• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Alright gang, how does the Pokémon Direct affect our chances?

• #TeamAppetizer (a Direct will come between 1/14 and 1/17)

Votes: 806 70.6%
  • #TeamEntrée (this is the main course; another Direct won’t come until later)

Votes: 237 20.8%
  • I'm on #TeamAppetizer, but I don't necessarily think it will happen next week.

Votes: 99 8.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
If Super Metroid does get remade, I fully expect us to never get a true new 2D Metroid again. We would just go next to Fusion then loop back to Metroid: Origins or some shit.

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
Okay you guys ... i have my well-earned nightly sleep, only to wake up to read stuff like ... a ... Super Metroid ... remake?! Y'all do this on purpose when i sleep, right? The leakers know i would get angry with them.

Being serious again ... Super Metroid doesn't need a remake. I just played through it again recently on the Switch SNES stuff, and it's still great. If you want to "remake" this game, update the controls to be a bit more streamlined, and re-release the game as it was back then and is now. Same for Fusion ... the best remake is simply a re-release and be done with it.

Let MercurySteam have a shot at a new 2.5D Metroid game, either a follow up to Fusion, or some in-between game for the existing ones.

JB2448

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
I remember when anything other than a Fusion remake or Metroid 5 was considered silly to discuss in terms of 2D Metroid's future.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Okay you guys ... i have my well-earned nightly sleep, only to wake up to read stuff like ... a ... Super Metroid ... remake?! Y'all do this on purpose when i sleep, right? The leakers know i would get angry with them.

Being serious again ... Super Metroid doesn't need a remake. I just played through it again recently on the Switch SNES stuff, and it's still great. If you want to "remake" this game, update the controls to be a bit more streamlined, and re-release the game as it was back then and is now. Same for Fusion ... the best remake is simply a re-release and be done with it.

Let MercurySteam have a shot at a new 2.5D Metroid game, either a follow up to Fusion, or some in-between game for the existing ones.
I'm a little disappointed if it's another 2D Metroid remake...it's almost 2 decades since a new 2D Metroid.

MaitreWakou

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 15, 2018
Toulouse, France
First post in the new thread, right in time for the Game Awards speculations now that it's approching.
Also team january for the Direct. I don't think they would wait until february in order to release more infos about Animal Crossing.

Timppis

Banned
Apr 27, 2018
Woohoo! Third Thread!

One can say only one thing for certain about Nintendo Directs.

It is that the Madness never truly stops.

MisterSpo

One Winged Slayer
Feb 12, 2019
Yeah, I don't really see the need for a Super Metroid remake. The original title has aged excellently and it's been easily available on Nintendo systems for the last 13 years, since Virtual Console launched. It's been available on Wii, Wii U, 3DS, SNES Mini and now Switch. I'd much prefer to see a new 2D Metroid.

Anyway, LeakyPandy doesn't have a great track record, do they? Hit and miss, I thought? It's a pretty easy prediction to make and one that a number of us have been making for 12 months or more. Prime Trilogy HD makes a lot of sense and is surely only a matter of time; some sort of 2D Metroid following on from Samus Returns in 2017 makes sense and was first rumoured in 2017; and obviously Prime 4 is the one confirmed Metroid title we have.

So I'm really not sure on the veracity of LeakyPandy or their sources, but the idea we're getting 3 Metroid titles in the next 2 to 3 years isn't that far-fetched and it's what I was already expecting. I'd just prefer to see Metroid 5 over Super Metroid HD.

Andri

Mar 20, 2018
Switzerland
Are people still being delusional about Metroid ?
Like "insiders" have basically been saying that it will be announced at every single event/direct for more than a year, and it never happened.

AllEchse

Oct 29, 2017
I think it's weird that Nate replied to the Pandy tweet saying "it was just a questipn whether the 2D Metroid was a remake of Super or Fusiom, the ending of Samus Returns hinted at Fusion"
Did he even 100% the game?
There was the whole picture gaölery of X-Parasite stuff you unlocked, but the Sequel hint was the Evil Chozo picture you got after you collected all of those and unless they change stuff in the remake there is no evil Chozo ever seen or hinted at in Super or Fusion.

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
I think it's weird that Nate replied to the Pandy tweet saying "it was just a questipn whether the 2D Metroid was a remake of Super or Fusiom, the ending of Samus Returns hinted at Fusion"
There was the whole picture gaölery of X-Parasite stuff you unlocked, but the Sequel hint was the Evil Chozo picture you got after you collected all of those and unless they change stuff in the remake there is no evil Chozo ever seen or hinted at in Super or Fusion.
Yeah, the ending of Samus Returns was more about unlocking the dead end they built in Fusion, to allow them to make Metroid 5 or similar.
There's nothing "hinting" at a specific game already existing.

Pokémon

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I don't really see the need for a Super Metroid remake. The original title has aged excellently and it's been easily available on Nintendo systems for the last 13 years, since Virtual Console launched. It's been available on Wii, Wii U, 3DS, SNES Mini and now Switch. I'd much prefer to see a new 2D Metroid.

Anyway, LeakyPandy doesn't have a great track record, do they? Hit and miss, I thought? It's a pretty easy prediction to make and one that a number of us have been making for 12 months or more. Prime Trilogy HD makes a lot of sense and is surely only a matter of time; some sort of 2D Metroid following on from Samus Returns in 2017 makes sense and was first rumoured in 2017; and obviously Prime 4 is the one confirmed Metroid title we have.

So I'm really not sure on the veracity of LeakyPandy or their sources, but the idea we're getting 3 Metroid titles in the next 2 to 3 years isn't that far-fetched and it's what I was already expecting. I'd just prefer to see Metroid 5 over Super Metroid HD.

I think people are reacting to the leakypandy rumor because Nate quoted it on Twitter and said that based on the events of Samus Returns the only question would be if the next 2D Metroid is Super Metroid or Metroid Fusion.
This is confusing people because everyone assumed the next 2D Metroid, which we knew for a while now is in development, would be a new entry in the series.

AllEchse

Oct 29, 2017
Yeah, the ending of Samus Returns was more about unlocking the dead end they built in Fusion, to allow them to make Metroid 5 or similar.
There's nothing "hinting" at a specific game already existing.
Like maybe he knows more than us because he has inside info or something like that or he did just didn't look at all the unlock 100% rewards, but from the unknowing public's point of view only going off that 100% tease it was definitely a hint at Metroid 5.
And I just don't want another remake.

MaitreWakou

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 15, 2018
Toulouse, France
Yeah Nate Drake just seem to think that Samus Returns hints at Fusion's remake, doesn't seem to know more than "a 2D Metroid has been in dev for Switch for some time now"

Deleted member 426

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly I'd really like a Super Metroid remake. Some of the set pieces would look incredible in 2.5D, and you can't play SM too many times. Plus a SM remake now doesn't preclude a Metroid 5 in the future. In fact a SM remake could help build the fanbase.

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017
Man I don't want any more Metroid remakes. Fusion and Super still play absolutely fine, and a lot of what constitutes as modern 2D Metroid was cemented by Super. With Mercury Steam's excellent work on Samus Returns I'm hoping this is all nonsense and they're working on an original 2D Metroid.

Pokémon

Oct 27, 2017
I really hope that the success of Link's Awakening didn't send the message that going forward we want to see as many remakes as possible. While I don't mind occasional remakes for games where it makes sense I want to see new entries for games like 2D Metroid or 2D Zelda because the last new entries in these series, especially Metroid, was a while ago.

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
Speaking of remakes, especially ones that are pretty much just graphical with some QoL, Mother 3 would be a slam dunk.

The artstyle for LA remake is pretty much a perfect fit.

Defect

Oct 25, 2017
A Super Metroid remake with SR's style and scope would piss me off. They would 100% ruin what makes that game amazing. I have zero faith in Nintendo when it comes to this series.

Stop with the remakes in general and just give us Metroid 5.

Last edited:

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm here to speculate on directs and reset clocks. And I'm running low on clocks.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I really hope that the success of Link's Awakening didn't send the message that going forward we want to see as many remakes as possible. While I don't mind occasional remakes for games where it makes sense I want to see new entries for games like 2D Metroid or 2D Zelda because the last new entries in these series, especially Metroid, was a while ago.
Links Awakening just released. It has no impact on whatever 2D Metroid they started developing a couple years ago.

vedrua

Oct 26, 2019
Remakes do not bother me as long as they are good AND don't prevent Nintendo from developping new games. For exemple we can hope that the commercial success of Link's Awakening will help Nintendo to release a brand new 2D episode of Zelda before the end of the Switch.

Metroid is a bit different since Super Metroid is absolutely great the way it is and Fusion did not age bad either. However, a port of Samus Returns would be interesting. The game was good and nobody playyed it on 3DS.

MPT + Samus Returns HD ports would be just fine before MP4.

Kevin360

OG Direct OP
Oct 25, 2017
I remember last year.

Watching TGAs all the way through, believing beyond a shadow of a doubt that we'd see Metroid in some form... Even Reggie wearing a Metroid shirt.

Then, it ended. No Metroid.

I questioned a lot of things that day, but I'm ready to be hurt again.

stan423321

Oct 25, 2017
Baseless speculation follows:

The problem with Metroid 5 is that the premise set up in Fusion is a little too good. Actually, scratch that. It's WAY too good. Samus has absorbed both the Metroid and the X powers? Galactic Federation may consider her hostile now? The most understandable ally of hers is actually based on quite a prick? (Okay, M:OM injected the last one, but still.) This sounds incredibly exciting! But not to Nintendo, precisely for the same reasons it does for me. I actually don't remember any Nintendo developed game with such an ending right now; everything that comes to mind is return of status quo plus minus relatively minor changes, or everything getting calmer.

If they're actually remaking Super Metroid, I wouldn't be surprised if it started as Metroid 5 pitch, but then someone mentioned the story and they couldn't fit the Fusion ending in, so they threw out the 5.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I remember last year.

Watching TGAs all the way through, believing beyond a shadow of a doubt that we'd see Metroid in some form... Even Reggie wearing a Metroid shirt.

Reggie wore a Metroid shirt while taking a picture with Geoff and Wolfgang Puck lol. I swear it felt like he lead us on so hard.

phonicjoy

Banned
Jun 19, 2018

You get attacked by a Chozo statue in Super?

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I remember last year.

Yeah, that was pretty painful. The worst part was, I was watching the game awards with a friend who wasn't in to Metroid, and the whole show I was like "This is it, here comes Metroid." After every new reveal, I knew it had to be coming. Then goddamn Joker drops out of nowhere, and said friend, who is a huge Persona fan, loses her mind while I lie on the ground in anguish.

disgraciau

Oct 27, 2017
Ibiza, Balearic Islands, Spain
Nintendo, I just need Metroid Prime Trilogy HD while you and Retro are busy doing Prime 4.

tenor.gif

Kevin360

OG Direct OP
Oct 25, 2017
I tried to play through Super Metroid for the 2nd time in October. Probably made it about halfway through, or more, but just couldn't find motivation to finish and I kept getting completely lost and wandering around. I last attempted to play it back in 2014 or so on the Wii U. I definitely made it further this time.

Kevin360

OG Direct OP
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, that was pretty painful. The worst part was, I was watching the game awards with a friend who wasn't in to Metroid, and the whole show I was like "This is it, here comes Metroid." After every new reveal, I knew it had to be coming. Then goddamn Joker drops out of nowhere, and said friend, who is a huge Persona fan, loses her mind while I lie on the ground in anguish.
Yeah. I had told a buddy of mine that Metroid was a lock.

His "lol" text after the 3-4 hours watching the show was heartbreaking.

Status
Not open for further replies.