• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Alright gang, how does the Pokémon Direct affect our chances?

• #TeamAppetizer (a Direct will come between 1/14 and 1/17)

Votes: 806 70.6%
  • #TeamEntrée (this is the main course; another Direct won’t come until later)

Votes: 237 20.8%
  • I'm on #TeamAppetizer, but I don't necessarily think it will happen next week.

Votes: 99 8.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017
Until proven otherwise Capcom clearly has no interest in providing real support to Switch. There is clearly a rift between the two companies that doesn't just have to do with porting costs and ROI, considering RE Revelations 1+2 sold extremely well on Switch, better than XB1 and PS4 combined IIRC.

One day we'll find out what went down between them.

Absence of rich support isn't indicative of a rift or some drama. Business doesn't have to be juvenile or like high school cliques where you've a new best friend every week. Sometimes business direction just doesn't line up, and that's irrespective of whether or not things are possible or even sensible.

Capcom's big push the last few years has been games clearly targeting Xbox One / PlayStation 4 tier specifications, of which the Switch is not. Their biggest games are Monster Hunter World, Devil May Cry 5, and Resident Evil 2 Remake (alongside now Resident Evil 3). All three of these are technically impressive games pushing late generation image quality on the most powerful home consoles available. I'm not at all suggesting it's impossible these games could run on Switch, more that the gulf in processing power clearly puts the Switch in the backseat of priority when it comes to porting these games. Even if builds are possible (and I personally think for some it absolutely should be, namely Resident Evil 2), it may simply not be in Capcom's interest to spend the time and money porting them across (even outsourcing) when they've other priorities. Resident Evil 2 Switch is not at the top of their list, Resident Evil 3 Remake with multiplayer is.

The absence of a Switch exclusive AAA title from Capcom also isn't indicative of a rift. Business changes, priorities change, and again it might simply not be in Capcom's interest to commit dev time/resources to a game built exclusively to the Switch despite how well titles performed on the 3DS so many moons ago. Like a lot of developers evidence in output suggests that Capcom's main focus, as in where they're spending most of their money, is on the technologically leading platforms. And that they've found so much success there just encourages them to keep doing that.

As for the ports we've got and their stupidly high over pricing...that's a Capcom thing in general, in my opinion. They price gouge on most platforms, even if the Switch gets stung the worst.

But yeah. I get it's disappointing that Capcom hasn't come along with exclusives of massive support from ports and whatnot, and it seems like they did a better job of this in the past. But I'd also say evidence suggests not a rift, so much as them finding incredible business success on other platforms with a production focus that isn't perfectly aligned with the Switch's capabilities. Sometimes there's no real juicy story, just different business ideologies.

Kcannon

Oct 30, 2017
Until proven otherwise Capcom clearly has no interest in providing real support to Switch. There is clearly a rift between the two companies that doesn't just have to do with porting costs and ROI, considering RE Revelations 1+2 sold extremely well on Switch, better than XB1 and PS4 combined IIRC.

No AAA support = Rift?

This is nonsense. You're sounding like that guy who thought Bamco was having a feud with Nintendo because of MP4 public shame, even though the public at large doesn't even know they were involved.

Every company has priorities, and right now Capcom has theirs. They will stick with the strategy they have now, and maybe give Switch something great if they have the resources.

Game development is fucking fierce right now. Changing plans is difficult due to most AAA games requiring over 3 years of development on average.

OP
OP

Raccoon

May 31, 2019
My posts always end up on the end of pages...

Anybody passing by, remember to check the OP for (fairly) current updates!

vedrua

Oct 26, 2019
Will yall feel disappointed if Nintendo only shows a new character for Smash and nothing else?
No, i would be delighted. Why should we expect actual games reveals when we can have the 74534th character in Smash?
(I love Smash, I totally get why adding characters is really cool, but I just can't taje this huge hype for DLC anymore)

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Absence of rich support isn't indicative of a rift or some drama. Business doesn't have to be juvenile or like high school cliques where you've a new best friend every week. Sometimes business direction just doesn't line up, and that's irrespective of whether or not things are possible or even sensible.

Capcom's big push the last few years has been games clearly targeting Xbox One / PlayStation 4 tier specifications, of which the Switch is not. Their biggest games are Monster Hunter World, Devil May Cry 5, and Resident Evil 2 Remake (alongside now Resident Evil 3). All three of these are technically impressive games pushing late generation image quality on the most powerful home consoles available. I'm not at all suggesting it's impossible these games could run on Switch, more that the gulf in processing power clearly puts the Switch in the backseat of priority when it comes to porting these games. Even if builds are possible (and I personally think for some it absolutely should be, namely Resident Evil 2), it may simply not be in Capcom's interest to spend the time and money porting them across (even outsourcing) when they've other priorities. Resident Evil 2 Switch is not at the top of their list, Resident Evil 3 Remake with multiplayer is.

The absence of a Switch exclusive AAA title from Capcom also isn't indicative of a rift. Business changes, priorities change, and again it might simply not be in Capcom's interest to commit dev time/resources to a game built exclusively to the Switch despite how well titles performed on the 3DS so many moons ago. Like a lot of developers evidence in output suggests that Capcom's main focus, as in where they're spending most of their money, is on the technologically leading platforms. And that they've found so much success there just encourages them to keep doing that.

As for the ports we've got and their stupidly high over pricing...that's a Capcom thing in general, in my opinion. They price gouge on most platforms, even if the Switch gets stung the worst.

But yeah. I get it's disappointing that Capcom hasn't come along with exclusives of massive support from ports and whatnot, and it seems like they did a better job of this in the past. But I'd also say evidence suggests not a rift, so much as them finding incredible business success on other platforms with a production focus that isn't perfectly aligned with the Switch's capabilities. Sometimes there's no real juicy story, just different business ideologies.

I completely understand that they have certain priorities but why exactly is porting things like RE0-6 and DMC1-3 all separately seen as a more profitable project than porting something like RE7 or RE2? They are well aware that more recent games will sell better, and as I already pointed out RE games have done extremely well on Switch, to the point where they could sell more than on other platforms.

Not to mention the terrible pricing and packaging of these games.

To me it all comes back to the fact that Nintendo no longer publishes Capcom games in Europe like they've done for a long time, and now Capcom doesn't even release their games physically in Europe on Switch. It stinks of stubbornness and a sorta game of chicken going on between the two companies. Does Nintendo give in and agree to publish their games again or does Capcom give in and stop missing out on a bunch of sales?

It's not really a personal beef in this scenario, but a business beef.

No AAA support = Rift?

This is nonsense. You're sounding like that guy who thought Bamco was having a feud with Nintendo because of MP4 public shame, even though the public at large doesn't even know they were involved.

Every company has priorities, and right now Capcom has theirs. They will stick with the strategy they have now, and maybe give Switch something great if they have the resources.

Game development is fucking fierce right now. Changing plans is difficult due to most AAA games requiring over 3 years of development on average.

Drastically reduced support from previous Nintendo platforms is the issue, not simply lacking AAA support. And sure, changing plans can take a lot of time and money but farming out ports to other companies isn't gonna heavily divert their resources. Many other publishers have done this with current gen games, why can't Capcom?

Iron Galaxy even publicly offered to port MHW, a game that would quite easily and obviously give an enormous ROI.

srtrestre

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
6Gd3LIH.png

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
skipped through the gamexplain list for 100 women who should be in smash. Fun video.

not one The Last Story mention, which was a Nintendo exclusive. (or Radiant Historia with Eurca)
was a bit surprising given a few of the names that were on there lol

HockeyBird

Oct 27, 2017
Can't believe Churchill, Stalin and Roosevelt are all going to be the Game Awards. Geoff really does know people in high places.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Now that Smash is basically confirmed it can't be the big Nintendo announcement 2 years in a row in my eyes. It was the big announcement last year and Marvel was the smaller announcement. This year Smash has to be the smaller announcement with something bigger.

@dedmunk

Banned
Oct 11, 2018
What's up y'all? Who is ready for Star Fox GP and Metroid Prime Trilogy HD reveals at The Game Awards?!

Imran

Oct 24, 2017

The answer is simple

After the Wii U, Tsujimoto didn't believe in Nintendo consoles. It was an educated guess. It turned out to be wrong. Oh well. It will take them longer to spin up the gears.

I'd let 2020 finish before you declare it to be a matter of drama, because I imagine the only hurt feelings here are on the part of Nintendo fans and not any actual companies.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
A new Nintendo game beginning of show
Smash character in the middle of the show
BotW 2 towards the end of the show

Lintendo

Sep 11, 2018
Who is from Europe and is gonna get up in Time and watches the Game Awarads at 02:30 am? Hands up if you are 🤚🏻

Imran

Oct 24, 2017
I just don't see the business sense in not porting RE7 or RE2R (and before anyone talks about power those run quite well on a GPD Win 2, which is a pretty good approximation for Switch power) when RE has done so well on Switch so far.
RE7's loading is going to always prevent it from coming to Switch locally. They would have to redesign the way the game works.

Vern

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Who is from Europe and is gonna get up in Time and watches the Game Awarads at 02:30 am? Hands up if you are 🤚🏻

my dumbass woke at 2 am last night for the indie direct. Wasn't worth it. I'd say based on past experiences with thegame awards even if it is daylight hours it's not worth watching.

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
my dumbass woke at 2 am last night for the indie direct. Wasn't worth it. I'd say based on past experiences with thegame awards even if it is daylight hours it's not worth watching.

Unless you really want to watch like 2h of a badly paced awards show, TGA is something you watch on the side while doing something else.

Vern

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Unless you really want to watch like 2h of a badly paced awards show, TGA is something you watch on the side while doing something else.

or just vaguely follow announcements via era threads and then watch the trailers that you are interested in. anything but actually watching that shitty ass production. And wasn't it more like 4 hours last year?

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I didn't realize how many people don't like the Game Awards. All around I see and hear people don't like it. It's too long. Awards feel meh.

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
or just vaguely follow announcements via era threads and then watch the trailers that you are interested in. anything but actually watching that shitty ass production. And wasn't it more like 4 hours last year?

3.5h apprently but they're going shorter this year.

I didn't realize how many people don't like the Game Awards. All around I see and hear people don't like it. It's too long. Awards feel meh.

I just think the format is weird. They know that nobody will tune in for a regular awards show which is why they half-ass that part. In turn, people care less and less about the awards.

Status
Not open for further replies.