• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Phendrana

Oct 26, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
I agree with you regarding patterns in general, but in this case the pattern is financially driven. They don't release multiple Mario Karts on the same system because they're evergreen multiplayer games.
Again, they've never released a port of a Mario Kart game before. That already renders any previous patterns inapplicable imo. They would obviously never release two brand new Kart games on the same system, but I definitely wouldn't discount the idea that MK8DX was released to tide people over until the Switch got its own brand new Mario Kart game.

Sadist

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Holland
Ah, we're getting in rumour territory.

More Assassin's Creed games are coming? Not surprising. Those back catalogue games will earn back their money. I wonder how AC III performed. Games was super rough.

Mbolibombo

Oct 29, 2017
MK8DX's current success has absolutely no bearing on whether or not a sequel was greenlit several years ago.

But it in a sense it does, a multiplayer focused game like MK8DX that still sells more than most games dream of every single quarter tends to live on some time still certainly makes them think twice. Make no mistake, a new MK game is always in development in some capacity and MK9 most certainly is - But since MK8DX was a massive success right out of the game, and has continued to be so for more than 2 years now initial launching plan may very well have changed. Nintendo is no stranger to holding games, and in this case it would make perfect case.

I'm just saying there's no chance it releases in 2020 since it would cannibalize MK8DX to the fullest and why would they want that.

Oct 31, 2017
Wave race switch is definetly coming in one way or other. I feel also that the *kart game for switch*;will be from Retro and will be the long rumoured *Diddy Kong 2* that they where supposed to be working on for years now. I definetly think that a new racer is coming as Mario kart 8 was supposed to be for wiiu. Switch needs its major first party racer.

Salamiaddict

May 15, 2018
Northern Germany
Again, they've never released a port of a Mario Kart game before. That already renders any previous patterns inapplicable imo. They would obviously never release two brand new Kart games on the same system, but I definitely wouldn't discount the idea that MK8DX was released to tide people over until the Switch got its own brand new Mario Kart game.
Mario Kart 7 RE-Make+

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
I feel also that the *kart game for switch*;will be from Retro and will be the long rumoured *Diddy Kong 2* that they where supposed to be working on for years now. I definetly think that a new racer is coming as Mario kart 8 was supposed to be for wiiu. Switch needs its major first party racer.
And I feel like that announcement thread would end up as grade A comedy.

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017
I know there's a small market for these titles and I understand bringing them to a portable system but man I couldn't give two shits any more about old ass ports, Metroid Prime Trilogy being about the only exception. If a new Direct rolls around I want Nintendo and co to be talking about the future, and how we can be surprised. Not "Enjoy Assassin's Creed Rogue".

Ephonk

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
Mario Kart 9 is probably in low-key development, but by a very small team and more in experimental phase than full production. I think this'll be for 2022'ish. I would think the main MK team is on another project atm, either new or ARMS related.
For the december game I'd guess a "big" third party game/port that gets revealed in the september direct would make a lot of sense, just to fill out the schedule and give it some time on its own. It could also be a first party port.

In general I expect them to show their january-summer 2020 line-up and one or two big Q4 2020 games, like they did with Luigi's Mansion and Animal Crossing last year.

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
I know there's a small market for these titles and I understand bringing them to a portable system but man I couldn't give two shits any more about old ass ports, Metroid Prime Trilogy being about the only exception. If a new Direct rolls around I want Nintendo and co to be talking about the future, and how we can be surprised. Not "Enjoy Assassin's Creed Rogue".
I mean, you will get a mix of both.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018

Their Fall Directs tend to be their most subdued imo, so I wouldn't expect much, Nintendo's Q1s are usually quiet and Q2 isn't much better, at least for the last couple of years. They have a bad habit of backloading their big titles in Q3/Q4 it feels like.

I'm sure there's like some marketing statistic that indicates doing so is a good idea, but hey, I'll take the ports. So many games are suddenly a lot more appealing to me now because I can play them in handheld mode.

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The most frustrating part about the non-existence if Diddy Kong Racing 2 is that they had the perfect developers for it with Monster Games but let them go. Excite Truck and ExciteBots were so good.

Phendrana

Oct 26, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Make no mistake, a new MK game is always in development in some capacity and MK9 most certainly is - But since MK8DX was a massive success right out of the game, and has continued to be so for more than 2 years now initial launching plan may very well have changed. Nintendo is no stranger to holding games, and in this case it would make perfect case.
So you think they've basically paused development on Mario Kart 9 because of MK8DX's success? I know they've held back some games before, but typically only for a few months to avoid a clash with another game. This would be on another level altogether.

As far as I'm aware, EAD9 has only released ARMS and MK8DX since Mario Kart 8 released in May 2014, right? So they're definitely working on something at the moment, and my main argument is that considering the Switch was basically a hail mary system for Nintendo (with no cheap handheld to fall back on if it bombed), surely they wouldn't have been banking on a Wii U port of Mario Kart 8 being the success it turned out to be?

I guess we'll know for sure next year, but I'm betting on Mario Kart 9. Hopefully you're right though - I'd honestly prefer for them to be working on something else.

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So you think they've basically paused development on Mario Kart 9 because of MK8DX's success? I know they've held back some games before, but typically only for a few months to avoid a clash with another game. This would be on another level altogether.

As far as I'm aware, EAD9 has only released ARMS and MK8DX since Mario Kart 8 released in May 2014, right? So they're definitely working on something at the moment, and my main argument is that considering the Switch was basically a hail mary system for Nintendo (with no cheap handheld to fall back on if it bombed), surely they wouldn't have been banking on a Wii U port of Mario Kart 8 being the success it turned out to be?

I guess we'll know for sure next year, but I'm betting on Mario Kart 9. Hopefully you're right though - I'd honestly prefer for them to be working on something else.

The core MK team is most likely working on Mario Kart Tour atm. Unless MK9 already entered full-production, it's not that outlandish to think that they put it on the backburner once they realized that MK8DX would be a huge success.

Timppis

Banned
Apr 27, 2018
MK9 will be the start of Crossover Nintendo Kart Racer

It'll be called something incredibly silly like Mario Kart Multiverse.

That's what I think.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Look, I'm a simple man.

I want a new Donkey Kong game.

2D, 3D, kart racer, dating sim... just something.

Please?

MV5BZDY5ZGQ0MTUtNTY3MC00NmQ2LTljNDYtM2I4ZjU3ZTU1MzYwXkEyXkFqcGdeQXRoaXJkLXBhcnR5LXZpZGVvLXVwZGF0ZXI@._V1_CR0,45,480,270_AL_UX477_CR0,0,477,268_AL_.jpg

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
Look, I'm a simple man.

I want a new Donkey Kong game.

2D, 3D, kart racer, dating sim... just something.

Please?

MV5BZDY5ZGQ0MTUtNTY3MC00NmQ2LTljNDYtM2I4ZjU3ZTU1MzYwXkEyXkFqcGdeQXRoaXJkLXBhcnR5LXZpZGVvLXVwZGF0ZXI@._V1_CR0,45,480,270_AL_UX477_CR0,0,477,268_AL_.jpg

That would be gross.
Not really. I don't think the concept reached it's it full potential on the first try, unlike Splatoon, which nailed it. With some modifications to the combat speed, combo potential and the variety of offensive options, ARMS 2 could be a Smash 64 to Melee jump.

I'd like it.

Last edited:

kizmah

Oct 29, 2017
Sweden
I know there's a small market for these titles and I understand bringing them to a portable system but man I couldn't give two shits any more about old ass ports, Metroid Prime Trilogy being about the only exception.

I agree, but I would add Wind Waker HD and Twilight Princess HD to the exceptions, especially WW. I would love to replay that on a portable.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
I could see myself triple dipping on Twilight Princess on Switch. I'm just as disgusted with myself as you are.

Dizzy Ukulele

Oct 28, 2017
Wave Race but with Splatoon characters. The Inklings would die as soon as they fall in the water but otherwise it's a good fit and a surefire way to make Wave Race a success in Japan at least.

Bowser

Nov 7, 2017
My guesses for September Direct are

- Updates on games releasing later that month
- Pikmin 3 port for early next year + 4 announcement
- DLC for 2019 games: Yoshi? Mario Maker 2? Probably Fire Emblem as well
- Focus on Pokémon Sword and Shield (an early september Direct would fit with Pokémon timings)
- A couple of 3rd party ports for later this year
- 2020 announcements: January and February games + two big 2020 announcements
- And obviously SNES games

I'm hoping that once Astral Chain is out they can finally show Bayonetta 3. And just like Square had a big role in last year's Direct I'm guessing another Japanese company will have it as well this year, maybe Capcom?

Timppis

Banned
Apr 27, 2018
My guesses for September Direct are

- Updates on games releasing later that month
- Pikmin 3 port for early next year + 4 announcement
- DLC for 2019 games: Yoshi? Mario Maker 2? Probably Fire Emblem as well
- Focus on Pokémon Sword and Shield (an early september Direct would fit with Pokémon timings)
- A couple of 3rd party ports for later this year
- 2020 announcements: January and February games + two big 2020 announcements
- And obviously SNES games

I'm hoping that once Astral Chain is out they can finally show Bayonetta 3. And just like Square had a big role in last year's Direct I'm guessing another Japanese company will have it as well this year, maybe Capcom?

If you weren't an esteemed member of the community I would utter the following to you.

"Oh you poor innocent soul with such hope. Bless you".

Deleted member 33

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Uh, I'll try. If you assume none of the mystery games were announced at the time Emily posted (so they're not Luigi's Mansion 3 or Animal Crossing), my best guesses would be:

1. Mystery game #1 - Astral Chain
2. Mystery game #2 - Link's Awakening
3. Mystery game #3 - Super Mario Maker 2
4. Mystery game #4 - ????
5. eShop game #1 - Tetris 99
6. Wii U port #1 (2013 title) - Pikmin 3 (judging by Zell's leaks)
7. eShop game #2 - BoxBoy! + BoxGirl!
8. eShop game #3 - Cadence of Hyrule
9. New Labo Kit - Labo VR

Assuming this is right, there's really only one game Emily hinted at that's totally unaccounted for. I doubt that it's BotW, since there's no indication that it was ever supposed to be a 2019 title, so it probably hasn't been announced at all yet, and has presumably been pushed to 2020.

Yes, that is all accurate.

Wii U port #1 (the 2013 game) will most likely get bumped to early 2020. I'm guessing January or February. Same timeframe as New Super Mario Bros U Deluxe.

Chackan

Oct 31, 2017
Did Arms sell enough to justify a sequel?

I really liked the game, but:

A) wouldn't have bought it if it wasn't for the demo
B) it lacks content! Mainly character customization

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018

Wii U port #1 (the 2013 game) will most likely get bumped to early 2020. I'm guessing January or February. Same timeframe as New Super Mario Bros U Deluxe.

Dead heat between Pikmin 3 and 3D World.

I'll burn a voucher for this on my Switch, personally:

GoodVigorousArachnid-size_restricted.gif

Mbolibombo

Oct 29, 2017

If that's the case, that would mean no December game this year. I guess.. fall lineup is better this year so maybe they wont need a December game. But still..

Deleted member 33

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
If that's the case, that would mean no December game this year. I guess.. fall lineup is better this year so maybe they wont need a December game. But still..

Well, I only said Wii U port #1 (the 2013 game) was likely to get bumped to early 2020.

I didn't comment on Mystery Game #4, which is also on the same list. :)

Xun

Oct 25, 2017
London
Honestly more than anything I just want to see new big IP/revivals, but who knows if that'll even happen.

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
3D World, Pikmin 3 (which seemingly is the port #1) and Wonderful 101 are games that released in 2013.

What does that leave? Fighting on an alien planet?

EDIT: Oh I've misunderstood, nevermind.

Status
Not open for further replies.