• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

unicornKnight

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Athens, Greece
Prime Trilogy shouldn't be that close to new Prime, it's three games, you wouldn't want your players to get franchise fatigue. I think if indeed the port was ready and was delayed there may be strategic/business reasons or decided to add extra features. I expect it early 2020 but wouldn't be surprised if it hits on December.

But really when it comes to ports there are still many options, the most obvius would be SM3DW.

Mbolibombo

Oct 29, 2017
Many of us expect Halo MCC to be this year's "big September Direct third party reveal". XCOM 2 or GTA5 are among the other guesses but only Halo MCC was hinted by insiders.

Yeah if Halo MCC is indeed true, it would be a good time to reveal it.

What's the difference between bayo 1/2 and prime trilogy? I don't get it.

None.

I dont follow that line of thinking either, that the trilogy needs to be released close to 4. The game wont suddenly dissapear if they released the trilogy 2 or more years ahead of Prime 4.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
Well, Prime Trilogy seems to be a far bigger project, as the games need a lot more work to be nice on the eyes at 2019. Besides that, not much, but Bayo 1/2 was meant to be something to fill slower months, as Bayonetta is a niche game that Nintendo keeps pushing because it's good PR for them, on the other side they are surely more interested in making Metroid Prime something bigger, and a good release date for the trilogy seems a good way to do it.

But who knows, as both Bayo 3 and MP4 seem to be delayed, it's hard to determine if they are willing to sit in a potentially finished ports for too long.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia
I also don't get why people are so adamant about Prime Trilogy needing to release a year away from Prime 4.

It doesn't. And since we're talking about a trilogy of games, it's probably better to space it out from Prime 4 by way over a year.

i think they'll release 3D world port in 2020 and odyssey 2 in 2021.
Both in 2020; like NSMBUDX and SMM2 this year.

Believe.

Hercule

Jun 20, 2018
Tokyo Mirage might be a good game to port to the Switch. It would be the closest thing to a Persona game on switch. Since P5 and Joker the Persona franchise is much more popular than it was when Tokyo Mirage released.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
Tokyo Mirage might be a good game to port to the Switch. It would be the closest thing to a Persona game on switch. Since P5 and Joker the Persona franchise is much more popular than it was when Tokyo Mirage released.
It has a big problem though: no dub and only English text. You can say that Persona 5 is only in English too, but that's not a Nintendo game. I hope it's on the Switch though, but I imagine it'll be released during a slow month or even digital only.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia
i'm team #botw2020 and i can't see them releasing both sequels in 2020. obviously it would be great if it happened tho.
I kinda think the opposite honestly. I feel like BotW2 could slip into early 2021, while Odyssey 2 is a shoe-in for 2020 (since the gap in time would be very close to our last iterative 3D Mario sequel).

Think both could happen next year though; we'll see I guess, since I think Odyssey 2 might be the "one last thing" of the Fall Direct.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
2020 schedule
February: 3D World port
March: Animal Crossing
June: Bayonetta 3
September: Odyssey 2
October: Pokemon D/P remakes
November: BOTW2

Source: my ass

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
I think people expecting a new Pokémon game next year may be in for a shock.

Hey man the pattern never lies.

8 years between Red/Green and FireRed/LeafGreen
10 years between Gold/Silver and HeartGold/SoulSilver
12 years between Ruby/Sapphire and OmegaRuby/AlphaSapphire
14 years between Diamond/Pearl and ???

So it is written.

Timppis

Banned
Apr 27, 2018
Are we still confident Pikmin 3 can be a 2019 release? Maybe in December or something?
You misspelled Pikmin 4

So it is written.
I have never seen so much hope packed in so little data.

Dwebble

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

So it is written.
I think the more important pattern is that this year is the fourth year in a row that Game Freak has released a new Pokémon RPG, two of which have been HD titles.

Game Freak have never released Pokémon RPGs 5 years in a row.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Can someone explain to me why they would have a September Direct when Nintendo is publishing no less than three games that month? I don't see how it doesn't cause mixed messaging in their marketing. "You know those games coming out in 2-3 weeks? Well, forget about those and look at all these 2020 titles!" October feels like a more logical choice.

The only real smoking gun is SNES games due for the NSO anniversary, but honestly, they could just announce that on Twitter.

There is also the fact that since the first direct, there was like 2 years only without a September main direct

Dwebble

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Can someone explain to me why they would have a September Direct when Nintendo is publishing no less than three games that month? I don't see how it doesn't cause mixed messaging in their marketing. "You know those games coming out in 2-3 weeks? Well, forget about those and look at all these 2020 titles!" October feels like a more logical choice.

The only real smoking gun is SNES games due for the NSO anniversary, but honestly, they could just announce that on Twitter.
The games aren't the main thing that Nintendo will be looking to advertise for September though- the main thing will be the new revision, and portraying it as an attractive platform with a rich upcoming lineup. Games like Link's Awakening and Dragon Quest will be part of that, but so will Luigi, Pokémon, Animal Crossing, and anything else they announce.

Herb Alpert

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Paris, France
The games aren't the main thing that Nintendo will be looking to advertise for September though- the main thing will be the new revision, and portraying it as an attractive platform with a rich upcoming lineup. Games like Link's Awakening and Dragon Quest will be part of that, but so will Luigi, Pokémon, Animal Crossing, and anything else they announce.

This

That's what the emphasized at E3 : "our platform has a rich and diversified line up, for each and every tastes"

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017

You may be right, but on the other hand a September Direct could have the effect of selling the console and September games to people who are currently on the fence, by showing that there's good new content coming in the next 6-12 months or so.

I don't think announcing other games you can't buy for a while really detracts from the upcoming games all that much.

MyGamingDiary

Banned
Jul 30, 2019
Am I the only one hoping for a new Paper Mario oder Mario & Luigi in the next direct? It's been ages since a new installment of both.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
In the end a September or October Direct makes sense. It's Nintendo try not to think too hard about what they will do lol.

I think they'll go with a 3rd straight September direct, but who knows. As far as a Botw 2 and a potential Odyssey 2 release date- either they both come in 2020 or only one comes in 2020 with the other coming in 2021.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I just love General Directs now. We get 2-3 new Nintendo first party games nowadays. So much better than the Wii U days for obvious reasons.

I expect another 2-3 new first party games announced in this September/October Direct. Mind you I said "New" so this doesn't include a Nintendo port.

Villa

Oct 28, 2017
That's a touch misleading- Alpha Dream put out a Mario and Luigi remake this year, and IntSys put out a Wario Ware game a year ago.
Wasn't the WarioWare game a collection of old microgames though? Add to the fact it was on 3ds and I wouldn't think it would've taken a ton of resources?

cdm00

The Fallen
Dec 5, 2018
2020 schedule
February: 3D World port
March: Animal Crossing
June: Bayonetta 3
September: Odyssey 2
October: Pokemon D/P remakes
November: BOTW2

Source: my ass
I know it's just speculation but new Mario, Pokemon, and Zelda in the span of 2.5 months? That's a bit overkill unless N really wants that mindshare before next gen

daybreak

Feb 28, 2018
Forgot about Town. Might be their December game. Would be weird to have two GameFreak games back to back though.

Town will almost certainly be released with little fanfare, as it's a much smaller title and digital-only (as of last update), at least. I'm expecting an October drop, honestly.

I know it's just speculation but new Mario, Pokemon, and Zelda in the span of 2.5 months? That's a bit overkill unless N really wants that mindshare before next gen

Normally I'd agree with you on the overkill point, but 2019's Aug-Nov release schedule has made me rewire any thinking on how Nintendo loads their schedules.

Dwebble

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Wasn't the WarioWare game a collection of old microgames though? Add to the fact it was on 3ds and I wouldn't think it would've taken a ton of resources?
Mostly, but not entirely- many of them needed reworking for the 3DS, and it had a pile of new modes and cutscenes too.

Not as much work as an entirely original game, sure, but nothing that can be entirely discounted.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So in the past 2-3 months Retro's had like 4 people leave. The biggest one of them just left was their Narrative Design Assistant. He had moved to that position exactly when Jon Verall came to Retro as the Writer in August 2016.

Jon Verall recently left earlier this year. He is the lead writer for an unannounced Retro game. He has it on his LinkedIn. I had been speculating for the longest he was brought in to work on Retro's second game with this Narrative Design Assistant, which we know there was one (a second game) going by a current employees LinkedIn.

With this Narrative Assistant leaving too I think their second game is completely done. They've had a few other people just recently leave like I said earlier. It makes me think the game is complete and some have decided to move on.

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
Just in case anyone was wondering about if there would be a price increase for the SNES games.

Yeah no, fuck off Nintendo.

Hope this doesn't actually apply to SNES. I would be OK with the idea of paying more for a big robust selection of systems, but just 'cause they deigned to drop off some roms? No, not when the service has so many issues and defeciences . Give more money for their P2P server-less service that lacks OG Xbox features just because of few more SNES roms?

Last edited:

Atheerios

Oct 27, 2017
I think the more important pattern is that this year is the fourth year in a row that Game Freak has released a new Pokémon RPG, two of which have been HD titles.

Game Freak have never released Pokémon RPGs 5 years in a row.
Game Freak also had never released Pokémon RPGs 4 years in a row until now. That's because now Pokémon is a truly annual franchise and before there were 1 year breaks every generation.

That said, I think DLC for SWSH is more likely than DP. But we will definitely get either of these options next year.

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
Ah Metroid Prime Trilogy, the rumor that refuses to die.

Dwyqk7S.png

Kevin360

OG Direct OP
Oct 25, 2017
I don't want the rumor to die, but it should be dead until we hear anything else from someone credible.

I've been hurt too much this year.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Just in case anyone was wondering about if there would be a price increase for the SNES games.

What about people that just subbed recently? I hope the price is reduced for them and they don't have resub again for the new full price

Like example new sub with nes+snes 30$ a year

Existing members that already have sub can upgrade your sub for 10$

Status
Not open for further replies.