• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Alright gang, how does the Pokémon Direct affect our chances?

• #TeamAppetizer (a Direct will come between 1/14 and 1/17)

Votes: 806 70.6%
  • #TeamEntrée (this is the main course; another Direct won’t come until later)

Votes: 237 20.8%
  • I'm on #TeamAppetizer, but I don't necessarily think it will happen next week.

Votes: 99 8.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Magic-Man

User requested ban
Feb 5, 2019
Epic Universe
My prediction:

1st Quarter: Animal Crossing, Brain Training, TMS Encore, small eShop-Game
2st Quarter: Pikmin 3 Deluxe, new Paper Mario (in June)
3st Quarter: Xenoblade Remake, Rhythm Heaven, Deadly Pr. 2, Bravely Default 2, Rune Factory 5
4st Quarter: New IP from Mario Kart Team, Super Mario Party 2, exclusive 3rd-Party-Game, Bayonetta 3, Mario Odyssey 2 OR BotW 2

Furthermore, potential stuff in 2021 then:

-Pikmin 4
-Metroid (Trilogy or 2D-Game)
-Pokemon-Remakes
-Odyssey 2 OR BotW 2 (obviously depending on which of these was released in 2020)
-new Monolith-Game
-new Kirby
-new Camelot-Game
-The W101 Port
-Tomodachi Life

Taddaaaaah

This is probably exactly what's going to happen, minus an extra sequel or new IP for the thirst quarter (Get it? You said 3st? Okay I'll leave now).

Thanks, I hate it.

Last edited:

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil

She also said on twitter something along the lines of "with mobile and console devs, it is hard to not have an exciting year"

These are they type of posts that are boring and pessimistic. Very yawn inducing

Which is why i like Arlo's predictions more.

We had RING FIT ADVENTURE and LABO, I like the prediction list with NintenDragons more =P

Tialo

Dec 4, 2019
This is probably exactly what's going to happen, minus an extra sequel or new IP for the thirst (Get it? You said 3st? Okay I'll leave now).

Thanks, I hate it.

haha yeah, some small typos from my side ;)

But yeah, I think this might be close to the real release schedule in 2020. I think Switch will have a very broad 3rd-Party-Lineup, so I think it will be very good in the end. Most of the interesting games will come in the last quarter - as usually for Nintendo - to have a strong christmas-lineup.

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The time is now for a mario mouso. But i gotta agree with arlo about a mario rpg remake, that would be incredible

Moltres006

Banned
Jan 5, 2019
In 2017 and 2019 we had the directs on a Wednesday, but 2018 they were on Thursdays. So..... I wonder if they'll go back to Thursday or stick to Wednesday.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Ya'll are sleeping on my Kid Kirby prediction from earlier; it's the most unexpected possible conclusion to that "publicly cancelled game revived for Switch" rumor, and it'd be absolutely hilarious.

I'm sure Rockstar North still have all of their original assets lying around somewhere; just look at this beautiful promotional art:

latest

Oct 27, 2017
United States
She also said on twitter something along the lines of "with mobile and console devs, it is hard to not have an exciting year"

Which is why i like Arlo's predictions more.

We had RING FIT ADVENTURE and LABO, I like the prediction list with NintenDragons more =P

Do you think that is in reference to the consolidation of Nintendo's handheld and home console development teams? I hope mobile does not indicate smartphone games. 😬

AniHawk

No Fear, Only Math
Oct 25, 2017
These are they type of posts that are boring and pessimistic. Very yawn inducing

nintnendo direct late feb, early march:
-bayonetta 3 gameplay trailer, confirmed for 2020 (we'll see more at e3)
-pikmin 4 shown off - includes pikmin 3 as a bonus because they had ported it already so why not. gonna be an august title
-other things that are coming soonish: details on animal crossing and probably something on brain age (nintendo knows their audience is hardcore gamers so they won't spend too much time on the latter)
-some relatively neat 3rd party game gets shown off that people hadn't expected, like tales of arise or granblue fantasy versus.
-end of the direct is a surprise botw2 trailer with a release date for late spring 2020. it won't be at e3.

e3:
-super mario 35th anniversary game: this could be why the pikmin 3 game was put on hold. if pikmin 4 doesn't happen, then this will be the big game for nintendo's end-of-year. it'll be one of three things: super mario 3d all-stars (sm64ds, sms, smg2, sm3dw all done in the smo engine), super mario bros. 3d (a 3d remake of the very first super mario bros.), or super mario bros. '4' (a continuation off the original line in a similar style - and yeah i know smb4 is part of the name for smw in japan).
-bayonetta 3 story trailer, release date.
-pokemon gen iv remakes in a direct prior to e3, but geared towards the end of the year. it's been over a decade, and oras will be six years old so it's a good time for that.
-some relatively big third-party exclusive revealed. something that would get people talking like a chrono trigger remake or sonic mania 2.
-an unexpected port of another third-party game that people think wouldn't come to switch, in the same vein as the witcher 3 or the outer worlds. gonna go with cyberpunk as a big surprise considering the hardware.
-smaller third-party games (exclusive or not) shown off first for switch - games like disgaea 6, a new katamari damacy, shenmue iv, etc.

2020 is going to be the year of ffvii remake, cyberpunk, and tlou2, as well as ps5 and xsx, but it will also be a year that nintendo basically has all to themselves. it'll be like the dreamcast's 2000, when nintendo and sony had been on the way out with their old platforms and their new ones were getting a foothold (or not even out), leaving one platform to garner most of the attention.

Stairouais

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
France
Predictions:

January Animal Crossing focused direct.
TMS reminder
SM3DW port announced.
New game by the boxboy team
Third Party Ports. Panzer dragoon and stuff.
Star wars game ports ( rogue squadron?)
Smash character 5 + Season pass 2 tease.
reminder that BOTW2 is still in development, but nothing shown.

No Odyssey 2, No Pikmin, No wave race, the usual.

Lintendo

Sep 11, 2018
Predictions:

January Animal Crossing focused direct.
TMS reminder
SM3DW port announced.
New game by the boxboy team
Third Party Ports. Panzer dragoon and stuff.
Star wars game ports ( rogue squadron?)
Smash character 5 + Season pass 2 tease.
reminder that BOTW2 is still in development, but nothing shown.

No Odyssey 2, No Pikmin, No wave race, the usual.

Thats so boring that's it could happen at the End🙈

Common Knowledge

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
January: TMS
March: Animal Crossing
November: Pokemon Let's Go Johto

That's it. That's all they have for next year.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Absolutely. Most mobile games aren't internaly developed and even if they were, the 3ds team could do much more than a few mobile games
All of Nintendo's games are internally made. And they aren't bring worked on by the former 3DS teams. Mario Kart Tour is made as if it's Mario Kart 9

lunanto

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
I am going to predict 2020 Nintendo too:

- DK Country games for the NSO.
- Bayonetta 3 and BoTW 2 release in 2020.
- No More Heroes 3 release on my birthday.
- New 2D Metroid from Mercury Steam and Metroid Prime Trilogy release in 2020.
- Castlevania GBA and DS collection for the Switch.
- Max Payne 3 for the Switch.

etc.
etc.
etc.
I forgot to add Shadows Of the Damned HD Remaster for the Switch.

Sorry :')

LukasManak22

Jan 10, 2018
Thinking more and more about it and Odyssey 2 is 100% coming in 2020.
Look Odyssey could release a lot sooner than in October 2017 (but of course they needed it for Holidays), in January 2017 Koizumi said that "development is considerably finished". I am admitting that things like resolution etc. were improved since E3 demo to release but still.
I believe that sequel could start development well before Odyssey's launch.
It's Odyssey 2 or Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker sequel for 2020.

Oct 27, 2017
My prediction:

1st Quarter: Animal Crossing, Brain Training, TMS Encore, small eShop-Game
2st Quarter: Pikmin 3 Deluxe, new Paper Mario (in June)
3st Quarter: Xenoblade Remake, Rhythm Heaven, Deadly Pr. 2, Bravely Default 2, Rune Factory 5
4st Quarter: New IP from Mario Kart Team, Super Mario Party 2, exclusive 3rd-Party-Game, Bayonetta 3, Mario Odyssey 2 OR BotW 2

Furthermore, potential stuff in 2021 then:

-Pikmin 4
-Metroid (Trilogy or 2D-Game)
-Pokemon-Remakes
-Odyssey 2 OR BotW 2 (obviously depending on which of these was released in 2020)
-new Monolith-Game
-new Kirby
-new Camelot-Game
-The W101 Port
-Tomodachi Life

Taddaaaaah

I'm fairly on board with this prediction. However, I'd cross the new Mario Kart IP (I'm thinking this will come 2021) and Mario Odyssey 2. BotW 2 is probably the most likely out of those 3, because we've already been teased with it. I'd also cross SMP 2 since SMP was just released not long ago, but I can see them releasing DLC for the game.

My prediction for 2020 would go as the following:

Q1: Animal Crossing; Smash DLC character-5; Brain Training
Q2: Pikmin (either 3 deluxe or 4; I'm leaning more towards 4 and definitely a late summer release); Bravely Default 2 (June or so)
Q3: Bayonetta 3 (September release); Super Mario Party DLC;
Q4: BotW 2 (December release); new Wario Ware IP (considering how they're innovating with the whole ring fit gimmick, I can see them doing something similar for a new Wario Ware game).

That's it. I feel like I'm being super generous, though.

Clov

Oct 25, 2017
That's true! But I thought the majority of Nintendo's mobile games were developed mostly, if not all, in-house? I wonder what happened to the The Legend of Zelda game that was reported on in 2017?

I know MiiTomo, Mario Run, and Mario Kart are in-house. FE Heroes is by Intelligent Systems, and I think Animal Crossing is by ND Cube. Dragalia is by CyGames, and Dr Mario was mainly developed by LINE (I think).

As for Zelda, I'm assuming they're working on it. It was probably quite early when they announced it, like Mario Kart Tour.

Speaking of mobile games, something I'd like to see in 2020: a console Dragalia game! It's my favorite game to play on my phone right now, but I'd love some kind of Switch spin-off. A Musou game would be a good fit.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
I'm fairly on board with this prediction. However, I'd cross the new Mario Kart IP (I'm thinking this will come 2021) and Mario Odyssey 2. BotW 2 is probably the most likely out of those 3, because we've already been teased with it. I'd also cross SMP 2 since SMP was just released not long ago, but I can see them releasing DLC for the game.

My prediction for 2020 would go as the following:

Q1: Animal Crossing; Smash DLC character-5; Brain Training
Q2: Pikmin (either 3 deluxe or 4; I'm leaning more towards 4 and definitely a late summer release); Bravely Default 2 (June or so)
Q3: Bayonetta 3 (September release); Super Mario Party DLC;
Q4: BotW 2 (December release); new Wario Ware IP (considering how they're innovating with the whole ring fit gimmick, I can see them doing something similar for a new Wario Ware game).

That's it. I feel like I'm being super generous, though.
You forgot to place Xenoblade HD and TMS #FE.

Also just in terms of number of releases here is how many they have per quarter this year (you seem to count published games too) :

Q1 : 3 (NSMBUDX, Tetris 99, Yoshi)
Q2 : 3 (Labo VR, Cadence of Hyrule, Super Mario Maker 2)
Q3 : 7 (Dragon Quest Builders 2, MUA3, Fire Emblem, Astral Chain, DxM, Link's Awakening, Dragon Quest XI S)
Q4 : 3 (RingFit Adventure, Luigi's Mansion 3, Pokémon)

They won't have only 1 retail game in Q3, they love that quarter so you'll need a couple more games.

Oct 27, 2017
Thinking more and more about it and Odyssey 2 is 100% coming in 2020.
Look Odyssey could release a lot sooner than in October 2017 (but of course they needed it for Holidays), in January 2017 Koizumi said that "development is considerably finished". I am admitting that things like resolution etc. were improved since E3 demo to release but still.
I believe that sequel could start development well before Odyssey's launch.
It's Odyssey 2 or Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker sequel for 2020.

I don't really see a 2020 release for Odyssey 2. I'm leaning more towards BotW 2 releasing next year because we've been already seen a teaser of the game. Captain Toad sequel for sure! I completely forgot about that! That's a way more plausible 2020 release title. Odyssey 2 I can see for early 2021.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Speaking of mobile games, something I'd like to see in 2020: a console Dragalia game! It's my favorite game to play on my phone right now, but I'd love some kind of Switch spin-off. A Musou game would be a good fit.

Make it less gacha and less f2p and add some coop and i would take the same game with the beat em up mechanics

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't really see a 2020 release for Odyssey 2. I'm leaning more towards BotW 2 releasing next year because we've been already seen a teaser of the game. Captain Toad sequel for sure! I completely forgot about that! That's a way more plausible 2020 release title. Odyssey 2 I can see for early 2021.
Just because we've seen BotW 2 first doesn't mean it's coming first. We saw Animal Crossing and Luigi's Mansion 3 last year. We saw Super Mario Maker 2, Links Awakening and Astral Chain early this year. Those 3 games released before Luigi's Mansion 3 and AC

LukasManak22

Jan 10, 2018
Just because we've seen BotW 2 first doesn't mean it's coming first. We saw Animal Crossing and Luigi's Mansion 3 last year. We saw Super Mario Maker 2, Links Awakening and Astral Chain early this year. Those 3 games released before Luigi's Mansion 3 and AC
Yep. And Mario games in particular are revealed very close to their launch.
Few examples.
Super Mario 3D World - revealed at E3 2013 - released November 2013 (I know it was briefly announced in January 2013 Direct but still).
Super Mario Odyssey - included in Switch reveal video - revealed Switch Presentation in January 2017 - released October 2017
Super Mario Maker 2 - revealed February 2019 - released June 2019
And list goes on, but it's also imply other Mario games not made by EPD.

Last edited:

LukasManak22

Jan 10, 2018
There can always be some development issues or Zelda team will want more time, it's open world game and things can go wrong like with first Botw. They will sure upgrade it's visuals since Botw2 is Switch only.
But with Odyssey, everything is already here, ..And as i remember Mario games don't have any issues with development.

Tialo

Dec 4, 2019
From a development perspective, there shouldn't be any problems to release an odyssey sequel in 2020. This game would obviously be built on a lot of structures from Odyssey. They will most probably use the same game engine, same graphic engine, very similar UI and controls, the same core gameplay and mechanics, cut content and ideas and maybe even some assets from it and so on (comparable to Galaxy 1 and 2). It should be very doable for EPD Toyko to develop such a game in 2.5 till 3 years, even more because they have done nothing noticeable since the release in october 2017.

But maybe they have two projects in development simultaneously. One "smaller" game like CT2 (which will be released 2020) and then Odyssey 2 for 2021. This could be a possibility I guess. But if they only have one game in development, then it should surely in 2020 (especially if BotW2 should be delayed to 2021).

Kevin360

OG Direct OP
Oct 25, 2017
Did something happen for the thread to explode a couple pages?

Or is it just... speculation?

Clov

Oct 25, 2017
Not that I think it will happen, but who would be a good fit for an Eternal Darkness sequel? I'm not sure who Nintendo could reach out to to develop it.

Magic-Man

User requested ban
Feb 5, 2019
Epic Universe
Alright, here's an ambitious (but reasonable) prediction list:

Q1
  • Tokyo Mirage Sessions
  • Animal Crossing
  • Brain Training
  • Smash Ultimate Fighter Pass Character 5: Master Chief
  • E-Shop Multiplayer Title
Q2
  • Pikmin 3 Deluxe
  • Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive Edition
  • Super Mario 3D World Deluxe
  • E-Shop Title
  • Smash Ultimate Fighter Pass Character 6: Travis Touchdown
Q3
  • No More Heroes 3
  • Bayonetta 3
  • Mario Kart 9
  • 2D Metroid
  • E-Shop Title
  • Smash Ultimate Fighter Pass Character 7: Monster Hunter Rep
Q4
  • Detective Pikachu 2
  • The Legend of Zelda: Shadow of the Past
  • Switch-Exclusive Monster Hunter
I also think we'll see a new IP somewhere, but I dunno who will make it or when it'll release.

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017

I've been saying this since the game came out on mobile phones. However, I'd much rather have something like what CyGames is doing with Granblue Fantasy Re:Link. I bet Nintendo could get Marvelous First Studio to do it. They did great work on Deus X Machina and the Switch version of God Eater 3.

Clov

Oct 25, 2017
I've been saying this since the game came out on mobile phones. However, I'd much rather have something like what CyGames is doing with Granblue Fantasy Re:Link. I bet Nintendo could get Marvelous First Studio to do it. They did great work on Deus X Machina and the Switch version of God Eater 3.

Sounds more ambitious, but I like it! That would be pretty great to see. CyGames themselves could always develop it, though.

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Sounds more ambitious, but I like it! That would be pretty great to see. CyGames themselves could always develop it, though.

I am honestly not familiar with how big CyGames is but I just assumed that between Re:Link (which will most likely be a GaaS), Project Awakening and whetever else they're working on, they might be spread pretty thin. That said, it's possible they already have something DL-related in the works.

Dragoncaine

Jun 5, 2019
Insiders saying a January direct seems possible (not based on inside info, just logic and speculation) plus thirst equals crazed nonsense.
Nate said he knows something regarding an upcoming release that, while not explicitly tied to a Direct announcement, makes him think a January Direct is very likely. That's more than just logic and speculation - sounds like a fairly big 3rd party announcement at the least that would probably be at home in a Jan direct.

Oct 27, 2017
United States
I know MiiTomo, Mario Run, and Mario Kart are in-house. FE Heroes is by Intelligent Systems, and I think Animal Crossing is by ND Cube. Dragalia is by CyGames, and Dr Mario was mainly developed by LINE (I think).

As for Zelda, I'm assuming they're working on it. It was probably quite early when they announced it, like Mario Kart Tour.

That would be cool to see! How are you enjoying Dragalia Lost? The only mobile games from Nintendo that I invested significant time into were Super Mario Run and Animal Crossing: Pocket Camp. Pocket Camp grew stale pretty quick for me once it became overly driven by in-app purchases. I enjoyed checking in every few hours and making sure to keep my catalog at 100% completion but was not willing to start throwing money at the game once Fortune Cookies were introduced. On the other hand, Super Mario Run was pretty decent, considering the cost of $9.99 to unlock the full game. I still occasionally go back to Toad Rally to get a quick platformer fix.

Clov

Oct 25, 2017
I am honestly not familiar with how big CyGames is but I just assumed that between Re:Link (which will most likely be a GaaS), Project Awakening and whetever else they're working on, they might be spread pretty thin. That said, it's possible they already have something DL-related in the works.

I'm not too sure how many teams CyGames has either, but I'm definitely interested in seeing more console efforts from them in general.

That would be cool to see! How are you enjoying Dragalia Lost? The only mobile games from Nintendo that I invested significant time into were Super Mario Run and Animal Crossing: Pocket Camp. Pocket Camp grew stale pretty quick for me once it became overly driven by in-app purchases. I enjoyed checking in every few hours and making sure to keep my catalog at 100% completion but was not willing to start throwing money at the game once Fortune Cookies were introduced. On the other hand, Super Mario Run was pretty decent, considering the cost of $9.99 to unlock the full game. I still occasionally go back to Toad Rally to get a quick platformer fix.

I'm really liking Dragalia! I still play Fire Emblem Heroes from time to time, but Dragalia's really hooked me. Never paid any money for it, and I've still gotten most of the units I've wanted! They've really improved the gacha elements since launch; they give away a lot of free currency and free summons, and it's a lot more fair than before. The actual gameplay is great for my daily commute too! Simple, but very fun.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nate said he knows something regarding an upcoming release that, while not explicitly tied to a Direct announcement, makes him think a January Direct is very likely. That's more than just logic and speculation - sounds like a fairly big 3rd party announcement at the least that would probably be at home in a Jan direct.

That more or less how I saw it. Zippo said to trust Nate and he doesn't think we'll have to wait long for the direct

Fintendo

Jun 5, 2019
"Before this Nintendo Direct starts, here is a popular game coming to our console made by Plarium Global Ltd, here is Linus Sebastian to tell us more..."

Status
Not open for further replies.