• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Alright gang, how does the Pokémon Direct affect our chances?

• #TeamAppetizer (a Direct will come between 1/14 and 1/17)

Votes: 806 70.6%
  • #TeamEntrée (this is the main course; another Direct won’t come until later)

Votes: 237 20.8%
  • I'm on #TeamAppetizer, but I don't necessarily think it will happen next week.

Votes: 99 8.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
GBA ?

Its library (especially 1st party) was not that impressive. (Same goes for the DS tbh but that one got a loooot of great games).

I always prioritize quality over quantity. GBA was the home of my all time favorite first party games: Advance Wars, Golden Sun, Fire Emblem (both), WarioWare, Warioland 4 and Mario & Luigi Superstar Saga.

And diversity. GBA had a monster third party support: Sonic, Crash, Spyro, Banjo, Castlevania (x3), Megaman Zero (x4), Boktai, GTA, Max Payne, Kingdom Hearts, Final Fantasy (FFT was one of my favorite GBA games), The Sims, Tony Hawk, Doom, Street Fighter, Tekken, Need For Speed...

Don't get me wrong Switch is one of the greats but in terms of diversity, it's still not up there. Give it time, it's just 3 years old.

Mickagau

Dec 11, 2018
France
Switch library is insane. Having one system only was such a smart decision.
And some of my fav IP are not even out. I have a feeling Animal Crossing New Horizons will truly be something special.
Just to imagine 2020 could also bring Pikmin, new 3D Mario, new Kirby, SMTV, 2D Metroid...
I can't wait !

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
It's that nintendo is so weird about announcements. Last year we knew way more about their 2019 first half release schedule. In 2020 we know about one internally developed game coming out (AC).

Anyways... Another year gone with absolutely nothing shown from retro.
no we didn't.
we knew NSMBU was January, Yoshi was "Spring" and FE was "Spring". FE ended up getting delayed to summer.

people always change history lol

MaitreWakou

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 15, 2018
Toulouse, France
Absolutely, I think 2020 will be just as good as 2017 and 2019.

In 2017, I said Switch will go down as the greatest software library that Nintendo ever had. And I've stuck to that belief every year. I don't say it to be a delusional Nintendo fangirl. I genuinely believe that -- in the very end -- Switch's software library will wipe the floor with SNES, GameCube, DS, 3DS. And it won't even be close. Not even close at all.

There's still a ton of unannounced games. Switch owners will continue to be bombarded with software (first party, third party, indie).
Np-BCMw6-2.png

Me imagining all the awesome first party games we'll have in a few years on Switch

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Let's do this, a total fantasy release list for exclusives:

January: TMS#FE E
February: -
March: Animal Crossing New Horizons
April: Pikmin 3 Deluxe
May: -
June: No More Heroes 3
July: Xenoblade Chronicles DE
August: Bravely Default 2
September: BOTW 2
October: Bayonetta 3
November: Super Mario Odyssey 2
December: -

I don't think we will see a Pokémon game this year, DP remake will be 2021 in my view. If the above line up pans out, that does rival 2017 and 2019 in my view.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Let's do this, a total fantasy release list for exclusives:

January: TMS#FE E
February: -
March: Animal Crossing New Horizons
April: Pikmin 3 Deluxe
May: -
June: No More Heroes 3
July: Xenoblade Chronicles DE
August: Bravely Default 2
September: BOTW 2
October: Bayonetta 3
November: Super Mario Odyssey 2
December: -

I don't think we will see a Pokémon game this year, DP remake will be 2021 in my view. If the above line up pans out, that does rival 2017 and 2019 in my view.
Would be a very meh year for me.

Baybob

Oct 4, 2019
ahhh, seeing those Geoff avatars makes me smile :)
not because of who was wrong, they just are so funny.

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
"calling out" Nintendo?

lol it's not their event. Kinda glad there was no smash or botw2 if only to make people calm down on their expectations sheesh

Deleted member 33

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
The Switch isn't beating the SNES for me, or even the GameCube, until it gets its own 10/10 Metroid game.

The line-up gets better every month, though, and I can see how it's conparable with Nintendo's best as-is.

Metroid is one franchise that will get plenty of love on Switch. I think Switch will satisfy Metroid fans. Nintendo isn't giving up on Star Fox anytime soon either.

I always prioritize quality over quantity. GBA was the home of my all time favorite first party games: Advance Wars, Golden Sun, Fire Emblem (both), WarioWare, Warioland 4 and Mario & Luigi Superstar Saga.

And diversity. GBA had a monster third party support: Sonic, Crash, Spyro, Banjo, Castlevania (x3), Megaman Zero (x4), Boktai, GTA, Max Payne, Kingdom Hearts, Final Fantasy (FFT was one of my favorite GBA games), The Sims, Tony Hawk, Doom, Street Fighter, Tekken, Need For Speed...

Don't get me wrong Switch is one of the greats but in terms of diversity, it's still not up there. Give it time, it's just 3 years old.

It's funny that you mention this. Because I think diversity is the main reason why Switch will go down in history as Nintendo's greatest system. And diversity is the main reason why Wii U (even though it had quality software) will go down as Nintendo's most disappointing system. Even the N64 had more diversity and depth than the Wii U.

You mention how GBA had diversity because it had games like Crash, Spyro, Doom, Mega Man. But Switch also has Crash, Spyro, Doom Eternal, Mega Man 11...

Switch has been an absolute monster when it comes to RPGs. Japanese RPGs, Western RPGs. Indie RPGs. This week alone, we had announcements for Sports Story and Bravely Default 2.

Deleted member 8791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I've personally given up on Nintendo giving much meaningful content beginning of the year. Animal Crossing is the biggest first half game since BotW and will satisfy a lot of people. I hope some surprises are announced to keep me happy.

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
Exclusives that's worth mentioning:

Q1:
Dr Kawashima's Brain Training - Nintendo
Tokyo Mirage Sessions #Encore - Nintendo
Animal Crossing: New Horizons - Nintendo

Unspecified:
Xenoblade Chronicles DE - Nintendo
No More Heroes 3 - Marvelous
Rune Factory 5 - Marvelous (Xseed)
Deadly Premonition 2 - Marvelous (Rising Star Games, Ignition Entertainment)
Ninjala - Gungho
Bravely Default II - Nintendo (Square Enix)

Console Excl (for now)
Panzer Dragoon Remake - Forever Entertainment
Hollow Knight: Silksong - Team Cherry
Axiom Verge 2
Windjammers 2 - Dot Emu

That's 5 Nintendo published games, for comparison this year we've had 19 of them. We dont know much of the lineup yet.

Nice list and breakdown
always a little annoying when a post definitively goes
Here is X 2020 games:
and is missing like 10.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Metroid is one franchise that will get plenty of love on Switch. I think Switch will satisfy Metroid fans. Nintendo isn't giving up on Star Fox anytime soon either.
Interesting, especially Star Fox would be a unique addition to any library currently around due to the type of game it often is. And I'm pretty sure my fellow thread visitors can get plenty excited about Metroid ;)

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Plot twist:

Retro actually has been working on a Star Fox game since 2016 or whatever and they'll announce it at E3 2020 for release that holiday season.

OP
OP

Raccoon

May 31, 2019
listen I love the guy but 9-Volt 's taste is pretty unique. he's like armand white to me, every time there's an opinion being discussed it's contrary to the zeitgeist. in a way I respect that but dude, his saying that Switch doesn't have diversity or whatever means very little to the average fan.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
I'd love to think that for metroid....but prime 4 is far off, and nintendo wants to keep sitting on prime trilogy until 4 is close.

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Absolutely, I think 2020 will be just as good as 2017 and 2019.

In 2017, I said Switch will go down as the greatest software library that Nintendo ever had. And I've stuck to that belief every year. I don't say it to be a delusional Nintendo fangirl. I genuinely believe that -- in the very end -- Switch's software library will wipe the floor with SNES, GameCube, DS, 3DS. And it won't even be close. Not even close at all.

There's still a ton of unannounced games. Switch owners will continue to be bombarded with software (first party, third party, indie).

This is very nice to hear. I've felt like this since Fall 2018 at least, when we could see where the system was going. As always, your input is very appreciated, especially the list for 2019 that really helped bring some reason and stability to the discourse. I hope that you're successful with whatever you've got planned for the next year.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
listen I love the guy but 9-Volt 's taste is pretty unique. he's like armand white to me, every time there's an opinion being discussed it's contrary to the zeitgeist. in a way I respect that but dude, his saying that Switch doesn't have diversity or whatever means very little to the average fan.
The switch is diverse if you are a big rpg fan, otherwise....

OP
OP

Raccoon

May 31, 2019
Skyrim isn't exactly new....
okay, how about the fact there's mario, sonic, crash, and spyro all on one system?

but I guess those are ports too, huh

how about the variety of really good indie games? goose game was a de facto switch title for a while, and there have been loads more great games on that front

it could be that I'm just trying more stuff in the switch era

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm pleading with Nintendo PLEASE get Star Fox right. This is their opportunity to make Star Fox what it should be for modern gaming. Switch is lined up with a huge audience for it.

MaitreWakou

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 15, 2018
Toulouse, France
I hope Star Fox goes back to Nintendo EPD.
Or to PlatinumGames. Let them go wild with it this time. Just without the Wii U controls, it would be better.
Classic Star Fox experience, but that looks better, that plays wayyy faster, and go wild with the cosmic shit.

stan423321

Oct 25, 2017
GBA ?

Its library (especially 1st party) was not that impressive. (Same goes for the DS tbh but that one got a loooot of great games).
I can absolutely agree that first party stuff on GBA was a bit lacking in comparison to other Nintendo systems, especially if the more experimental stuff didn't hit. However the third party support reached levels that, I would argue, wasn't really reached by any other Nintendo system; in particular, Western third parties' efforts were absolutely unparalleled. DS probably accumulated a similarly gem-full third party library, but it had way more time to get there.

Status
Not open for further replies.