• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Alright gang, how does the Pokémon Direct affect our chances?

• #TeamAppetizer (a Direct will come between 1/14 and 1/17)

Votes: 806 70.6%
  • #TeamEntrée (this is the main course; another Direct won’t come until later)

Votes: 237 20.8%
  • I'm on #TeamAppetizer, but I don't necessarily think it will happen next week.

Votes: 99 8.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
the ds never had stuff like breath of the wild, splatoon, smash brothers, luigi's mansion, dark souls, diablo, xenoblades, grid autosprt, witcher 3, skyrim, bayonettas, astral chain, devil may crys, resident evils, no more heroes, dooms, wolfensteins, the outer worlds, proper football games, proper basketball games, proper dragonball and naruto fighting games or big multiplayer games like rocket league, warframe and fortnite.

don't live in nostalgia. the switch is the best nintendo gaming machine ever already. and I'm not even counting the dozens of great indies available.

As I wrote in one of my other posts, the DS had a lot more bold and experimental titles from Nintendo.

And the Switch got a lot of late gen ports while the DS got a lot of original titles from third parties like like Layton games, Trauma Center, Trace Memory, three Castlevania, five Bomberman games, 11 Mega Man games, over four Phoenix Wright games, an original Resident Evil, Ōkamiden, the Etrian Odyssey series, Luminous Arc series, Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker series, I can go on. So while it's nice the Switch is getting third-party support, especially western support, very few of them are original titles build for the system and are downports of games that you can buy cheaper and at a better quality on other systems. That and the complete lack of Capcom support outside of the hand me downs.

Also, I wouldn't call the Switch's version of Fifi proper when it's an inferior legacy title. And the DS had several 'proper' Dragon Ball games like Dragon Ball Z: Attack of the Saiyans (which is a severely underrated gem made by freaking Monolith) and Dragon Ball Z: Supersonic Warriors 2.

Honestly, gamers seemed to have forgotten how nuts the DS's third-party library was because the games weren't high-profile AAA games or western.

So while I love my Switch, "best nintendo gaming machine ever", not even close. Not by a long shot. In terms of Nintendo's first party, I prefer the Wii over the Switch. In terms of third-party, it's a tie between the SNES and the DS.

Last edited:

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Surprised no wii u port in january or February. Like they could easily just stick one there for filler. Especially with not even a december game.
Tokyo-Mirage-Sessions-FE-Encore

???

Wander_

Banned
Feb 26, 2018
As I wrote in one of my other posts, the DS had a lot more bold and experimental titles from Nintendo.

And the Switch got a lot of late gen ports while the DS got a lot of original titles from third parties like like Layton games, Trauma Center, Trace Memory, three Castlevania, five Bomberman games, 11 Mega Man games, over four Phoenix Wright games, an original Resident Evil, Ōkamiden, the Etrian Odyssey series, Luminous Arc series, Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker series, I can go on. So while it's nice the Switch is getting third-party support, especially western support, very few of them are original titles build for the system and are downports of games that you can buy cheaper and at a better quality on other systems. That and the complete lack of Capcom support outside of the hand me downs.

Also, I wouldn't call the Switch's version of Fifi proper when it's an inferior legacy title. And the DS had several 'proper' Dragon Ball games like Dragon Ball Z: Attack of the Saiyans (which is a severely underrated gem made by freaking Monolith) and Dragon Ball Z: Supersonic Warriors 2.

Honestly, gamers seemed to have forgotten how nuts the DS's third-party library was because the games weren't high-profile AAA games or western.

the switch has thousands of "experimental titles" on the eshop.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
This is one thing I love about the Switch. The system is an absolute RPG beast. There are so many on the system it's crazy. The system being portable makes playing RPGs on it that much better too. As an RPG fan, the Switch has become a must have system.
Makes me wish rpg's were for me. Anytime jrpgs are shown, I just gloss over them.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The DS is one of the worst Nintendo systems for me. Nintendo's first party first and foremost matter. Third party is complimentary.

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
we have thousands of "experimental titles" in the indie market.

And I was talking about Nintendo's first party when I said that, so what's your point? Just because we have an Indie market, which existed on the Wii too which is how we got World Goo, doesn't excuse Nintendo or other third-parties for taking the safe route. While I love my Zelda, I also love when Nintendo do off-the-wall shit like Ring Fit Adventure, which is one of my favorite games Nintendo has made for me in a long time.

Deleted member 5159

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

So while I love my Switch, "best nintendo gaming machine ever", not even close. Not by a long shot. In terms of Nintendo's first party, I prefer the Wii over the Switch. In terms of third-party, it's a tie between the SNES and the DS.

you mention a lot of ports on that ds list but ok. Also ports and multiplats are not the same thing, and the ds had no eshop and no digital only/indie games. not to mention that the switch is only in its second year and that third party exclusives arent really a thing anymore

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
you mention a lot of ports on that ds list but ok. Also ports and multiplats are not the same thing, and the ds had no eshop and no digital only/indie games. not to mention that the switch is only in its second year and that third party exclusives arent really a thing anymore

A lot of what I wrote weren't ports.

And 'third party exclusives arent really a thing anymore' will always be a knock against the Switch compared to the older systems. Especially when those ports and multiplats will almost always be inferior to other systems on a technical level with portablity being the only real reason you would buy the Switch version. Also not helping that a lot of third-party sell their often inferior ports at mark-up prices, looking at you Capcom.

The Switch maybe Nintendo's best system in the long run, but it isn't there yet and it doesn't have the same Japanese third-party muscle that the DS had. Some of that being Capcom's fault, Konami not really making games anymore, and Hubson being eaten by Konami. Honestly, the only Japanese third-party closed to what the DS was doing is Square. The one thing the Switch has is a lot of western support who wouldn't look at a portable like DS, and even then the DS actually got Call of Duty games.

Deleted member 5159

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Also, there seems to be a misunderstanding about ports and the switch. Any previous non portable game port has the additional value of turning into a portable experience on the switch. not all work but most do, and its glorious tbh

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
The DS is one of the worst Nintendo systems for me. Nintendo's first party first and foremost matter. Third party is complimentary.

While I love Nintendo games and will almost always chose Nintendo, some of my favorite franchises are third-party. So any Nintendo system with lackluster third-party will always be meh to me. Heck, about 70% of the games I own on the Switch is third-party to the point that the only Nintendo games I bought last years were Smash and Torna. But if you want to count Nintendo publish games, I bought Dragon Quest Builders and Octopath Traveler.

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017

I think the complete opposite. I love Nintendo's first party but big names like Mario, Zelda and Metroid are not for me. I wouldn't mind if Mario completely disappears. Between 1992 and 2001, I have bought only 4 Mario games and 2 Zelda games on SNES and N64 and those are the best gaming years I had.

DS gave me some of my favorite Nintendo pub games: Elite Beat Agents, Jam with the Band, WarioWare DIY, Yoshi's Island DS, Diddy Kong Racing DS and the best mainline Pokémon games ever: Black and White.

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
Also, there seems to be a misunderstanding about ports and the switch. Any previous non portable game port has the additional value of turning into a portable experience on the switch. not all work but most do, and its glorious tbh

That only really matter if you plan to used your Switch as a portable. For me, my Switch stays in the Dock 95% of the time and rarely leaves the house. The one time I really used my Switch as a portable is when I go out of town on long trips once or twice a year. So while it being portable is a nice bonus, I don't used it often enough to talk about. That and there are more than a few games that I don't like playing portable on the Switch like Splatoon 2.

Deleted member 5159

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A lot of what I wrote weren't ports.

And 'third party exclusives arent really a thing anymore' will always be a knock against the Switch compared to the older systems. Especially when those ports and multiplats will almost always be inferior to other systems on a technical level with portablity being the only real reason you would buy the Switch version. Also not helping that a lot of third-party sell their often inferior ports at mark-up prices, looking at you Capcom.

The Switch maybe Nintendo's best system in the long run, but it isn't there yet and it doesn't have the same Japanese third-party muscle that the DS had. Some of that being Capcom's fault, Konami not really making games anymore, and Hubson being eaten by Konami. Honestly, the only Japanese third-party closed to what the DS was doing is Square. The one thing the Switch has is a lot of western support who wouldn't look at a portable like DS, and even then the DS actually got Call of Duty games.

i agree that the ds library was indeed amazing and that it may still be better than the switch's but not for long. First party quality alone is miles better on the switch

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
The exclusive support Nintendo enjoyed during the GBA-DS heyday is pretty much irreplaceable in my eyes. They haven't yet been releasing enough compelling 1st party software, nor bartered enough deals for better exclusive support, to make up the difference.

Honestly, and I'm sure folks will disagree with this, but Nintendo's lineup over the last few years had really started to look like what they would be releasing as a 3rd party developer, not a platform owner. Pretty much a constant stream of their most popular franchises, new IP focused mostly on the casual audience, and the rest of their IP disappearing.

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
i agree that the ds library was indeed amazing and that it may still be better than the switch's but not for long. First party quality alone is miles better on the switch

Depends on what you value in Nintendo's first-party. Like I would say Pokemon's output pales in comparison to the DS with all the spin-offs along with Gen 4 and 5 being so great with brand new Pokemon. That and I never been a big Mario fan, and the DS actually got an original Mario Kart instead of a port of game that Nintendo had the nerve to sell back to me for $60 and only added a battle mode and few new characters. Which is an utter rip-off if you owned the Wii U version and bought the DLC for it.

At the same time, Switch gave me Splatoon 2 and Smash.

Deleted member 51691

Banned
Jan 6, 2019
DS had a bunch of great lower-budget third party titles but was definitely pretty weak in terms of first-party lineup. Software-wise a mixed bag imo. There aren't really any first-party DS games I truly love but the DS also gave me Ace Attorney.

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
The exclusive support Nintendo enjoyed during the GBA-DS heyday is pretty much irreplaceable in my eyes. They haven't yet been releasing enough compelling 1st party software, nor bartered enough deals for better exclusive support, to make up the difference.

Honestly, and I'm sure folks will disagree with this, but Nintendo's lineup over the last few years had really started to look like what they would be releasing as a 3rd party developer, not a platform owner. Pretty much a constant stream of their most popular franchises, new IP focused mostly on the casual audience, and the rest of their IP disappearing.

A game like Ring Fit Adventure literally can't exist on anything the Switch. Also, what third-party are you thinking of that released half as many games as Nintendo?

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
Yes(until swish), but I'm also a mario kart fan but don't like other racers.
From what I can see, if you want to try JRPGs, is that there is a lot of crossover between Pokemon fans and Dragon Quest / Fire Emblem ones.

Dragon Quest XI S and Fire Emblem Three Houses are two great games and great entry points (there is even a 10 hours DQXIs demo).

Also, play Hollow Knight, it is 15$ (which is a steal) and one of the best Metroidvania ever.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Kind of crazy to think Animal Crossing is coming in 3 months. I barely see any talk of it from the fans here. Its been like 7-8 years since the last mainline AC game?

MaitreWakou

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 15, 2018
Toulouse, France
Kind of crazy to think Animal Crossing is coming in 3 months. I barely see any talk of it from the fans here. Its been like 7-8 years since the last mainline AC game?
Yeah, Era isn't really the community to talk about it.
There's a lot of fans, but there's no huge Animal Crossing Era community like the Smash community.
We're just waiting for the game to release lol.
Personally I'm surprised it took this long to release ! The Switch will be 3 years old !
I remember back in 2017, I was so sure that 2018 would be the year of Animal Crossing.

laziboi

Alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2019
Your Anus
I don't know, the Switch could beat the DS in the long run. The DS had a lot of unique titles from Nintendo. But these days, they'd be more on the level of current indie games. Switch is getting more ambitious stuff like ARMS, Labo, Ring Fit, Astral Chain, and others. By the end of the Switch's life, it'll probably beat the DS as Nintendo's most creatively ambitious period.

False. ARMS and Astral Chain for example aren't "Casual". A third party Nintendo would be a lot worse.

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
I don't know, the Switch could beat the DS in the long run. The DS had a lot of unique titles from Nintendo. But these days, they'd be more on the level of current indie games. Switch is getting more ambitious stuff like ARMS, Labo, Ring Fit, Astral Chain, and others. By the end of the Switch's life, it'll probably beat the DS as Nintendo's most creatively ambitious period.

False. ARMS and Astral Chain for example aren't "Casual". A third party Nintendo would be a lot worse.

Why do people here keep thinking that because Indie games are being original means that everyone else doesn't need to be? And I wouldn't call ARMS nor Astral Chain really ambitious and I like Astral Chain. It was pretty standard Platinum in many respects and ARMS felt like a natural evolution of Wii Boxing, not a revolution. In companions, Ring Fit takes what Wii Fit did and put into a RPG and made it work.

laziboi

Alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2019
Your Anus
Why do people here keep thinking that because Indie games are being original means that everyone else doesn't need to be?

I never made that argument. I just said that by today's standards, much of what you see on the DS would come from Indie developers these days.

And I wouldn't call ARMS nor Astral Chain are really ambitious and I like Astral Chain. It was pretty standard Platinum in many respects and ARMS felt like a natural evolution of Wii Boxing, not a revolution. In companions, Ring Fit takes what Wii Fit did and put into a RPG and made it work.

Obviously they're not overblown AAA titles, but they're still bigger in budget and scope than your standard indie game.

Zippo

Banned
Dec 8, 2017
DS's first party lineup was pretty weak. I have zero interest in playing New Super Mario Bros., MKDS, Diamond and Pearl, Starfox Command, Prime Hunters, Brain Age, etc. Ever again. Phantom Hourglass was terrible.

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
I never made that argument. I just said that by today's standards, much of what you see on the DS would come from Indie developers.

Maybe, bit that really doesn't undercut my statement that Nintendo was far more bold and experimental in the DS/Wii era. The Switch in comparison is more 'back to basic' with some weird shit like 1 2 Switch and Labo. For example, while I liked Odyssey more than both Galaxy games, I found Galaxy far more bold and different while Odyssey was going back to the 64/Sunshine model. Heck, I found 3D World more bold than Odyssey in some respects despite people calling it Mario comfort food because it introduced four-player multiplayer in a 3D Mario game.

laziboi

Alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2019
Your Anus
The Switch in comparison is more 'back to basic' with some weird shit like 1 2 Switch and Labo.

The Switch is a more versatile system than the Wii, but that doesn't make it a "Back-to-basics" system. If that was the case, you can argue the DS was "Basic" as well since plenty of the system's best games can be played traditionally. Just because the Switch offers a traditional control scheme, doesn't make it a "Back-to-basics" system. Far from it actually.

For example, while I liked Odyssey more than both Galaxy games, I found Galaxy far more bold and different while Odyssey was going back to the 64/Sunshine model.

Odyssey is very bold in its own right. Changing up the coins mechainc, throwing Mario into a realistic New York like city, and the Capture mechanic are all pretty bold and ambitious ideas.

Status
Not open for further replies.