• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Alright gang, how does the Pokémon Direct affect our chances?

• #TeamAppetizer (a Direct will come between 1/14 and 1/17)

Votes: 806 70.6%
  • #TeamEntrée (this is the main course; another Direct won’t come until later)

Votes: 237 20.8%
  • I'm on #TeamAppetizer, but I don't necessarily think it will happen next week.

Votes: 99 8.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nevermeltice

One Winged Slayer
Feb 10, 2019
I say this as someone who is optimistic about this year.

My only concern about 2020 is that Nintendo might lean a little too hard on re-releases of older stuff as a crutch to fill out their calendar. Nintendo has already officially announced Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE and Xenoblade Chronicles 1 remaster/remake for this year. I can also confirm that Nintendo has (at least) two more unannounced Wii U ports. They are not difficult to guess because there aren't many Wii U games left to port.

Also, if you aren't into Animal Crossing, then the first 3-4 months of 2020 won't be super amazing for you personally. Nintendo is obviously treating Animal Crossing as their big March title, so that's something people will just need to accept. And as we saw with 2019, Nintendo likes to dump most of their biggest releases in the second half of the year. Which typically makes the pacing for the first half of the year slower by comparison.

Thank you so much for everything you do.

SurTAR

Dec 9, 2018
I want Nintendo Badge Arcade back :(

The Switch menu is too simple and we don't even have Netflix nor Spotify

Magic-Man

User requested ban
Feb 5, 2019
Epic Universe

My only concern about 2020 is that Nintendo might lean a little too hard on re-releases of older stuff as a crutch to fill out their calendar. Nintendo has already officially announced Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE and Xenoblade Chronicles 1 remaster/remake for this year. I can also confirm that Nintendo has (at least) two more unannounced Wii U ports. They are not difficult to guess because there aren't many Wii U games left to port.

Also, if you aren't into Animal Crossing, then the first 3-4 months of 2020 won't be super amazing for you personally. Nintendo is obviously treating Animal Crossing as their big March title, so that's something people will just need to accept. And as we saw with 2019, Nintendo likes to dump most of their biggest releases in the second half of the year. Which typically makes the pacing for the first half of the year slower by comparison.

Yeah, this all makes sense. The two Wii-U ports are 3D World and Pikmin 3, book it, and it sounds like May has something which is nice.

Nevermeltice

One Winged Slayer
Feb 10, 2019
Since Emily basically confirmed SM3DW port is a lock for this year, I really wonder what EPD is doing for the next Mario game. If memory serves me rightm Nintendo was done with Odyssey quite fast and there were reports they'd been sitting on it for a few months just waiting for the holiday period to roll by. If a new 3D Mario game comes out next year, it'll have been a four-year gap between Odyssey and whatever they're cooking up.

olobolger

Oct 31, 2017
Andalusia

Thanks Emily. As someone that didn't own a Wii U, I'm fine with the ports being 3D World and Pikmin 3.

Geg

Oct 25, 2017
3D World and Pikmin 3 are the most obvious choices but I'm still holding out hope for a W101 port

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
well I was saying Odyssey 2 made sense for 2021. You want to spread out your two big franchises. 3D World tells me no Odyssey this year

OP
OP

Raccoon

May 31, 2019
I'm altering my predictions for the year. Odyssey 2 doesn't exist. They've broken from the 2 year 3D Mario sequel cycle and are doing something completely different. Meanwhile, a 3D World port is coming this year. Kind of disappointing, but 3D World might be fun to play with people

Pokémon

Oct 27, 2017
Most of us knew Animal Crossing would be THE title in Q1 and we have seen in the last few years that Nintendo doesn't really care about their line up until summer. I have to admit that I am worried about the re-releases she mentioned. I said it last year but I hope Nintendo doesn't get too comfortable and just starts to remaster and remake their older games.

Magic-Man

User requested ban
Feb 5, 2019
Epic Universe
I'm altering my predictions for the year. Odyssey 2 doesn't exist. They've broken from the 2 year 3D Mario sequel cycle and are doing something completely different. Meanwhile, a 3D World port is coming this year. Kind of disappointing, but 3D World might be fun to play with people

As someone who never had a Wii-U and is planning on getting a Switch soon, I'm completely fine with 3D World coming over this year. Just add another world into it please.

Soulsis

Oct 25, 2017
I'm so disappointed that the next potential Pikmin release is a port from 6-7 years ago instead of a sequel. Like, why

LukasManak22

Jan 10, 2018
Odyssey 2 exist. Odyssey sold incredibly well, and Cappy is very good mechanic to be in just one game. Odyssey was pretty much done in mid 2017 and they were only waiting for Holidays. If not in 2020 Odyssey is coming in 2021.

MaitreWakou

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 15, 2018
Toulouse, France
All I need is Detective Club, and it'll be the best year the Switch has ever had!
Yeah, honestly as hype as I am for 2020, my biggest hope for this direct is to finally have words about it coming to the west.
Like, I'm certain it'll come at least to Europe, but finally have official words in the direct is my biggest hope, and would probably be the highlight of the direct for me.

Also, if you aren't into Animal Crossing, then the first 3-4 months of 2020 won't be super amazing for you personally. Nintendo is obviously treating Animal Crossing as their big March title, so that's something people will just need to accept.
People better not act like if Q1 has nothing just because they don't care about Animal. Animal Crossing is one of their biggest IP, and has been the most awaited game along with Smash since Switch's reveal.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

as someone who didn't have a wii u, i treat all those games as new, but i understand why too many wii u ports might be disappointing for some people.

Nevermeltice

One Winged Slayer
Feb 10, 2019
Okay so I'm thinking:

September: Super Mario 3D World
October: Bayonetta 3
November: Breath of the Wild 2

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah if 3D World is coming this year (anytime outside of Q1) then Odyssey 2 is definitely not happening this year.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, it's definitely a good idea. But it does seem to suggest that there won't be an Odyssey 2. I'm betting on something completely new in 2022
How does it suggest that? It suggest they don't want 2 3D Mario's in the same year. It suggests they don't want 3D Mario and 3D Zelda in the same year again.

OP
OP

Raccoon

May 31, 2019
Odyssey 2 exist. Odyssey sold incredibly well, and Cappy is very good mechanic to be in just one game. Odyssey was pretty much done in mid 2017 and they were only waiting for Holidays. If not in 2020 Odyssey is coming in 2021.
Eh, maybe. All we can safely assume now is that there's no Odyssey 2 in 2020

Kiro

Oct 27, 2017
Ottawa, Canada
If I liked Stardew Valley (mainly the farming aspect and less so the social part), would I like animal Crossing? Never tried the series before.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, honestly as hype as I am for 2020, my biggest hope for this direct is to finally have words about it coming to the west.
Like, I'm certain it'll come at least to Europe, but finally have official words in the direct is my biggest hope, and would probably be the highlight of the direct for me.

People better not act like if Q1 has nothing just because they don't care about Animal. Animal Crossing is one of their biggest IP, and has been the most awaited game along with Smash since Switch's reveal.
Nah you already know how this will go. "animal Crossing isn't my taste so Nintendo had a huge drought in early 2020"

OP
OP

Raccoon

May 31, 2019
How does it suggest that? It suggest they don't want 2 3D Mario's in the same year. It suggests they don't want 3D Mario and 3D Zelda in the same year again.
Based on past games' development cycles, an Odyssey 2 would be done by now. I don't think they'd move a huge real game to leave space for a filler port. They're selling a filler port because the real game isn't ready yet, which to me suggests it's something big and different. If Odyssey 2 were delayed because of a 3D World port, that would sort of be the tail wagging the dog, wouldn't it?

As someone who really likes Odyssey I take solace in the fact that I'm usually wrong

jeelybeans

Oct 25, 2017
So, if SM3DW is coming to the Switch...I never played it. Same with Odyssey actually. What are the pros/cons of each?

LukasManak22

Jan 10, 2018
So looks like Pikmin 3 for Switch is pretty much lock for this Direct. Do we think they will show Pikmin 4? Just briefly or tell us that it actually exists, i can see fans go crazy when Pikmin 3 is revealed for Switch but not a single mention of Pikmin 4.

Magic-Man

User requested ban
Feb 5, 2019
Epic Universe
Based on past games' development cycles, an Odyssey 2 would be done by now. I don't think they'd move a huge real game to leave space for a filler port. They're selling a filler port because the real game isn't ready yet, which to me suggests it's something big and different. If Odyssey 2 were delayed because of a 3D World port, that would sort of be the tail wagging the dog, wouldn't it?

As someone who really likes Odyssey I take solace in the fact that I'm usually wrong

Who said it was delayed for a port? I think Nintendo just wants to space out the big releases a little (we're probably getting BOTW2 and a Splatoon spin-off this year, and probably something big from the Mario Kart team).

Frankish

Oct 25, 2017
USA
Don't care about Animal Crossing at all, but I have a massive backlog. And I skipped Wii and Wii U, so ports are basically new games for me. I really want to play 3d World and Pikmin 3. So I'm more than fine with this first half of 2020.

Bring on some Metroid in the fall.

GuEiMiRrIRoW

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
The 1st quarter will be weak. They will all guns blazing on November and December.
I'm confident on that. I would expect another zelda plus mario in the end/beginning of 2020/2021.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If you haven't played 3D World it's one of the best Mario games ever. You can do 4 player co-op which is fun as hell. You get points and scored at the end of each levels. It's not fully open levels. The charm and the music is amazing for this game

Oct 26, 2017
If I liked Stardew Valley (mainly the farming aspect and less so the social part), would I like animal Crossing? Never tried the series before.
They're very different games so not necessarily. They're both very chill games that involve you taking things at your own pace so, if that's a big part of the appeal for you, then maybe you should look into it

Status
Not open for further replies.