• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Alright gang, how does the Pokémon Direct affect our chances?

• #TeamAppetizer (a Direct will come between 1/14 and 1/17)

Votes: 806 70.6%
  • #TeamEntrée (this is the main course; another Direct won’t come until later)

Votes: 237 20.8%
  • I'm on #TeamAppetizer, but I don't necessarily think it will happen next week.

Votes: 99 8.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
I having Deja-Vu here... didn't we discussed this Topic about a January Direct last Year and it ended up to be a February Direct at the end?
Yeah but the situation early in the year has been different every year since the Switch started.

E3 and September Direct are usually constants, but the first half.... it's always wild

Pokémon

Oct 27, 2017
I having Deja-Vu here... didn't we discussed this Topic about a January Direct last Year and it ended up to be a February Direct at the end?

giphy.gif

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yes, but circumstances are a little different this time. This time we have a big game in AC coming March and Nintendo still hasn't opened the preorders. It feels like they're waiting on the direct. This time we have the final Smash character has to release by end of February.

There's also that Joker from Persona 5 content apparently in Tokyo Mirage Sessions which releases the end of this week. It could he a surprise in the direct.

Plus I believe we know less about first party this year than we did going into 2019.

Melpomene

One Winged Slayer
Jun 9, 2019
I guess it wouldn't be the speculation thread without unadulterated chaos around the time of a potential Direct, but geez, talk about fragile morale, everyone. Just hope for the best and wait 'til Tuesday (or I guess potentially Wednesday, but eh).

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
I guess it wouldn't be the speculation thread without unadulterated chaos around the time of a potential Direct, but geez, talk about fragile morale, everyone. Just hope for the best and wait 'til Tuesday (or I guess potentially Wednesday, but eh).
I mean Wednesday is the most likely if the Direct is on Thursday. So definitely wait til Wednesday.

Of course I expect the usual doom and gloom when it's not announced Tuesday anyway 🙄

Strat

Apr 8, 2018
AC pre-orders still unavailable on the eshop and FP5 are the clear front runners for reasons a Direct needs to happen. It would be weird if both of those things happened within only a month until release.

ivandlspozas

Jan 28, 2019
Why I think there will not be a Direct next week:

1- We just had a Direct
2- Wednesday at the usual time that the Direct are announced, the TMS reviews are published
3- Nintendo Direct are usually at midnight in Europe, so I doubt there is a Direct at midnight from Thursday to Friday because TMS will already be on sale in the European eShop and Asia.

The only possibility is that it is announced on Tuesday and occurs on Wednesday at midnight in Europe. Edit: Or that Nintendo does not care to hurt the launch of TMS

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
AC pre-orders still unavailable on the eshop and FP5 are the clear front runners for reasons a Direct needs to happen.
Right. I think those are the 2 key suspects this year. We didn't have something similar coming into January 2019.

Also, Pokémon Directs and general directs seems to be a week or 2 from each other.

OP
OP

Raccoon

May 31, 2019
I think for a lot of people the melodrama is the fun part of this thread

speculating on when a collection of trailers drops isn't inherently fun, it's the willful desperation that makes it fun

levelheadedness is for squares

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
People are imagining the worst case scenario because they are tired of getting hurt by their hopes and dreams being dashed by boring Tuesdays

Lintendo

Sep 11, 2018
AC pre-orders still unavailable on the eshop and FP5 are the clear front runners for reasons a Direct needs to happen. It would be weird if both of those things happened within only a month until release.

My prediction about AC in the upcoming Direct will be that Nintendo will annouce a Switch Lite in AC Design with the game build in, with the News that the Game will be available to Pre-Orde on the EShop.

Strat

Apr 8, 2018
Imagine now that AC preorders are not even open at retail in Japan
Really? That's actually crazy. I'm honestly shocked at how ridiculously tight lipped they've been about AC. I guess they just have unwavering confidence in it, but the marketing window feels so so small for a tent pole release like that.
My prediction about AC in the upcoming Direct will be that Nintendo will annouce a Switch Lite in AC Design with the game build in, with the News that the Game will be available to Pre-Orde on the EShop.
I was hoping this was the case, because it's exactly what my wife wants, but I feel like we'd have heard about AC hardware by now? Or not, who fucking knows. The way they've introduced and talked about New Horizons has felt very strange.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
In case you missed it Animal Crossing is on the cover of the Nintendo Dream magazine which releases January 21.

MaitreWakou

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 15, 2018
Toulouse, France
I was hoping this was the case, because it's exactly what my wife wants, but I feel like we'd have heard about AC hardware by now? Or not, who fucking knows. The way they've introduced and talked about New Horizons has felt very strange.
They weren't going to announce it before christmas anyway. It could had let some people to not buy a Switch for christmas and instead wait for the AC Switch.

Strat

Apr 8, 2018
They weren't going to announce it before christmas anyway. It could had let some people to not buy a Switch for christmas and instead wait for the AC Switch.
Yeah, totally, but considering when it comes out and how little they've spoken about it at this point, they're giving themselves a pretty small window. Still holding out hope for a hardware bundle, though.

It's not like they couldn't pull the Smash/SwSh thing of releasing a special Switch way before the game comes out, also.

ViperViking

Jan 15, 2019
Yeah, totally, but considering when it comes out and how little they've spoken about it at this point, they're giving themselves a pretty small window. Still holding out hope for a hardware bundle, though.
Good chance there will be some sort of AC themed hardware. There were many different 3ds/2ds AC designs. And seems probable that we either get an AC direct or a general direct with AC focus.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You have to kind of admit the lead up to Animal Crossing's release has been weird. First the reveal was just a title card. Finally saw it at E3 and was delayed. Saw it in September and it was the exact info from E3...I do understand others around the world might have not seen it, but it was weird. I don't recall Nintendo doing that before.

We've been waiting and waiting. They do a little 30 second video around New Years. Post a little picture here or there. We're about 2 months from release and that's it. No preorders open anywhere. Just a weird build up to AC

ViperViking

Jan 15, 2019
You have to kind of admit the lead up to Animal Crossing's release has been weird. First the reveal was just a title card. Finally saw it at E3 and was delayed. Saw it in September and it was the exact info from E3...I do understand others around the world might have not seen it, but it was weird. I don't recall Nintendo doing that before.

We've been waiting and waiting. They do a little 30 second video around New Years. Post a little picture here or there. We're about 2 months from release and that's it. No preorders open anywhere. Just a weird build up to AC
Very odd. It's almost as if they don't think people want to see more of it before deciding to buy it.

Strat

Apr 8, 2018
Good chance there will be some sort of AC themed hardware. There were many different 3ds/2ds AC designs. And seems probable that we either get an AC direct or a general direct with AC focus.
I know, I own every piece of AC hardware possible. I always expected there to be AC hardware, I'm just surprised we haven't heard about it yet, but...

Exactly like I was saying, the AC build-up has been incredibly strange, which is why even a hardware bundle feels like a question mark to me.
I'm so excited for Animal Crossing's second delay!

God, could you imagine?
Yo, talk mess about no Directs until E3 or whatever the fuck, but don't put this in the air. For the love of God, please.

Status
Not open for further replies.