• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Alright gang, how does the Pokémon Direct affect our chances?

• #TeamAppetizer (a Direct will come between 1/14 and 1/17)

Votes: 806 70.6%
  • #TeamEntrée (this is the main course; another Direct won’t come until later)

Votes: 237 20.8%
  • I'm on #TeamAppetizer, but I don't necessarily think it will happen next week.

Votes: 99 8.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

jdstorm

Jan 6, 2018
I agree, Metroid needs a visual overhaul. Nintendo need to determine what the pillars of the series actually are as well, and figure out a way to reshape and rejuvenate them in interesting ways.

Mario has constantly reinvented himself and Zelda has finally begun to evolve. Metroid needs to keep what people love about it, without remaking the same game over and over again.

The Pillars of Metroid are basically Destiny minus the GAAS loot bullshit.

1. Pretty but not photorealistic artstyle
2. Giant world made up of interconnected zones with multiple paths to navigate
3. New area's/paths opening up when you gain new abilities (Destiny uses Level gating, Metroid uses tool/skill gating but it's functionally the same)
4. Isolation... Try playing Destiny by yourself
5. Platforming in an FPS (See Vault of Glass and Kingsfall raid) It's been a while since I played Destiny 2 but from what I remember it had more platforming then the first.
6. Cool bosses

That's the core of what Metroid is. Except Metroid has an Iconic main character in Samas so you can have actual plot without having to pretend like every person in the game is the same special universe saving hero.

BozPaggs

One Winged Slayer
Jan 11, 2019
London, United Kingdom
If you were to come up to me and ask me to create the antithesis of what I thought a cool Sci-Fi villain would be I'd call him Sylux and have him look like this:

250px-Sylux_mph_Artwork.png
Bit harsh dont you think, the design is almost 14 years old and besides that his brief appearance in Federation Force featured a slight redesign. Also do you really think Retro aren't going to redesign Sylux? (Provided he's in Prime 4)

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
Yes! Keep the game and add online!
The game has lots of things that should be fixed, but as a template for a 4-player online coop seems great. They can repeat the exact kind of experience in a sequel (short story, lots of sidequest) and develop all the sidecontent with multiplayer in mind. The first X game already had raid bosses and a world big enough for a 4-player or so coop exp, I think they know how to make good worlds and that's one of the biggest aspects for a online game. It's a genre Nintendo could benefit from.

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
X was only missing the extremely expensive, time and resource consuming part of being an MMO, the Massively Multiplayer Online part. That and only having about as much content as something like Warhammer Online at launch.

Plum

May 31, 2018
I dunno, I feel like expecting Nintendo to make Metroid any edgier or more realistic is far-fetched. Metroid isn't whimsical or anything, but I don't think it's about to get a grittier reboot anytime soon, as it's about as close to gritty as any Nintendo series gets already.

Though I do think it needs a change, and an art-style overhaul would be a really good start in that direction. Samus Returns looked... fine, for a 3DS game, but I'm hoping the next 2D Metroid has a more interesting and well-defined aesthetic.

Recent Metroid games haven't been anywhere near as edgy or realistic as they could be imo. Samus Returns, despite being a good game, still feels like it has its sensibilities of what was 'cool' stuck in the NES era. Even Super Metroid's title screen was cooler than Samus Returns. Metroid Prime 3 still kept much of the same atmosphere that made MP1 so cool but it also demystified Dark Samus, introduced 'The Galactic Federation' and introdued Samus' fellow Bounty Hunters aka The Dork Squad.

To better contextualise what I mean by 'edgier' and 'more realistic' here; I don't mean that games need to veer into Bomberman: Act Zero territory to be considered. I know it sounds crazy but Breath of the Wild and Mario Odyssey were edgier and more realistic than their predecessors despite both being very much in line with their 'universal' target audiences. Skyward Sword and Mario 3D World, despite being good games, are not cool in any way shape or form; BotW and Mario Odyssey, however, are the kind of games that I wouldn't feel embarrassed for playing in front of my cool friends that I totally have.

Bit harsh dont you think, the design is almost 14 years old and besides that his brief appearance in Federation Force featured a slight redesign. Also do you really think Retro aren't going to redesign Sylux? (Provided he's in Prime 4)

I'm not judging Metroid Prime 4 or a potential new 2D Metroid game based on that design so I don't see how it's harsh. Sylux's design and name are laughable and indicative of where I feel Metroid as a brand is at right now, but that doesn't mean the franchise can't change going forward. However if Metroid Prime 4's aesthetic is the equvialent of "Sylux but with a few more bells and whistles," then I just don't see it being cool. Breath of the Wild and Mario Odyssey fundamentally changed parts of their equivalent series' aesthetics, and that's what I feel Metroid should do here.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
X was only missing the extremely expensive, time and resource consuming part of being an MMO, the Massively Multiplayer Online part. That and only having about as much content as something like Warhammer Online at launch.
I think that a complete MMO is too much for Monolith and Nintendo, they would need to put a lot of resources into the game and keep updating it, and honestly I'd prefer Monolith doing their JRPGs instead of being another MMO company. And Nintendo is not that good with online games as we know.

But developing the next X with a multiplayer gameplay in mind (as I said something like 4 player coop, maybe some character interaction in the city but keeping it limited) can greatly improve the game appeal.

N75

self-requested temp ban
Oct 25, 2017
I have quite a few issues with XBX. The battle system and stats being needlessly convoluted compared to XB1, having to physically go to party member locations to add them and needing to level them up individially (didn't help that Elma and Lin were required for most story missions leaving only one spot left), the music being a downgrade and less varied since the five main regions only have their day/night themes.

Plus that I don't really think open world and levels mix that well, which might have been avoided if they actually went full-on MMO after they gutted the story/characters part-way into development.

I'd probably give it another chance if a Switch port happened since I did put quite a bit of time into the original (gave up where you fight that tiger thing in Sylvalum), but holy shit the party issue needs to be fixed.

I never figured out how Soul Voices actually worked lol.

Nevermeltice

One Winged Slayer
Feb 10, 2019
Roughly 16 people from Intelligent Systems worked on Three Houses. Mostly directing, planning, design and story I believe.

Thank you! So few people from IS working on 3H does give some food for thought; I wonder what they've been up to but most predictions concerning Paper Mario should be accurate. The only Paper Mario games I've played were the 3DS ones so I for sure am not the biggest fan of the series - The Dream Team was 20 hours too long and Paper Jam was uninspired and failed to grab my attention, although I've beaten both. I really want to give the more acclaimed titles a spin but I kind of am hoping for remakes just so I don't need to scour for good deals on older consoles.

As much as I'd love to have remakes of the SNES FE titles, I really am looking forward to the Tellius games the most. I'd pay full price a pop.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
The combat system in Xc2, even if it has some problems with the gacha and can feel repetitive during the end section of the regular game (superbosses are a completely different thing), seems to me a far better improvement over Xc1 than what XcX did. I love mechas, and the class system was not bad, but it felt convoluted and kind of bland overall.

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
With all this talk of Intelligent Systems, I am going to say two words and then pour one out for our old friend....

Advance Wars

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia
The only Paper Mario games I've played were the 3DS ones so I for sure am not the biggest fan of the series - The Dream Team was 20 hours too long and Paper Jam was uninspired and failed to grab my attention, although I've beaten both.
Neither of those are Paper Mario games (the latter is a Mario & Luigi game with a Paper Mario crossover element); though to be fair, the actual 3DS Paper Mario game is far worse that either of those.

Nevermeltice

One Winged Slayer
Feb 10, 2019
Dream Team was a Mario & Luigi game, the other mario RPG series (well, there's also the Squaresoft one) that was developed by the alredy gone Alpha Dream.

Neither of those are Paper Mario games (the latter is a Mario & Luigi game with a Paper Mario crossover element); though to be fair, the actual 3DS Paper Mario game is far worse that either of those.

That was a total brain fart on my part. I remember getting Sticker Star for free (not sure how) but I deleted it after fifteen minutes, especially when I got word that the battle system was crap and mostly skippable. Color Splash looked pretty but it was really hard finding a copy for a fair price where I am so I held off on it in hopes it'd get a port but I doubt it will now.

Ozzie

One Winged Slayer
Jan 12, 2018
Thank you! So few people from IS working on 3H does give some food for thought; I wonder what they've been up to but most predictions concerning Paper Mario should be accurate. The only Paper Mario games I've played were the 3DS ones so I for sure am not the biggest fan of the series - The Dream Team was 20 hours too long and Paper Jam was uninspired and failed to grab my attention, although I've beaten both. I really want to give the more acclaimed titles a spin but I kind of am hoping for remakes just so I don't need to scour for good deals on older consoles.

As much as I'd love to have remakes of the SNES FE titles, I really am looking forward to the Tellius games the most. I'd pay full price a pop.
Although I am curious about something, how many people from Intelligent Systems work on Fire Emblem Heroes? I believe the director of Fates works on it.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
The combat system in Xc2, even if it has some problems with the gacha and can feel repetitive during the end section of the regular game (superbosses are a completely different thing), seems to me a far better improvement over Xc1 than what XcX did. I love mechas, and the class system was not bad, but it felt convoluted and kind of bland overall.
Especially since Torna's battle system was an improvement over the original game's.

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017
Metroid has an identity and the pillars are well established. Much in the same way that almost the entirety of the 3D Zelda series has just been remaking Ocarina of Time, so too has Metroid basically been remaking Super (or, by extension, the original). And that's fine, because the implications of "remaking" are mostly facetious, and more just a means of identifying a moment where the franchise found its identity. Games can, and often do, find ways to rejuvenate themselves while still keeping their core identity. Originality comes from reimagining not the franchise, but the intricacies of the pieces that make it up. In Zelda, for the longest time, it was the items and how we used them. In Metroid it's largely the same.

Not that I'm suggesting Metroid also couldn't have some major moment, like Breath of the Wild, where the series is turned upside down a bit but still retains the essence of its identity. But it's a difficult line to tread, because just as easily can it feel refreshed as it can eroded and rebuilt into something entirely different. And at that point, why bother? It's just a new game with an old franchise attached to it.

Metroid when it's not overly cartoony, and a bit grimier, is my preference not just because of aesthetic and tone but also because it diversifies Nintendo's line-up. I've said it before, but Nintendo's software identity is distinctly Japanese for most part, and Western influence helps diversify. It's exactly what Rare, Silicon Knights (if briefly) contributed in the past, and what Retro and Next Level contribute today. Metroid, despite obviously being Japanese in origin, has largely transformed into something distinctly Western in design sensibilities, and I think it's important it stays this way (to Nintendo's credit though, it's by far their most "Western" series even when they develop it internally).

I'm probably over protective of Metroid, but only because of Nintendo's souring on the series for awhile, and my firm belief in not eroding franchises to replace them with something completely different yet act like fans should be happy. It's like when Miyamoto, I think it was, was quizzed on why we haven't seen a new F-Zero, and his argument was that they would return to it when they had an original idea to make it fresh. Which is fine, except this is around the time Mario Kart 8 had dropped or been announced and they'd shoe-horned anti-gravity into it. And the same company continues to peddle side scrolling Mario games that we all love yet are frequently just the same game we've always been playing with, now, multiplayer bolted on.

Anyway, one of 2020's ported Wii U game should be The Wonderful 101, but it won't be, because Nintendo cruelly sees no interest in it. Dogs.

Moltres006

Banned
Jan 5, 2019
We should check the uk site tomorrow to see if they screw up once again and accidently leak the final dlc character.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
Anyway, one of 2020's ported Wii U game should be The Wonderful 101, but it won't be, because Nintendo cruelly sees no interest in it. Dogs.
It's a hard game to sell, they tried it on the U and didn't work, and even if the Switch is far more popular, a sentai-inspired action game that uses a convoluted and sometimes frustrating control scheme is not the most appealing thing for most players. Astral Chain did well, and even if the game has lots of unconventional elements for the kind of game it is, the combat system is easier to grasp and learn and the side activities are less intrusive and lots of times optional.

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017
It's a hard game to sell, they tried it on the U and didn't work, and even if the Switch is far more popular, a sentai-inspired action game that uses a convoluted and sometimes frustrating control scheme is not the most appealing thing for most players. Astral Chain did well, and even if the game has lots of unconventional elements for the kind of game it is, the combat system is easier to grasp and learn and the side activities are less intrusive and lots of times optional.

Look.
I understand the reasoning and logic.
I really do.
I don't even think it'd get much of a second wind. I think it'd do better by virtue of market penetration of the hardware versus the Wii U, but I have no faith it'd suddenly light the charts on fire.
I get Nintendo's ambivalence.

But I really, really, really, really, really want it.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
September's direct was at 6 pm eastern
February's direct was at 5 pm eastern
September 2018's direct was at 6 pm eastern
March 2018's direct was at 5 pm eastern

I guess the January direct could be 5 pm eastern

NabiscoFelt

One Winged Slayer
Aug 15, 2019
Are they always this vague about maintenance details? "Some software", "certain services", "may be" it sounds like they don't want to specify, but it can be their default message.

It's their default message. The wording is irrelevant, honestly. The timing is the only vaguely interesting thing

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
But I really, really, really, really, really want it.
Maybe if they see that there's enough demand a digital version will be released. Porting it doesn't seem a big problem, they already ported 2 P* games that use the same engine earlier and I'm sure that porting a 3rd one should be easy enough, but maybe Nintendo doesn't want to invest in cartridges and logistics. TMS will be released in a few days and it's also a really niche game, they didn't even translate the game to any language besides english or dub it, so they don't expect to sell that well. If TW101 is sold as a cheap (30 €) digital game I think it can be a success, but maybe they already considered that this will devaluate the brand and maybe Kamiya wants to develop a sequel.

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017
Maybe if they see that there's enough demand a digital version will be released. Porting it doesn't seem a big problem, they already ported 2 P* games that use the same engine earlier and I'm sure that porting a 3rd one should be easy enough, but maybe Nintendo doesn't want to invest in cartridges and logistics. TMS will be released in a few days and it's also a really niche game, they didn't even translate the game to any language besides english or dub it, so they don't expect to sell that well. If TW101 is sold as a cheap (30 €) digital game I think it can be a success, but maybe they already considered that this will devaluate the brand and maybe Kamiya wants to develop a sequel.

I think that's where my frustration stems from; I don't care if it doesn't get a physical release, but I cant imagine porting it would be overly difficult in the grand scheme of things. More costly than Bayonetta 2 for probably lesser return, but I'd be happy for that to be offset by a digital only release.

I feel that way about most stuff on the Wii U. Port it all, give it another chance.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
I think that's where my frustration stems from; I don't care if it doesn't get a physical release, but I cant imagine porting it would be overly difficult in the grand scheme of things. More costly than Bayonetta 2 for probably lesser return, but I'd be happy for that to be offset by a digital only release.

I feel that way about most stuff on the Wii U. Port it all, give it another chance.
If you think about it, most of Kamiya's games have been ported a lot: DmC1, Bayonetta, Okami, Re2 (remaked recently)... are available on most gaming devices today. But both TW101 and Viewtiful Joe seem to be the worst received games from his career. At least Joe had a Ps2 port, several sequels and a anime show, but even Capcom that loves to port every game is not using the series.

Maybe people just doesn't like sentai who knows.

Momo

Oct 25, 2017
Who knows where the next Xenoblade will go. Takahashi talked about doing something different from Xenoblade and Xenoblade X.

Maybe they'll do a modern day Xenoblade or some cyberpunk. Not sure

How about a game with a "Wild West" theme? 😝

Jokes aside, I'm totally expecting a different approach for the next game. When X came out, he wanted a more story-driven experience like the original game. The result was Xenoblade 2. This time, he wants go for something different. Takahashi always gets what he wants.

Harpoon

Oct 27, 2017

This sure is interesting given that little leak about TWEWY2 from a while back...

How about a game with a "Wild West" theme? 😝

Jokes aside, I'm totally expecting a different approach for the next game. When X came out, he wanted a more story-driven experience like the original game. The result was Xenoblade 2. This time, he wants go for something different. Takahashi always gets what he wants.

I actually think a wild west-themed Xenoblade could be cool. With Wild Arms dormant, there's a vacant spot for a wild west JRPG that must be filled!

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017
If you think about it, most of Kamiya's games have been ported a lot: DmC1, Bayonetta, Okami, Re2 (remaked recently)... are available on most gaming devices today. But both TW101 and Viewtiful Joe seem to be the worst received games from his career. At least Joe had a Ps2 port, several sequels and a anime show, but even Capcom that loves to port every game is not using the series.

Maybe people just doesn't like sentai who knows.

Nintendo being gatekeepers probably doesn't help matters, but who knows the specifics of the contract.

I think what surprises me most about the situation is Nintendo's recent flexibility with Platinum and ports yet The Wonderful 101 getting shafted. They were quite happy to fund porting both Bayonetta titles and giving them a physical release. Which I'm sure wasn't too hard, but nevertheless still a gamble. I thought Astral Chain was pretty disappointing, but there's no denying it's an enormous, expensive game that would have cost Nintendo a pretty penny, and it's inherently convoluted, obtuse combat system versus Bayonetta shows Nintendo is willing to gamble. With Bayonetta 3 on the horizon Nintendo seems very happy with their working relationship with Platinum.

The Wonderful 101 is probably my second favourite game from Platinum. It's a marvellous little gem that blossoms into something special once you get your head around the control scheme. It's also, much like Astral Chain, an enormous production effort from top to bottom; loaded with content, high quality assets and presentation, no expense spared on making it seem anything less than AAA. I just find it so frustration that Nintendo hasn't at least invested in a digital release on Switch. I would assume, by virtue of market penetration, it'd at least make its money back.

Unless Nintendo actually see it as a total dud and don't want it representing on their hardware.

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I will lose my fucking mind if TWEWY2 gets announced. That would be a bigger megaton for me than anything I expect from Nintendo.

After the Switch port didn't seem to do so hot, I gave up on a sequel happening.

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
I forgot they even released TWEWY on Switch, did it sell well? I know Nomura outright said that the final mix was a tester for seeing if they could make a sequel.

Anyway that would certainly be a hot announcement.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia
I forgot all about TWEWY2 happening, lol. Tansut already teased it last year, but that website business gives us reason to believe we might see it really soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.