• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Alright gang, how does the Pokémon Direct affect our chances?

• #TeamAppetizer (a Direct will come between 1/14 and 1/17)

Votes: 806 70.6%
  • #TeamEntrée (this is the main course; another Direct won’t come until later)

Votes: 237 20.8%
  • I'm on #TeamAppetizer, but I don't necessarily think it will happen next week.

Votes: 99 8.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ororo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If BOTW2 comes out this year then Mario World/Pikmin 3 seem safe bets. If no BOTW 2 this year then perhaps TP/TWW could be possibilities. Is Star Fox Zero too reliant on the gamepad or could it be removed somehow?

I'd give it until the Direct to see if it gets announced. Otherwise, signs would look bad on it coming to America.
Yeah, it's what i'm holding on. Hopefully a physical release, if it got one in europe perhaps here as well.
it's probably gonna be a shadowdrop
A shame if it's a shadow drop it'll be download game only.

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
3D World unfortunately felt like a bit of a slog to me for the first several hours due to such a low difficulty. I'm not looking forward to that bit either, but the post-game is a lot of fun.

RainRainRain

Jan 15, 2018
3D World has such good music but i've been spoiled with the Super Mario Maker 2 edit theme versions to be honest. Underwater Edit in 3D World is just heavenly

Deleted member 49166

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 30, 2018
Imperial will always be a better measurement system

meters can eat my ass

Can I ask why you think so? As an engineer I can't think why it should be better to have measure that can't be easily used in calculations where you need to convert and combine units.

Why should you use various units for the same thing e.g. distance (meter vs inch, Feet, yard, mile)

Zacmortar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Can I ask why you think so? As an engineer I can't think why it should be better to have measure that can't be easily used in calculations where you need to convert and combine units.

Why should you use various units for the same thing e.g. distance (meter vs inch, Feet, yard, mile)
I grew up and learned almost that exclusively and don't really care for the metric system or learning it because of that. I'll always prefer miles to kilometers

Thats honestly my biggest pet peeve with Death Stranding. If it didnt take place in America and use American imagery so heavy handedly I wouldnt even notice, but its stupid using kilometers in a setting that uses Imperial more often than not. Atleast have a toggle. Hell, in-game textures even use miles but not the game's UI.

Although to that second part, thats like asking why is there centimeters when millimeters exist. They'd larger measurements to ease adding things up. They may be stupid but they DO have some reasoning behind it.
Spoken like a true patriot.
Oh god no i hate this country

Jan 11, 2018
3D World unfortunately felt like a bit of a slog to me for the first several hours due to such a low difficulty. I'm not looking forward to that bit either, but the post-game is a lot of fun.

Did you like Odyssey? It felt even easier than 3DW which at least ramps up difficulty upon reaching world 7. Even Odyssey's post game didn't ramp up the difficulty outside Dark and Darker Side.

jchap

Oct 27, 2017

As an engineer i only go by units of plank lengths. It is the only non arbitrary length unit.

Fun fact: The standard unit closest to an even power of 10 of the plank length is the mile. 1.0006 x 10^38 plank lengths in a mile. Check mate metric system.

Or I just use tools that convert units for me

Last edited:

Deleted member 49166

Banned
Oct 30, 2018
Although to that second part, thats like asking why is there centimeters when millimeters exist. They'd larger measurements to ease adding things up. They may be stupid but they DO have some reasoning behind it.

It's always meters or a multiply of 10 or 1/10.
Centi is Greek for 1/100, Milli 1/1000 and Kilo 1000. So easy to calculate by just shifting the comma. Where I try to unterstand how you switch between how many feet's you have with a quarter mile etc. but as you said, it might just be growing up with it.

File:English_Length_Units_Graph.svg

Deleted member 43657

User requested account closure
Banned
May 19, 2018
... so uh, are we expecting an announcement tomorrow at 7 AM PST?

I start work tomorrow and boy howdy, would a Direct announcement see me right.

Deleted member 49166

Banned
Oct 30, 2018
Fun fact: The standard unit closest to an even power of 10 of the plank length is the mile. 1.0006 x 10^38 plank lengths in a mile. Check mate metric system.

Nice post 👍

But with only using the mile as a comparison leaves the other 30 units out where you have various multiples (from 2, 3, 6, 12). Using meters in practice means shifting the comma (Faktor 10), where the imperial system means using conversion tools.

Mar 23, 2018
I believe in the Super Metroid remake. I also believe it's by Mercury Steam.

As others pointed out - and as with pretty much any other Metroid title I've played - I believe conserving or improving the atmosphere would be the main... concern? of the remake. 3D* seems like the way to go, to add more depth to the game. Although, if it's Samus Returns-like in HD(Regarding amount of detail and overall richness) I think at first that'd be underwhelming but that was also a 3DS title, which actually makes it impressive for the system, plus they should be developing this remake by adapting it to Switch's capabilities this instance. Mercury Steam games got really nice artistic direction, so there should be confidence on that regard.

As for the gameplay changes, I have no clue on what they could add other than the free aiming found in Samus Returns(Didn't play it yet), Also, 30FPS or 60FPS? Samus Returns was 30FPS while every other 2D Metroid was 60FPS. Both choices, right? Oh, one can hope. Did you Metroid players notice a worse reaction time when playing and platforming on Samus Returns compared to older Metroid titles?

To be fair, this is all a bunch of ifs aaaaaand I probably shouldn't even be discussing about it because I have played three 2D Metroid games(ZM, SM and Pinball ayy) and I first played SM a couple of years ago. Fusion is my next one!

Edit: *3D as in polygonal like Samus Returns, not 3D a la Prime LOL

I can't imagine this relationship being a one-way street. What does Nintendo have to give to Microsoft?

Other than MS getting more income, I believe it's likely they are working on some sort of collab to put their(Xbox) xCloud on the Switch. That seems to me like a fair chance for Xbox on growing their brand recognition over in Japan, even if through/related to Nintendo.

Last edited:

jchap

Oct 27, 2017
Nice post 👍

But with only using the mile as a comparison leaves the other 30 units out where you have various multiples (from 2, 3, 6, 12). Using meters in practice means shifting the comma (Faktor 10), where the imperial system means using conversion tools.

Oh I'm not advocating for the Imperial system.

I'm advocating for a new unit system centered on the (slightly modified) mile. I call it the Impetric system.

I would like this system to be detailed in the next Nintendo Direct!

Last edited:

Deleted member 49166

Banned
Oct 30, 2018
Oh I'm not advocating for the Imperial system.

I'm advocating for a new unit system centered on the (slightly modified) mile. I call it the Impetric system.

I would like this system to be detailed in the next Nintendo Direct!

i'd buy in in a second as long as this ensures we also get another Wii Sports and WaveRace any time soon 👍

Oct 26, 2017
No one commented on my dream that we got Metroid Other M 2 shadow dropped.

This was right after I hung out with Adam Silver for some reason.

karmitt

Oct 27, 2017
Nintendo started implementing Miiverse error messages shortly before they closed that service; but in this case I feel like they are just future-proofing. If anything, this makes me question the future of NSO and the NSO App if those services are planned to close at some point.

The NSO phone app should die. Kill it off this week and announce system level voice chat

Strat

Apr 8, 2018
Thanks to Dark Cloud, I'm bopping through DQXIS listening to the SM3DW soundtrack, which is not only much better music, but much more ethical music!

TheSentry42

Nov 2, 2017
I believe in the Super Metroid remake. I also believe it's by Mercury Steam.

Do you think Nintendo would do two remakes back to back?
I guess they did that with Zelda on 3DS.

It's just we already have a perfect great looking version of Super Metroid. They need to make a new 2D Metroid. A true sequel to Fusion like they hinted at with Samus Returns.

I am hope there's a small fresh game like the remake of Link's Awakening that Nintendo will reveal and release within 6-9 months.
I hope Nintendo has more ya es like that cooked up while they are also working on the big dawgs of BotW 2 and Mario Odyssey 2.

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
Personally Galaxy 1 and 2 spoiled me on Mario soundtracks. Anything since hasn't come close.

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
also can't forget about all the paper marios or MK8 if it's mario in general.

PM's music is consistently great.

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
Tropical Freeze is also some hot shit

The Galaxy games had the very grand orchestral thing going, but 3DW has this fucking sick mix of the SMB2 selection theme

Honestly the best 3D World tracks are the ones that either focus on real instruments and orchestral pieces, or are a mix of synth and real instruments like Shifty Boo. The jazzy stuff and some of the lower quality synth that tries to ape old chiptune stuff is kind of hit and miss with me. On the subject of 3D World though, I think this is my favorite track:

Anyway Odyssey's soundtrack is better imo though. It's a lot more interesting stylistically, switching up sounds and instruments wildly across the different worlds. Definitely the best since Odyssey although not as memorable.

kurt

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If emily is right, it would be mario 3d world and pikmin 3. Bothowned already on my wii u, so i have zero intrest in this... but for those who didnt owned a wii u, its nice for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.