• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017

Mbolibombo

Oct 29, 2017

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Was Xenoblade a new IP? I thought it was spun off from Xenosaga
Xenogears, Xenosaga, and Xenoblade are all 3 separate IPs owned by 3 different companies (Square, Namco, and Nintendo). But it's an extremely unique situation because the same studio (Monolithsoft) made all of them, directed by the same person (Takahashi). And they share a ton of images, themes, and even potentially very vague story connections -- enough so where conceivably they could be in the same multiverse... but it is unlikely that will ever be officially a line crossed due to the different rights being owned by different companies. Still, Saga was definitely a spiritual successor, at least, to Gears... and Blade likewise to Saga. With XB2 the line was even further stretched thin with Xenosaga characters appearing as well as a late game spoiler that more or less confirms the multiverse.

So while they're all officially and legally separate IP, it also isn't really wrong to call the "Xeno" series one big thing considering the circumstances... even if Gears, Saga, and Blade all have considerable differences.

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
Sure but in terms of main games I mean.
oh, for mainline, yeah. Mainline Kirby is about every 2 or so years.
But you'd hope DK can have a mainline game every 3-4 years, 4 at the latest.

DK is no 3D mario of course, but 3D Mario releases have been 2017, 2013, 2011(3d land), 2010, 2007.

Last edited:

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
Yes I definately agree.. it's time for a new DK.
Yup.
My top choices are Retro and internal nintendo/epd.
Retro is a bit unclear, so I guess my ideal to get the game out soonish would be EPD, specifically the 3D Mario or Kart team. Unless Retro surprises me.

2nd level choices would probably be Next Level and Good-Feel off the top of my head
It had to be someone very competent with HD, and not 100% locked into other franchises

Mbolibombo

Oct 29, 2017
Yup.
My top choices are Retro and internal nintendo/epd.
Retro is a bit unclear, so I guess my ideal to get the game out soonish would be EPD, specifically the 3D Mario or Kart team. Unless Retro surprises me.

2nd level choices would probably be Next Level and Good-Feel off the top of my head
It had to be someone very competent with HD, and not 100% locked into other franchises

Yeah I'd definately want EPD or Retro for this. Nothng against either Next Level or Good Feel but I'd say that would be long away if it were those :P

They said 2020? Could have sworn they said this year.

Just something from the back of my head. I might remember wrong, but 40 year anniversary and all.. would make sense I guess.. especially since their output so far this year has been boxboy/girl :P

Zippo

Banned
Dec 8, 2017
Yeah I'd definately want EPD or Retro for this. Nothng against either Next Level or Good Feel but I'd say that would be long away if it were those :P

Just something from the back of my head. I might remember wrong, but 40 year anniversary and all.. would make sense I guess.. especially since their output so far this year has been boxboy/girl :P

They claimed there would be "new surprises and fun" this year. I dunno if they've delivered on either.

Kirby's been on a 2 year schedule for awhile though. They did claim there will be something different next time so I'm hoping we'll see what that is soon.

Spine Crawler

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
DK is the IP that has suffered the most in sales numbers due to Nintendo's handling of it. It was a pretty consistent 5+ million seller in the 90s and on par with Mario and Zelda as one of their biggest first party franchises. Now we are seeing it sell roughly on par with Kirby, a series that sees several more titles and promotions.

They inconceivably don't invest in it at all for as iconic of an IP as it is. In the 2000s I wouldn't say they did great with it, since there were no new mainline games, but at least they put in an effort with all the spinoffs. EAD, Namco, Paon, and Rare were all doing games in the series. Now it is confined to Retro who's Metroid game won't see the light of day until at least 2022.
DK was on a crazy comeback path with DKCR and the port. then WiiU happened. I am sure DKCTF will sell well and combined it might reach 3 - 4 millions which is still great. really hope retro has DKCR3 aside of MP4

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
DK was on a crazy comeback path with DKCR and the port. then WiiU happened. I am sure DKCTF will sell well and combined it might reach 3 - 4 millions which is still great. really hope retro has DKCR3 aside of MP4

It's already sold over 3 million combined. Switch version by itself will likely cross 3 million lifetime.

Mbolibombo

Oct 29, 2017

They claimed there would be "new surprises and fun" this year. I dunno if they've delivered on either.

Kirby's been on a 2 year schedule for awhile though. They did claim there will be something different next time so I'm hoping we'll see what that is soon.

Hmm I guess I read a different version of this that definately made it sound like next year and not coming year.

3M should be reachable.. 2.25M at end of March, but it's probably gonna take a while

Dwebble

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Exactly. Also, a big part of the Nintendo/universal theme parks is the Donkey Kong Coaster. They will have a new game to capitalize on that.
There's a very real chance that the DK ride doesn't open in the Switch's lifetime- I don't believe that they're bringing it to Hollywood or Tokyo, and the new park containing it isn't opening until 2023 at the absolute earliest.

Dr. Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
I don't see DKCTF being one of the best 2D platformers ever but not selling much more than Kirby as a sign of a Wii U effect or mismanagement, really, but more a natural limit of 2D platformers.

DKC on the SNES was helped by being the best looking game(s) at the time they were released. The brand power itself couldn't buoy DK64 or the Gamecube games. The Wii was more an outlier than a comeback, the games that got boosted were in a perfect nostalgia period for the lapsed gamers that grew up in the (S)NES era, much like Crash Bandicoot did recently for people born 10 years later. Now that people have it out of their system, I'm not surprised that 3D Mario started doing 2-3x the numbers of 2D Mario. I don't expect a CB follow up to do the same numbers either. DK has more brand power than Kirby, but the latter serves an underserved demographic.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
The Plants vs Zombies trailer was in super early version, the Switch logo can be just a placeholder

I agree that EA is leaving money on the table because the Splatoon crowd would love the game but it is EA, being a placeholder makes more sense

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
I don't see DKCTF being one of the best 2D platformers ever but not selling much more than Kirby as a sign of a Wii U effect or mismanagement, really, but more a natural limit of 2D platformers.

DKC on the SNES was helped by being the best looking game(s) at the time they were released. The brand power itself couldn't buoy DK64 or the Gamecube games.

I mean, DK64 still sold a lot.

NdpmyZc.jpg

5.27 million units, that makes it Rare's highest selling 3D platformer (above the Banjo games, even), and the highest selling on N64 that isn't Mario 64.

I'd say brand power did buoy it, especially considering how much shit that game (rightfully) gets in the modern era.

Spine Crawler

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

DKC on the SNES was helped by being the best looking game(s) at the time they were released. The brand power itself couldn't buoy DK64 or the Gamecube games. The Wii was more an outlier than a comeback, the games that got boosted were in a perfect nostalgia period for the lapsed gamers that grew up in the (S)NES era, much like Crash Bandicoot did recently for people born 10 years later. Now that people have it out of their system, I'm not surprised that 3D Mario started doing 2-3x the numbers of 2D Mario. I don't expect a CB follow up to do the same numbers either. DK has more brand power than Kirby, but the latter serves an underserved demographic.
nah its really wiiu.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Sorry wrong again. It was the Wii U selling like epic shit that ruined it.

nenned

Oct 27, 2017
I hope they give something like Donkey Kong '94 another shot. Either by a small team at EPD Tokyo while the majority of the team works on something else (Super Mario) or NST (worked on Mario vs. Donkey Kong series).

As for Next Level Games. Give them Kid Icarus. Sakurai isn't interested, and NLG's animators could really do the characters justice.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017

I actually think we might get the announcement very soon - the NES Online controllers were registered with the FCC a few weeks after their announcement on September 28th.

Could be that Nintendo is planning a bunch of stuff to coincide with the 1 year anniversary of Switch Online to get people to re-up their subscriptions, and I don't think they'd wait till September to announce their plans, personally

Pokémon

Oct 27, 2017
I mean, DK64 still sold a lot.

NdpmyZc.jpg

5.27 million units, that makes it Rare's highest selling 3D platformer (above the Banjo games, even), and the highest selling on N64 that isn't Mario 64.

I'd say brand power did buoy it, especially considering how much shit that game (rightfully) gets in the modern era.

I still don't get why never got a follow up game to or at least another 3D DK game in the vein of DK64. Over 5 million copies sold is a great success if you ask me.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
I actually think we might get the announcement very soon - the NES Online controllers were registered with the FCC a few weeks after their announcement on September 28th.

Could be that Nintendo is planning a bunch of stuff to coincide with the 1 year anniversary of Switch Online to get people to re-up their subscriptions, and I don't think they'd wait till September to announce their plans, personally

Didn't they wait until early September last year for the initial NSO details?

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
Bill's Twitter says his views are his own and that he supports the Ducks College team. Unless he is teasing a new Duck Hunt sequel.

I think Bill's Twitter account is not verified, so that one is a bad example. Tbh, not many Nintendo executives have their own Twitter account, Reggie got himself a one after he retired.

Sakurai is a better one and I meant who he follows. Not what he says on Twitter.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Didn't they wait until early September last year for the initial NSO details?

Yeah true but seems weird to file the SNES controller this early, though I guess the timing could still shake out if the announcements are made in the first week of Sept.

Either way though I doubt it'd be a Direct.

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
I still don't get why never got a follow up game to or at least another 3D DK game in the vein of DK64. Over 5 million copies sold is a great success if you ask me.

Part of the problem there is that Donkey Kong 64 was Rare's thing, and a few years after, Rare was bought out by Microsoft.

Since then, the series has been struggling to find a consistent developer again, being passed around to various developers like EAD Tokyo, Paon, Namco and Retro Studios.

Smash Kirby

One Winged Slayer
Nov 7, 2017
I think Bill's Twitter account is not verified, so that one is a bad example. Tbh, not many Nintendo executives have their own Twitter account, Reggie got himself a one after he retired.

Sakurai is a better one and I meant who he follows. Not what he says on Twitter.
I believe Bill was verified at one point.

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
DKCR sold over 5 million on the Wii though. The potential is there. I firmly believe a new DK game on Switch would sell closer to 10 million than 5, especially if it's a 3D platformer.

Right, DKC Returns sold great. I guess my opinion comes from the trend we're seeing.

DKC1: 9m
DKC2: 5m
DKC3: ~3.5m (this was in 1996 when SNES was near dead, so amazing result)
DK64: 5m
DKCR: ~6.5m

Then since then, DKCR 3D, DKC TF, and DKC TF Switch have all sold in the same ballpark of 2 to 2.5m. I feel like this isn't a good trend for the series' health. When Nintendo nails it they can get an easy 5 million seller on this franchise, and I'm sure an original title of Switch could sell over 6 million copies.

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
Just to throw it out there for discussion, how would a title like DK94 (2d, single screen) do commercially?

The thing is, that's essentially what Mario vs. Donkey Kong originally was, a successor to DK94.

Problem is that the sequel abandoned that gameplay style in favor of being a Lemmings clone, and this direction continued on for literally every single new installment going forward.

The first MVDK is the complete odd man out in its own series, it's so bizarre.

Last edited:

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
if there's going to be a september direct, there's a lot of things i want to be in it but the one thing i hope is NOT in it is a hollow knight silksong shadow drop. there's just too many september games i want to play day 1 and adding silksong to that list would just wreck me. the fact that it was shown at E3 with "coming soon" makes me a bit worried.

Derachi

Oct 27, 2017
Ahh the Nintendo Direct Speculation thread seems to be bumpin' this morning. Let's pop in and check the hot goss.

*sees discussion about Donkey Kong 94*

Well, you know, it's not really on topic but that game rules so I'm okay with this.

unicornKnight

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Athens, Greece
DKCR sold over 5 million on the Wii though. The potential is there. I firmly believe a new DK game on Switch would sell closer to 10 million than 5, especially if it's a 3D platformer.
That was 10 years ago almost, the game launched at 50$ I think and it was a big revival for a beloved series. Nowadays even NSMBUD is struggling to sell several millions and I see that the market is very hesitant to support a full priced 2d platformer. The series have the potential, the genre hasn't unless they can somehow expand the experience with maybe online multiplayer or some party games - remember how the DS Mario games both had mini games?
If we get another Donkey Kong Country like TF & Returns I can see it selling around 3-4 millions, maybe 5 in the very long run.

Moltres006

Banned
Jan 5, 2019
That was 10 years ago almost, the game launched at 50$ I think and it was a big revival for a beloved series. Nowadays even NSMBUD is struggling to sell several millions and I see that the market is very hesitant to support a full priced 2d platformer. The series have the potential, the genre hasn't unless they can somehow expand the experience with maybe online multiplayer or some party games - remember how the DS Mario games both had mini games?
If we get another Donkey Kong Country like TF & Returns I can see it selling around 3-4 millions, maybe 5 in the very long run.
If they want to 10 million then the next DKC has to be a long though. Give me 10 worlds with at least 6 levels each.
1 dollar per level.

butalala

Nov 24, 2017
Mario vs. Donkey Kong had gross graphics and annoying voices working against it. DK94 doesn't have any negatives on that level. I'd love to see another try at a successor to DK94. I'd love it to have hand-drawn cartoon graphics like Wario Land Shake It.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Why the hell is TF not being put in proper context. It was on the frigging Wii U. Then it was just a release on Switch at a higher price. Of course it wasn't going to sell 5+ million. It's not Mario Kart.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018

It was sold for 60. You're thinking of TF.

Status
Not open for further replies.