Any chance of Xenoblade 1 coming to Switch? I desperately want to play the game, but I'd rather not play it on Wii/Wii U VC. Those are stored away.

Man, I wish the virtual console was still a thing.

Maybe it will come? It's Nintendo so I wouldn't bet on it.
I feel like if retro was japanese, it would have 2. Agree about k.rool. He needs to be in a new main line dk game, either dkc or a 3d game, soon.

Yes...it's time for the King to take his place as the main villain.

Clov

Oct 25, 2017
If Retro was only doing BBQ before Prime 4 instead of making a new DK, then I'd love to see Next-Level take a try. Their animations are really amazing, so I think they're definitely up to the task of bringing DK and the other characters to life.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Oh boy Retro just added they're looking for a Director of Development.

I guess MP4 isn't coming out until 2030. Jk

But is this a regular Director for a game? Or a different type of Director for developing staff?

ContractHolder

Jack of All Streams
Oct 25, 2017
I just want EA to port the Mass Effect Trilogy.

... After I escape the swarm of other game collections I need to complete this fall. Help.

Kaitos

Tens across the board!
Oct 25, 2017
Is the September Direct usually where they showcase their biggish games for next year?

Nov 3, 2017
Is the September Direct usually where they showcase their biggish games for next year?

In last year's September Direct, we got reveals of LM3, AC Switch, Final Fantasy ports, NSO. In Sep 2017's Direct, we got DOOM, Wolfenstein II, Arena of Valor, etc. So yeah September Directs in the Switch era have had some notable reveals for games slated for the following year.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh boy Retro just added they're looking for a Director of Development.

I guess MP4 isn't coming out until 2030. Jk

But is this a regular Director for a game? Or a different type of Director for developing staff?
reads like production manager.

DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES

• Collaborates to define and realize the long-term development goals of the studio.
  • Directs the development and production of assigned software products.
  • Accountable for project schedule, scope, delivery schedules, and product quality.
  • Analyzes the production and scheduling impact of creative directions.
  • Provides solutions to production and schedule challenges as a result of creative direction from parent company.
  • Acts as the liaison and coordinator between departments to meet schedule and production goals.
  • Directs and communicates development related tasks to stakeholders.
  • Monitors and modifies the product development processes, planning technologies, and resource allocation for the studio.
  • Identifies, defines, and resolves any barriers to successful execution of the game vision.
  • Lead the project management team in driving project scheduling, resource allocation, prioritization, task tracking and problem solving to achieve results.
  • Accountable for meeting product development schedules.
  • Manages day-to-day project schedule coordinating activities across diverse disciplines to project completion.
  • Assists in developing talent for the product development and project management team.
  • Ensures direct reports have appropriate resources to achieve defined objectives.
  • Handles performance evaluations, bonus reviews, and any necessary disciplinary plans for direct reports.
  • Makes recommendations for promotions of individuals within team.
  • Responsible for having 1-1 meetings to understand career goals for individuals in group.
  • Coordinates with the development management group to understand evolving needs of the studio.

they aren't and their medieval game isn't Zelda

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017

given Good Feel has done 2 yoshi's and the port, they're more the same level as Retro.
So I wouldn't call them a dedicated yoshi studio yet if Retro wasn't one for DK.

I agree with the EPD/Mario and Kirby/HAL, since they're on a whole other level of being dedicated to a franchise.

Also agree that DK is too big an IP to not frequently have mainline games and some spinoffs, and have a more/less dedicated team (Unless Retro still is). With the right game, I see no reason it couldn't reach the franchise highs of 9m

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
In my dream world, a new DKC is announced and released by April 2020, and if you pre-order it, you get Dixie for free as a bonus fighter in Smash.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh I see.

Hope it's true. Though maybe it would be fun to post in a thread where some people would adamantly tell you that EA is 100% correct in not putting Garden Warfare on a console with Splatoon userbase.
I mean, that's 100% an EA move. they're only doing enough to say they aren't Dreamcasting the thing

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
DK is the IP that has suffered the most in sales numbers due to Nintendo's handling of it. It was a pretty consistent 5+ million seller in the 90s and on par with Mario and Zelda as one of their biggest first party franchises. Now we are seeing it sell roughly on par with Kirby, a series that sees several more titles and promotions.

They inconceivably don't invest in it at all for as iconic of an IP as it is. In the 2000s I wouldn't say they did great with it, since there were no new mainline games, but at least they put in an effort with all the spinoffs. EAD, Namco, Paon, and Rare were all doing games in the series. Now it is confined to Retro who's Metroid game won't see the light of day until at least 2022.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
DK is the IP that has suffered the most in sales numbers due to Nintendo's handling of it. It was a pretty consistent 5+ million seller in the 90s and on par with Mario and Zelda as one of their biggest first party franchises. Now we are seeing it sell roughly on par with Kirby, a series that sees several more titles and promotions.

They inconceivably don't invest in it at all for as iconic of an IP as it is. In the 2000s I wouldn't say they did great with it, since there were no new mainline games, but at least they put in an effort with all the spinoffs. EAD, Namco, Paon, and Rare were all doing games in the series. Now it is confined to Retro who's Metroid game won't see the light of day until at least 2022.

DKCR sold over 5 million on the Wii though. The potential is there. I firmly believe a new DK game on Switch would sell closer to 10 million than 5, especially if it's a 3D platformer.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017

Dkcr sold by far more than any kirby game, nearly 6 million...and 3 mill for the port.

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
Dkcr sold by far more than any kirby game, nearly 6 million...and 3 mill for the port.
currently, DK is selling less than, or just as much as Kirby is what he was saying. In totality.
Since Kirby gets consistent releases. Even if one DK SKU is higher than one Kirby SKU, Kirby has like 5 SKUs and therefore sells more.

Kirby gets a Superstar like entry every 2 or so years. And gets a spinoff or 2 in between.

2020 will most likely have a Kirby game. If you asked me to bet, I'd bet money a Kirby game will come out in 2020 and another in 2021

in comparison, When will the next DK game be?
We currently have no idea.

DKCR sold over 5 million on the Wii though. The potential is there. I firmly believe a new DK game on Switch would sell closer to 10 million than 5, especially if it's a 3D platformer.
for sure. DK can definitely be near a 10m franchise again. It just needs the right entry.,

The DK games are sp great, so it's hard to be disappointed from a consumer perspective, but from a business perspective, you can see how someone could argue it hasn't been handled perfectly. Considering it's potential

Mbolibombo

Oct 29, 2017
I'm sure there's quite the budget difference between DKC and a Kirby game. Kirby game should be significant cheaper to make which is why they dish em out as much as they do.

I'd love for a new DKC game though.

Status
Not open for further replies.