• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Alright gang, how does the Pokémon Direct affect our chances?

• #TeamAppetizer (a Direct will come between 1/14 and 1/17)

Votes: 806 70.6%
  • #TeamEntrée (this is the main course; another Direct won’t come until later)

Votes: 237 20.8%
  • I'm on #TeamAppetizer, but I don't necessarily think it will happen next week.

Votes: 99 8.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
2020 and by Retro

raw

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's fucked up that the relationship between Nintendo and Bandai Namco deteriorated so badly they retroactively cancelled Smash Bros. Ultimate.

Kevin360

OG Direct OP
Oct 25, 2017
It.... it hasn't even been a year since they rebooted MP4.

Only saying this to remind myself not to expect anything anytime soon.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
the fact that other than a basic port, retro doesn't even have a small eshop game to show for the gap between the release of tropical freeze and the start of the development of rebooted MP4 is just crazy.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
the fact that other than a basic port, retro doesn't even have a small eshop game to show for the gap between the release of tropical freeze and the start of the development of rebooted MP4 is just crazy.

They spent six years adding Funky Mode and changing the shape of DK's nostrils.

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Even worse, we don't even have them credited as assisting development on a game, unlike how they helped on Mario Kart 7 between Returns and Tropical Freeze.

Deleted member 51691

Banned
Jan 6, 2019
A few Easy Allies members gave their predictions of Nintendo at the Game Awards. Kyle and Damiani expect if Smash is there then Nintendo will show more than 1 character. Brad is all about BotW 2 and seeing some gameplay or some context and what the world looks like that we'll be in. Damiani can see a new collaboration between Nintendo and a third party like Mario + Rabbids or another licensed game like Marvel. Brad hoping Retro has a game (before Prime 4) and it's 3D DK.

Agree with Kyle and Damiani. I think Nintendo wants that insane reaction to Joker again, and I suspect FP5 alone would not produce that reaction so they will have to bring in the first post-Fighters Pass DLC.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I had to make sure it was Jon. He said on Twitter he did make the comment. He's brought it up in the past they're under NDA. Nothing much you can do. Nobody wants to get in trouble, lose their job or ruin their career.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Is it possible to get yourself stuck in super metroid to the point where you need to reset the game to go back to your save point? Because I feel like that has happened to me

AllEchse

Oct 29, 2017
Is it possible to get yourself stuck in super metroid to the point where you need to reset the game to go back to your save point? Because I feel like that has happened to me
Also don't forget that you have a run button.
There's that one bridge that you NEED to run across or you'll fall through as it's made of those disappearing blocks.
That bridge got me so many times until I lesrned again and again until I learn every time that you don't run autmatically like in the GBA games.

MusicProposition

User requested ban
Banned
Aug 21, 2019
It amazes me that people on this forum have the urge to express their hate on a Youtuber like Arlo based on his preferences in the Nintendo catalogue of games. He's not a journalist, and if you don't want to hear his opinions, then just don't watch him. Many people do want to hear what hes saying, because he's carefully examining the topics he wants to discuss in an often objective way. And even if he didn't, that wouldn't be such a big issue. I think it really is alarming when people aggressively try to elucidate that they're displeased with the work someone else is doing just because it's on a topic they're passionate about. This occurs often in the Nintendo community and it's not helping anyone.

OP
OP

Raccoon

May 31, 2019
It amazes me that people on this forum have the urge to express their hate on a Youtuber like Arlo based on his preferences in the Nintendo catalogue of games. He's not a journalist, and if you don't want to hear his opinions, then just don't watch him. Many people do want to hear what hes saying, because he's carefully examining the topics he wants to discuss in an often objective way. And even if he didn't, that wouldn't be such a big issue. I think it really is alarming when people aggressively try to elucidate that they're displeased with the work someone else is doing just because it's on a topic they're passionate about. This occurs often in the Nintendo community and it's not helping anyone.
The discussion was precipitated by his Retro Studios exposé, which is a more journalistic/less editorial video.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
11 more days until the next Nintendo Direct (Game Awards). I'm happy Nintendo takes it serious. Nobody really talks about how Nintendo bringing BotW to the first Game Awards in 2014 is a big deal. Nintendo helped pull viewers in

Lintendo

Sep 11, 2018
Guys, the Year is coming to an End, I don't think Nintendo is doing an Direct this Year anymore... so we all expect to be one in January 2020 at the earliest... what do you wish or expect what the Next Direct will show and annouce?

I really want a Zelda Collection with at least Zelda WW HD & Zelda TP HD... and for everything else I let me surprise...

Deleted member 51691

Banned
Jan 6, 2019
11 more days until the next Nintendo Direct (Game Awards). I'm happy Nintendo takes it serious. Nobody really talks about how Nintendo bringing BotW to the first Game Awards in 2014 is a big deal. Nintendo helped pull viewers in
I think you can thank Reggie for that. Nintendo even showed up to Geoff's scrappy little VGX in 2013. Granted, all they brought was Cranky Kong, but points for attendance I guess?

Lintendo

Sep 11, 2018

Well what ever is it going to be... please let it be Zelda BotW2, i need my dose of Zelda again🙈

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think you can thank Reggie for that. Nintendo even showed up to Geoff's scrappy little VGX in 2013. Granted, all they brought was Cranky Kong, but points for attendance I guess?
Yeah I think Reggie is the one who got the ball rolling. He was friends with Geoff and knew this was a good opportunity for Nintendo.

Well what ever is it going to be... please let it be Zelda BotW2, i need my dose of Zelda again🙈

I need a heavy dosage of Zelda!

Clov

Oct 25, 2017

You could argue that him telling viewers don't believe things people are saying is a good sign since most of what people are saying is speculative doom and gloom.

Makes me wonder if they even have a cancelled game at all. Maybe it's already finished, and will release in the first half of next year!

That is a bit optimistic, yes, but it's a nice thought.

Deleted member 51691

Banned
Jan 6, 2019

You could argue that him telling viewers don't believe things people are saying is a good sign since most of what people are saying is speculative doom and gloom.
I think he was saying to be wary of people claiming they have inside knowledge of what Retro is doing and the status of the studio because the stakes are too high for any Retro employees to risk breaking NDA. Did Arlo cite anonymous sources in his video or something?

SiG

Oct 25, 2017
Agree with Kyle and Damiani. I think Nintendo wants that insane reaction to Joker again, and I suspect FP5 alone would not produce that reaction so they will have to bring in the first post-Fighters Pass DLC.
They will start by announcing Reimu (the "Huh?" moment), then cap it off by announcing Gordon Freeman (the "People lose their collective shit" moment).

Gordon may not be DLC5, but he could very well be DLC1 of Season 2.

karmitt

Oct 27, 2017
I think he was saying to be wary of people claiming they have inside knowledge of what Retro is doing and the status of the studio because the stakes are too high for any Retro employees to risk breaking NDA. Did Arlo cite anonymous sources in his video or something?

He covered GlassDoor reviews of Retro, but he admitted he didn't really believe the vast majority of them.

Edit: pretty sure he also covered the articles about rumors of Retro having multiple projects, and one being cancelled.

Makes me wonder if they even have a cancelled game at all. Maybe it's already finished, and will release in the first half of next year!

I'm hopelessly still believing they have something else in the works slated for launch before MP4.

I'm curious how far the NDA reaches, but I'd love to hear if Jon Verall think's we'll ever see the game he worked on. The other ex-Retro employee didn't hesitate to comment similarly a while back:

Last edited:

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
you'll get Donkey Kong 64-2 and you'll like it

I'd...I'd honestly be more excited for DK 6–2 than Zelda lol. It means DK has finally returned back to 3D!

Possibly

You'd think 2020 would be the final year if Retro had anything coming.

and three years later it scooped GOTY :^)

😁 and deservedly so!

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I wonder If Nintendo has to put in the contract for a Retro employee "you must be able to handle a crazy fanbase, who will constantly speculate on forums and Youtube on what you're doing at work" lol.

Last edited:

Method

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder If Nintendo has to put in the contract for a Retro employee "you must be able to handle a crazy loveable fanbase,who will constantly speculate on forums and Youtube on what you're doing at work" lol.
And also "Btw you won't ever actually release any games. We just eat BBQ all day"

falcondoc

Oct 29, 2017
Arlo is mad corny IMO. 'Game-cube kid' is an apt description.

He's the type of Nintendo fan who really only likes Mario, Zelda, and Metroid and cries about too many anime characters in Smash.

Everywhere

Banned
Jun 12, 2019
I wonder If Nintendo has to put in the contract for a Retro employee "you must be able to handle a crazy loveable fanbase,who will constantly speculate on forums and Youtube on what you're doing at work" lol.
I'd love to know what is going on at Retro Studios. Crazy that they have gone this long without releasing a game. Nintendo is a saint.

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017
Like I said ages ago, the Retro situation is super interesting because of how abnormal their output has been. Releasing not a single complete original title in over five years (it'll be over six by the time Prime 4 drops) is unprecedented and indicative of...probably something not so good. And it's hard to draw a timeline when a lot of what we know comes from the grapevine, which isn't necessarily reliable nor vetted. The general assumption is that at some point after Tropical Freeze there was intention to turn Retro's production pipeline into one that could handle two titles. There were rumours that one title was going well, and the other was having difficulties. We've since got a port of Tropical Freeze with little in the way of new, substantial content, and...that's it.

Nintendo passing on Metroid Prime 4 to Retro is the big question mark, because it implies a bunch of conflicting stuff. One, that Retro has or had the manpower free to take on a title. You'd naturally assume they didn't if they were very busy with one or two titles already, unless Nintendo pulled the plug on everything to focus on Prime 4 (much like they did with the original Prime), calling into question exactly how far along other titles at Retro were. We know they were working on at least one title that wasn't Prime 4. Alternatively, the staff are free because said title is/was borderline complete, which given Prime 4's interjection fits a production timeline nicely. But then the question is...where is it?

And then, of course, there's the scrutiny of a team's ability to see through production reliably. While I can sit here and comfortably say Retro is a 4 for 4 studio for me, and literally every major work they've produced is fucking outstanding, reality is that people move around, mistakes are made, sometimes shit doesn't work out, and despite the quality we've seen thus far there may be issues with production at Retro. They are, to the best of my knowledge, a lot smaller than a lot of people assume (BioWare is the same), and taking on big AAA productions is daunting. But of course, if we assume shit hit the fan at Retro and over the last 5+ years they've dropped by the ball on two major productions, you have to wonder why Nintendo would give them Prime 4 coming off the back of Bandai Namco's own production failure. Even with oversight and leadership from Nintendo, you'd think that in of itself would be a risky gamble; spending significant time and money on production at Bandai Namco, seeing them fail to meet quality standards, and then deciding to spend even more time and money rebooting the whole thing in the hands of...a developer coming off one or two of its own production failures.

I think that's why for the longest time, except maybe now, I've assumed there must be something else coming from Retro. Something more or less finished. Because I cannot fathom what'll be 6+ years of dev time producing a port of Tropical Freeze. It's absurd. Let alone being given the mantle of Prime 4 despite this.

And all that may in fact just be the case. Retro failed to see through production on one, two, or more titles over what'll be 6+ years. Time, money, and manpower lost. And still Nintendo felt giving them Prime 4 was worthy, probably so they could oversee it directly, internally, and so familiarity with the franchise and producers would help get Retro back on track.

The real story probably isn't anywhere as interesting as I make it sound, but I'd love to know what has happened. Similar to how we got that God of War documentary detailing the ups and downs of Sony Santa Monica, which similarly took 5+ years to make God of War '18 off the back of God of War: Ascension, a process that involved cancelling a major original IP and letting go of a bunch of staff.

Status
Not open for further replies.