• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Alright gang, how does the Pokémon Direct affect our chances?

• #TeamAppetizer (a Direct will come between 1/14 and 1/17)

Votes: 806 70.6%
  • #TeamEntrée (this is the main course; another Direct won’t come until later)

Votes: 237 20.8%
  • I'm on #TeamAppetizer, but I don't necessarily think it will happen next week.

Votes: 99 8.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 27, 2017
United States
True. I think we're due for a lot of Year 1 Switch game sequels by 2020-2021. Side note, kinda crazy to think if the Switch does live through 2024 or beyond as Nintendo said it might before, there's a possibility of getting a Zelda Trilogy by the end of its life. Wild.

Anything is possible! I am just ecstatic at the fact that with the Switch being leaps and bounds more successful than the Wii U, plus being Nintendo's only current platform, we are finally seeing mainline entries in games again that were absent for way too long. It is astonishing to think that by the time Animal Crossing: New Horizons is on shelves, it will have been over seven years since a proper Animal Crossing game was released. Under the assumption that there will be a Direct before March, I am hopeful that it will include a final detailed look into the game. I am eager to know how deep the integration with Pocket Camp and amiibo support are!

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
i'm now very into the idea of NMH 1+2/NMH 3 trailer/travis in smash combo. that and botw 2 would be all i need.

giphy.gif

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
Travis has been one of the most likely candidates for Smash for a while to me. Even moreso now that post-fighters pass DLC has been announced

- He's a new third party franchise not yet repped in Smash, which is what this DLC has been
- he doubles as a promo for NMH3 releasing in 2020, a Nintendo published game, that could really use awareness. They could time it perfectly
- Suda has been pushing for it for a while

If he's not FP5, there's still a great chance he could be post-FP dlc. It's kind of shocking he isn't discussed more than he is. He's a clear front runner in my head.

lunanto

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
As you may know, I have always found the Halo-Nintendo stuff pretty disturbing, out of place and non-sensical but I have to admit that I still think the same.

XOXO

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
I just checked the Eshop to buy something and BOTW is #2 lol. (NA)

Guess all those new switches are getting this game.

NappingRat

Jul 2, 2018
I just checked the Eshop to buy something and BOTW is #2 lol. (NA)

Guess all those new switches are getting this game.
The digital download version was on sale (for the best price ever) last week. Probably the best value of all the sales if you didn't have the game - single player, hundreds of hours, no microtransactions, one of the best games of the decade, 42 USD.

Oct 27, 2017
i'm now very into the idea of NMH 1+2/NMH 3 trailer/travis in smash combo. that and botw 2 would be all i need.
For his reveal trailer I want them to recreate the scene from the first game where he gets the phone call, gets ready and I stead of going to the poster and saying "now" I want him to say "smash Bros".

Magic-Man

User requested ban
Feb 5, 2019
Epic Universe
BOTW 2, Master Chief in Smash, Halo on Switch, Ori 2 on Switch, new Crash game on Switch, something random from a third party. Those are my final predictions.

Deleted member 51691

Banned
Jan 6, 2019
BOTW 2, Master Chief in Smash, Halo on Switch, Ori 2 on Switch, new Crash game on Switch, something random from a third party. Those are my final predictions.
I don't see Ori 2 being announced for Switch until a year after the Xbox/PC release at least. I don't see Halo coming to Switch at all but we'll see, both the king and Vern are backing that rumor.

karmitt

Oct 27, 2017
Go to the "games ported by Tose" section

Is this confirmed? I'm almost positive that an interview with folks at Nintendo commented that them making the two games in tandem was challenging. If Tose was used as a way to briefly scale their resources that's one thing, but it just seems unlikely that the Switch version was wholly outsourced.

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Just imagine Geoff getting a phone call in the middle of the show and then...

Trust your Force... and head for the garden of madness.

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
What date makes sense for Xenoblade remake/remaster do you think?

I'd love July and I guess that's sorta realistic considering when it was announced but I wouldn't say no to it releasing earlier.

I'm not buying anything from now up until March, a Jan direct could change that though haha

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019

I'd love July and I guess that's sorta realistic considering when it was announced but I wouldn't say no to it releasing earlier.

I'm not buying anything from now up until March, a Jan direct could change that though haha
Sometimes in Spring imo.

Bowser

Nov 7, 2017

June

10th anniversary of JPN release

Last edited:

Deleted member 51982

Banned
Jan 14, 2019
Yep, it was announced as a Switch exclusive. Enhanced ports for PS4/PC down the line very likely.
I wouldn't hold my breath for ports, especially on PC after how TSA performed. You have to remember we're talking about Marvelous. They commissioned a company to rebuild NMH1 from scratch for the Xbox 360 and PS3 and after they didn't perform well, they didn't bother to bring over NMH2. Everything right now points to Suda trading the publishing rights for TSA to get funding for NMHIII. Presumably, Marvelous thought they could use the additional sales to fund it and it doesn't seem to be translating into revenue.

As much as people want to say TSA flopped, it performed pretty well on Switch. In North America it broke into the top 25 and top 20 in Japan during its release month. The PS4 release of TSA didn't even chart in the top 30 Famitsu during its release, meaning it sold <1950 copies.

No one should be getting their hopes up for NMH1+2 right now either. At Gamescom in September, Suda was quoted as saying he still hadn't decided whether he wanted to just port the games or actually remaster/remake them. It took him a year and a half to talk to Marvelous and told everyone to just buy used Wii's as that's how they were intended to be played. He's clearly more interested in working on new things, hence III, the Swery collab and has already said he wants to work on a new IP next.

I still think Travis has a good shot in the post pass fighters or at the very least will get spirited.

JJConrad

Nov 3, 2017

I'd say mid-July is the best bet. That's Octopath's and Fire Emblem's spot. I don't think the series is big enough to take the June spot with just a remake.

MaitreWakou

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 15, 2018
Toulouse, France
I'd say mid-July is the best bet. That's Octopath's and Fire Emblem's spot. I don't think the series is big enough to take the June spot with just a remake.
They announced it as the big hype reveal at the end of the september direct tho. Last time, it was Animal Crossing.
And I don't think they would have announced a remake more than 9 months prior to its release.
If not june, then I think it's may.

vedrua

Oct 26, 2019
it's not even 3 years. it's pretty much 4, probably more. early 2017 to late 2020, also considering botw was most likely done quite a while before release, just released in march 2017 to coincide with the launch of switch (and the switch port wasn't even done in-house, it was done by TOSE). by all accounts the sequel can easily be ready for a late 2020 release.

The failure of the Wii U and the success of the Switch showed how much having a Zelda (and a proper Mario) early in the life of a console could be important . A Zelda game take a lot of time. Maybe they are already working on it for the next gen too.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

June the latest. Monolith Soft works quick. Get it out during the summer and the anniversary time. This will give them the ability to reveal Monolith's new IP at E3 and release in December 2020

JJConrad

Nov 3, 2017
They announced it as the big hype reveal at the end of the september direct tho. Last time, it was Animal Crossing.
And I don't think they would have announced a remake more than 9 months prior to its release.
If not june, then I think it's may.
I don't think the reveal timing is that significant. Luigi's Mansion 3 and Animal Crossing were over a year off from their September Direct reveals. I don't think anyone expects Xenoblade that late. Nintendo's window from reveal to release is shorter than most everyone else, but it still ranges from 3 to 24 (and counting) months.

My guess is based on Nintendo's past release patterns. The marketing strategy for the game doesn't change a whole lot between June and July. But June has typically been reserved for games with a broader appeal, like Mario Tennis and Mario Maker. Xenoblade fits nicely with July's recent releases. The month of May has not been a consistant release window for Nintendo. It's post-Golden Week in Japan and the middle of nothing for the rest of the world. I'd say that April is more likely a release window for Xenoblade than May is... and that's being fully aware that AC would completely overshadow it if it came in April.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If I'm Nintendo I'm like salivating at the idea that 30 million people could be watching the Game Awards this year. 30 million is a HUGE number and I'd want to bring 3 announcements.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Would love some Master Chief in Smash. Is this a realistic possibility? Heard it being thrown around but is there any smoke to this rumor?
is it possible, probably. is it happening? probably not. if anything, I'm surprised a Master Chief costume wasn't added with Banjo, in addition to Steve for Swordfighter

Status
Not open for further replies.