• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Alright gang, how does the Pokémon Direct affect our chances?

• #TeamAppetizer (a Direct will come between 1/14 and 1/17)

Votes: 806 70.6%
  • #TeamEntrée (this is the main course; another Direct won’t come until later)

Votes: 237 20.8%
  • I'm on #TeamAppetizer, but I don't necessarily think it will happen next week.

Votes: 99 8.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Consistent updates on current community speculation in the OP

Raccoon

May 31, 2019
This thread is now complete. Raccoon will return in the spring (maybe). Thanks so much, everybody!
NintendoDirectSpeculation.png

Graphic courtesy of previous thread by Muzy

Welcome, everyone, to the third official Nintendo Direct speculation thread. I'm Raccoon, and I'm extraordinarily excited and honored to be making this thread. I offer my thanks and respect to Kevin360 and Muzy, the authors of the OT and OT2, respectively. More info will be filled out soon, but I want this OP to focus on frequent updates with current information and summary of community expectations. This post will improve with time.
One point I'd like to address: while there will be ultimately some kind of overlap between 1st party discussions and Direct discussions, I imagine the Direct thread would be more focused on speculation, possible leaks and rumors than this one. It would basically be a thread to contain "all the madness" in one place to keep this thread more level-headed and on-topic.

We've discussed to have a dedicated thread after Moon's suggestion yesterday and came to the conclusion that this might work for the best going forward. So: if anybody is interested to make that thread, they are officially allowed to do so.

Only thing I'd like to ask for is that the OP keeps the opening post updated and tries to keep up with the discussion/speculation.
Nibel's post above represents the "charter" for the Nintendo Direct Speculation threads

Incidentally, Handicapped Duck wins "20,000th Post in the Last OT" award. Everyone please congratulate them accordingly (per Dark Cloud they are indefinitely barred from participation in this topic, but this will prove difficult to enforce). Also, the subtitle of this thread was selected by a strawpoll and was initially suggested by skittzo0413.

Everyone, please remember to neither pester insiders for intel nor berate them for ill-tidings. Insiders and leakers are human, and many are respected members of the ResetEra community. Remember to be respectful of all other members at all times, no matter how strongly you disagree with their speculation. Lastly, it is best to keep spam messages to a minimum; speculation is generally better received than pure, unadulterated nonsense. However, as always, have fun. NintendoEra is a weird and wacky community with a surprisingly narrow circle of key players/dorks, so I encourage newcomers to hop in and get to know everybody!

Oh, and make sure to check the threadmarks! I try to add fun and/or relevant posts, including the occasional straw poll.

Out of respect, here is Kevin360's original phrasing:

The purpose of this thread:

To better contain the madness of ResetERA's Nintendo Direct speculation, and keep it relatively separate from the Nintendo First-Party thread.

As a general rule, let's try to avoid too much "reset the clock" type posts, until of course, we have a really good reason to think it's time to actually be resetting the clock. Madness must have some modicum of reasoning, you know?

ALSO: DO NOT MESSAGE/HARASS AND TAG 'INSIDERS' (this should go without saying, but they've alluded these things crossing the line)

Helpful
links:
Nintendo First Party Thread |OT3| Internal x External x Publishing - What's cooking?
Nintendo Community Thread |OT| *This Space for Rent* (brutal)
Switch Rumor Archive Rebirth (Read posting rules in OP)
NintendoEra Discord:
https://discordapp.com/invite/rEXr9tC

Previous threads:
Nintendo Direct Speculation |OT|
Nintendo Direct Speculation |OT2| Reset the Thread
Last Direct: September 4, 2019

When's the next Nintendo Direct?

Here are my thoughts from December:
"Almost certainly in either January or February. January would be more standard based on previous trends, but last year January was skipped in favor of a February event. There may be a January Direct, but recent hints from insiders have suggested that no one is aware of one. January isn't unreasonable to expect, but February is a safer, more conservative bet."

However, there is a growing camp that believes that the Pokémon Direct will directly precede a so-called "general" Nintendo Direct on Thursday the 16th or Wednesday the 15th. I am of the opinion that if neither of those happen, we might see a February Direct, March Direct, or even no Direct until E3. Basically, I have no idea.

Oh, and Team February lost, btw.

What do we expect to see there?
Possible announcements:
- Animal Crossing: New Horizons info
- the final Smash Bros DLC

- the Metro collection port rated in European territories
- Devil May Cry 3
- probably Bayonetta 3
- Tokyo Mirage Sessions FE: Encore

Did an insider say there will be a Direct next week?
No. No insiders have commented on the timing of the Direct except for Zell, who said there wouldn't be a Direct til E3. He was almost certainly joking, but this is amusingly the only timing hint we have.

Oh yeah, I keep hearing about DMC3 confirming a Direct? What's up with that?

First date is interesting....

Obviously this is no confirmation.

Howdy there, I'm an American. Where the heck is Brain Age?
We don't know, sir. But, one Twitter user thinks it might have something to do with this:
Someone sent this link to me earlier today. Note, it's just speculation:

Earlier you mentioned Bayonetta 3?
As noted in this thread, it seems likely that we'll finally see Bayonetta 3 news in an early 2020 Direct, based on the promises of upcoming news from PlatinumGames.
Okay, how about Splatoon 3?
From July 2019:
Splatoon 3 had not started development as of July. In the interest of fairness I feel compelled that these sorts of comments are not always entirely reliable.

And remember...
👀

Last edited:

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
TGA will have a Smash reveal, a BOTW trailer, and a full Bayonetta 3 reveal.

SMTV found dead in Miami.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've got a new thread to *adds thread to watch notifications*

also lmao

Incidentally, @Handicapped Duck wins "20,000th Post in the Last OT" award. Everyone please congratulate them accordingly (per @Dark Cloud they are indefinitely barred from participation in this topic, but this will prove difficult to enforce).

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
I still feel like a January Direct doesn't make sense if Nintendo continues to treat TGA as the place to drop a couple of megaton announcements and then scurry off. I'd still bet on the Q1 Direct being February/March like the last few have been.

OP
OP

Raccoon

May 31, 2019
I support the notion that each Nintendo Direct Speculation Thread have a new OP.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So let's see what will this topic see?

-Game Awards
-January and March directs
-February direct
-E3

I think we'll be on a new topic around E3.

Okabe

Is Sometimes A Good Bean
Aug 24, 2018
TIME FOR DMC4 BAYBEEEEE

You'll all get it soon enough..

ASilentProtagonist

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
No way they'd show BOTW2 at TGA's this year, they'd save it for Direct (Jan, or Spring). I can also see BOTW2 being Nintendo's major E3 game for 2020

Bayonetta 3 is looking unlikely at TGA's after PG's comment on Babylons Fall.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I have to remember where we came from. Way back to the beginnings of the first OT. We fought hard. Blood, sweat and tears to make the Nintendo Direct Speculation topic a possibility 😭

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No way they'd show BOTW2 at TGA's this year, they'd save it for Direct (Jan, or Spring). I can also see BOTW2 being Nintendo's major E3 game for 2020

Bayonetta 3 is looking unlikely at TGA's after PG's comment on Babylons Fall.
botw 2 can and will be in several directs.
dragon quest 11 and daemon x machina were each in like 5 directs, lol.

Nov 4, 2017
Directs are more exciting than birthdays and Christmas combined for me. My inner 10 year old Nintendo fanboy is hyped. I guess some juicy details at TGA will have to satisfy me until 2020.

OP
OP

Raccoon

May 31, 2019
Thread cover turned out a little orange than I meant it to somehow, but I'm going to choose to live with it.

edit: And now I'm going to bed, y'all. I hope you all like the thread! Many thanks to Muzy and Kevin360 for allowing me to take up the mantle.

edit2: I changed the cover entirely because I could not, in fact, choose to live with it.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Raccoon

May 31, 2019
What's this I hear about Metroid stuff? Sources?
Metroid Prime Trilogy HD was rumored by reputable sources such as the former king zell. Metropid 5 is speculation based on the statements made by the development studio Mercury Steam, responsible for the Samus Returns 3DS remake. The latter is definitely speculative, although it may be rumored by the occasional insider as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.