• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Alright gang, how does the Pokémon Direct affect our chances?

• #TeamAppetizer (a Direct will come between 1/14 and 1/17)

Votes: 806 70.6%
  • #TeamEntrée (this is the main course; another Direct won’t come until later)

Votes: 237 20.8%
  • I'm on #TeamAppetizer, but I don't necessarily think it will happen next week.

Votes: 99 8.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
Never played an Animal Crossing game but I'll admit that the game look great. I think New Horizons is going to be my first so I wonder what should a newcommer know about the series !

Mickagau

Dec 11, 2018
France
Never played an Animal Crossing game but I'll admit that the game look great. I think New Horizons is going to be my first so I wonder what should a newcommer know about the series !
New Leaf was the first game I played, I bought it for cheap since I had nothing to play, I always thought AC was not for me and aimed at 6 years old girls and it is now one of my fav IP ever lol. I jumped in blind and I think that is the best thing to do honestly since the game is about starting a new life. Just go with an open mind and the idea that the game is not about reaching a certain point or doing big things but rather chill and do small things.

Melpomene

One Winged Slayer
Jun 9, 2019
Honestly? Nothing. The game tends to be really good at explaining concepts to the player, and it introduces them pretty slowly. Not to mention that, although New Horizons seems like it'll be a bit more "goal-oriented" than past titles, AC is a super low-stress series. Take your time, relax, and play a little every day, and if the game's for you, you're probably going to have a blast.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia
As someone who has been playing since the first localised installment on the GameCube, Animal Crossing is a really difficult franchise to sell. It's rare to find people with a mixed opinion, so essentially: you either get it, or you don't. Some view it as a series of chores, while others view it as a relaxing experience.

Animal Crossing is all about having your own experience; you have goals to work towards, but there's no need to worry about any urgency. You can take your time (in real-time) to do whatever you want to do; chat it up with villagers, decorate your house and town or just chill out in this world you've had a direct impact on. The wonder of Animal Crossing is your freedom as a player to spend your time however you want to spend it. To me personally, it's very comforting, and i've spent countless hours in these little worlds over the years, through ups and downs. AC is definitely what I would describe as "feel-good"; it's charm never fails to lift me up. I do have to warn you though, if you really get into it, AC is definitely addicting; i'm a little worried for my social life come March 20th, lol.

That's the best I could do; hope this was sufficient :)

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
New Leaf was the first game I played, I bought it for cheap since I had nothing to play, I always thought AC was not for me and aimed at 6 years old girls and it is now one of my fav IP ever lol. I jumped in blind and I think that is the best thing to do honestly since the game is about starting a new life. Just go with an open mind and the idea that the game is not about reaching a certain point or doing big things but rather chill and do small things.
Honestly? Nothing. The game tends to be really good at explaining concepts to the player, and it introduces them pretty slowly. Not to mention that, although New Horizons seems like it'll be a bit more "goal-oriented" than past titles, AC is a super low-stress series. Take your time, relax, and play a little every day, and if the game's for you, you're probably going to have a blast.
As someone who has been playing since the first localised installment on the GameCube, Animal Crossing is a really difficult franchise to sell. It's rare to find people with a mixed opinion, so essentially: you either get it, or you don't. Some view it as a series of chores, while others view it as a relaxing experience.

Animal Crossing is all about having your own experience; you have goals to work towards, but there's no need to worry about any urgency. You can take your time (in real-time) to do whatever you want to do; chat it up with villagers, decorate your house and town or just chill out in this world you've had a direct impact on. The wonder of Animal Crossing is your freedom as a player to spend your time however you want to spend it. To me personally, it's very comforting, and i've spent countless hours in these little worlds over the years, through ups and downs. AC is definitely what I would describe as "feel-good"; it's charm never fails to lift me up. I do have to warn you though, if you really get into it, AC is definitely addicting; i'm a little worried for my social life come March 20th, lol.

That's the best I could do; hope this was sufficient :)
Thanks a lot :D

Deleted member 426

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just wanted to jump in and say if a Super Metroid remake is announced I predict it'll be called Metroid: Super M

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
AC is gonna be huge. 15 million seller. I can imagine many Switch owners wanting to give it a try. The crafting type of stuff is appealing.

kurt

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Metroid remake would be nice if its done right. Done start with ninja mives like the 2 remake and other m... its not a ninja gaiden game

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017
Metroid remake would be nice if its done right. Done start with ninja mives like the 2 remake and other m... its not a ninja gaiden game

Metroid was already remade as Zero Mission.

I thought Samus Returns was an excellent remake. I was super cynical about the counter attack but ultimately felt it fit pretty well. It's a far cry from the highly athletic Samus we see in Other M. Samus Return's one big problem for me, which is subjective, is the tonal shift. It's a lot more vibrant and welcoming than the original lead you to believe.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I liked Samus Returns, but the whole melee counter was overdone. It felt like I was basically playing the game to use the same move over and over and over. Traversing through a level to counter...next enemy counter and counter...

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017
I liked Samus Returns, but the whole melee counter was overdone. It felt like I was basically playing the game to use the same move over and over and over. Traversing through a level to counter...next enemy counter and counter...

That was my other grievance, it did become a bit of a crutch to make encounters easy. But it didn't break the game for me. Probably because of being deprived of Metroid.

Yukiko

Feb 21, 2019
Spain
AC is gonna be huge. 15 million seller. I can imagine many Switch owners wanting to give it a try. The crafting type of stuff is appealing.

I'm not gonna lie, as someone who has dedicated hundreds of hours to past AC titles, I wasn't too excited for this one since I saw it as "more of the same old stuff" (which is good, don't get me wrong), but the ability of crafting items adds a new layer of experience that makes me wanna play it, I believe it's a step in the right direction to add more freedom to the player

Zalman

Oct 25, 2017
Personally I loved all the new gameplay mechanics introduced in Samus Returns. The melee counter and being able to aim freely were a nice way to shake up the formula.

kurt

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Metroid was already remade as Zero Mission.

I thought Samus Returns was an excellent remake. I was super cynical about the counter attack but ultimately felt it fit pretty well. It's a far cry from the highly athletic Samus we see in Other M. Samus Return's one big problem for me, which is subjective, is the tonal shift. It's a lot more vibrant and welcoming than the original lead you to believe.

Sorry, i mean super metroid. I agree on the metroid remake is how it should be done. I really dont like the meganics on the metroid 2 remake at all. For me, (for new metroid games) just keep it on shooting with some new moves that doesnt involve attacking directly.

Jun 2, 2019

I'm playing it and i'm on Area 3 right now. You really can go through the game without melee countering everything, moreso after getting the wave beam. Free aim and Melee counter makes for really dynamic fights

In fact, melee countering everything leaves you open in scenearios with really aggressive enemies. You have to combine your abilities and move constantly, it's a breath of fresh air after both classic Metroids and Mirror of Fate.

Deleted member 43657

Banned
May 19, 2018
The Samus Returns remake was excellent. The analog aiming felt great, the game has that classic Metroid feel, and the counter attack made Samus feel exceptionally strong.

More please!

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia
I definitely think the Melee Counter and Free Aim are great additions to Samus' 2D moveset; and I think they'll be better utilised in a brand-new Switch installment (especially free aiming, since they can map it to the second stick and allow Samus to move while using it).

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017
Sorry, i mean super metroid. I agree on the metroid remake is how it should be done. I really dont like the meganics on the metroid 2 remake at all. For me, (for new metroid games) just keep it on shooting with some new moves that doesnt involve attacking directly.

That's fair. I do think the core of Metroid should always be Samus' positioning and shooting.

I'm playing it and i'm on Area 3 right now. You really can go through the game without melee countering everything, moreso after getting the wave beam. Free aim and Melee counter makes for really dynamic fights

Yeah, this is more what I mean. Not that the game became reliant on melee counter, more that it made encounters easy. The main guts of Samus Returns that pleased me was the free aiming. Spent far more time shooting my enemies than countering them.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
I already know what Dark Cloud might post in reply to this, so lemme give this a try:

Color Splash has a passable metascore of 76, but it isn't even comparable to the first three installments (93, 87 and 85 in release order).
I have never come to understand that Sticker Star and Color Splash have practically the same metacritic when Color Splash is considered by everyone to be a clearly better game.

In the reviews I saw quite a few things that reminded me of Tropical Freeze and "It's fucking Donkey Kong".

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I have confidence MS will make a great new 2D Metroid game which I'm predicting for this year. Just being on the Switch will make it way better than Samus Returns. I despise that circle pad. The 3DS is not comfortable in my hands and it wasn't comfortable playing Samus Returns.

MS will get to start from ground zero will all fresh ideas, so we'll see what they're really capable of. I have high hopes.

MaitreWakou

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 15, 2018
Toulouse, France
Here's my biggest questions for the Switch. I'm really curious to find out the answers to these.
  1. The creative director (I think that's what he was) of Tropical Freeze returned to Retro recently. Does that mean that we might get another Donkey Kong Country game on the Switch, or is he just helping with Prime 4? Is Retro big enough to work on multiple IP at once?
  2. As we all know, the Smash team is currently working on fighters for Ultimate. But there's no way that all of the team is working on that. Should we be expecting a new game from the Smash team anytime soon? Obviously not another Smash game of course, but still.
  3. We're getting to that point in the Switches lifespan where most games released from now on will not see a sequel on this console. Does that mean we will see more DLC? Or will these games be left behind like Super Mario Party and MK8 Deluxe were?
  4. Are. We getting. A Switch Pro?!
  5. Will Nintendo let its internal teams go crazy after the mainline games sequels are finished (aka BOTW2 and Odyssey 2), or will they just go on to make the same kind of games for the next console?
1- It just means that he tried to work somewhere else, he didn't like it as much as working at Retro, he had the opportunity to come back, so he's back to work on whatever Nintendo makes him work on. Most likely Metroid Prime 4.

2- There's no "Smash team". It's a bunch of Bandai Namco devs. Those who aren't working anymore on DLC are probably currently working on the new Tales of, on what's next for Tekken, etc etc.

3- It depends. Super Mario Party 2 could release this year, and I'm positive you'd get another a sequel on Switch. It depends of what the leads want to do for each game. I mean, BOTW, Xenoblade 2, Arms, Splatoon 2, Mario Odyssey, Mario Tennis Aces, Smash Bros, Captain Toad, etc etc etc... Most of the Switch games got post launch content. Mario Kart 8 DX not getting new DLC tracks seems like a missed opportunity, but they might have felt that the package is already complete as it is. For Super Mario Party it was obviously in order to release another game asap.

4- Eh, I don't know. Don't see it happening in 2020 anyway.

5- 3D Zelda leads and 3D Mario leads already have a lot of artistic freedom anyway. The first BOTW and Odyssey are proof of that. Zelda will probably stay Botw-esq (it's the right thing to do, it was a revolution, you can't go back to classic style after that), but Mario team is pretty wild. You never know what they might do next.

Deleted member 9584

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Hopefully a possible TWEWY2 redesigns the way the controls work. The Switch game is just not enjoyable to play at all..

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
In the Gamexplain discussion so many of them were predicting Nintendo will announce BotW 2 is coming this year, but then they will delay it. How many times has Nintendo announced Zelda to release in the same year only to delay it to the next year?

PillFencer

Banned
Nov 15, 2018
Doesn't "bad" Paper Mario sell more than the old games ever did? I don't think we're getting a "back-to-roots" version of Paper Mario for this reason.
N64 Paper Mario - 1.37m
NGC Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door - 1.91m
WII Super Paper Mario - 4.32m
3DS Paper Mario: Sticker Star - 2.46m
WIU Paper Mario: Color Splash - <1.00m

I don't know, to me it seems more like it follows the success of the hardware it's on tbh, like most Mario games do.

takriel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
BotW 2 with a Switch Pro for Holiday 2020 do it Big N.

Jun 2, 2019
I have confidence MS will make a great new 2D Metroid game which I'm predicting for this year. Just being on the Switch will make it way better than Samus Returns. I despise that circle pad. The 3DS is not comfortable in my hands and it wasn't comfortable playing Samus Returns.

MS will get to start from ground zero will all fresh ideas, so we'll see what they're really capable of. I have high hopes.

Your gripes with the hardware has nothing to do with the quality of the game. Samus Returns is a great game that actually moves the series forward. If you can't enjoy it for what it is on its original hardware, dump it and play it on Citra

Chea996

Nov 4, 2017
Milan - Italy
Are we assuming the Direct is coming early to mid or mid to late January?

Also, when do you guys think they'll release Xenoblade? Do you think it'll be possible to play it during february before Animal Crossing comes out?

MisterSpo

One Winged Slayer
Feb 12, 2019
In the Gamexplain discussion so many of them were predicting Nintendo will announce BotW 2 is coming this year, but then they will delay it. How many times has Nintendo announced Zelda to release in the same year only to delay it to the next year?

I don't think they've announced a Zelda game as launching in the same year only to delay it - in the cases outlined below, the game was revealed with a release date scheduled for the following year. I think we've had this discussion before, but it's worth reiterating: many of the high-profile Zelda delays had extenuating circumstances which, in theory, won't be an issue this time.
  • Ocarina of Time was Nintendo's first 3D Zelda title, and they only realised what the N64 was capable of as they were creating it (the game vastly expanded in scope, initially being set within Ganon's Castle, ala Mario 64) [revealed 1995 - I think it was initially envisioned as releasing as early as 1996, not long after the N64 itself]
  • Twilight Princess was delayed initially due to Miyamoto's concerns about the title's quality (the 'upending the teatable' story), but then experienced a longer delay so that the Wii version of the game could be made [revealed 2004 as 'Coming Soon', second trailer in February 2005 revealed '2005' release, delayed later that year and again in early 2006]
  • Skyward Sword was delayed so that the game could be rebuilt around Motion Plus, which wasn't available when development started [teased in 2009, announced as 2010 release in early 2010 by Iwata (who wanted new Mario, Metroid and Zelda titles to launch in the same year), delayed to 2011 later in 2010]
  • Breath of the Wild was delayed because it completely rethought the conventions of the series, Nintendo's HD development problems etc, then because of issues with the physics engine [teased in 2013, revealed in 2014, delayed in early 2015 and again in early 2016]
In each case, the delayed game was announced a year or more before the planned release date. I still think BotW2 is likely for 2020 - there aren't extenuating hardware factors and Zelda has more resources devoted to it now than it ever has done in the past. It'd be foolish to say the game is a lock for 2020, because Nintendo will protect the game's quality ahead of commercial considerations, but I still think it's a likely 2020 game.

Last edited:

BozPaggs

One Winged Slayer
Jan 11, 2019
London, United Kingdom
wish that Samus Returns could appear on Switch with vastly improved graphics
I could see that happening after MP4, but I wonder what they'd do with the stuff on the bottom screen.

Also, when do you guys think they'll release Xenoblade? Do you think it'll be possible to play it during february before Animal Crossing comes out?
Early to mid, always.
I think H1 is likely but February is too soon. Happy to be proven wrong though.

MisterSpo

One Winged Slayer
Feb 12, 2019

All Directs are in the first two weeks of the month (since 2015), so a January Direct should happen in the next couple of weeks. I'd be very surprised if Xenoblade releases earlier than this summer - a number of us are guessing at June 2020, to mark 10 years since the original Japanese release.

I also think that Nintendo will want to give Xenoblade a good marketing push, given the success of Chronicles 2. They'll want to keep the franchise on a solid footing in terms of sales, so a few months head-in to a June release seems reasonable.

May 10, 2019
If Nintendo's on publishing for Bravely Default II outside of Japan, I can't see any reality where it's not at least two months after Xenoblade DE. They don't like to undermine specific targeted audiences by splitting their attentions (not to mention, screwing up launch window sales). I speculated Xenobblade for May and Bravely II for October and I'm pretty comfortable with that, but it could be June and September and it wouldn't hurt much of anything.

Also if the direct is this coming Tuesday, maybe we get the Kentucky Route Zero: TV Version announcement/shadowdrop there since chapter 5 on PC seems to be entering the realm of possibility then too.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
If Nintendo's on publishing for Bravely Default II outside of Japan, I can't see any reality where it's not at least two months after Xenoblade DE. They don't like to undermine specific targeted audiences by splitting their attentions (not to mention, screwing up launch window sales).

Also if the direct is this coming Tuesday, maybe we get the Kentucky Route Zero: TV Version announcement/shadowdrop there since chapter 5 on PC seems to be entering the realm of possibility then too.
DQB2 and Fire Emblem were only two weeks apart tho.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't think they've announced a Zelda game as launching in the same year only to delay it - in the cases outlined below, the game was revealed with a release date scheduled for the following year. I think we've had this discussion before, but it's worth reiterating: many of the high-profile Zelda delays had extenuating circumstances which, in theory, won't be an issue this time.
  • Ocarina of Time was Nintendo's first 3D Zelda title, and they only realised what the N64 was capable of as they were creating it (the game vastly expanded in scope, initially being set within Ganon's Castle, ala Mario 64) [revealed 1995 - I think it was initially envisioned as releasing as early as 1996, not long after the N64 itself]
  • Twilight Princess was delayed initially due to Miyamoto's concerns about the title's quality (the 'upending the teatable' story), but then experienced a longer delay so that the Wii version of the game could be made [revealed 2004 as 'Coming Soon', second trailer in February 2005 revealed '2005' release, delayed later that year and again in early 2006]
  • Skyward Sword was delayed so that the game could be rebuilt around Motion Plus, which wasn't available when development started [teased in 2009, announced as 2010 release in early 2010 by Iwata (who wanted new Mario, Metroid and Zelda titles to launch in the same year), delayed to 2011 later in 2010]
  • Breath of the Wild was delayed because it completely rethought the conventions of the series, Nintendo's HD development problems etc, then because of issues with the physics engine, then for a Switch version [teased in 2013, revealed in 2014, delayed in early 2015 and again in early 2016]
In each case, the delayed game was announced a year or more before the planned release date. I still think BotW2 is likely for 2020 - there aren't extenuating hardware factors and Zelda has more resources devoted to it now than it ever has done in the past. It'd be foolish to say the game is a lock for 2020, because Nintendo will protect the game's quality ahead of commercial considerations, but I still think it's a likely 2020 game.
Thanks for the detail descriptions, appreciate it. I do think it's likely to be the 2020 game. Like you said though, Nintendo won't compromise quality just to get it out during the holidays. If it's not ready then it's not ready. That's why I believe they have like a Odyssey 2 ready to go in case BotW 2 isn't ready.

I think when they announce the date for BotW 2 it's because they're as close to 100% sure on the date.

Btw I didn't know the upending tea table came from Twilight Princess lol.

May 10, 2019
Last edited:

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think Xenoblade could hit May at the earliest. June makes the most sense with the 10 year anniversary and it can get a segment on the Treehouse at E3

OrakioRob

Oct 25, 2017
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
All Directs are in the first two weeks of the month (since 2015), so a January Direct should happen in the next couple of weeks. I'd be very surprised if Xenoblade releases earlier than this summer - a number of us are guessing at June 2020, to mark 10 years since the original Japanese release.

Not saying you're wrong or anything, just curious: people frequently say "game x might be released in (month) to celebrate the anniversary of the series". Does Nintendo have a history with this? I mean, down to the month of the original release, not only the year?

MaitreWakou

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 15, 2018
Toulouse, France

This week or the week after. Pretty confident in this week. Directs are always in the first half of the month.

May or june. Not before. Maybe july, but I don't see it releasing after that. It's an ambitious remake, where all assets were remade, with new zones that got scrapped in the original, but I don't think that Nintendo, who always announce their games a few months before release, would announce a remake one year or more than a year before release.
June seems like a good spot imo.

Oct 27, 2017

I've played every AC installment since the GCN and it's one of my favorite series, ever. AC is a wholesome game and a "life simulator". If it were an anime, it'd probably fit under the Slice of Life genre. Fun fact: there's actually an AC animated film you can watch (it's good, very cute).

You can only do so much in an AC game: eventually you'll find all the fossils, buy and plant all flower seeds, etc. Because it's also a game about doing nothing, chilling, chatting with your friends and animal neighbors. In City Folk you'd quite literally be penalized for "rushing" (running in the game would make grass die quick).

Try it out. Enjoy it!

hannybunny24

Jun 25, 2018
Germany
As someone who wants to jump into AC for the first time (and as blind as possible):
Has there ever been multiplayer? As in visiting other towns, doing stuff together, chatting, trading? I guess that would make it the perfect game for me & my spouse.

MisterSpo

One Winged Slayer
Feb 12, 2019
I think when they announce the date for BotW 2 it's because they're as close to 100% sure on the date.

Btw I didn't know the upending tea table came from Twilight Princess lol.
Yeah, I think Nintendo will be carefully managing their EPD projects and projects at Monolith Soft with an eye on getting Zelda out this year - I honestly think if they can afford to put more staff on Zelda to guarantee 2020 without damaging development on other games, they'll do that. But like you said, they probably have insurance options ready to go if a delay is needed.

And yes, 'upending the teatable' is a translation of a Japanese saying - basically, it means you strongly express your disapproval or disappointment with something and make drastic changes. The most famous incidences of this with Miyamoto are the first Metroid Prime, when Miyamoto cancelled Retro's other projects and insisted they focus on Prime, and Twilight Princess. With Twilight Princess, it's not known what Miyamoto was specifically unhappy with - but whatever problems he found with the game resulted in a delay from 2005 into spring 2006, before the final delay to late 2006 for the Wii version.

Editing this for clarity, but in Miyamoto's case 'upending the table' doesn't mean he was angry - Eiji Aonuma says it's more like Miyamoto completely shifts the perspective of the team and the direction of the project.

joffocakes

Nov 15, 2017
As someone who wants to jump into AC for the first time (and as blind as possible):
Has there ever been multiplayer? As in visiting other towns, doing stuff together, chatting, trading? I guess that would make it the perfect game for me & my spouse.

Yeah, that's exactly how we played the DS and 3DS games. It's the reason why I'm buying a second Switch for this one.

MisterSpo

One Winged Slayer
Feb 12, 2019
Not saying you're wrong or anything, just curious: people frequently say "game x might be released in (month) to celebrate the anniversary of the series". Does Nintendo have a history with this? I mean, down to the month of the original release, not only the year?
That's a good point and I honestly don't know. I think celebrating the year of release is the case, rather than the actual month of release. Personally, I felt June was a possibility because Nintendo tend to release medium to large scale titles in June and July on Switch, and I think Xenoblade DE fits that bill. Even if it's a re-release, it's a higher profile series for Nintendo now and I think they want to keep the franchise successful and visible.

Status
Not open for further replies.