• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Alright gang, how does the Pokémon Direct affect our chances?

• #TeamAppetizer (a Direct will come between 1/14 and 1/17)

Votes: 806 70.6%
  • #TeamEntrée (this is the main course; another Direct won’t come until later)

Votes: 237 20.8%
  • I'm on #TeamAppetizer, but I don't necessarily think it will happen next week.

Votes: 99 8.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Datajoy

use of an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Angola / Zaire border region.
Before E3, I think we will get:

1. January Pokemon Direct
2. January Full Direct
3. Early March Animal Crossing Direct
4. Early May Smash broadcast with info on post-Fighters Pass DLC
5. Pre-E3 Pokemon Direct

Perhaps a Nindie thing in there somewhere too

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Before E3, I think we will get:

1. January Pokemon Direct
2. January Full Direct
3. Early March Animal Crossing Direct
4. Early May Smash broadcast with info on post-Fighters Pass DLC
5. Pre-E3 Pokemon Direct

Perhaps a Nindie thing in there somewhere too

Two Pokémon directs and only one general direct? That won't go well around here lol

Oct 27, 2017
I'm both jokingly and actually starting to think Nintendo's just going to let Animal Crossing do all the work for them this first half of the year lol

Melpomene

One Winged Slayer
Jun 9, 2019
Considering we've consistently gotten three Directs a year around a similar time since 2017, and an entire additional General Direct is a whole new level of "breaking the pattern," I don't think we'll see another one, even if we get one in January.

So, in usual Monkey's Paw fashion, if we get our wish for a January Direct, we will be dooming ourselves to about five General Direct-free months. The best we'll see is an Animal Crossing Direct in Feb. or March, and maybe a Mini, if we're lucky.

Deleted member 9584

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Is it possible Nintendo is holding on to news for a direct until they find out when Sony is going to reveal PS5 so they know when to hue things up so their thunder isn't stolen by Sony? We might not get a general direct until March if that is the case...

dxspace

Oct 25, 2017
I wish big third party announcements weren't locked behind directs. There are too many games coming to the Switch nowadays for some announcements to be arbitrarily postponed until a direct. If games like Overwatch or Deadly Premonition 2 are coming to the Switch just tell us. Square didn't wait for the next direct to reveal Bravely Default 2 and that's a way bigger game.
Directs should be just for Nintendo games now. We're no longer in the Wii U days where there's never enough content for a direct so we need third party ports and indie reels and puppets or something.

Oct 27, 2017
Also I saw the Pokemon Direct pattern posts and I feel like I would agree with them were it not for the fact that this is the only early-in-the-year Pokemon Direct to go above 10 minutes, let alone 20.

The only times a Pokemon Direct has been around 20 minutes is either before E3, or before the game releasing.

Melpomene

One Winged Slayer
Jun 9, 2019
I wish big third party announcements weren't locked behind directs. There are too many games coming to the Switch nowadays for some announcements to be arbitrarily postponed until a direct. If games like Overwatch or Deadly Premonition 2 are coming to the Switch just tell us. Square didn't wait for the next direct to reveal Bravely Default 2 and that's a way bigger game.
Directs should be just for Nintendo games now. We're no longer in the Wii U days where there's never enough content for a direct so we need third party ports and indie reels and puppets or something.
Then Directs would be like half as long, and people would complain about that, instead.

Either way, it's not like any game's going to come out any earlier because it was revealed earlier. If anything, I appreciate a shorter gap between reveal and release.

Also I saw the Pokemon Direct pattern posts and I feel like I would agree with them were it not for the fact that this is the only early-in-the-year Pokemon Direct to go above 10 minutes, let alone 20.

The only times a Pokemon Direct has been around 20 minutes is either before E3, or before the game releasing.
Thing is, pretty much any date you could predict would require something happening that hasn't happened before, because if you expect a February Direct, the Smash DLC has to either be shadow-dropped or released the same month it was revealed, and neither of those things has happened in any of the four (or five) previous cases.

TreIII

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, MD
What's happening in Osaka?

Capcom's hosting the next major Monster Hunter event there. Now that Iceborne has been released, and is officially old hat (unless you're a PC gamer), it's about time that Capcom shifts gears to this year's MH announcement(s).

Perhaps such an event like this maybe where the elusive and awaited "MH NEXT", from Ichinose and the MH Portable squad, appears.

Lintendo

Sep 11, 2018
Well... that Pokémon Direct came out of nowhere and funny nobody called it or considered it... but I reckon that we will get a Full Direct in January, maybe at the last week of January 🤷🏻‍♂️

PillFencer

Banned
Nov 15, 2018
Considering we've consistently gotten three Directs a year around a similar time since 2017, and an entire additional General Direct is a whole new level of "breaking the pattern," I don't think we'll see another one, even if we get one in January.

So, in usual Monkey's Paw fashion, if we get our wish for a January Direct, we will be dooming ourselves to about five General Direct-free months. The best we'll see is an Animal Crossing Direct in Feb. or March, and maybe a Mini, if we're lucky.
2017 January Switch Presentation, April Nintendo Direct, June Nintendo Spotlight e3, September Nintendo Direct
2018 January Nintendo Direct Mini, March Nintendo Direct, June Nintendo Direct e3, September Nintendo Direct
2019 February Nintendo Direct, June Nintendo Direct e3, September Nintendo Direct

srtrestre

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
6Gd3LIH.png

Melpomene

One Winged Slayer
Jun 9, 2019
2017 January Switch Presentation, April Nintendo Direct, June Nintendo Spotlight e3, September Nintendo Direct
2018 January Nintendo Direct Mini, March Nintendo Direct, June Nintendo Direct e3, September Nintendo Direct
2019 February Nintendo Direct, June Nintendo Direct e3, September Nintendo Direct
Oh dang, I forgot about the extra one in 2018. I'd argue you could go either way as to whether the Switch Presentation is a "Direct," technically speaking, but given there's already an exception anyway, I'm willing to concede that one, too.

Frankish

Oct 25, 2017
USA
Folks clearly enjoy making predictions based on what has happened in previous years. But, your sample sizes are so friggin small. There's no reliable precedent for anything.

Deleted member 51982

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 14, 2019
Bravely Default II is a poor example, since it was revealed in a region where Nintendo is publishing. Niche games like NMHIII and DP2 most certainly benefit from being revealed/detailed in a Direct. The September in particular where DP2 was shown peaked at over 600k live viewers. DP1 sold 50k in its first 3 months in North America. Large 3rd parties like Overwatch could definitely be revealed on their own though.

MisterSpo

One Winged Slayer
Feb 12, 2019
Everyone is still confident in the Animal Crossing direct for February? To me this doesn't change anything. AC should still be getting its own direct in February
Yeah, I think it's still fairly likely Animal Crossing gets a Direct. It's Nintendo's next huge, system-seller and it should shift 12 to 15 million plus on Switch. They'll want to promote it more.
I hope the Pokemon Direct is to announce new remakes. Then the full Direct is next week or something. Kind of like how they always sneak in a Pokemon Direct right before E3.
Extremely unlikely on the remake front. The last two sets of remakes (Let's Go/AS & OR) were announced in May, with a 6 month lead into their release date. The last few generations have had a February reveal with 8 to 9 months lead in to release. January is too soon to reveal remakes. I think you're right on the general Direct though - we might get one next week.
Really happy 3D World is finally happening, but I have to say, I'm still sad we haven't heard any news about a new DK game. I know Retro got their lead DK dev back, so there's hope there, at least.
An infinitesimal part of me is still holding out hope that Retro finished a third DK game which Nintendo have held back on releasing till this year. Probably not happening, as much as I'd like to see it.

Melpomene

One Winged Slayer
Jun 9, 2019
Folks clearly enjoy making predictions based on what has happened in previous years. But, your sample sizes are so friggin small. There's no reliable precedent for anything.
True, but if everyone waited until they had truly reliable stats, half the speculation would be gone. I like the clusterfuck of barely-sensible-to-completely-insane predictions, personally.

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
third party games do get announced outside of directs.

a few western devs seem to like announcing their games in directs. That's their choice. And not really Nintendo's concern. But several western devs don't and announce the games themselves.

but most big JP games aren't announced in a direct. Off the top of my head the bigger recent JP games
Yokai 4 (and 4+, and 1 remaster and most L5 games in general)
DQ11
DQB2
Bravely 2
Taiko Drum
Persona Scramble
Fishing Spirits
almost all KT owned IP like Warriors orochi
Most anime fighter games and anime musou games

the list goes on. The majority of Nintendo's third party japanese games aren't announced in directs. If I'm mistaken on some of these, someone let me know.

And even western games aren't always announced in a direct, recent examples such as MK11, Crash Team Racing, Gods and Monsters, wolfenstein youngblood, Doom Eternal, etc.
Oh yeah Cuphead and Diablo 3 weren't announced in directs either iirc

so yeah, that point is incorrect. Publishers do what they want and aren't forced to postpone anything.

lunanto

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
How is the moral of my fellow members of #TeamJanuary.

I am still trying to accept the harsh reality.

MaitreWakou

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 15, 2018
Toulouse, France
Why do people don't think that a general is coming next week ?
Didn't it already happened that a general happened one week after a Pokémon direct ?
Direct next week makes sense imo.
Unless I missed an insider shutting down possibilities for next week.

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
What "point"? I said some announcements are. Others aren't.
you can't prove that they are "arbitrarily postponed". There's no evidence of it
Marketing teams decide the avenue and dates of information release.
If it coincides with a direct, they may use it. If it doesn't, history clearly shows that the publishers don't wait on Nintendo, and they drop info themselves.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Why do people don't think that a general is coming next week ?
Didn't it already happened that a general happened one week after a Pokémon direct ?
Direct next week makes sense imo.
Unless I missed an insider shutting down possibilities for next week.
Nobody shut it down. Next week is definitely possible for a general direct. Everyone should stay optimistic.

Jul 18, 2018
North Carolina
We won't get a general direct at all in 2020, but we'll get this week's Pokemon Direct, and in February a 25 minute Pokemon Direct Direct focused on upcoming Pokemon Directs coming throughout 2020. Folks will insist TPC has no Directs beyond 2020 but we'll get a logo/tease for a 2021 Pokemon Direct at the end of the Pokemon Direct Direct.

NabiscoFelt

One Winged Slayer
Aug 15, 2019
We won't get a general direct at all in 2020, but we'll get this week's Pokemon Direct, and in February a 25 minute Pokemon Direct Direct focused on upcoming Pokemon Directs coming throughout 2020. Folks will insist TPC has no Directs beyond 2020 but we'll get a logo/tease for a 2021 Pokemon Direct at the end of the Pokemon Direct Direct.

I'd watch a Pokemon Direct Direct

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

Don't forget Nintendo is dedicating all of their E3 show floor to Detective Pikachu 2!

Status
Not open for further replies.