• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Alright gang, how does the Pokémon Direct affect our chances?

• #TeamAppetizer (a Direct will come between 1/14 and 1/17)

Votes: 806 70.6%
  • #TeamEntrée (this is the main course; another Direct won’t come until later)

Votes: 237 20.8%
  • I'm on #TeamAppetizer, but I don't necessarily think it will happen next week.

Votes: 99 8.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr_F_Snowman

Oct 27, 2017
How about Zell and Nate? Good timing for me on the latter I guess, lol.

We don't know what that new single player content is or how it fits into the game, to be fair. Could be prologue content exploring Olimar and Louie's return to the planet that was scarcely covered in the original game (they were playable in multiplayer, so give them and the Purple/White Pikmin some solo content). Could be a short Louie-related epilogue that sets up for 4. Who knows?

I'm not saying its not possible but it seems unlikely. All insiders have been wrong before and misinterpreted stuff, nothing wrong keeping an open mind when the stuff proposed seems a little strange. But obviously they could also be completely correct!

Hopefully we find out when our thirst for a direct is quenched asap

Zippo

Banned
Dec 8, 2017
I think there was a Diamond and Pearl remake slated for next year, but I have a feeling that it's been delayed due to this whole Pokedex clusterfuck. I think they want to make sure this one has enough time to cook properly and has a good amount of content.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Emily isn't infallible so anything is possible. The apparent reason for the port of 3 being delayed was that they were adding additional content in and it was taking longer than expected. But why would they be adding content to 3 if Pikmin 4 is on the horizon? Something about that makes no sense to me
Maybe because they want to incentivize Wii U owners to buy Pikmin 3 again? Pikmin 4 won't come this year. We'll get Pikmin 3 Deluxe and Pikmin 4 next year.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think there was a Diamond and Pearl remake slated for next year, but I have a feeling that it's been delayed due to this whole Pokedex clusterfuck. I think they want to make sure this one has enough time to cook properly and has a good amount of content.
I swear, if all GF focuses on is the pokedex and not everything else, they are truly blind

OP
OP

Raccoon

May 31, 2019
Not refuting, just adding, but I'd say they pretty much can't screw up a 1:1 gen 4 remake. People will love it no matter what

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
I'm not saying its not possible but it seems unlikely. All insiders have been wrong before and misinterpreted stuff, nothing wrong keeping an open mind when the stuff proposed seems a little strange. But obviously they could also be completely correct!

Hopefully we find out when our thirst for a direct is quenched asap
Of course, it's good to keep a an open mind in regards to information insiders give us. In regards to a Pikmin 3 port, i'm fairly convinced that it exists, but i'm absolutely certain that it is a separate entity from Pikmin 4 (remember, that's the argument I was responding to before).

Mr_F_Snowman

Oct 27, 2017
Of course, it's good to keep a an open mind in regards to information insiders give us. In regards to a Pikmin 3 port, i'm fairly convinced that it exists, but i'm absolutely certain that it is a separate entity from Pikmin 4 (remember, that's the argument I was responding to before).

So am I. I'm not questioning a Pikmin 3 port or it being seperate from Pikmin 4. I just don't expect Pikmin 3 to have substantial additional content added in to it (which is supposedly why its been delayed)

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Not refuting, just adding, but I'd say they pretty much can't screw up a 1:1 gen 4 remake. People will love it no matter what
Game Freak have shown us many different ways to mess up a game, even a remake, over the years:
  • Mostly based on Diamond and Pearl; no major Platinum content included.
    • That includes QoL changes, the Distortion World and any substantial Giratina appearance, post-game content, and ESPECIALLY the Battle Frontier.
  • Even Game Freak can't be incompetent enough to skip out on Pokemon from the original Sinnoh Regional Dex, but i'd be willing to bet that a lot of Pokemon in the original 493 National Dex will be absent.
  • Sticking to a grid-based map.
I don't want to go on, because i'm making myself sad by realising that these are all inevitable.

OP
OP

Raccoon

May 31, 2019
Game Freak have shown us many different ways to mess up a game, even a remake, over the years:
  • Mostly based on Diamond and Pearl; no major Platinum content included.
    • That includes QoL changes, the Distortion World and any substantial Giratina appearance, post-game content, and ESPECIALLY the Battle Frontier.
  • Even Game Freak can't be incompetent enough to skip out on Pokemon from the original Sinnoh Regional Dex, but i'd be willing to bet that a lot of Pokemon in the original 493 National Dex will be absent.
  • Sticking to a grid-based map.
I don't want to go on, because i'm making myself sad by realising that these are all inevitable.
oh, yeah. I probably overestimated the Sinnoh goodwill. man I hope they deliver

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Speaking of Pokemon, I wonder when Home will drop. Shadow-drop after the January Direct? Just shadow-dropped in general at some point in January or February? It's weird that they haven't touched on it (to my knowledge) at all after release.

That, Famicom Detective Club and Bravely Default II are hard to place dates for right now; at least in regards to stuff Nintendo are publishing.

Zippo

Banned
Dec 8, 2017
I also think next year EPD will have a marquee game released as the big holiday title. They've only had one during the Switch's life cycle so far.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Until I looked it up just now, I didn't know that Nintendo was publishing Snack World in Australia, but seemingly nowhere else? Weird.

EDIT: Might be an error on the official Nintendo website actually (page here). They aren't publishing the digital version at least, and their logo isn't on the cover art.

Last edited:

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Considering that they showed absolutely nothing, and couldn't even provide any specific details besides "the ending is different from the movie", I don't feel like the game was that far along when it was revealed.
I had to look it up. I thought it was announced last year. It was announced this May. Yeah it won't make 2020.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
if we all use the wishing stars on new years, maybe TPC will grant us a Gen 8 Mystery Dungeon game!

Pokemaniac

Oct 25, 2017
The employees generally have a good time at Game Freak, Pokémon isn't even the the project made by the main dev team. Pokémon is a game whose development cycle has been perfected over the years to allow yearly releases.
Calling it "perfected" when they're so clearly struggling seems a bit odd.
Detective Pikachu 2? Is still coming
They first Detective Pikachu was announced super early, and all indications at this point are that sequel seems to be following the tradition.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
if we all use the wishing stars on new years, maybe TPC will grant us a Gen 8 Mystery Dungeon game!
There shouldn't be much stopping Spike Chunsoft from doing it, so I wouldn't be surprised to see it happen on the Switch (remember, it'd also be the first Mystery Dungeon with Gen 7 Pokemon too).

It'd be hilarious if they managed to include a complete dex like the last 3DS installment did; though since previous installments didn't have every Pokemon available as recruits, it'd be far more understandable here.

Or even a new Pokemon Ranger
With Detective Pikachu 2 on the way, I can't see that one happening for awhile. Creatures don't seem big enough to work on two projects while also assisting Game Freak on the main series installments.

Pokemaniac

Oct 25, 2017
If having that amount of sales every year and good critical reception is struggling then every game company wishes to be struggling.
Sales and critic reviews aren't the only measure of a game's quality. The back half of the game is rather blatantly unfinished.

Also, Sword and Shield didn't even review that well by series standards.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
So first Nintendo release of 2020; Tokyo Mirage Session on January 17th.

Who's getting it?
Picked up the original version for a bargain price earlier this year to fill out my first-party Wii U collection, but didn't play much of it. Might buy the port and play that version instead.

Though, Brain Training is technically the first Nintendo release of 2020 ;)

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
So first Nintendo release of 2020; Tokyo Mirage Session on January 17th.

Who's getting it?

Couldn't finish it on Wii U, the whole idol thing is not for me. Also hated the songs.

Too bad there's nothing else in January, not even a small third party game or a big indie. I have zero backlog right now, I need some new games asap. Hopefully this upcoming Direct will have some cool shadow drops.

Guaraná

Oct 25, 2017
brazil, unfortunately
I have no idea of when the next Direct will happen, but I really hope Nintendo shows a lot of new 1st party content in it, because if there's one thing we learned from the first 2.5 years of the Switch is that this companies, with a very few exception, treat the console as a third class hardware.

So, in order to keep the momentum with the arrival of the next gen consoles, Nintendo must keep the good work and release some crazy shit in 2020.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I have no idea of when the next Direct will happen, but I really hope Nintendo shows a lot of new 1st party content in it, because if there's one thing we learned from the first 2.5 years of the Switch is that this companies, with a very few exception, treat the console as a third class hardware.

So, in order to keep the momentum with the arrival of the next gen consoles, Nintendo must keep the good work and release some crazy shit in 2020.
I'm hoping it's like the February direct where we got 3 new Nintendo first party games in Super Mario Maker 2, Astral Chain and Links Awakening. We even got first party digital games like Tetris 99 and Boxboy.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
What are the odds of a mainline Kirby game being announced in 2020?
It's certainly possible; based on precedence it could even be revealed in the January Direct and release in May or something. Though, HAL did put out a ton of job recruitment listings for a "New Kirby Series Project" in September, so it might be further out than we think.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Of course they can and will consider all SWSH's criticisms when developing the next generation, but Pokémon is nowhere close WWE's disaster lol
thankfully Pokemon games get more dev time than the 2K sports games, but in a way, I can see WWE being an unfortunate conclusion to some of the issues plaguing Pokemon, namely not enough time and aging development foundation.

Guaraná

Oct 25, 2017
brazil, unfortunately
I'm hoping it's like the February direct where we got 3 new Nintendo first party games in Super Mario Maker 2, Astral Chain and Links Awakening. We even got first party digital games like Tetris 99 and Boxboy.
That would be awesome.

3 new games announced: a new Baiten Kaitos, Pikmin 4 and Mario Odyssey 2.

Bayonetta 3 and BotW2 confirmed as 2020 games.

Plus 3 remakes: MP Trilogy HD, Pikmin 3 and FZero GX

Merry Chirstmas.

Status
Not open for further replies.